Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #13 (Frank Miller Style) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited August 23, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are eligible to enter this round (see below) you are not eligible to enter round #83

Welcome to number 13 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenges!
This contest will run from Monday,August 8th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, August 22nd, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: Frank Miller Style

Frank Miller is best known for his dark, film noir-style comic book stories and graphic novels. Frank has been involved in film adaptations of Sin City, 300 and The Spirit. In this challenge it is your job to create an image, or series of images arranged in comic book format panels, that depicts the style of Frank Miller.

There are no editing restrictions for this round. The use of frames will be allowed in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

Aspecto5
Cambyses
Chandlerja
cromwell
dlplumer
dlscott56
Froch
ghinson
ic4u
Johnloguk
JR303
jwear
kwickers
lkbart
Memol
photo-funtasia
powder
quark
richtersl
scas
SimpsonBrothers
torrbrae
WhatSheSaw
bf2015
GretaPics

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #13 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    "photographers"

This weekend was a milestone for me. I self-identified as a photographer without batting an eyelash. :D
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    To be honest I don't know if I have the software to be able to compete in this one.
    I'm not really grasping the concept of how to depict a comic book like layout in a XL size photo.
    Seems to me the details of the individual photos would be lost at that size once you put it together.
    It also seems that in order to depict his style you will have to massively manipulate any images you take.

Please forgive me if I seem to be complaining. I'm sure this will be very cool for allot of the photographers here and I expect we will see some great looking photo shop work.

I'm just a little sad because I was really looking forward to this Mega and was hoping for a more open subject matter.

I'm sure I will find something to throw up in the end :)

Good luck all!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one, too. But I don't believe you need to turn it into a cartoon-like character unless you really want to. Some of his work is done in B&W and is, indeed, very "film noir" with lots of dark shadows. Here's a Frank Miller style photo that someone posted on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boboroshi/431008830/

Right now I'm not even sure I can pull this one off here in rural PA. headscratch.gif But this is why it's called a Challenge, I guess! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Linda is correct, the challenge does not require multiple comic book frames nor do you need to convert your subjects into a cartoon character. This challenge is actually more about being able to tell a story and communicate something through your photograph(s). Your image can be a "single" frame or slice of the overall story that you are depicting.

The style of "Film Noir" is not about using Photoshop to manipulate your photographs. The style is more about how you use light. Of course as always post processing is allowed but without utilizing light correctly it wont matter what you do in post.

For those that think they need a whole boat load of lights or flashes or strobes, once again you can pull this style off with one light and it can be a desk lamp or a street lamp, even the sun will do. High contrast exposure will be the key in achieving the look.

Lastly you may feel that since the challenge is about "comic book" or "Film Noir" styling it would be mandatory to use people in your photograph. Again not true, with a little imagination you could use pets or even rocks to tell your story.

Hopefully that puts things into a better perspective for some of you.
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I guess I misread "In this challenge it is your job to create an image or series of images arranged in comic book format". I took that to mean that you wanted it in comic book format.

Sorry my brain is a little bit mushy because work is so nuts at the moment :)

Thanks for the clear up! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    OK, but I'm doing a Frank Miller pic with toothpicks.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »

Sounds like fun to me,

Call it 300 pickup?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    rolleyes1.giflurk
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    exif data?
    So, if I was to make a collage/comic book page...what do you need for exif data?
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    "photographers"

This weekend was a milestone for me. I self-identified as a photographer without batting an eyelash. :D

nice!! it's a huge step. good for you Karin.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Sounds like fun to me,

Call it 300 pickup?

Again! Nice....Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    powder wrote: »
    So, if I was to make a collage/comic book page...what do you need for exif data?

Links to each of the originals each with EXIF available.

Instructions here
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    This could be great, I love Film Noir and Frank Miller, just need to choose between all the wild ideas zooming round in my head :)
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    For those "stuck" for ideas, I did run across this: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/07/06/drawing-crazy-patterns-elektras-magic-sais/. Classic storyline by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson. :D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    I'm not good at this technology stuff...my exif seemed to have been simplified when I worked with my image in Elements. Is the data posted with it in the gallery sufficient? or does it need the full info showing "date taken"?
    sorry to be high maintenance :)
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2011
    I'm not good at this technology stuff...my exif seemed to have been simplified when I worked with my image in Elements. Is the data posted with it in the gallery sufficient? or does it need the full info showing "date taken"?

Date taken is the most important part of the EXIF that needs to be there. Since the EXIF has been simplified, you do have the option of linking to the original shot with full EXIF.

More details on how here
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    It looks like you selected File > Save for Web when you saved your photo. If you do that, it saves only basic exif information. To preserve the full exif you need to choose File > Save As when you save your photo. When you select the latter you also need to also choose the file type, which is JPEG.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I'm sure I saved it as the largest sized jpeg. When using elements, once I add the frame, then the exif data gets simplified. I think I have finally found the way to link the data. I'll repost it and try again.

On a similar note, Sean, is there a minimum size for images? When I "play" with photos on my ipad, it compresses them into a much smaller file. Is there a minimum daily requirement :) for the size of files posted in a challenge?
    thanks, Joy
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I'm sure I saved it as the largest sized jpeg. When using elements, once I add the frame, then the exif data gets simplified. I think I have finally found the way to link the data. I'll repost it and try again.

On a similar note, Sean, is there a minimum size for images? When I "play" with photos on my ipad, it compresses them into a much smaller file. Is there a minimum daily requirement :) for the size of files posted in a challenge?
    thanks, Joy

There is no minimum size but larger is always better. The size that the gallery displays is 1024x768, which actually happens to be the same resolution as the iPad. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    looks like were in for a scramble to the finish.... 8 of 27 a/o Saturday night.... Uh oh...
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    It would be a "sin" not to enter something. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    looks like were in for a scramble to the finish.... 8 of 27 a/o Saturday night.... Uh oh...

I noticed that too. It'll be interesting to see what pops up into both the mega and the regular Challenge galleries over the next 24 hours or so.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    I'm curious if there is something up with the challenges gallery. I am trying to upload a different image that is 4.62MB & it is telling me "File is too large to be uploaded." Especially weird since there is a 15.09MB shot already there & I've never had a problem uploading larger images in the past. I'll try again later to see if this too has passed.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I'm curious if there is something up with the challenges gallery. I am trying to upload a different image that is 4.62MB & it is telling me "File is too large to be uploaded." Especially weird since there is a 15.09MB shot already there & I've never had a problem uploading larger images in the past. I'll try again later to see if this too has passed.

If at any time something happens with the regular upload tool it is a good idea to try the "Olde Faithful" method as a fall back.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/new_add.mg?AlbumID=18444544&uploader=olde

I wonder why your file size is so large though? are you uploading something bigger than 1024x768?

EDIT: I just finished testing a 5mb+ file and it worked.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Thanks Sean - it worked okay for me with olde faithful (even though I got a weird page that opened with some 'href' garbage on it). And yes, the file is bigger than 1024x768 - I should figure out the best way to resize, but until then, I'm just letting Dgrin/Smugmug do it for me. Thanks again :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    It would be a "sin" not to enter something. mwink.gif

ouch....Laughing.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Very tough theme for me, I just don't connect with this, however, I will not give up, and therefore did enter. Especially hard for me this time around as I had one child starting College, one starting High School, and one starting Kindergarten, all this week, been a little hectic, and emotional! Best of luck to everyone!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    AAAAHHHHH! Now that I have uploaded my (somewhat disappointing) image, I have had the perfect idea. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

By the way, I uploaded very, very late last night, is my EXIF link good enough? Don't want another qualification for stupidity.

John
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    JR303 wrote: »
    AAAAHHHHH! Now that I have uploaded my (somewhat disappointing) image, I have had the perfect idea. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

By the way, I uploaded very, very late last night, is my EXIF link good enough? Don't want another qualification for stupidity.

John

Terrific entry John!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    JR303 wrote: »
    is my EXIF link good enough?

looks fine to me. thumb.gif