*ENTRY* Thread DSS #90 (letter) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited November 29, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #90

Welcome to Round #90 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
from Monday, November 14, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, November 28, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: letter

The idea behind this challenge is to photograph something that starts with the first letter of your user name. If your user name starts with a number then use the letter in the alphabet that corresponds with that number 1 = A, 2 = B etc.

Just in case you still do not understand here is an example: My user name is "sherstone" so I would need to photograph something that starts with "s"
like stump or snail or super or sugar etc...

Hopefully you get the idea. Post questions here if you still need help.

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    What a cool idea, Sean!!! thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    What a cool idea, Sean!!! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    I agree! Great Idea! clap.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    uh oh ... I might be in trouble on this one! Laughing.gif hmmm This is going to be fun, I think.. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    D wings.gif I got this
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Tons of Time To Take TinTypes of Tomatoes, Terraces, or Terapins!!

Thanks,
    Tinamarie52
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Well, those are some good ideas for me! Thanks Sean! :)
    John
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Ditto Jen, I think I might struggle with this one! Now where did I put that dictionary?
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited November 16, 2011
    I think we may all draw a blank at first or the reverse - have to sort through a lot of possibilities to find the ones with real potential. :D
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    "P" words are swirling around in my pea-brain! rolleyes1.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited November 20, 2011
    The wheels are just starting to turn in my head for this challenge and we're almost half way through.... Sigh.

Have a list of ideas starting with S but haven't shot anything yet.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    The wheels are just starting to turn in my head for this challenge and we're almost half way through.... Sigh.

I hear ya... too many possibilities... crap... another "P" word! rolleyes1.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I hear ya... too many possibilities... crap... another "P" word! rolleyes1.gif
    Poker (2 kinds), pachyderm, pretzel, prime, pillow, pill, pillbox, piano.

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I've never really liked the letter "J".
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I've never really liked the letter "J".

Hey, joker, jello, jewels,jaws, junk...

:D
    Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Hi Sean,
    My sub is a joint effort between my daughter and myself. We're moving in a direction to shoot some child portraiture for friends and friends of friends.
    Our process is for Kailee to be behind the camera, while I interact. This serves two purposes. First and foremost, it allows quality time between Kailee and I, and keeps her interested in creating with the camera, and secondly I'm really 5yrs old at heart, so I interact well with the kids in this age range, so I'm working to evoke honest emotion.
    In any event, this being a team effort, I'm happy to setup a new account that would be for Kailee and I. These joint submissions would be rare. This particular shot "Frolic" seemed to fit this challenge.
    Trust that I would NEVER submit an image from her and say it were my own-- without my producing the shoot.

Let me know what you think. Kind of a can of worms.....I'm happy to do whatever you suggest.
  • JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Hi Sean,
    My sub is a joint effort between my daughter and myself. We're moving in a direction to shoot some child portraiture for friends and friends of friends.
    Our process is for Kailee to be behind the camera, while I interact. This serves two purposes. First and foremost, it allows quality time between Kailee and I, and keeps her interested in creating with the camera, and secondly I'm really 5yrs old at heart, so I interact well with the kids in this age range, so I'm working to evoke honest emotion.
    In any event, this being a team effort, I'm happy to setup a new account that would be for Kailee and I. These joint submissions would be rare. This particular shot "Frolic" seemed to fit this challenge.
    Trust that I would NEVER submit an image from her and say it were my own-- without my producing the shoot.

Let me know what you think. Kind of a can of worms.....I'm happy to do whatever you suggest.

Hey, Paul, just looked at the shot. Challenge or not, getting a shot that nice is wonderful. Getting a shot that nice and spending time with your child is priceless. Good for you.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Hi Sean,

Most certainly a gray area and one that the decision will take some thought. I will be considering the merits and drawbacks to both sides of this throughout the day. I also may ask the opinions of other moderators to gain as wide a spread of opinion as possible before ultimately setting a precedent for future entries.
    edited November 22, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Most certainly a gray area and one that the decision will take some thought. I will be considering the merits and drawbacks to both sides of this throughout the day. I also may ask the opinions of other moderators to gain as wide a spread of opinion as possible before ultimately setting a precedent for future entries.

That's why I wanted to bring it up. I hope to keep her active in creating this way, so if need be, I can definately setup a separate user account for us. THat's simple and may eliminate any questions.
    Thanks. Sorry for any headache.
    edited November 22, 2011
    JR303 wrote: »
    Hey, Paul, just looked at the shot. Challenge or not, getting a shot that nice is wonderful. Getting a shot that nice and spending time with your child is priceless. Good for you.

Thanks John...if only you knew the front story of trying to get a 15yr old out the door on time and getting her to understand our window is limited with a 4yr old...Laughing.gif....
    The shoot worked out exactly as I hoped and Kailee had a GREAT time. Look at my Facebook page...and you'll see a pix of me explaining the technique on the shot submitted.......as you can read from my sisters comments......I may be a bit to serious......Laughing.gifOLaughing.gifOL......I'm just sayin'
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Froch - my biggest concern at this point is not so much who is the photographer but that you mention your daughter is only 15 the minimum age allowed to enter into DSS is 18. This is explicitly written into the rules. Even though you have admitted that this is a collaboration and you of course both agree that you worked on it together we still are unable to accept an entry from a photographer younger than 18. I know this is frustrating but we have had many other people ask and it has been discussed at length. Due to the legal problems we have decided to keep this rule in place.

I am sorry but we will not be able to accept your entry. I do hope that this does not discourage you from continuing to spend time and work together because from what I can see it is a wonderful collaboration!
    edited November 23, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    ............... This is explicitly written into the rules. ..........

No worries Sean. I have a similiar reticence to reading a map.........why would I read the instructions or rules for that matter...I'm a man....Laughing.gif....I'm re-inforcing the stereotype. :o)
    Thanks. I'll note on it to 'please remove' from the gallery.
    edited November 23, 2011
    Froch, that is such a lovely portrait. Hope you and your daughter have fun collaborating on more of these photo shoots! Your post took me back to a vacation when we just had our youngest son with us for the first day or two, and I handed him my camera to use around San Francisco. He's been pursuing photography ever since and one of his photos - a product shot - was used by Reuters for an article published Monday. :D (He's created much more interesting shots - this one is just kind of fun because it was published somewhere other than the Villanovan, etc.) Hard to imagine him without a camera in his hands now!

Gretchen
    edited November 23, 2011
    Froch, that is such a lovely portrait. Hope you and your daughter have fun collaborating on more of these photo shoots! Your post took me back to a vacation when we just had our youngest son with us for the first day or two, and I handed him my camera to use around San Francisco. He's been pursuing photography ever since and one of his photos - a product shot - was used by Reuters for an article published Monday. :D (He's created much more interesting shots - this one is just kind of fun because it was published somewhere other than the Villanovan, etc.) Hard to imagine him without a camera in his hands now!

Gretchen

Excellent! Good for him, Gretchen.
    does he attend Villanova?
    edited November 23, 2011
    Excellent! Good for him, Gretchen.
    does he attend Villanova?

Yes, he is finishing up in a few weeks and hopes to get into marketing, but I think photography will be part of his life from here on out. Now people ask if I got into photography because of my son. :D Here's his flickr stream with some portraits, more product shots, one Philly Occupy shot, etc. I could certainly learn a lot from him!
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Gretchen, your son's flckr stream looks GREAT! Bet you sure are proud.
    And Paul, even if the entry wasn't allowed, it is quite a delight. And I appreciate both your honesty and Sean's clear-minded handling of the question.
    My 7-yr-old has been quite the photographer's assistant as well as a companion.....she has a hand-me-down Canon powershot that works most of the time. We will take our cameras out for a walk of an evening and I know I'll cherish the photos and memories for years to come. I hope that she'll grow up taking as much enjoyment from "seeing" the world through a photographer's eye as I have....I know it certainly has enriched my life.
    edited November 23, 2011
    Gretchen, your son's flckr stream looks GREAT! Bet you sure are proud.
    And Paul, even if the entry wasn't allowed, it is quite a delight. And I appreciate both your honesty and Sean's clear-minded handling of the question.
    My 7-yr-old has been quite the photographer's assistant as well as a companion.....she has a hand-me-down Canon powershot that works most of the time. We will take our cameras out for a walk of an evening and I know I'll cherish the photos and memories for years to come. I hope that she'll grow up taking as much enjoyment from "seeing" the world through a photographer's eye as I have....I know it certainly has enriched my life.

15524779-Ti.gif re Paul's delightful entry. And yes, I am generally amazed at the photos my son shoots! Glad you enjoyed them.

So glad to hear that your daughter is joining you on your evening photo shoots! Sounds like you are having fun together!

I got my first "real" camera when I was nine. (I think it involved sending in Campbell's soup labels as well as some hard-earned $.) My father made a camera when he was young and was always interested in photography but never had much time to give to it. But I think his interest sparked mine.

Gretchen
    edited November 24, 2011
    Yes, he is finishing up in a few weeks and hopes to get into marketing, but I think photography will be part of his life from here on out. Now people ask if I got into photography because of my son. :D Here's his flickr stream with some portraits, more product shots, one Philly Occupy shot, etc. I could certainly learn a lot from him!

:o) My mother was from Wayne, PA just outside the Univ. My grandfather (died before I was born) and my uncle worked facility management for the athletic program for decades. My other uncle, who is an artist sculpted the "wildcat" sculpture which is somewhere on the campus. Small world. :o)

I went out and looked his stream on flick...sooo good! I love the shot of the math professor. I work for that light! I am shooting a friends wifes dress design this weekend (my new entry--Fashion...Laughing.gif). And drew inspiration from those two pix of that professor. Very nice!!!
    edited November 24, 2011
    :o) My mother was from Wayne, PA just outside the Univ. My grandfather (died before I was born) and my uncle worked facility management for the athletic program for decades. My other uncle, who is an artist sculpted the "wildcat" sculpture which is somewhere on the campus. Small world. :o)

I went out and looked his stream on flick...sooo good! I love the shot of the math professor. I work for that light! I am shooting a friends wifes dress design this weekend (my new entry--Fashion...Laughing.gif). And drew inspiration from those two pix of that professor. Very nice!!!

Yes, it is a small world :o) I shared your comments with Doug and he was very appreciative. Glad you were able to draw some inspiration from his shots of the math professor.

Yesterday, I looked at your Facebook page and saw more of the photos from your recent shoot with your daughter. Looks like your teamwork resulted in some wonderful shots! I do hope you are able to share your passion for photography with her in this way.

Gretchen
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Got my entry in. Looks to be some strong competition. thumb.gif Good luck everyone.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D