Options

Nikon D700

13»

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2011
    tate wrote: »
    oh no, I will be taking the photos for money.....I have the 70-300, so might have to switch over to that....well when I get it, I will have to post some pictures and see what all you think...Matt-good thought on the replacement card.....The CF cards should be in the store right, so I can get 2 8gb for the price of the 1.....
    A pair of Sandisk 8 GB cards should be like $60 on Adorama or B&H, and only slightly more in a local shop.

Personally, I shoot on ten 4 GB cards in case you were wondering. For a Nikon D700, that's about 400 images per card or 4,000 images total capacity. I usually shoot about 2,000 images at a wedding, so I can go two weddings without re-using a card. (Although I format right after download, of course.)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2011
    1.) Wait on the 85, indeed. It is next in line among Nikon prime lenses to be updated with AFS-G, considering that Nikon just recently updated the 50 1.8 AF-D to AFS-G. Trust me, you want AFS-G. It's so amazingly accurate on the D700, it's awesome. SO yeah, don't worry about getting an 85 just yet. The 50 1.4 is awesome for portraits too, you just have to compose your shots a little closer and carefully, cause it's a slighly wider angle.

Matt, I think I've read you on this topic before... I was confused then and am now. Are you talking about the 85 f/1.8D that is due for an upgrade, because isn't the 85 f/1.4 already AFS-G? I thought that was the lens that is considered the creme de la creme for Nikkor portraiture lenses...
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    Matt, I think I've read you on this topic before... I was confused then and am now. Are you talking about the 85 f/1.8D that is due for an upgrade, because isn't the 85 f/1.4 already AFS-G? I thought that was the lens that is considered the creme de la creme for Nikkor portraiture lenses...

That is correct. The 85 1.4mm was upgraded in 2010 and the 85 1.8 was released in mid 1990s according to NikonRumors.com - see http://nikonrumors.com/prices/
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    Yeah, I'm hoping with all my heart that Nikon will update the 85 f/1.8 soon, judging by the AMAZING experience I've had with the new 50 f/1.8 AFS-G. I have also shot with ALL of the new Nikon f/1.4 primes, and they're amazing but aside from the 50 f/1.4 AFS-G I do find them to be a bit heavy and overkill for my minimalist style. I love the 85 f/1.4 AFS-G and would love to own one, but being realistic I know my style is more suited for an f/1.8 update.

Hopefully Nikon will also give us an affordable wide angle prime update sometime soon, too. Now that we have a pro-grade 24 and 35, I'd love to see a 28 f/1.8 AFS-G at $400 or so. Those three lenses would just make my day in Nikon-land!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum