Options

Huey Pro seems to have gone mental

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited April 19, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all,

Any Huey Pro users out there who can please help me out?

I've just done a recalibration of my monitor with my Huey Pro and the colours look fine for the desktop background but when I open something in PS CS3 and also a photo in the normal windows photo viewer (I'm on Vista) the colours are crazy saturated and shifted to the red/magenta side. As soon as I disable the Huey things go back to normal.

Something else I notice when doing the calibration is that there was no difference shown between the old and new settings (2nd to last screen on calibration with the colour grid and photo of a woman) and also when changing colour temp and gamma settings these had no effect on the screen. In the past when playing with these I could see the affects taking place so something funny is going on.

I did try uninstalling and the reinstalling the software but no change.

Please help!

HueyProProblem.jpg

Left is a copy of my screen background in window photo viewer, right is just the background and left is a copy of the background in photoshop.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Sorry can't help specifically, but search Dgrin (and other photo sites) and you will see many stories of the Huey crapping out, and doing things like you are showing. Many have been able to return them for replacement. Not sure if that is your issue or not, but I have seen this alot regarding Huey's.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    If the desktop is working but other programs aren't, it's most likely not the Huey, or the Huey program may have botched up your OS settings for the default applied profiles. It may have to do with the applied operating system and program color settings. What's your color space set to in CS3? Also, does vista have color management in the control panel? Check the defaults in there and see if the monitor profile is synced to the new calibration.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    I will check the system settings, however, really don't want everything to look totally horrible like PS is showing. The fact that it doesn't alter the look on screen when I change the gamma and colour temp (I think it is) which I know it used to do makes me think something strange is going on with software.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Yes O'foc'd is on the mark. Check browser settings, and graphics card/OS system display settings, both of which should be sRGB.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Yes O'foc'd is on the mark. Check browser settings, and graphics card/OS system display settings, both of which should be sRGB.

Neil

All is set to sRGB so ne_nau.gifscratch

• Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Mark1616 wrote: »
    All is set to sRGB so ne_nau.gifscratch

I have XP, so can't navigate you through the OS menus of Vista. However, with XP there are several dialog boxes of display settings which have to be consistent to get the display right. My solution to your problem was to set everything everywhere to sRGB, if I remember correctly. CS3 works with that no problem.

I am not an expert on calibration. There are some threads on DG within the last 12mo which address your issue which you might be able to find.

Neil

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    I don't have a Huey Pro, but a standard Huey. So far, no problems such as you've had, but on one occasion it seriously glitched LR - it actually prevented any displaying of images at ALL and took me ages to figure out that the problem was the Huey rather than LR. Very strange.

In any case, even though youv'e already uninstalled etc, I would try this:

- disable Huey.
    - set display back to factory default
    - reboot
    - uninstall
    - reboot
    - reinstall (check for latest driver updates) - possibly use a different USB port if available?
    - calibrate

If you've already done all of those in your previous uninstall, apologies for redundancy!
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    i had one that went bonzo, e-mailed Huey and they sent a replacement. Very good customer service. That said, it worked for about a year and is doing the same thing as yours (also Vista)... I am looking at other options.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    i had one that went bonzo, e-mailed Huey and they sent a replacement. Very good customer service. That said, it worked for about a year and is doing the same thing as yours (also Vista)... I am looking at other options.

Windows 7 is $100. /hint hint
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 6, 2011
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom since that's where we discuss monitors and computer stuff. Plus it gets a potential of new eyes to see the thread. thumb.gif

Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Windows 7 is $100. /hint hint

You think that would cur the Huey issue?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    You think that would cur the Huey issue?

Possibly, cause Vista is a travesty :D Or at least it was, and that's why 7 came out so fast. Lol.

It sounds like it's software gone mad somewhere, cause if the huey was messed up, why would the desktop look perfect? Unless the desktop isn't displaying the new calibration profile... but if it is, that means the calibrator is still working correctly right? That just leaves the application/OS as possible culprits. At least that's my line of thought.

Meh.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    In thinking about your problem, I'm finding it too easy to get confused over colourspace, calibration (gamma, white and black points), colour management (ICC profiles), and how such things relate to native hardware characteristics, as to a particular computer display. What response have you had from Huey? Hope you will debrief here about whatever solves your problem. Would be appreciated by many as problems with calibration are common.thumb.gif

Here are some snips from some websites which seem to be clarifying these things:

Windows Vista and colour profiles

There is a problem with colour management that affects some people, but not others, in Windows Vista and, it seems, still persists in Windows 7. On my desktop PC I don’t have any problems, but on my laptop the correct profile is not always loaded when it boots, and whenever the UAC requester pops up, the current colour profile is lost.

To counter this, I use LUT Manager to manually load the correct profile.

Read more: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor#ixzz1d043FIHr

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor

The following comments apply to the programs that create ICC monitor profiles.

Run the calibration program, following the instructions. The ICC monitor profiles are used by their respective loader programs to calibrate the monitor. Give the profile a unique name, for example, Monitor_120203.icm. It is placed in the Windows profile directory. You may be asked whether you want to make it the Windows default monitor profile. In most cases the answer is "yes."

The loader program uses data in the Windows default monitor profile to set the video card lookup table (LUT). When any of the program packages is installed, the loader program is placed in the Startup directory so it runs whenever the computer is booted. You can also run the loader program manually.

Conflicts can arise when more than one loader program may be present in the Startup directory. To see the contents of the startup directory, run the System Configuration Utility by clicking Start, Run..., and entering msconfig in the Open box. Click on the Startup tab. Only one loader program should be checked. This is a good time for a little system cleanup. Uncheck unneeded resource-hungry programs such as Microsoft's evil FindFast. Some sources of advice: Answers that work | Pacman's Portal Start Up Tips (which has an impressive list of startup programs).

To view or change the Windows default monitor profile, open the Display Properties screen by right-clicking on the Windows wallpaper (background) and clicking on Properties or by opening the Control Panel and clicking on Display. Then click on Settings, Advanced..., Color Management. The Default Monitor Profile and a set of profiles currently associated with the monitor are shown. You can add profiles to the list or set any of them as the Default.

Warning on generic monitor profiles There are some that will cause you nothing but headaches in an ICC-aware application. An example is the profile for the Sony CPD-G520 21" CRT monitor. If you go to their Monitor / Display Support web page and download the driver for the CPD-G520, you'll find a nice looking profile called Sony_d65.icm. A Trojan horse! Its TRC curves are set for gamma = 2.5; it can get you into serious trouble. More details can be found in Color management: implementation.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

(In Ps Edit > Color Settings) If you look just above the four common Working Spaces you should also find options for Monitor RGB, and in the case of Mac systems ColorSync RGB. Monitor RGB is the color space of your monitor as created by your calibration utility or hardware calibration device. Generally, it isn't a good idea to use the monitor profile as your Working Space, but it's important that it does appear in the list.

It's often claimed that Photoshop has no obvious way of informing the user which monitor profile is actually being used. Well, a quick check for Monitor RGB in the RGB Working Space pop-up should be enough to put your mind at rest. If Monitor RGB is showing something other than the profile you created when calibrating the monitor it is essential that you investigate the reason and make the appropriate corrections.

The actual list of options available for selection as Working Spaces differs according to whether More Options is activate, or not. If you chose to activate More Options then the list of available RGB profiles will be quite extensive.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_colour/ps10_1.htm

Neil

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    i had a simular problem when i replaced my motherboard, but it's win xp and the software was the Nikon Editor, faces would be green, it turned out to be a setting in the system, sorry it was a while ago and i dont remember. but i bet your not the first on this issue, if you email support, they may have a quick fix for you...

And i think Neil hit it dead on...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    The desktop (on Windows) isn’t color managed, Photoshop is and its using the huey built profile. That’s the true condition of the calibration and profile which is hosed. Could be the huey itself (which isn’t a very good instrument) or the settings. Bottom line is, evaluate the color in an ICC (color managed) app like Photoshop, NOT your desktop or another non ICC aware application. They don’t even know what a display profile is nor how to use them.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    Thanks a lot everyone for helping out. I think it's going to be a new device. Andrew, or anyone else, what would be the suggested route to take, remembering I'm on a pretty tight budget to say the least?

• Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    I’d get an X-Rite ColorMunki display.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    The desktop (on Windows) isn’t color managed, Photoshop is and its using the huey built profile. That’s the true condition of the calibration and profile which is hosed. Could be the huey itself (which isn’t a very good instrument) or the settings. Bottom line is, evaluate the color in an ICC (color managed) app like Photoshop, NOT your desktop or another non ICC aware application. They don’t even know what a display profile is nor how to use them.

My desktop is definitely calibrated. I use the huey pro with Win7
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011

Lets try this again. Not all applications are color managed, the desktop isn’t. That’s why there is a mismatch between a true color managed application (Photoshop) and your desktop. The desktop app, and many, many others are not color managed. They have no idea what color space a document is in. They have no idea the display profile exists. You may have calibrated the display, but the desktop doesn’t have any idea this was the case.

Bet if you open an image in Picture View or your browser (assuming its not Safari or FireFox), it doesn’t match Photoshop but matches the desktop (all in this case being wrong). Safari and Photoshop will match as you are correctly viewing the color file with the profile. You may not like they way they look but that’s besides the point. When Photoshop looks OK, you’ll be on the right track. Ignore all non ICC aware applications to view these images with the huey profile because they are lying to you (out of sheer ignorance, they are not color managed).

*See:http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I have gone through a similar process and finally I got it all sorted out. I have been reading and followed color management course .

Here is the story :

1. PS is always set to a preferred color space, that could be S-RGB, A-RGB , prophoto etc....
    2. Make sure that you set it to the best spaces that matches your monitor gammut, if you have a graphical monitor like Eizo you could use prophoto (although prophoto gammut is bigger then the Eizo monitor gammut.
    3. If you have a normal 200 -300 dollar monitor set the colorspace to S-RGB. A-RGB is to wide for those monitors and as such the colors can not be displayed.
    4. When opening a picture in photoshop, make sure that PS is asking what to do with the ICC of the picture. If the picture has an ICC, then PS can accept to open the picture in the right colorspace or to convert (pop-up box).
    5. Pictures without an ICC are by default opend in the set colorspace of PS, this is the situation whereby you will get shifted colors. You can switch the colorspace of PS while the picture is been viewed.
    6. Saving pictures from PS can be best done by converting to S-RGB , that will work with all browsers and viewers.
    7. XP viewers are not colorspace aware, and as such always considers the pictures as S-RGB. If the picture is not S-RGB and you open it it will shift colors.
    8. Vista and WIN 7 are colorspace aware.
    9. Browser are not always colorspace aware , those that are not assume that all pictures are in S-RGB.

In short, calibration does not help if colorspaces and ICC's are not recognized by the applications or operating system. Calibration is a method to create driver setting for your display so that a specific bit value (Color, 255-255-255) is seen on the screen as the correct color.

It does not solve the issue of ICC's and colorspaces that are not recognized by the operating system or application.

=> My advise, not knowing all your hardware and software is to set PS and all other applications to S-RGB (lowest common denominator). This will always work, since no wrong interpretations can take place.

Greet steve
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    => My advise, not knowing all your hardware and software is to set PS and all other applications to S-RGB (lowest common denominator). This will always work, since no wrong interpretations can take place.

Greet steve

And this is exactly what I have, which is what I meant by having a calibrated desktop. System-wide sRGB representation calibrated to this monitor. Everything looks the same no matter what app.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    And this is exactly what I have, which is what I meant by having a calibrated desktop. System-wide sRGB representation calibrated to this monitor. Everything looks the same no matter what app.

Unless you’re using a circa 1993 CRT with P22 phosphors, you’re not working with an sRGB device. Might be close. Might be farther off (why we calibrate a display). And, unless the application knows the numbers in a document are in sRGB, and has access to the display profile, all that happens is the RGB values go straight to the display without proper Display Using Monitor Compensation (which is what makes all images outside such a space preview correctly).

You either have a fully ICC compliant path or you don’t. If the application can’t deal with that path, all bets are off.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    2. Make sure that you set it to the best spaces that matches your monitor gammut, if you have a graphical monitor like Eizo you could use prophoto (although prophoto gammut is bigger then the Eizo monitor gammut.

Not really. Since 1998 with PS 5, the display conditions and the editing space (working space) are divorced. They don’t have to be anything alike. You can have an sRGB like display and work in ProPhoto RGB (there will be colors in the document that fall outside display gamut you can’t see, but the reason to use such a space is for output to a printing device that can use such colors).

There is not and never will be a display that will produce ProPhoto RGB (we can go into this reason if you wish).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011

mmm... no calibration controls...

this Sony caught my eye when it was released 12mo ago, might be a newer model out now?

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/notebooks/sony/vaio_f_series_vpcf127hg/354843

NEC have a good rep as low price photo editing displays

Neil

• Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Lets try this again. Not all applications are color managed, the desktop isn’t. That’s why there is a mismatch between a true color managed application (Photoshop) and your desktop. The desktop app, and many, many others are not color managed. They have no idea what color space a document is in. They have no idea the display profile exists. You may have calibrated the display, but the desktop doesn’t have any idea this was the case.

Bet if you open an image in Picture View or your browser (assuming its not Safari or FireFox), it doesn’t match Photoshop but matches the desktop (all in this case being wrong). Safari and Photoshop will match as you are correctly viewing the color file with the profile. You may not like they way they look but that’s besides the point. When Photoshop looks OK, you’ll be on the right track. Ignore all non ICC aware applications to view these images with the huey profile because they are lying to you (out of sheer ignorance, they are not color managed).

*See:http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

Andrew, would be great for the OP, me and I'm sure others if you could apply your diagnosis to the OP's samples below.

Thanks.

Neil

Mark1616 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any Huey Pro users out there who can please help me out?

I've just done a recalibration of my monitor with my Huey Pro and the colours look fine for the desktop background but when I open something in PS CS3 and also a photo in the normal windows photo viewer (I'm on Vista) the colours are crazy saturated and shifted to the red/magenta side. As soon as I disable the Huey things go back to normal.

Something else I notice when doing the calibration is that there was no difference shown between the old and new settings (2nd to last screen on calibration with the colour grid and photo of a woman) and also when changing colour temp and gamma settings these had no effect on the screen. In the past when playing with these I could see the affects taking place so something funny is going on.

I did try uninstalling and the reinstalling the software but no change.

Please help!

HueyProProblem.jpg

Left is a copy of my screen background in window photo viewer, right is just the background and left is a copy of the background in photoshop.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2011

Not really, not based on the number of early adopters who got burned on the HP DreamColor (I had the chance and turned it down despite a fraction of the cost). See the ColorSync user list, August of this year (Colorimeters and third-party developer support (Tom Lianza)):
    The DreamColor display and program was probably a victim of the turf wars
    inside of HP at the time it kicked off. Big promises were made by
    management, they got canned and the workers were left holding this huge
    political hot potato. For me, it was a tremendous learning experience in
    how development programs could get so complicated so quickly and how they
    could get undermined easily by shifts in management priorities and managers.
    Those of you that are interested in the business aspects of technology might
    want to read this article in Forbes magazine:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2011/08/17/why-amazon-cant-make-a-k
    indle-in-the-usa/

The program manager of this project and the system integrator were both
    heroic and dogged in their devotion to the project, but they were dealing
    with too many vendors, delusional management, and no one really had a final
    "say" in the system design. The firmware was (and is) especially fragile.
    The USB interface was designed by another vendor and it was dog slow and it
    didn't have a physical handshake with the I2C bus so the communication
    protocol was especially complex. I tried to write a hardware abstraction
    layer to mask all of this from developers. The guys at Dreamworks were
    pushing for an open source solution and they built their own solution. Once
    that decision got made, HP lost all control of the project. Read steve
    dennings publications and you will have a much better understanding of why
    innovation is so hard and fails so often in today's environment.

Regards
    Tom

Other posts warning of the product follow.

Stick with NEC SpectraView or Eizo.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Andrew, would be great for the OP, me and I'm sure others if you could apply your diagnosis to the OP's samples below.

Be useful to have a low rez copy of the image in question and a screen capture of the Photoshop color settings. After that, maybe the display profile itself.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Be useful to have a low rez copy of the image in question and a screen capture of the Photoshop color settings. After that, maybe the display profile itself.

The desktop image in the middle looks "righter" than the others. Ps on the right is ICC literate. Is Vista Photo Viewer?

Why do Ps and VPV look alike, and why are they both "wronger"?

If Huey had got it right at least one of the others should have been closer to the sRGB desktop.

Neil

• Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    The desktop image in the middle looks "righter" than the others. Ps on the right is ICC literate.

Does’t matter which looks righter, Photoshop is right in terms of handling this process as its ICC aware.

One possibility is the image is tagged incorrectly. It could be sRGB tagged as something other than sRGB and Photoshop would make it look awful. That’s why I need to see the document and the color settings.

Another possibility is the profile is hosed.
    Andrew Rodney