Options

Nikon D700

Comments

• Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Fine, be excited, but please stop eating my popcorn!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Fine, be excited, but please stop eating my popcorn!
    Laughing.gif! Now I want popcorn...
    As I said before, I think it will be two FX bodies.
    Personally, I like getting excited about new cameras :lurk
    I think we've just about debated this thing to death, and I must say it has been a pleasure. :-)

Whichever camera they announce along with the D4 on the 24th, I'm sure it will rock.

As my final "argument" before I settle down to wait for the release, (or a legit leak) ...all I'll say is that I don't think a dual-FX release is likely, because:

* It has never happened before. (Releasing two cameras at different price points, but with the same sensor)

* It would negatively affect D4 sales in a huge way. Especially considering that Nikon has made a habit of giving the D700 and D300 access to 8 FPS speed with the addition of a grip, AND dual card slots in the D300s, I just see too big of a conflict in the lineup. It just makes more sense for Nikon's profit margins, if they announce a D400 instead.

* Things being out of stock is normal for Nikon. Add to that a Tsunami that has definitely affected Japanese production, and the fact that Nikon has a plant in Sendai which is right next to the area of maximum devestation.

That's all for now, folks! I'll see you on the 24th. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Yes, but it's a heck of a coincidence.

speaking of coincidences... D700 brochures are no longer available on Nikon's site.. just sayin.

outside of that, I think Matt has a way more realistic point of view on the situation..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    RockyOneRockyOne Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2011
    Love the tag John
    Icebear wrote: »
    The best RUMORS anyway :D

Love the tag re how much glass you 'may' have. Guess I am a bit that way too, but then the lady of the house has shoes stashed in places she has forgotten about and jewellery enough to start her own pawn shop. So, when one of those Hoarders TV specials come on, we change channels real quick ;-)thumb.gif
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Well, it's the 24th in this country... where is the announcement?!?!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    New Coolpix cameras announced on yesterday the 24th. See Nikonrumors.com if interested in details.

Apparently another announcement is anticipated in a few more weeks. Nikon mirrorless is expected for that announcement and perhaps new DSLRs.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I get all excited about these new DSLRs and all we see are some point and shoots? Canon should have a DSLR announcement in Sept./Oct., as should Nikon. D4 and something else, I think. Canon could introduce the 5DIII, 1DV, 1DsIV, who knows. CR thinks it'll be the 5DIII.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Whole lotta nuthin' from Nikon today, wot?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Boooooo! Although I'm glad Nikon finally made a waterproof P&S. Now I don't have to buy a Canon / Sony / Olympus when I finally save up enough to get a P&S... :-)

I dunno what to predict as far as DSLR vs EVIL for the "next announcement". Historically, there simply MUST be a new flagship DSLR announced asap; Nikon is very, very good about release cycle tradition. Maybe we'll see a D4 and an EVIL D400 / D7000? Hmmmm...

=Matt=
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Boooooo, indeeed.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    well, car parts it is, then.. :(
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    tatetate Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    D700 vs D7000
    Ok, I have been obsessing about upgrading my current camera...Nikon D40 ...My first thought upon researching was to go with the Nikon D700. Of course they are no where to be found...Was at a camera store today and they had me look at the D7000...so now looking at that. I keep going back to the D700 because that was my first initial "must have" and dont want to make a mistake and purchase a D7000 to save money and then a year down the road want something else. I have been in business for the past year, thats why I feel its time to upgrade. I love love love my D40, but like I said I think its time. I shoot portraiture and love my 50mm 1.4 lens so that is compatible with both the D700 and D7000. Another thing that is making my steer away from the D7000 is I dont like that it overexposes in outdoor settings.....Is there any advantage for someone like myself who has a small business to jump into a full frame camera, or is the FF more for someone who shoots weddings? Just wondering opinions...Thanks so much! If I have to wait to get the D700 then I will, but am slightly intrigued by the D7000.......

Christy
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    tate wrote: »
    I shoot portraiture
    Christy

'Nuff said for me to offer my $.02 worth. FF is wonderful for portraiture. You'll absolutely love it. If you can afford the D700, buy it . . . unless you want to wait for pie-in-the-sky-by-and-by.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Icebear,
    Thanks, I had a feeling that someone was going to say that. I have obsessed for months about the D700 and read all the reviews...then when I said, ok, lets do it...cant find it anywhere! I am on some waiting lists at different camera stores, so will just wait it out....
    Christy
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    @tate, I own both a D7000 and a D700. While you most likely would not regret purchasing a D7000 (especially coming from a D40), the D700 is in a completely different league. As Icebear said if you're looking at a new purchase for portraits the D700 is amazing. Pair that up with a 85mm 1.8 or 1.4 and it's gold.
  • Options
    brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Ok, I have been obsessing about upgrading my current camera...Nikon D40 ...My first thought upon researching was to go with the Nikon D700. Of course they are no where to be found...Was at a camera store today and they had me look at the D7000...so now looking at that. I keep going back to the D700 because that was my first initial "must have" and dont want to make a mistake and purchase a D7000 to save money and then a year down the road want something else. I have been in business for the past year, thats why I feel its time to upgrade. I love love love my D40, but like I said I think its time. I shoot portraiture and love my 50mm 1.4 lens so that is compatible with both the D700 and D7000. Another thing that is making my steer away from the D7000 is I dont like that it overexposes in outdoor settings.....Is there any advantage for someone like myself who has a small business to jump into a full frame camera, or is the FF more for someone who shoots weddings? Just wondering opinions...Thanks so much! If I have to wait to get the D700 then I will, but am slightly intrigued by the D7000.......

Christy
    I had my D7000 at the end of July, the first week of August my wife and I spent a week in Wyoming I shot about 2000 images in various outdoor light conditions but not even one, in my humble opinion, is overexposed. Can you elaborate more about this topic?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2011

Christy
    Quite simply, my opinion is that if you want to call yourself a professional, you should have professional equipment in your bag. The D700 is a rock-solid workhorse of a camera; it may not have all the latest bells and whistles but it gets the job done, day in and day out. I've shot weddings / portraits with the D700 and D7000 side by side, and I have to say that while either camera could easily get the job done, only the D700 will allow me to truly push the envelope of what I like to shoot.

I did want to mention however regarding the performance of the D7000: No camera "overexposes in outdoor settings" unless you LET it. In my opinion, 90% of the time habits of overexposure in a camera are simply due to the photographer not "taking the reins" in harsh conditions, like they ought. I've owned four or five DSLR's in the past, and have NEVER noticed a habit of over-exposure in any of them simply because I don't ever assume that what my light meter gives me is "correct". Unless I'm taking a picture of a grey card, that is. So, unless you're looking for a camera with which you can go around casually clicking away in P mode, ...don't worry about any rumors about this or that camera over-exposing... ;-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    I had my D7000 at the end of July, the first week of August my wife and I spent a week in Wyoming I shot about 2000 images in various outdoor light conditions but not even one, in my humble opinion, is overexposed. Can you elaborate more about this topic?
    Thank you.

Oh I am happy to hear that! I was just going by what I had read under DP review and Ken Rockwell review on the camera......Now I spoke with Best Buys last night and they said that the D700 was no longer being made....I really was looking for a place that had some financing....since its such an expensive camera..........The typical camera places, Adarama, B&H, Ritz doesnt have the camera D700 in stock...I get nervous to purchase online from a place I havent heard of before...where did you get your camera from?
  • Options
    ^
    sorry, I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I got all my cameras via ebay..

If you want a financing, just look for a CC with 0apr for a year. that's how I got me the new lassin last couple of weeks (70.-200, 24-70) - CITI, 16mo 0 apr.. :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    If you are still looking for a D700, Precision Camera in Austin, TX just got a couple the other day. I don't work for them, so this isn't a self-serving ad.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    well I just called Nikon and they said that no the D700 is not discontinued....she also told me that she understands how yes I want a new camera now, but she said to be patient...if it was her, she would wait it out save up some $ and purchase the D700. I know that was my original want...and if it was available when I went to place an order, would have been what I bought.....so now of course I have the d7000 coming in , but can always try it out and then make a decision. She also said that my 50 mm 1.4 lens is already a fx lens and on the dx camera not getting the full effect of it anyways........so thanks everyone for your opinions and comments...I really appreciate it. clap.gif
  • Options
    The D700 is discontinued? Sounds like something BestBuy would say lol3.gif Seriously, Best Buy is Worst Buy for cameras.

I'm also not surprised to hear that the Nikon rep thinks you should get the D700 mwink.gif
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    You should have asked why it's been out of stock for almost a year now on Shop.NikonUSA.com if it isn't discontinued. The product number might not be discontinued but we've only been left to believe no new D700's will be manufactured and none have been for a while now. I just checked Amazon and the new D700 body only are now selling for $3,000. I should have waited to sell I only made a $700 profit on mine :p
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Here is a bunch on EBAY - http://tinyurl.com/3fk4f6c
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    Weak - Nikon got everyone all riled up for nothing. Maybe they will deliver some excitement in September :D
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2011
    Hello! I am Beyond Excited!!!!!!!!! Well my saga continues...my obsession on the D700....ha Today I went in under best buys website to check the order for the D7000 (should be here tomorrow) and to again read the reviews on the d700....well the D700 was there under the best buy website (love how I was told that it was discontinued 2 days ago?) so I ORDERED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo! I can not believe that I just spent that much money on a camera, but I know that deep down I had wanted the D700 and after all that you have said about it, that is the best move for me. I had even called Nikon and the rep said hold out and save money to buy the d700 rather than the D7000. I know that the D7000 is still an awesome camera, but like you all said with the portraiture work that I do, this is the best fit. Thank-you , Thank-you all for your input and help....I so appreciate it!

Another question though...I have the 50mm 1.4 lens which is a full frame lens...tht should still work very nicely as a portrait lens right? I have been using tht on my DX camera....(the nikon rep said that it hasnt been used up to its capabilities on the dx camera) I cant afford to get the 85 mm lens right now...

One last question...Since I have never dealt with CF cards, I ordered one from Sandisk Ultra at a 16GB....that should be good enough right? Now this should fit into my computer right? Do they have adaptors if not?

Have a good day everyone! I know I am! Oh no, I hope there isnt a huge learning curve..............
    Christy
  • Options
    tate wrote:
    One last question...Since I have never dealt with CF cards, I ordered one from Sandisk Ultra at a 16GB....that should be good enough right? Now this should fit into my computer right? Do they have adaptors if not?

It should be fine, as long as you ordered it from a reliable store. Bestbuy should be okay. Not ebay.

If you don't have a CF reader, they're cheap.
  • Options
    Hello! I am Beyond Excited!!!!!!!!! Well my saga continues...my obsession on the D700....ha Today I went in under best buys website to check the order for the D7000 (should be here tomorrow) and to again read the reviews on the d700....well the D700 was there under the best buy website (love how I was told that it was discontinued 2 days ago?) so I ORDERED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo! I can not believe that I just spent that much money on a camera, but I know that deep down I had wanted the D700 and after all that you have said about it, that is the best move for me. I had even called Nikon and the rep said hold out and save money to buy the d700 rather than the D7000. I know that the D7000 is still an awesome camera, but like you all said with the portraiture work that I do, this is the best fit. Thank-you , Thank-you all for your input and help....I so appreciate it!

Another question though...I have the 50mm 1.4 lens which is a full frame lens...tht should still work very nicely as a portrait lens right? I have been using tht on my DX camera....(the nikon rep said that it hasnt been used up to its capabilities on the dx camera) I cant afford to get the 85 mm lens right now...

Have a good day everyone! I know I am! Oh no, I hope there isnt a huge learning curve..............
    Christy
    1.) Wait on the 85, indeed. It is next in line among Nikon prime lenses to be updated with AFS-G, considering that Nikon just recently updated the 50 1.8 AF-D to AFS-G. Trust me, you want AFS-G. It's so amazingly accurate on the D700, it's awesome. SO yeah, don't worry about getting an 85 just yet. The 50 1.4 is awesome for portraits too, you just have to compose your shots a little closer and carefully, cause it's a slighly wider angle.

2.) Sandisk Ultra cards aren't exactly the most reliable, but if it's from a reputable dealer and it's a legit product, you should be fine. It's mostly the older "Ultra II" cards that I don't trust, the newer ones are fine. HOWEVER, you do need a backup. Just because you can shoot an entire portrait session on the 16 GB card, doesn't mean you can go into a job with just one card. Quite simply because, if there is ever a corruption issue with a card, what you must do is immediately stop shooting on that card, remove it from the camera, and save it for later when you can run recovery via the computer. If you only have a single memory card, corruption = game over... Personally, on my D700 for portraits and weddings, I just use 4 GB and 8 GB cards. I just don't like storing so many images on a single card. Not so much because of corruption, but moreso because of camera theft etc. If you shoot a wedding and get all the way to the reception on a single card and then you set your camera down for a split second, ...it could be game over if a wedding crasher is hawking you... So anyways, just shoot carefully and get a backup 4 GB or 8 GB card, just in case. :-)

Good luck!
    =Matt=
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    50mm on FF is fine for torso type portraits but you start creeping into perspective distortion on head shots. My experimentation shows 70mm is about the lowest you can go with minimal distortion. That said..if you are not shooting for money the distortion is pretty slight so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    oh no, I will be taking the photos for money.....I have the 70-300, so might have to switch over to that....well when I get it, I will have to post some pictures and see what all you think...Matt-good thought on the replacement card.....The CF cards should be in the store right, so I can get 2 8gb for the price of the 1.....