Aperture (Apple application)

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    I am glad they decided not to recreate Photoshop (for now), and it was smart. They focused on what pros needed most. A solid workflow and local archiving system.

I too am very happy to see that they made a program that is essentially just for photographers. PS is awesome, but it has so much going on that many users do not need or ever use a lot of its features. I am getting excited to see what Apple delivers and how it works for my needs.
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    I have to have it. I want it NOW... Guess I'll go pre-order.

Agreed, for pro raw shooters (and serious non-pros). Am also interested in what will happen with IVMP (which I use now for import/cataloging). The better visuals would sure help with stock prep similars.

The recommended hardware was bring lotsa G5 processing power and RAM. I barely nudged in on that with a dual 2.3 and 3 gb. Imagine it's a slug on a Powerbook, look forward to hearing real world reports on that one.

(dang I'm glad for the 23" display now!)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    funny, i just sold my dual g5 to a dgrinner, so i could make room in the studio here for a quad g5 lol3.gif

Does the quad G5 really that much better than a dual G5??

I think I may wait to change hardware until the Intel 86 processor thing sorts itself out.

What will happen with Aperature with the new Intel-based Mac hardware? How will it compare to the quad G5? Any ideas, anyone??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does the quad G5 really that much better than a dual G5??

linky

indexcreativechart20051018.jpg
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:

I've seen that graph Andy. I just wonder how the dual core procesor machines will compare to the Intel-based machines to come ne_nau.gif

edited October 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I've seen that graph Andy. I just wonder how the dual core procesor machines will compare to the Intel-based machines to come ne_nau.gif

ahh well, that's months away :D so i'm gonna have a chance at them in '06
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

You'd also have to consider buying first gen on those machines is pretty risky. Plus give all the developers time to make the transition...I'd bet it won't be until the end of '07 that the transition is really complete enough to be rock solid.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 20, 2005
    Even I can't keep up with that Andy!! Ah well.

I think I will order Aperature though - It looks pretty cool in an Apple sort of way! And I may increase my holdings of stock in Apple also.

edited October 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    And I may increase my holdings of stock in Apple also.

smart man deal.gif
    edited October 21, 2005
    I'll be interested to see what Extensis come up with in the rumoured Portfolio 8.

Here is Extensis's Portfolio 8 press release.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    I'm having a little failure of imagination here. What's it going to do for me except make me need a faster computer?

Can someone outline a few simple scenerios?
    If not now, when?
    edited October 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Precisely!! Yup!! More fruit company :):

edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I'm having a little failure of imagination here. What's it going to do for me except make me need a faster computer?

It looks cool and it is faster than PS and makes no changes to the original image data at all, is what I think I understand. Is this about right Andy??

edited October 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    It looks cool and it is faster than PS and makes no changes to the original image data at all, is what I think I understand. Is this about right Andy??

I thought it was slower so that the 2xG5 I have now and which seems practically instantaneous for all the PS things I ever do with it won't be fast enough and I'll need the power of 4.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Rutt, have you viewed the Quick Tours? It's organic nature--lightbox, loupe, etc. is awesome. Works like a photographer thinks. Plus it's versioning is amazing. PF is right--no changes to the original, and you don't need to save out to jpeg/tiff to work on it. You're working on the original RAW file, making as many versions as you want. If you need to go to PS for more work, it'll make a jpeg/tiff for you to work with there. To me it looks like one of those apps where you go "FINALLY, a photo app that works the way I think! This is how it should be done." At least, that's what I think of it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 21, 2005
    Man, you guys all need some training in the bad attitude about all computer and software manufacturers department. Being a computer scientist was how I got my start at this, so I guess you could say I'm a pro. Perhaps I'll teach a course and get Dan Margulis to guest a few times. This is one thing that I'm better at then he is, though he is world class.
    If not now, when?
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I thought it was slower so that the 2xG5 I have now and which seems practically instantaneous for all the PS things I ever do with it won't be fast enough and I'll need the power of 4.

Hahahaha :-)

Hey people... quick trick. If you have a relatively fast Mac already, and you install the Developer Tools, there is an application called "Core Image Fun House" in /Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools that can let you tinker with all the filters that it *appears* are present in Aperture (can't be sure, haven't tried Aperture yet).

If you throw on 4 or 5 filters, and your machine grinds to a halt... it's a pretty good indication that the same will be true of Aperture, as "Core Image Fun House" obviously gives you a first-hand test of the Core Image routines.
    edited October 21, 2005
    Here's an interesting discussion of Aperture, especially the first post, which includes impressions based on on-hands use.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Portfolio 8
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is Extensis's Portfolio 8 press release.
    Thanks Patch
    edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Being a computer scientist was how I got my start at this, so I guess you could say I'm a pro.

rutt, you won't like it, i don't think it does LAB CURVES lol3.gif
    edited October 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    rutt, you won't like it, i don't think it does LAB CURVES lol3.gif

And it costs $500? Outrageous!
    If not now, when?
    edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    And it costs $500? Outrageous!

hey everyone!!!!!! rutt made a joke lol3.gif
    edited October 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hey everyone!!!!!! rutt made a joke lol3.gif

And Andy detected it without an emoticon!!!!
    If not now, when?
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Apature looks like a application designed by photographers rather than software engineers. Really have to say that Apple leads and does not follow when making their own in house apps. Besides this application and iLife it's a hard choice to get another PC for my desktop or a dual core Mac. ne_nau.gif

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
    edited October 22, 2005
    I was reading about the archiving features. I hope it has the ability to automatically span multiple DVDs/CDs when necessary. That always ends up being a pain to deal with.

They keep touting not harming your original files, but I already have that with Bridge. It does not modify my CR2 files, it only places XMP files in the folder with them.

The versions look good too. I think Adobe will figure out a way to have version with multiple XMP files (that Bridge manages) I can do it now if I need to. The same thing with no need to save files. I don't have to in Bridge until I am ready to use the images in PS. I have not done it, but I think Bridge can go straight to web gallery or contact sheets, etc. I also think Aperture has Export, most likely with jpg, tif, etc options, how different is that vs save? ne_nau.gif

I do want to see the options Aperture gives for contact sheets. I want an option in PS to drop the .jpg extension, no need to print it, hopefully Apple will do this.

Stacks is intriguing. I would like to know if it can figure out what goes together given the way I shoot.

For me it will come down to speed. I do like a lot of the features Aperture offers. Editing with thumbnails on one screen and a giant preview on another monitor looks great. The loupe tool holds a lot of promise too. I am tired of "open in camera raw" to check my focus at 100%.

Has anyone seen any pricing on the new book offerings yet? ear.gif

I am still looking forward to test driving it. I may take a couple CF cards to the Apple store when it is available and see how it works for me. No matter what competition is good (even if not directly going after PS). PS has made some great steps towards being friendly to the digital photographer, hopefully they will match and exceed what Apple has created. :D
    edited October 22, 2005
    Has anyone seen any licensing information for Aperture? I am always amazed at the number of photographers who complain about PS being restricted to being installed on three computers. I cannot image Apple will allow users to install it on as many machines as they want.

DavidTO what is Apple's stance on licensing for FCP, Motion, etc? ear.gif
    edited October 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Has anyone seen any licensing information for Aperture? I am always amazed at the number of photographers who complain about PS being restricted to being installed on three computers. I cannot image Apple will allow users to install it on as many machines as they want.

i asked the apple rep this very question, as i intend to have it on my g5 as well as my powerbook. he said "no problem, no add'l license required."
    edited October 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i asked the apple rep this very question, as i intend to have it on my g5 as well as my powerbook. he said "no problem, no add'l license required."

Interesting, too bad my PB is out of spec. :cry I want to wait until they come out with the intel based PBs, but at the same time I do not want buy the first generation IPB either. That could make me wait on Aperture, Bridge works on my PB.

I wonder if it will install with a serial number like FCP? I would think it would based on the price.
    edited October 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    The versions look good too. I think Adobe will figure out a way to have version with multiple XMP files (that Bridge manages) I can do it now if I need to. The same thing with no need to save files. I don't have to in Bridge until I am ready to use the images in PS. I have not done it, but I think Bridge can go straight to web gallery or contact sheets, etc. I also think Aperture has Export, most likely with jpg, tif, etc options, how different is that vs save? ne_nau.gif

The versioning in Aperture looks to be light years ahead of anything that PS can do or will be able to do soon, unless PS is able to use Core Image. And if it is able to use Core Image, that would mean (I think) that the Mac version would be significantly different than the PC version.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

You can have it on two machines, as far as I know. I mean that I KNOW you can have it on two machines. More I'm not sure of.
    Moderator Emeritus