Options

Monitor -- IPS

2»

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you have replaced both the monitor and the computer, about all that remains to try are:
    Monitor cable. Has this been replaced?

Are you using an adapter of any kind to go from the computer to the display?

If the computer "and" the monitor have an alternate method of attachment, i.e. a VGA cable, try that temporarily.

RF/EMF interference. In rare instances, strong currents from nearby appliances can cause strange artifacts to appear on the screen. While it normally happened with CRT devices, I have seen some strange manifestations on LCD displays too. The usual test is to move just the computer and display to a different site in the house, to see if the problems go away. Also, leave the cables loose for the test. Sometime, tying the cables into a bundle can cause problems. (Avoid parallel cable runs.)

Yes the monitor cables have been changed out. We've tried the VGA and same thing happened. Tried new DVI-D and same thing happens. All plug ins are the same. Only thing I've changed is I'm not using a computer hutch anymore, but a library desk. My computer unit is still sitting in the same spot as it was with my computer hutch. Nothing has changed which is really perplexing. Cables are loose .. messy loose.

Have not moved it to a different area of the house. I can try that. I have moved it to a different area of my computer room with no difference.

What is 'parallel cable runs'?

No adapter being used.

I will move it somewhere else and see what happens and post the results.

Thanks for the help Ziggy :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,873 moderator
    edited December 26, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    ... What is 'parallel cable runs'?

Many people tie their cables together, or they run their cables through a common hole or conduit. When un-shielded cables are used, the signal from the un-shielded cable can emit RF signals, much like a radio transmitter. Even shielded cables can be affected, if their shielding is not perfect, because of the close proximity of having the cables run parallel for a distance. (This is basically the same way that electrical transformers are produced.)

If the cables are just laid separate, this type of electrical cross-talk is reduced. There are even cable run strategies to eliminate the interference, if that's the problem.

Power cables run too close to monitor cables can cause occasional problems, for instance. That's because power cables are typically un-shielded "and" because power cables have a relatively high voltage, compared to monitor signal voltages.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Many people tie their cables together, or they run their cables through a common hole or conduit. When un-shielded cables are used, the signal from the un-shielded cable can emit RF signals, much like a radio transmitter. Even shielded cables can be affected, if their shielding is not perfect, because of the close proximity of having the cables run parallel for a distance. (This is basically the same way that electrical transformers are produced.)

If the cables are just laid separate, this type of electrical cross-talk is reduced. There are even cable run strategies to eliminate the interference, if that's the problem.

Power cables run too close to monitor cables can cause occasional problems, for instance. That's because power cables are typically un-shielded "and" because power cables have a relatively high voltage, compared to monitor signal voltages.

Interesting .. I didn't know this :D I love learning something new and today I did .. thumb.gif

Just moved my computer to the kitchen. I know .. maybe not the best place, but had easier access to the plug-ins. The line showed up again as soon as I turned on the computer. What I find strange is on the desktop it's black, but changes to yellow when I go online or open a program. I read last night were someone said ... LCD going faulty or one or more of the transistors that operates the LCD elements RGB has faulted 'ON'. Don't know if that is anything to wonder about. But that couldn't be happening to both monitors I have/had. I did try out an old LCD monitor of my Mom's and the line never showed up. I only had that monitor attached for a few hours and turned my computer on and off a few times. Could that mean something? I'm starting to wonder if Dell has some bad video cards????

Edit...

I'm wondering if it's a W7 issue. A bug that's shown up? Why would it happen when I first turn it on or when it comes out of 'sleep mode' and doesn't show up when it goes away after I'm on the computer for awhile.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Your last note really has two critical pieces of info. One is that the line goes away after the monitor is on for a while. The other is that if you put a completely different monitor on the system the line doesn't appear.

So your tests have pretty much eliminated any issues with cables.

And the fact that you could put a completely different monitor on the system pretty much eliminates system and video card... it doesn't completely eliminate the video card, because your Dell monitor may be making it operate in a different mode than you mothers monitor does..

One last test you can try is to put your new monitor on your mothers system. If the line still appears it is almost certainly the monitor. If it doesn't appear than it probably the video card.

In any case it's definitly possible that you got two bad monitors (or two bad video cards). Electronics are built in batches and it may be that both monitors (or cards) came from the same batch that included a bad or marginal component.

Interesting .. I didn't know this :D I love learning something new and today I did .. thumb.gif

Just moved my computer to the kitchen. I know .. maybe not the best place, but had easier access to the plug-ins. The line showed up again as soon as I turned on the computer. What I find strange is on the desktop it's black, but changes to yellow when I go online or open a program. I read last night were someone said ... LCD going faulty or one or more of the transistors that operates the LCD elements RGB has faulted 'ON'. Don't know if that is anything to wonder about. But that couldn't be happening to both monitors I have/had. I did try out an old LCD monitor of my Mom's and the line never showed up. I only had that monitor attached for a few hours and turned my computer on and off a few times. Could that mean something? I'm starting to wonder if Dell has some bad video cards????

Edit...

I'm wondering if it's a W7 issue. A bug that's shown up? Why would it happen when I first turn it on or when it comes out of 'sleep mode' and doesn't show up when it goes away after I'm on the computer for awhile.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Your last note really has two critical pieces of info. One is that the line goes away after the monitor is on for a while. The other is that if you put a completely different monitor on the system the line doesn't appear.

So your tests have pretty much eliminated any issues with cables.

And the fact that you could put a completely different monitor on the system pretty much eliminates system and video card... it doesn't completely eliminate the video card, because your Dell monitor may be making it operate in a different mode than you mothers monitor does..

One last test you can try is to put your new monitor on your mothers system. If the line still appears it is almost certainly the monitor. If it doesn't appear than it probably the video card.

In any case it's definitly possible that you got two bad monitors (or two bad video cards). Electronics are built in batches and it may be that both monitors (or cards) came from the same batch that included a bad or marginal component.

I will try my monitor on another computer. I have one here I can play with. I'll post the results.

I was wondering if my Mom's monitor could run differently on my computer vs hers. I'd think it could. I'll hook up my Mom's old computer to my monitor and see what happens.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Dogdots.... what resolution are you running on your Dell 2209WA? 1680x1050 is what I expect your answer to be.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    ... What I find strange is on the desktop it's black, but changes to yellow when I go online or open a program. ...

I did find a report of another Dell customer with a similar yellow line problem with the same model monitor:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19386334/19896121.aspx#19896121
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    Dogdots.... what resolution are you running on your Dell 2209WA? 1680x1050 is what I expect your answer to be.

Yeppers I am :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    I did find a report of another Dell customer with a similar yellow line problem with the same model monitor:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19386334/19896121.aspx#19896121

I want to revert back to my childhood when things were so easy and simple.

Thanks Ziggy .. this will be brought up with the Dell Dude when he calls me today. I didn't see this posting when I was searching last night.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Dan7312 and everyone else :D

I connected my Mom's old computer that's running Windows XP and uses a VGA cable. No issues. I turned my computer on and off. Never showed up. Then hooked my computer up to the moniter using the VGA cable and my desktop came up .. walked away and returned and the screen started zapping white lines on the bottom. Stopped and ran fine with no black line. I then hooked up my DVI cable and am running that now. Same thing .. zapping white lines across the bottom for a second or two. Haven't shut it down yet because I wanted to post this.

The line is there which ever cable I use. It just all depends on if and when it shows up. After reading what Ziggy linked to I'm expecting a new monitor. I remember being referenced to a Dell U2412M. This Dell guy want's to put my case to rest as I'm sure it's tiring him out as much as me. Hopefully he'll send out that monitor and we can give it a try. Might want to throw in a upgraded video card too. Right now I have a AMD Radeon HD 6670.

Did look in my Device Manager and see my monitor is being read as a 'Generic PnP Monitor'. Does that sound right? I thought it listed them as what they are .. such as a Dell 2209WA.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Be careful what you wish for. If it were me, I would probably ask how much it would cost to upgrade me to a specific monitor (and i would research first to find a suitable monitor with the features and repair history to my liking first.)

If you insist on getting a "new" replacement monitor for free, it may not be suitable for your needs. I would rather pay a bit more to get what I "need" and one that seems to have a proven record of few repairs (although the model 2209WA repair history seems not that bad, considering the quantity involved).

Do document the problem with the monitor by taking a photo(s) of the problem, so that Dell support has an idea of what you're seeing. Make sure that you shoot JPG and RAW and retain full EXIF in the image file (to corroborate the date.) Retain the RAW file in case you need it for legalities but send them the JPG.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Be careful what you wish for. If it were me, I would probably ask how much it would cost to upgrade me to a specific monitor (and i would research first to find a suitable monitor with the features and repair history to my liking first.)

If you insist on getting a "new" replacement monitor for free, it may not be suitable for your needs. I would rather pay a bit more to get what I "need" and one that seems to have a proven record of few repairs (although the model 2209WA repair history seems not that bad, considering the quantity involved).

Do document the problem with the monitor by taking a photo(s) of the problem, so that Dell support has an idea of what you're seeing. Make sure that you shoot JPG and RAW and retain full EXIF in the image file (to corroborate the date.) Retain the RAW file in case you need it for legalities but send them the JPG.

Laughing.gif .. I've heard the 'be careful for what you wish for' many times.

Will do research. I've documented the problem along with sent photos to them with date, etc. It was when I sent a photo to them that they looked for another 2209. Only I didn't take in RAW. Will do that tho again and send off another set of photos. I'm sure they'll want to see what it's doing now after getting a new computer.

Thanks Ziggy thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2011
    Update ..

Talked with Dell. I was told they are having issues with the video card I'm using .. brand wise. Others are having the same problem as I. So he says. He did download an update. He wanted to me try it out for a few shut downs and restarts to see if the line showed up and it did. He's calling tomorrow and I'll tell him the line is still there. He'll issue a new video card then .. the GForce GT 545. Not a clue if that's a good one or not. I know nothing about stuff like this. He says it can handle 2-DVI connectors and 1-DMI connectors. Still confused. All I want is the line to be gone :D

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully by the end of the wk the line will be history :D
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Did look in my Device Manager and see my monitor is being read as a 'Generic PnP Monitor'. Does that sound right? I thought it listed them as what they are .. such as a Dell 2209WA.

You need to update the monitor driver. Should of/would of been changed to show the monitor model if you'd used the CD that Dell sent with the monitor.

Sometimes this info disappears with the re-installation of Windows or an update to the AMD video driver.

What I've done is copy the three key files off the Dell CD to a folder on my drive so it can be refreshed easily if required. Then I open the Device Manager, open the monitor link, and update the driver pointing it to the folder I have the 2209WA files in.

2209wa.cat
    2209WA.ICM
    2209WA.inf

Btw... I also have an AMD/ATi video card, the 5770, and have no issues with lines at this time, latest AMD utility installed of course.

It seems kind of a shot in the dark that they are sending you a new Nvidia card to fix the issue. As I understand it there were reports of lines with the 2209WA before your AMD/ATi model was released.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    You need to update the monitor driver. Should of/would of been changed to show the monitor model if you'd used the CD that Dell sent with the monitor.

Sometimes this info disappears with the re-installation of Windows or an update to the AMD video driver.

What I've done is copy the three key files off the Dell CD to a folder on my drive so it can be refreshed easily if required. Then I open the Device Manager, open the monitor link, and update the driver pointing it to the folder I have the 2209WA files in.

2209wa.cat
    2209WA.ICM
    2209WA.inf

Btw... I also have an AMD/ATi video card, the 5770, and have no issues with lines at this time, latest AMD utility installed of course.

It seems kind of a shot in the dark that they are sending you a new Nvidia card to fix the issue. As I understand it there were reports of lines with the 2209WA before your AMD/ATi model was released.

I'll look for my monitor CD, but was wondering if I can just click on the Generic PnP that's listed under Monitor in my device driver and do an update?

I like your idea of keeping a file ... I will do that. Something I never thought of doing or knew could be done.

Suppose they're sending out a new brand of card because they've tried 3 of the other brand in my old computer and my new one has the same brand. Your lucky the line hasn't shown up. It's a big irritant that's for sure.