Options

What is street photography?

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Studying the masters takes us above and beyond our own thoughts and ideas, expands our awareness, elevates our thinking, and shows us possibilities and greatness. I don't play the music of Mozart much these days, but having done so was certainly an important part of my musical training, and listening to his music - to the complexities and genius that lie within his works - inspires me and lifts me to a level beyond my own pitiful self.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Studying the masters takes us above and beyond our own thoughts and ideas, expands our awareness, elevates our thinking, and shows us possibilities and greatness. I don't play the music of Mozart much these days, but having done so was certainly an important part of my musical training, and listening to his music - to the complexities and genius that lie within his works - inspires me and lifts me to a level beyond my own pitiful self.

Perfect! (Not the pitiful self part, but the rest of it. rolleyes1.gif)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    perfect! (not the pitiful self part, but the rest of it. rolleyes1.gif)

:d:d:d
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I am from this new school of street photography. I have no formal training. I just have a camera and a desire to shoot. I have been shooting for a few years and I still learn something new everyday. I don't have a specific definition for "street photography", I would say anything that is shot unscripted and in the street would be "Street Photography". Just get out there and shoot. The only requirement for a good photograph is that it looks good. Knowing how to technically use a camera increases your odds of capturing a better shot but sometimes rules restrict you.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Nmahooch wrote: »
    I am from this new school of street photography. I have no formal training. I just have a camera and a desire to shoot. I have been shooting for a few years and I still learn something new everyday. I don't have a specific definition for "street photography", I would say anything that is shot unscripted and in the street would be "Street Photography". Just get out there and shoot. The only requirement for a good photograph is that it looks good. Knowing how to technically use a camera increases your odds of capturing a better shot but sometimes rules restrict you.

Sorry, but that's far too facile. To be worthwhile, a good street photograph must be more than something that "looks good." A well exposed, focused, and framed photo of a flower "looks good."
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    True- If it looks good it is a good photo. If it looks great or WOW- then it is a great photo. I have seen great photos that were over exposed or crooked or slightly out of focus. Composition is a big part of a great photo. Some people see this better than others.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Nelson, "looks good" by any measure is only a part of "street" or PJ. Bruce Gilden says "if you can smell the street, then it's a good street photo." Getting it expose correctly and even technically competently is easy and of course is a requirement.

I don't buy this "new breed of street photog" business. It's not about formal training. It's about understanding....
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    I have seen many photos exposed incorrectly that look great. Some people do it for a dramatic effect. It doesn't work all the time but when used in the right way it "looks great". Composition and vision will help you "smell the street" more than anything. Being technically sound will help you capture your desired image more consistently but you still need to have an eye for it. Anyone can get lucky and shoot a great image from the hip but being patient and confident along with being technically sound will increase your odds. I am just saying that I am not afraid to break rules to try something new. I am out in the streets of NYC for most of the day with my camera and I just try to capture what I see. I call it "Street Photography". It is street art. unscripted, raw, non-commercial NYC. I prefer L.E.S. over Times Sq. In the end I come up with images of People, Places and Things that I like to say are New York. When people ask what I like to shoot, I usually say it has to be "Pretty, Gritty or New York City". If I had some strobes or a few models with me I wouldn't call it street photography. What else would you call it?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    If I had some strobes or a few models with me I wouldn't call it street photography. What else would you call it?

Urban Studio
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I would call him lucky....
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Urban Studio seems to be popular. I always see shoots taking place.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Let me try again: I am not a stickler for the proper definition of street and PJ. Russ can fight that battle :-) I am fighting for good street and PJ photos.

I will say again, it takes more than just a person walking down the street to make a good street / PJ photo, even if it IS just a person walking down the street.

Liz asked how come we don't talk about current photog much as being good street/PJ photographer. Try this: http://semetko.com/the-book-unposed/ Craig is current, and he does street.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Richard, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "proper" definition of street photography, at least not in the sense that it can be defined in words. Attempts at a literal definition of any art form typically are all over the place.

But, as I've said before, to me street photography is defined by the photographs of people like HCB and Gene Smith. And even as I say it I'm not sure that's the correct way to say it, since the two can't really be compared. As BD pointed out earlier, Gene's photographs go beyond Henri's in the way they deal with human traits and human interactions, but Gene's pictures are more studied and darkroom-modified than Henri's. Still, in the end, I'd pick Gene's as the pictures that to me epitomize street photography, though in doing so I'm ignoring a kind of spontaneity that Henri's pictures have and that Gene's don't have. I really want both in my definition, but I can't have both if I'm looking for a literal definition.

The bottom line for me is that to be what I'd call a street photograph the picture must convey something to me not only about human behavior, but about human emotion. I keep saying that the picture must contain a story, but as I pointed out in the short article I posted a while back, that doesn't mean the picture has to "tell" a story. Ambiguity can be a powerful thing in a photograph. That's why I think HCB's surrealism phase produced more significant street photographs than his later story-telling phase, which BD won't call photojournalism.

Here's an example of the kind of picture I think falls into the street photograph category. Everything in the world is new for this kid, and he just saw something he never expected to see. Practically everybody's seen little kids do this, and, to most of us, a kid's sudden, limitless joy brings joy. The effect I get from this picture is transcendent. I can't put it into words, but it always improves my day. I suspect it would improve the day of most people.

Joy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    I am not trying to discredit the past photographers but it is hard to classify a genre of art by a specific artist. I think it is great that everyone has their own opinion, this helps the style grow. I know dozens of what I call "street photographers" that have different styles but one thing in common- They shoot the streets! It is unscripted, raw emotion! it is all about capturing a moment, if that's not your goal then you are capturing art.. If you can artistically capture a "moment" then you've done good. I only know a few photographer that have this special ability.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Well Russ... you captured joy, an expression of happiness lost when saddled with the baggage of life.

Excellent capture well composed. I wonder what the color shot looks like

Nice work
    RSL wrote: »
    Richard, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "proper" definition of street photography, at least not in the sense that it can be defined in words. Attempts at a literal definition of any art form typically are all over the place.

But, as I've said before, to me street photography is defined by the photographs of people like HCB and Gene Smith. And even as I say it I'm not sure that's the correct way to say it, since the two can't really be compared. As BD pointed out earlier, Gene's photographs go beyond Henri's in the way they deal with human traits and human interactions, but Gene's pictures are more studied and darkroom-modified than Henri's. Still, in the end, I'd pick Gene's as the pictures that to me epitomize street photography, though in doing so I'm ignoring a kind of spontaneity that Henri's pictures have and that Gene's don't have. I really want both in my definition, but I can't have both if I'm looking for a literal definition.

The bottom line for me is that to be what I'd call a street photograph the picture must convey something to me not only about human behavior, but about human emotion. I keep saying that the picture must contain a story, but as I pointed out in the short article I posted a while back, that doesn't mean the picture has to "tell" a story. Ambiguity can be a powerful thing in a photograph. That's why I think HCB's surrealism phase produced more significant street photographs than his later story-telling phase, which BD won't call photojournalism.

Here's an example of the kind of picture I think falls into the street photograph category. Everything in the world is new for this kid, and he just saw something he never expected to see. Practically everybody's seen little kids do this, and, to most of us, a kid's sudden, limitless joy brings joy. The effect I get from this picture is transcendent. I can't put it into words, but it always improves my day. I suspect it would improve the day of most people.

Joy.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    I wonder what the color shot looks like

In some ways I prefer the color version.

Joy-C.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Me too. I don't think B&W treats happy children's faces as well as color (especially with light eyes). B&W treats squalor & grunge well (in my view)
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    I'm going to hate myself in the morning for getting into this, but i just can't help myself. Sorry, Russ, but this just doesn't do it for me as some sort of example of what a street shot should be; it's a lovely snap of a happy child. Great expression on the little boy - absolutely joy. But not much else. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think it's because there's really nothing compelling here, compositionally, or in terms of a story, nor is their any ambiguity. Little kid, happy about the water. And, unfortunately, the image is at once both lose and cluttered - is it about the kid? The statute? The kid and the statue? For whatever it's worth, it would have been much stronger - I believe - shot much tighter, and from the little boy's front, so we'd have that wonderful beaming smile, the Thomas the locomotive shirt, and the pouring water - and nothing else. And then it wouldn't be a street photo, but it would it be a much better photo of childhood joy.

Again, just my opinion - and I really don't want to get into a debate over it. And I wouldn't have commented had this not been held up as an example of classic street photography.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Fair enough, BD. I won't argue the point because there's enough truth in what you're saying that the argument could go on for days. The main thing the picture does for me, that I expect any good street photograph to do, is give me a transcendent connection with something important in human behavior. From a literal, story-telling sense, the story's thin, but it's there. I have plenty of pictures with better composition, less clutter, more ambiguity, and much more compelling stories in a photojournalistic sense, that don't give me the jolt this one gives me. But of course, that's a subjective thing: a good reason not to argue your points. As far as positioning is concerned, that smile was on his face for less than a second. In a case like that you take what you can get. As far as the question "what's the picture about" is concerned, it's about his smile. As far as composition is concerned, I think the diagonal created by the kid's gaze and the statue's assumed gaze is pretty strong. But, again, that's a personal opinion.

Don't hate yourself in the morning. I certainly understand that urge to say what you mean.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    RSL wrote: »

Don't hate yourself in the morning. I certainly understand that urge to say what you mean.

Me, too! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Nelson, please provide examples of these new photographers that capture raw emotion. Thanks.

As for Russ photo, this is just my opinion: if it looks like a good photo in color, but not as strong in B&W, UNLESS the colors are an integral part of the story, then *usually* something is missing in the photo. This is the rationale behind "with colors, you see distraction, and with B&W, you see the soul."

AGAIN - this only applies if the colors are not the main theme. In those cases, presence or absence of colors change the picture to a different picture.

MHO.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I think the color works because they are primary colors, strongly associated with children. It serves to bring the attention to the child immediately.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I don't think this thread should devolve into a discussion of Russ' image.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    I agree. I'd much rather try to get BD to critique Cartier-Bresson's "The Lock at Bougival, France, 1955." There's a not very good copy at http://www.soulcatcherstudio.com/exhibitions/bresson/bougival_lock.html.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    I just grabbed a few random photos to show examples of what I think is "Street Photography".
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    That #4 is great... thumb.gif

But what a minute it's not B&W, therefore it sucks.... eek7.gif

Nice work - expressions of happiness, exhibitionism and the urban condition well shot and well composed
    Rags
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I noticed that a couple of these are most likely not your own shots (Nos 3 & 4 although I'm confused about the rest as it looks like your smugmug gallery is shared with someone else?). As a curtesy you should attribute them and only provide a link. Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken. As to the ones that are your shots, why not drop them into their own thread?
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Sorry about that michswiss- you are right. I didn't want to use my own photos as examples, so I just grabbed a few shots. I will edit that.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 12, 2011
    It's OK to post other people's photos to illustrate a point as long as you give credit to the photographer/copyright holder. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    I just grabbed a few random photos to show examples of what I think is "Street Photography".

Nelson, are there suppose to be photos inline? I don't see them. Some of us were having similar issues with (I think Torags') photos and then he fixed it somehow?