Aperture (Apple application)

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    And if it is able to use Core Image, that would mean (I think) that the Mac version would be significantly different than the PC version.

I copied this from an old thread in the Adobe User-to-User Photoshop Mac Forum. It's a post by a Photoshop engineer. You can see his name in the Photoshop credits.
    Scott Byer - 10:35am Apr 25, 05 PST (#27 of 34)

Documentation! Hehe. He's being funny .

Seriously, there are good reasons why Photoshop CS2 doesn't take
    advantage of CoreImage out of the box, and why CoreImage doesn't live up
    to the hype. It doesn't have anything to do with Windows parity, all
    you paranoids !

Remember, CoreImage is built to try and take advantage of the GPU on the
    display card. However, the back channel from the display card is real
    slow right now - it'll take you longer getting the image to and from the
    card than it would take you to process it on the CPU. And if you're
    going to use the CPU, might as well use Chris' super-optimized routines.

Even if that problem were solved, there is still no repeatability from
    card to card in terms of results. While that's fine for previews, it's
    not terribly acceptable for real results.

What you end up with, then, is something that shows great in demos (and
    may eventually be useful for previews or as a filter), but quickly ends
    up not doing so well for real work.

-Scott

The remark about documentation was in reference to the amount of documentation Apple had or had not provided to developers about CoreImage.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    You can pre-order Aperture from Amazon for $449.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 22, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    I copied this from an old thread in the Adobe User-to-User Photoshop Mac Forum. It's a post by a Photoshop engineer. You can see his name in the Photoshop credits.

Interesting. I've seen Core Image in action in Motion and I was impressed, but I'm certainly no engineer...we'll see how it holds up, I guess when the app comes out. Maybe it does just demo well...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    And it costs $500? Outrageous!
    It is pricey, but the educational discount is way cheaper. Like half off! See...

aperture.jpg

So, if you know anyone in academics, have them hook you up with a "present" ;-)
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    I pre-ordered it today. :):

454hffjf.jpg
    edited October 24, 2005
    The discussion continues on Macintouch, including impressions from someone with hands-on experience.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 26, 2005
    This morning there is an interview with the Aperture product manager.
    My favorite quote: "I mostly run it on my 15-inch PowerBook."
    edited October 26, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    This morning there is an interview with the Aperture product manager.
    My favorite quote: "I mostly run it on my 15-inch PowerBook."

Great read.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 28, 2005
    Now my order status for Aperture is Dec. 21st! ne_nau.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can have it on two machines, as far as I know. I mean that I KNOW you can have it on two machines. More I'm not sure of.

I was speaking with a friend and he said that Apple's reps have been telling people it is licensed to be installed on one machine only. ne_nau.gif
    edited November 3, 2005
    Aperture review and a sample Automator Aperture Action. Lynnesite sent me both....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I pre-ordered it today. :):

454hffjf.jpg

Now that's a good deal, I found a few on ebay from the states but not sure on their credibility:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-APPLE-APERTURE-advanced-purchase_W0QQitemZ5826074729QQcategoryZ3796QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can bet when this is released over here they will be asking £499 for it :bash
    edited November 6, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Now that's a good deal, I found a few on ebay from the states but not sure on their credibility:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-APPLE-APERTURE-advanced-purchase_W0QQitemZ5826074729QQcategoryZ3796QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can bet when this is released over here they will be asking £499 for it :bash

You can bet that that guy is not doing it legally since the he had to agree with this from Apple in order to order it:

Purchase Quantity
    Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    3. Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    6. iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 1GB, iPod Photo) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
    7. iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

**The above purchases can be made either online or through your Authorized Campus Reseller. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where you purchase is made.

and he says this on that ebay ad:
    I will recieve a huge shipment the day they are released
  • suntzusuntzu Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I was speaking with a friend and he said that Apple's reps have been telling people it is licensed to be installed on one machine only. ne_nau.gif
    Seems odd unless they plan on using a USB dongle for the product. I think a lot of companies are find with you using it on two computers as long as you're not using it at the same time.

For example you're shooting at a location and want to do some quick work on your Powerbook and then bring it back to your Dual 2GHz G5 at the office. :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 9, 2005
    suntzu wrote:
    Seems odd unless they plan on using a USB dongle for the product. I think a lot of companies are find with you using it on two computers as long as you're not using it at the same time.

For example you're shooting at a location and want to do some quick work on your Powerbook and then bring it back to your Dual 2GHz G5 at the office. :D

Indeed, Adobe specifically allows a copy on your desktop and your laptop IF they are used my ONE person and not simultaneously in use - That is my understanding and how I use it - But I am not a lawyer yadda yadda yadda YMMV.

I will be surprised. if Apple refuses a legitimate owner to use it on his PB as well as his desktop, but that is what it sounds like they are saying....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 9, 2005
    edited November 9, 2005
    Another Aperture reality check:
    Aperture: Raw Deal or the Real Thing?
    And I may increase my holdings of stock in Apple also.
    Hmmm...it's at its highest level, and the profits are more from iPods than Power Mac towers. Can iPod sales keep going up? How much upside is actually left in this stock? When it's up that high, the potential to go down becomes much higher than the upside potential. I might pass until the next down cycle. On the other hand, the Intel introductions next year might bring a lot of people...but still, there are probably stocks out there with a lot more potential upside at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac shop, but I try to keep my head outside the Reality Distortion Field.
    edited November 18, 2005
    At the bottom of this page you can download a compatibility checker for Aperture.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Another Aperture reality check:
    Aperture: Raw Deal or the Real Thing?

Hmmm...it's at its highest level, and the profits are more from iPods than Power Mac towers. Can iPod sales keep going up? How much upside is actually left in this stock? When it's up that high, the potential to go down becomes much higher than the upside potential. I might pass until the next down cycle. On the other hand, the Intel introductions next year might bring a lot of people...but still, there are probably stocks out there with a lot more potential upside at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac shop, but I try to keep my head outside the Reality Distortion Field.
    Im willing to bet that at least one Intel based Mac will be unveiled at the Macworld Conference in January by Steve. Any wagers?? :D
    edited November 26, 2005
    Aperture is now shipping. clap.gif

shiolp.jpg

agdfsagdfsa.jpg

So...why does my Order Status say

sgdjfghkg.jpg

ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Aperture is now shipping. clap.gif

ne_nau.gif

Me too. John - when you call Apple, ask 'em for me, willya lol3.gif
    edited November 26, 2005
    sure thing! mwink.gif

Heck, I could cancel my order and re-order it with a faster ship time!
    edited November 27, 2005
    Got off the phone with Apple. Seems that they haven't updated the site..mine ships in 12-24 hours!! clap.gifclap.gif

Sorry Andy, but I needed your web order # and credit card info...so I could order a dual core dual..I mean check your status mwink.gif
    edited November 27, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Got off the phone with Apple. Seems that they haven't updated the site..mine ships in 12-24 hours!! clap.gifclap.gif

Sorry Andy, but I needed your web order # and credit card info...so I could order a dual core dual..I mean check your status mwink.gif

lol3.gif Mine's out the door and already shipping. Yay.
    edited November 29, 2005
    Rob Galbraith has links to Aperture Knowledge Base pdfs, here.

Both Apple Store locations in Atlanta have Aperture in stock, but not installed on any machines yet. rolleyes1.gif I would like to give it a test ride before spending $500.00.

Who will be the first to publish a side by side final image output vs ACR and C1? ear.gif
    edited November 29, 2005
    I am not sure if all the Apple Stores will be doing the same thing, but I found this on Apple's website.
    Introducing Aperture
    Join us for special workshops, demonstrations and tips and tricks starting Nov 30. Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for after the shoot. Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, it makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. Q&A to follow.
    Every Mon, Tue and Wed - Nov 30 to Dec 14-7:00 p.m. until store closing.

Check with your local Apple location, here.
    edited November 29, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

Who will be the first to publish a side by side final image output vs ACR and C1? ear.gif

Irrelavent IMO. I could use PSE, PS CS, PSP, etc and get the same results in the end.

The difference will be in "how we get there" and the other hottness that Aperture may offer me.

I'll be sure to review it soon!
    edited November 29, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif Mine's out the door and already shipping. Yay.

Andy, when did you order yours?

Mine STILL has not shipped even though I called again yesterday and after 2 customer service people, they said again that it will ship in 12-24 hours. rolleyes1.gif

So now it's been 48 hours since they first told me it would ship in 12-24 hours...ugh, I think they are stringing me along! eek7.gif
    edited November 29, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Andy, when did you order yours?

Mine STILL has not shipped even though I called again yesterday and after 2 customer service people, they said again that it will ship in 12-24 hours. rolleyes1.gif

So now it's been 48 hours since they first told me it would ship in 12-24 hours...ugh, I think they are stringing me along! eek7.gif

Got mine about 3 hours ago, from the friendly UPS driver. Ordered about a month and a half ago, when I ordered my new G5 Quad.

It's installed but I've only done one fix with it thus far thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2005
    Got off the phone with Apple Customer Service and they gave me a tracking number!!

Ship date
    Nov 28, 2005
    Estimated delivery
    Nov 30, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif