• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep..that it is.

here you go, 'gus:

14859174-L.jpg
  • MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Gus, why doesnt that Mac pocket knife have a 9" blade?! With a photoshop logo on it?! Or somtehing like that...

I think I will be going with Mac, maybe as soon as Christmas. This is my photography computer. And I dont think it will outdate itself any time soon (I dont see a new camera in my future. 20d now). So yeah.

Anyone know of a 30" I can have for free?
    TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful
    edited October 15, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif This is not directed at anyone in particular, but :deadhorse !

Of course I could just stop reading the thread, but it's kind of like driving past a car wreck.; it's impossible to NOT look! :D

it's important - becuase many folks just don't know how good & easy macs are.

anyone who wants a machine for their mother/father etc and is tired of answering tech questions left and right, should just buy them a mac mini for internet surfing and email, word proc etc. that alone saved me 3 hours a month, easily!
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Windows: 60,000+ (or somewhere around there)
    OSX: 0 (unless you count the ones that you need local access and an admin password--then I think it's 1 or 2.)
    David,

I was keeping out of this, but this deserves a correction.

I'm not going to get into technical differences between worms and viruses, they're not interesting to me.

The 60,000 figure only holds if we include all of the history of Windows, many depend on vulnerabilities that have been patched in subsequent releases... All well and good.

The first worm targetted UNIX systems, refered to as 'the Internet Worm'. MacOS X is a BSD UNIX system, primarily FreeBSD with a wrapper over the top. Again, all good, I like FreeBSD.

Therefore you would have to include it in your list for a fair and meaningful comparison.... A large fraction of the Windows Viruses don't work on Windows NT. (See the somewhat boring, but still worthwhile The Art of Virus Research by Symantec press for the reasons)

Apples are effectively easier to secure because there are fewer of them, anything more is somewhat unproven and potentially very wrong... However, they are still less vulnerable to attack because of their sparsity.

However, if you want security, go for the secure version of BSD UNIX, Open BSD.

Luke
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    David,

I was keeping out of this, but this deserves a correction.

I'm not going to get into technical differences between worms and viruses, they're not interesting to me.

The 60,000 figure only holds if we include all of the history of Windows, many depend on vulnerabilities that have been patched in subsequent releases... All well and good.

The first worm targetted UNIX systems, refered to as 'the Internet Worm'. MacOS X is a BSD UNIX system, primarily FreeBSD with a wrapper over the top. Again, all good, I like FreeBSD.

Therefore you would have to include it in your list for a fair and meaningful comparison.... A large fraction of the Windows Viruses don't work on Windows NT. (See the somewhat boring, but still worthwhile The Art of Virus Research by Symantec press for the reasons)

Apples are effectively easier to secure because there are fewer of them, anything more is somewhat unproven and potentially very wrong... However, they are still less vulnerable to attack because of their sparsity.

However, if you want security, go for the secure version of BSD UNIX, Open BSD.

Luke

I stand corrected. If you were to include the entire history of the Mac OS, including pre-OSX, then the total count of viruses is 60.

But when security sites show that Windows XP has highly critical security flaws and OSX's security flaws have been rated not critical, the choice is obvious.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that I did include the worm, as that's the "1 or 2 if you include needing local access and an administrator's password". I haven't heard of any virus or worm that can infect OSX without local access and an admin password.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005

I still don't buy the market share argument. The number of viruses simply isn't close to being proportional. Macs are small by percentage, but large in both absolute numbers and visibility. There are tens of millions of Macs out there, and they even have a retail chain placed only in high-profile locations. Shouldn't the number of Mac viruses be well above zero? That's why I believe the articles that point out the architectural reasons the Mac has no self-propagating viruses. Not to mention that too many Mac users are a tad on the arrogant side and Apple marketing is always like "we're sooooo amazing;" you'd think someone would have gotten fed up and taught them a lesson by now. Unless there are architectural differences that make Mac OS X more secure than Windows...hmm...

(I use both platforms, but prefer the Mac)
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    I still don't buy the market share argument. The number of viruses simply isn't close to being proportional. Macs are small by percentage, but large in visibility. There are tens of millions of Macs out there, and they even have a high-profile retail chain. Shouldn't the number of Mac viruses be somewhere above zero? That's why I believe the articles that point out the architectural reasons the Mac has no self-propagating viruses. Not to mention that too many Mac users are a tad on the arrogant side and Apple marketing is always like "we're sooooo amazing;" you'd think someone would have gotten fed up and taught them a lesson by now. Unless there are architectural differences that make it harder than on Windows...hmm...

(I use both platforms, but prefer the Mac)

The other reason I don't buy the argument is summed up by this:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    "Then don't do that."

For me, in this case, "this" would be putting up with the security issues and viruses in Windows or avoiding them by using a Mac.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    For me, in this case, "this" would be putting up with the security issues and viruses in Windows or avoiding them by using a Mac.
    In the current state of affairs, this seems entirely reasonable.

Anyhow, David, you suggested that I should consider discussing my partial-migration experience, consider this: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20466 to be an partial-expression of my pre-migration cyncism.

Luke
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    ok...more a question than an argument for PC. I have had hundreds of viruses/trojans & not one single one has done any damage to my computer. Whats the big scare all about ?

Next question...i understand fully about giving a mac thats easy to use to your parrents etc..but i know my way around a PC well & trully enough to process a photo/send email/play a game/search the net headscratch.gif I dont need to know more or do i ? Its not as if mac does those few things better is it ?

Im not adding fuel here but trying to work out what is so good about mac because i cant see it & there is clearly something there that no-one can convey to me.
    edited October 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Its not as if mac does those few things better is it ?

it does them the same *and* better. but that's my opinion lol3.gif everything about the mac experience is better imo.

that said, gus - pc's work great, and if you're used to that then switching mightn't be for you. nup - maybe you're not ready for the best computing experience on the planet :nah

y'know those nice breezy nights out in your kava-lair? it's kinda like that all day everyday when you use a mac lol3.gif
    edited October 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    y'know those nice breezy nights out in your kava-lair? it's kinda like that all day everyday when you use a mac lol3.gif
    Nothing is THAT good mate.
    edited October 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Nothing is THAT good mate.

nod.gif
    edited October 15, 2005
    To be honest..ive never seen anyone using a mac in 0z.

Sure im not involved in corporate takeovers & high end graphic design but even print & design shops here use PC. Ive never seen one at someones house or any of the mod squad having an alfresco half decaf double caf latte on the footpath with one.

I mentioned to someone the other day that i was considering a Mac & they replied "..thats an american thing". They are very thin on the ground around these parts. But the net makes us all equals.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I have, and over here in Godzone as well! Where have you been looking?

To echo Andy's sentiments, if you're not convinced you need a Mac, go buy a PC. I'm sure it will behave precisely as you are accustomed to from a PC. It's just that many computer users, in the US and beyond, have higher expectations which are delivered for them on the Mac platform.
    edited October 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Sure im not involved in corporate takeovers & high end graphic design but even print & design shops here use PC. Ive never seen one at someones house or any of the mod squad having an alfresco half decaf double caf latte on the footpath with one.

I mentioned to someone the other day that i was considering a Mac & they replied "..thats an american thing". They are very thin on the ground around these parts. But the net makes us all equals.

humungus the trailblazer!
    edited October 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Jurys still out.
  • MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep..that it is.
    This is more like it.
    TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful