Options

What is street photography?

13»

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    I agree. I'd much rather try to get BD to critique Cartier-Bresson's "The Lock at Bougival, France, 1955." There's a not very good copy at http://www.soulcatcherstudio.com/exhibitions/bresson/bougival_lock.html.

Even HCB had to have a bad day. Seriously, it's a nice photo, with nice compositional elements, and any of us would be proud to have shot it. But if this was his best, he would not be who he is. In fact, if this was in his top 25 %, he wouldn't be who he is.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 14, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Even HCB had to have a bad day. Seriously, it's a nice photo, with nice compositional elements, and any of us would be proud to have shot it. But if this was his best, he would not be who he is. In fact, if this was in his top 25 %, he wouldn't be who he is.
    I'm a little surprised to read this. While it's not my favorite HCB shot (too many to choose), I would certainly put it in the top 25%. Great composition, human interaction, wit, a fleeting moment frozen. What's not to like about it? I'm truly puzzled, BD. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised to read this. While it's not my favorite HCB shot (too many to choose), I would certainly put it in the top 25%. Great composition, human interaction, wit, a fleeting moment frozen. What's not to like about it? I'm truly puzzled, BD. headscratch.gif

Top 25% of the work HCB has shown/exhibited/sold etc. 75% of his work must fit into the "not top 25%" category. So which other of his work is in the lower 75%? :-)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

If HCB is indeed one of the greatest photographers to have lived - and he certainly was - then we have to judge all his work in that light. By that standard, this is a nice enough photo, but I would hardly call it memorable, nice composition, nice moment, or not. I admit to looking at it and thinking, 'sweet.' Or 'cute.' Not 'Wow!'

One of the most fascinating things about seeing the massive HCB retrospective at the MOMA last year, some 300 images, was noting what a large number of images were 'fine,' but would never be in the MOMA, or any other major institution, had they not been shot by HCB. Sorry, but that's the reality. Many left me in stunned silence, including the image on the cover of the book of the show - even the word sublime doesn't begin to describe it; but others? I had to shake my head and ask myself why they were there.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 14, 2011
    If HCB is indeed one of the greatest photographers to have lived - and he certainly was - then we have to judge all his work in that light. By that standard, this is a nice enough photo, but I would hardly call it memorable, nice composition, nice moment, or not. I admit to looking at it and thinking, 'sweet.' Or 'cute.' Not 'Wow!'
    Well, OK, I think we're just not going to agree on this one. I love it.
    One of the most fascinating things about seeing the massive HCB retrospective at the MOMA last year, some 300 images, was noting what a large number of images were 'fine,' but would never be in the MOMA, or any other major institution, had they not been shot by HCB. Sorry, but that's the reality. Many left me in stunned silence, including the image on the cover of the book of the show - even the word sublime doesn't begin to describe it; but others? I had to shake my head and ask myself why they were there.
    Yeah, I caught that show in Chicago and like you, I saw the Gene Smith Jazz show on the same day. The Smith exhibit was much smaller and better focused, and thus more manageable and in some ways more enjoyable. 300 pics is cruel and unusual punishment--nobody can give them proper attention in a single viewing. I had reviewed the catalog beforehand, so I already had in mind which ones I did not want to overlook; there were quite a few. But, yes, others were not particularly distinguished. I suppose that's par for the course when dealing with prolific artists--lots of Mozart and Bach is superfluous, but only when compared to their greatest works.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    What struck me about HCB's "superfluous" ones was that had you told me they had been shot by anyone of a dozen name photographers from the same era I wouldn't have been at all surprised. In fact, my reaction to that news would have been, 'not his/her best work.' Much of the China stuff, the Cuba work, the Banker's Trust annual report work? Blech. On the other hand, that image of the long road with the two trees? Magical. The opening shot? Otherworldly. When he was good, he was staggeringly good, and when he was bad he was good.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    ...some 300 images, was noting what a large number of images were 'fine,' but would never be in the MOMA, or any other major institution, had they not been shot by HCB. Sorry, but that's the reality.

I'd call that an opinion, BD, not reality, and I suspect you would too if you read it again.

By the way, if Bougival isn't in Henri's top 25%, how about giving us an example of one which, in your opinion, IS in the top 25%? That would let us make a comparison.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Hey, if all you adoring fanboys would just pause a moment (I say that in the event I haven't alienated everybody)...

If you're a pro photog selling your prints on spec; you release all your shots since you don't know what your prospective customers are going to like. Some purchased will not be what the photog likes. Photogs' shooting high school sports run into that problem.

These "legends" may have been in the same situation.

Artists run into the same situation. I was at a Picasso exhibit recently and a piece was referenced "from his own collection", was a labeled bronze head of a woman that was grotesque.

My guess was, the wealthy merchants less than pretty wife rejected the piece (perhaps that's how Picasso saw her).
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    I'd call that an opinion, BD, not reality, and I suspect you would too if you read it again.

By the way, if Bougival isn't in Henri's top 25%, how about giving us an example of one which, in your opinion, IS in the top 25%? That would let us make a comparison.

Of course it's an opinion, Rob - and one I'd stick to in front of a filled auditorium, in a classroom, or anywhere else. Cartier-Bresson was a great artist, a truly exceptional photographer. He was not a god. He turned out a good deal of what for someone at that level can only be called mediocre work, along with enough stunning work to earn his place at the top of a very tall heap. Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you over what images I think are the best, versus which you think are the best.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    It's Russ, BD.

You might stick with that opinion in front of a filled auditorium, but I suspect you'd call it an "opinion," not "reality." To call it "reality" in front of a live audience would be a bit over the top.

Yes. I agree that a lot of HCB's work doesn't deserve the praise it gets, and as I've said before: once HCB stopped doing pure street photography and started doing reporting (photojournalism?) I think his work degenerated, though there still were some fabulous images after that. And, yes, I think too much of HCB's work has been shown, but I think too much of most peoples' work gets shown, as I said perhaps too forcefully when I came back on this forum.

Beyond that, I'm not interested in a back-and-forth over the value of various HCB images either. But having damned Bougival with faint praise it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask what, among the works of a man you just called "...a great artist, truly exceptional photographer" you consider to be good.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Of course it's an opinion, Rob - and one I'd stick to in front of a filled auditorium, in a classroom, or anywhere else. Cartier-Bresson was a great artist, a truly exceptional photographer. He was not a god. He turned out a good deal of what for someone at that level can only be called mediocre work, along with enough stunning work to earn his place at the top of a very tall heap. Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you over what images I think are the best, versus which you think are the best.

Thank you, BD, for actually spelling out Henri Cartier-Bresson's name. All this HCB stuff had me forgetting the guy's name. I had to actually look it up to refresh my memory.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Contemporary photog (Donald G Jean on Flicker)

Is this street? If not who cares...

6266306668_d186552160_o.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    It's good stuff, Rags. Yes, it's street photography.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Came across this in an earlier thread which I thought was a good way to characterize an aspect of Street...

?id=725X1342&site=streetphotographynowproject.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstreetphotographynowproject.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F09%2Finstruction1-new.gif&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fstreetphotographynowproject.wordpress.com%2F