Options

Nikon, unlove-ed?

mugsytoddmugsytodd Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 22, 2005 in Cameras
Hi folks,

I was wondering why you all overwhelmingly use Canon equiptment. I am about to buy a new DSLR and I have used the Nikon D100 extensively with great joy and satisfaction. I am considering a D70s (all my budget will permit, just now) but I am willing to reconsider and buy a Canon. I've got a few Nikon f-mount lenses for a film body, but as I shoot mostly medium format for my art and portraiture I am happy to begin investing in a DSLR system for the future. I really like the Nikon feel and have been happy with the quality. Any compelling reasons to switch to Canon :scratch, and can anybody suggest a body similar to the D100 or D70? Thanks.
Andrew Todd Marcus
Fotografía y Diseño
Photography & Design
http://catfish.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I thought the same thing when looking through this forum! But ended up buying a D70s and I love it.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Well which answer do you want first. The one canon sends with their new equipment for us to tell our friends who are thinking about buying or the real answer?

The general consensus is that canon is leading in the technology right now, features, advancements, quality, etc. With a much wider variety of products and wider price point range.

Nikon is still a great system. But they just aren't as inovative.

Harry and alot of great dgrinners like greaper all shoot nikon.

Oh and the other advantage of buying canon is you can get tons of deals on great used equipment. Just send andy an email every two weeks and see what is he is a mood to sell that week.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    there are lots of nikon shooters here :D

harryb
    bfjr
    greaper
    angelo
    4labs
    johnr
    seymore

and more more more
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Canon, Nikon, whatever go with what you like and feels right to you !!
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    So Andy, what are you selling this week?
    Andrew Todd Marcus
    Fotografía y Diseño
    Photography & Design
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Glad to see that this did not degenerate into a Nikon vs. Canon thread.

I shoot Nikon and have done so for years. Presently I have a D70 and D2X. Both cameras are great. Canon clearly leads the market in numbers of users throughout the world. Nikon barely makes the top five.

I don't believe this has anything to do with a lack of quality or innovation at Nikon. If you have used Nikon in the past and have some Nikon glass, then you would be happy with the D70s. My question would be why are you switching from a D100 to a D70s?
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Nikon user here like Andy listed. :)

I say get whatever DSLR system you like and can afford though since you already have some Nikon stuff it would be a waste to switch.

Go to your local camera store and handle each one: D70s, D70, D50 and 300XT or 350XT or whatever Canon has and decide which one feels right to you. They all take great photos.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:

I shoot Nikon and have done so for years.

and a darn good shooter, you are. sorry i fogot about ya, mitchel bowdown.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I used to date a Nikon-girl, and she couldn't figure out why I shoot Canon either. I always told her it was because I shoot primarily sports (motorized ones), and that I need fast auto-focus lenses and good telephotos. She always told me that Nikon had better glass, especially at wide angle, and that her Fuji body had very nice skin tones. It didn't really seem to sink in to her that I don't shoot wide angle and I don't shoot people... :shrug

I think Canon is seen as having a much larger variety of dSLR bodies to choose from, with higher pixel counts than Nikon and with a wider assortment of sensor sizes. Nikon does have a good idea with their recent pro body that has the dual shooting modes. However they really missed the boat with it when it came to sensor size. The high resolution mode is still a 1.5 crop factor sensor. And the high-speed mode is a 2.0 crop factor. It seems most serious pros really want the full-frame sensor because of its ability to separate the background from the subject better. Imagine a 5D with those two modes, where hi-res was full frame and the high-speed mode was only 1.3 or 1.5 factor.

I don't know if Nikon glass is better or not than Canon. But if it is better I think its mostly academic. And the Canon glass is a lot more affordable.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and a darn good shooter, you are. sorry i fogot about ya, mitchel bowdown.gif
    Andy, you are forgiven.lol3.gif

With only 4,812 members here, you would think you could remember what we all shoot!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    Mitchell,

The D100 I had was on a long term loan from a friend who suddenly decided he wanted it back. Hey, no complaints here. I've done a fair bit of research and it seems like the D70s is a better camera than the D100 (vertical grip option aside) so if I am going to buy something new, I'd rather save some money on the D70s rather than the D100 and buy a new lens.

Thanks for the input, everyone, and I am glad I DIDN'T spark a Nikon-Canon battle. After all of your thought, I think I'll just stick with what I know and love. I just wantd to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Mitchell wrote:
    Glad to see that this did not degenerate into a Nikon vs. Canon thread.

I shoot Nikon and have done so for years. Presently I have a D70 and D2X. Both cameras are great. Canon clearly leads the market in numbers of users throughout the world. Nikon barely makes the top five.

I don't believe this has anything to do with a lack of quality or innovation at Nikon. If you have used Nikon in the past and have some Nikon glass, then you would be happy with the D70s. My question would be why are you switching from a D100 to a D70s?
    Andrew Todd Marcus
    Fotografía y Diseño
    Photography & Design
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    ISO performance for the 20D
    lens resale value and the ability to find more used Canon glass for sale as opposed to Nikon
    A Full Frame camera waiting for me when I decide (my wallet decides) to buy it.

Those were the reasons that made me go with Canon and 20D instead of the Nikon D70.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 24, 2005
    Liked Khaos said!!xzicon_smile_cool.gif

Option of a full frame camera - either now or perhaps in the future, suggests choosing CANON. Full frame will give shallower DOF with standard 35mm lenses. The 35mm lenses developed over the last 50 years, favor a full frame sensor. If pricees were the same for Full frame vs APS sized sensors, which would most folks buy??

Nikons take great pictures, I was a Nikon film SLR owner. But I believe Canon offeres more and better choices for now and in the future, particularly in lenses.ne_nau.gif DSFDF
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Nikon for me
    I went through a similar decision when I was looking for my first dSLR. Granted, I was looking at the D50 vs. the Rebel XT.

For me it came down to how it felt. The D50 just "felt" better. When I started my search, I would have put money down that I was going to get a Canon. However, after looking at the options and reading the reviews, I ended up with the Nikon.

There was a little incentive for me, because I have a Nikon SLR. Now I can use my new speedlight and any non-DX lens I get with my film camera too.

I'm just do this as a hobby, so I didn't figure that I would expire the Nikon glass collection... that just didn't factor in for me.

I am very happy with the Nikon. Would I have been happy with the canon also... probably, I guess I'll never know.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I understand the desire for the full frame sensor, but to me, its not important.

I dont shoot wide often. I shoot Long a lot. The crop factor does not hurt me in my opinion, it helps me, and I would love the D2X

On the flip side

If I were starting from scratch, right now, I would probably buy a canon as I think the 20D is one of the best bang for the buck cameras out there with a great feature set and excellent performance.

As a nikon user, I do feel that Nikon has lagged behind Canon in inovation and bringing products to the market and they are paying for it with market share loss.

As a nikon user I have to spend 5 grand to get above 6MP, Canon has 2 bodies under 2 that are above that.

There is plenty of quality glass and accessories for both systems.

I was not starting from scratch when I bought my D100, I had six nikon lenses, a flash and 2 nikon film bodies.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    And the Canon glass is a lot more affordable.
    That & the 20D's beautiful high ISO's did it for me.

Just remember guys...if we didnt have choices our hobby would be priced out of most of our reach. Thank god for the 'other' brand.. be that nikon or canon for keeping the opposing companies pencils sharp.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    But I believe Canon offeres more and better choices for now and in the future, particularly in lenses
    What's funny is that the main reason I stick with Nikon is the Nikon lenses. If I could use them on a Canon body, I'd seriously look at one of the full frame Canons. My take is that Nikon lenses are better, but Canon are leading in sensor technology.

As it is, I love my 28-70 and 70-200 VR and there's no way I leave them behind. If Nikon ever goes full frame - I'm ready! I only own one DX lens - the Tokina 12-24. I'd love to swap it for the Nikon 17-35 on a 35mm sensor camera.
  • Options
    graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I shoot with Canon because it's incredibly versatile for your options. I currently use adapters with it to use my old Nikon, Contax, Leica and Hasselblad glass.

When it comes to the image sensors in their digital SLRs, there is no other that can compare in that category. I love the low noise.

Another point would be that Canon has alot more image stabilized lenses than Nikon, which is a big deal these days. For sports its critical.

I will say this though, being a Canon user myself. Nikon makes some pretty damn good lenses that can beat Canon's equivalents.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    i was not on the list but if you like blue --stay with nikon rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif or be blue with canon or something like that
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 26, 2005
    Mugsy - your post piqued my interest and I checked... moderators for 19 of 20 forums here are Canonites. Harry appears to be the lone Nikonian. I never realized it before. Hmmmmm!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Mugsy - your post piqued my interest and I checked... moderators for 19 of 20 forums here are Canonites. Harry appears to be the lone Nikonian. I never realized it before. Hmmmmm!
    It had been an impression, then I did a run through of a bunch of users and found arounf 90% Canon. Neat thing to notice, probably doesn't mean anything.
    Andrew Todd Marcus
    Fotografía y Diseño
    Photography & Design
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Well Harry has to have some redeeming qualities rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifblbl.gif :lol4

besides remember that old "Hebrew National" commercial........ we Nikonian's have to answer to a higher authority rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif twice :uhoh rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Its a lonely task Angelo trying to bring enlightenment to the Cannonites. mwink.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 26, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Its a lonely task Angelo trying to bring enlightenment to the Cannonites. mwink.gif
    So true, so true! When are these Canonites going to figure out that if they had quality glass to purchase in the first place they wouldn't need to replace so much!!!??? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2005
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    andy wrote:

I can vouch for Andy. He has yet to meet a camera or lens he wouldn't buy. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    I can vouch for Andy. He has yet to meet a camera or lens he wouldn't buy. rolleyes1.gif
    Camera, Lense, Steak, Filter, Fried Food, Rib, Laptop, Apple, Apple computer, iPod, etc.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I shot Nikon for years (FM2N) with lots of their "best" (at the time) glass. I loved it. I went Canon with my digital equipment. Mainly because all my Nikon stuff was old manual focusing glass. I also felt Canon offered more bang for the buck and technical advances that Nikon seemed to miss the boat on. The main reasons I went Canon in the end were that Harry, Ben and Jeff all shoot Nikon. I was worried about getting the "funky blues" and craving pineapple on my pizza.

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    RickP66RickP66 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    For me, when I bought my first DSLR, Canon had the only one I could afford: the 300D. As I bought more glass and learned more about shooting with an SLR, I bought subsequent Canons and now I am a hopeless addict... :D
    Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    mugsytodd wrote:
    Hi folks,

I was wondering why you all overwhelmingly use Canon equiptment. I am about to buy a new DSLR and I have used the Nikon D100 extensively with great joy and satisfaction. I am considering a D70s (all my budget will permit, just now) but I am willing to reconsider and buy a Canon. I've got a few Nikon f-mount lenses for a film body, but as I shoot mostly medium format for my art and portraiture I am happy to begin investing in a DSLR system for the future. I really like the Nikon feel and have been happy with the quality. Any compelling reasons to switch to Canon headscratch.gif, and can anybody suggest a body similar to the D100 or D70? Thanks.
    Ack! Phhpdgdy!!

Please Mugsy, whatever you do, just wait 7 days. Nikon's got something up their sleeve. Something you will love if you're used to the D100.

Try the 20D, see if it can fit you. Features that were important to me I found inferior by Nikon's standards. Your decision might vary. But please, just wait a week or so before you decide.

Clicky here for more info:
    http://www.xanga.com/icrashonmyface

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum