Should I wait?

2»

Comments

• Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    No, I don't think they'll start at $4K.

Canon and Nikon make their price points at increments. The lower-end DSLRs (Rebels, Dx000, 60D) are about 30% different in price. For example, if you want to upgrade from a T3i to a 60D, or from a D5100 to a D7000, the new camera costs about 30% more than the old one. Once you get higher up, i.e. 5D2 D700 D3s etc., you pay about 70% more for each step up. A D3s costs about 70% more than a D700, for example.

If they make a $4K DSLR, it will upset this table, and it'll leave a huge gap in the lineup. Sales would also suffer, because many people won't think it's worth $4K, and some will just pay the extra $1K and get the 1D4.

They very well may have to raise the price, perhaps above $3K. But they can't go too far.

You're making the mistake of seeing it from a USA perspective. These days pricing is a global decision, and the cameras are made in the far east, not in the USA, so their benchmark will be the Yen and other far east currencies.

Of course, they could do it for $3k, but that would be a big price reduction when you see if from a Canon/Nikon point of view, as $3k in 2011 is much less than $3k in 2008.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    You need to stop thinking in $ and start thinking in Yen, just look how the $ has fallen:

Yen/Dollar

The price in $ would have fallen if the currency had been stable. The bad news is that assuming Nikon/Canon don't find some huge cost savings, the price of the next versions of these cameras may well start at $4k+ when they are released.

It's the same story in the UK as our currency has devalued as well.
    You have a VERY good point, and that is one of my main concerns too. It may sound "impossible" to an American (like myself) to think that out of the blue, the D800 and 5D mk3 will cost ~$4K. But seriously folks, we're not in Kansas anymore when it comes to the global economy. USD versus YEN is terrible right now, and inflation is far, far higher than the federal government would have you believe. A $4K "affordable DSLR" is not out of the question. My bet is still on $3K, optimistically, but I'm just saying we should probably prepare for the worst.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I have a different perspective. Your business is growing well with your old camera. So what is the problem? Seems like you are most worried by the 100k actuations and, without a backup, rightly so. It does NOT sound like you are missing specific top of the range features - at least none you have articulated.

I would be thinking of a 7000. It is a great camera and very affordable.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I have a different perspective. Your business is growing well with your old camera. So what is the problem? Seems like you are most worried by the 100k actuations and, without a backup, rightly so. It does NOT sound like you are missing specific top of the range features - at least none you have articulated.

I would be thinking of a 7000. It is a great camera and very affordable.
    I definitely got the opposite impression. It sounds like business has already outgrown the D80, and will continue to grow. A D7000, while an amazing camera and certainly perfect for many jobs, would only serve to be another "stepping stone" investment to a serious professional.

It could certainly get most any job done. I've shot at two or three weddings with the D7000, and it is quite a high-performance DSLR.

But when a hard-working professional tells me "I need a camera with hi iso low noise, better focusing control/speed and long life" ...I think of the D700 more than any other camera. All I can say is, I have shot more or less extensively with every Nikon (and Canon) camera in that price range, and to me the D700 is the best qualified "reliable, high-performance workhorse" for the job...

=Matt=
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    You're making the mistake of seeing it from a USA perspective. These days pricing is a global decision, and the cameras are made in the far east, not in the USA, so their benchmark will be the Yen and other far east currencies.

Of course, they could do it for $3k, but that would be a big price reduction when you see if from a Canon/Nikon point of view, as $3k in 2011 is much less than $3k in 2008.

So in Japan, $4K equiv. will be the same price that $3K equiv. was back in '08. Well, a $4K price would hurt USA sales. If they make it at $4K, they won't get as many sales as $3K would have gotten. I think the $3K sales would outprofit the $4K sales. Either way, they probably won't get as much profit as they did back in '08. Unless they make a really, really oustanding 5D3/D800, and people think that it's worth $4K of their US money.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Well if the dollar drops much more then in truth Nikon/Canon would be better off moving manufacturing here to save themselves money and to keep the prices where they will sell here. That and then they no longer pay the tariffs further driving down costs. The only good thing about the devaluation of the dollar is that at some point it will bring businesses here to manufacture for world wide distribution.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    MGRPhoto wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider a D7000 for my main body. Buggy new tech that will be replaced soon. I never pick up my D7000 over my D300s.

I'm sure most Nikon gear heads here at dgrin follow Nikon Rumors. Interesting post today on the D7100. Quite possibly a typo that was meant to be P7100. If it's accurate though it would lead one to believe we will see a D7000 replacement before we see a D300/D700 replacement. I've thought this since the D3100 came out.
  • Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Wow, I didn't think my thread would cont. Well here's an update: I can NOT find a new D700 anywhere. Everywhere I have tried are out of stock. This REALLY sucks. I don't want a used one and can't get the D3s just yet. :soapbox

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A D700?
  • tatetate Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Z06Nut wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't think my thread would cont. Well here's an update: I can NOT find a new D700 anywhere. Everywhere I have tried are out of stock. This REALLY sucks. I don't want a used one and can't get the D3s just yet. :soapbox

I ordered my D700 from Best Buys about 3 weeks ago......all I can say is its an amazing camera..I went from the D40 to this...(and I loved my d40, but the capabilities and the low light is amazing on this camera!)
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D700-FX-Format-3-0-Inch-Body/dp/B001BTCSI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318903519&sr=8-1
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 18, 2011

Suck it up and get one used. KEH is a great place to buy used gear with a good return policy, although ironically they only have NEW ones in stock right now.

Personally, I have bought used for the past 5+ years and I have never had a problem. Anything that can go wrong with a camera, I will either be able to test it the day I buy it, or whatever goes wrong after that will most likely be an accident that voids the warranty. Just put your gear on your insurance, that's all you really need. Or you can buy a warranty through KEH for $50.

Good luck!
    =Matt=
  • Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I just placed my order. Thanks everyone! Can't wait clap.gifivar
    edited October 18, 2011
    I just placed my order. Thanks everyone! Can't wait clap.gifivar
    You will thoroughly enjoy it! Honestly, coming from a D80, you will be in heaven. I know everybody says it's all about the lenses, but trust me as soon as you get that D700 attached to pretty much ANY lens, you will feel like you can shoot anything. Personally, I've been working for months now on nothing but a D700 and the new 50 1.8 AFS-G as my primary setup; I only rent other lenses when necessary. But there's not much you can't do with the D700 and anything ~f/2. If you're tight on cash, all you really need for a healthy portrait / wedding business is a 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 AFS, and 85 1.8... (though an AFS-G version is just around the corner)

=Matt=