Options

Lastolite Trilite?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 28, 2013 in Accessories
t385_8c1b6eadf62693947c3210f2aa116385.jpg?

Westcott has a similar product, but it's actually MORE expensive than the Lastolite version above, which clocks in at nearly $200 (without the light stand - just the frame and reflectors).

Something like this could be very helpful to me for headshots - I use tons of reflectors anyway, but to have them on one stand and a little more manipulable would be great. I thought of rigging one up myself, but it's the flexible frame which is appealing, so PVC pipe solutions etc won't really work - seems like this design would take up SO much less room in my small space, as well as be easy to break down and store....

Not a cheap item, however, so wondering if anybody here has used one? Know of any knockoffs? (Been sniffing around Amazon and Ebay, but the Interfit one seems huge - and the reflectors all attach via clips like their regular reflector arm, which would be awkward to adjust I think - and the Cowboy one is out of stock. One other by DMK, but it's actually kinda expensive given it doesn't include the actual reflectors and my existing ones wouldn't fit....).

Just thought I'd throw it out for comment and discussion. Ta ever so! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 1, 2012
    Wouldn't you get the same result using foamcore?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Yes, foam core would be fine - it gives a beautiful soft glow, in fact. It's not really the reflectors per se that are the issue, but their tight layout and the frame that holds them. The other frames I've seen are much bigger and bulkier. I typically shoot headshots in my 10x14 living room (so while the measurements sound fine, consider the 2x bookcases, sofa, chair, desk and media center to work around!), so space is at a huge premium and anything which keeps things compact and manageable is very, very helpful.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    I'll admit, it is a compact size for what it does and creates a nice wrap around light.

Do you typically use a similar setup? I ask because the simple way would be to have your subject hold a Trigrip.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

Something like this could be very helpful to me for headshots - I use tons of reflectors anyway, but to have them on one stand and a little more manipulable would be great. I thought of rigging one up myself, but it's the flexible frame which is appealing, so PVC pipe solutions etc won't really work - seems like this design would take up SO much less room in my small space, as well as be easy to break down and store....

This is cool! Never seen it before. I don't see any flexible frame. I do see where I think the attachment points could be adjustable on the individual arms to cause the reflectors to flex. And from buying as much grip gear, I don't think you could rig a better solution than buying this (kind of) solution.

Also did you see the Interfit: INT295?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Yeah Tom, that Interfit is the one I mentioned in my original post. Tempting... BUT. I have an Interfit reflector stand/holder and, while it's a very useful bit of gear, the way the reflectors attach to the arms is a little awkward. It's fine for one section, but I can imagine it being a real pain to adjust in the tri configuration.

Ian, yes I do often use a similar setup - usually one large reflector to the side, a piece of foamcore on a music stand in front of them (music stands are surprisingly useful pieces of photo gear when necessary ;) with a Photek softliter or 16" SB in front or slightly off to the side (clamshell-ish orientation).

I'll be honest - it's the convenience of this product which appeals as much as anything else. Frankly, what I'd REALLY like is the Trilite Speedlight setup - compact with only one stand involved (working around - read, tripping over! - stand legs is the bane of my life in my space), and pretty much exactly the way I light things much of the time anyway - but there's no way I can pony up $450 for the privilege...

t257_74256cfd658d8b7116d1a8debf82676a.jpg?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    It's definitely convenient and compact. Sounds to me like the latter is a pretty good reason to try it out.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    What's not to like Diva? Compact, Lastolite value, fast setup, flexible. Sounds like money to me. One light. Headshot in a box.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Hey! This is very fertile DIY ground indeed!clap.gifclapclap.gif

(I'm not at all surprised to see Tom come buzzing up to this honeypot!:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    CowboyStudios website says theirs is in stock, http://www.cowboystudio.com/product/c03/p0304-04.php

I've been wanting one of these (the Lastolite version) for some time but have been put off by the price, as it's not something I would use a lot. This one might work though.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Yes, it was OOS at Amazon - I hadn't looked at their own site. Thanks! It looks very similar to the Interfit one - the clips look the same. Still, at that price, it might be worth considering ~muses~

I really do like the Lastolite, but it's so expensive - $200 for just the triflector, over $400 with the Speedlight overhead boom arm/stand. But man, that one-stand speedlight setup looks fabulously convenient to use! I keep trying to imagine how I could rig something similar with a boom arm or clamp....
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    But man, that one-stand speedlight setup looks fabulously convenient to use! .

I agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Consider figuring out how or if the stand will save you time or money. If you think it will, you can work out how much/long it will take to pay for itself and whether or not it'll pay it for itself over its lifetime.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Ian, that's the hard part - I do enough headshots to need equipment to help me out, but not enough (or consistently enough) to consider investing in high-end items as a pay-for-itself, must-have business expense.

I wish somebody had seen one of these in real life - what I'm trying to figure out is how much play/reach/bend/adjustability the boom arm has. If it limits an SB to that configuration it's useful but is, in fact, limited... meaning the original no-boom configuration is more convenient. With the original Trilite you can flip a side down to increase light falloff in one direction etc etc.

I will say that Cowboy have a couple of great boom stands - this is something I often need and probably ought to buy, and their prices are good. What I wish I could find, though, is a lightstand where you could use it almost as a "tree" with more than one accessory/boom - it would be cool to be able to have a reflector arm attached to the vertical part of the stand, and then a boom with hairlight above, for instance, or maybe a boom stretched out one to the right and one to the left. Is there such a thing in the consumer market, or are you looking at high-end photographic or theatrical stands for that? ne_nau.gif

Sorry - just thinking out loud here....
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    What I wish I could find, though, is a lightstand where you could use it almost as a "tree" with more than one accessory/boom - it would be cool to be able to have a reflector arm attached to the vertical part of the stand, and then a boom with hairlight above, for instance, or maybe a boom stretched out one to the right and one to the left. Is there such a thing in the consumer market, or are you looking at high-end photographic or theatrical stands for that? ne_nau.gif

Sorry - just thinking out loud here....

yes: AutoPoles ( B&H). and yes, I can see them in my near term basket! You can build off of these. Cross-bars, Super clamps, etc.

On the Cowboy Studio pieces, don't forget they don't come with the reflectors.

but on the other lastolite things Diva, Seems to me if it simply makes your job easier, more pleasant etc., then it's a winner.
    tom wise
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    What I wish I could find, though, is a lightstand where you could use it almost as a "tree" with more than one accessory/boom - it would be cool to be able to have a reflector arm attached to the vertical part of the stand, and then a boom with hairlight above, for instance, or maybe a boom stretched out one to the right and one to the left....

Seems to me you've just described a beefy air-cushioned lightstand with a couple of Manfrotto Superclamps. No?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Seems to me you've just described a beefy air-cushioned lightstand with a couple of Manfrotto Superclamps. No?

Possibly.... Except the superclamps would need to have fittings to take the various items. I wonder if those clip clamps are strong enough to hold reflectors without any additional attachments? headscratch.gif Can't think what they're called right now, but the ones that have an ordinary squeeze clip instead of a jaw clamp.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Hey! This is very fertile DIY ground indeed!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Totally. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Possibly.... Except the superclamps would need to have fittings to take the various items. I wonder if those clip clamps are strong enough to hold reflectors without any additional attachments? headscratch.gif Can't think what they're called right now, but the ones that have an ordinary squeeze clip instead of a jaw clamp.

The super clamps will hold a lot. It's been a while but I think they come with studs so you shouldn't need too much more to make it work.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012

No....You really really want Super Clamps! Those things ( and you may already have some) are so very strong! I use them so much lately it's plum stupid!

What they have are called bosses. A boss ( in Mechanic-tech vocabulary) is a threaded hole and on those it's 1/4-20 tpi (threads per inch), which is the same as your Cameras Mounting boss on the bottom. Another neat attachment is this thing here ( B&H). I use this to facilitate two cameras on one tripod and a Monitor with Battery too.

but one Super clamp, and the autopole would facilitate mounting lights er whatever with a Superclamp.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    The super clamps will hold a lot. It's been a while but I think they come with studs so you shouldn't need too much more to make it work.

And yes The Superclamp, does come with Stud too..Bonus.thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Do you mean a Justin clamp? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349147-REG/Manfrotto_175F_1_175F_Justin_Spring_Clamp.html

They grab really tight and have no trouble holding a flash like a 580ex. I plenty strong enough to hold a reflector, though I'm not sure how you might attach the reflector to it.
    ian408 wrote: »
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Dan - I think those were the ones I was thinking but I'd forgotten they were only a clip on one side (somehow in my mind I'd morphed a regular superclamp and one of those into one item). Maybe it's the Nasty Clamps? I need to do some research. I'm sure somebody must have made one which is a superclamp (or strong spring clamp) on one side, and has another spring clip on the other as well. Time to get my google on... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    You could make a Frankenclamp
    empty-X2.jpg

2-X2.jpg
    Dan - I think those were the ones I was thinking but I'd forgotten they were only a clip on one side (somehow in my mind I'd morphed a regular superclamp and one of those into one item). Maybe it's the Nasty Clamps? I need to do some research. I'm sure somebody must have made one which is a superclamp (or strong spring clamp) on one side, and has another spring clip on the other as well. Time to get my google on... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    You could make a Frankinclamp
    empty-X2.jpg

I like that. May have to try that.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    ETA: for those wanting to see the Lastolite in action, I found this video. It's bigger than I was thinking, but looks like the panels move without needing to screw/unscrew any joints. http://www.lastolite.us/SERVICES/Media+Center/?cat1=Ezybox+Hotshoe&cat2=Using+2+Ezybox+Hotshoes+and+a+TriLite+%28TriFlector%29

Also, I'm wondering if the Westcott is heading out of production - it's not on their own website, even though B&H and Amazon still have it listed in their catalog.....

==================

Frankenclip - love it! 'Course, by the time one has made a few of those you're already up to $200 so not sure it's a moneysaver unless you already have the clips in-house (I have one, so not enough to play... ;)

I've had a flurry of enquiries in the last week - if enough of them book, I'll be getting one of these items - a triflector will definitely be a good investment for me. On reflection, I think despite the convenience the Speedlight boom setup isn't necessarily what I want - I like being able to move my light around a little more than that would easily allow (sometimes to the side, sometimes behind me for true clamshell etc) etc. It's a terrific idea, but not sure it's quite flexible enough for my needs, although I think a boom arm is definitely in my future - Cowboy have a great selection of affordable ones.

Which leaves choosing between the Lastolite, and the even more expensive Westcott (which looks like it might offer more traditional "windowpane" catchlights). What I really wish is that I could see these products in person to get a better sense of how they hinge, how the reflectors attach and how much space they take up both in use and broken down, but I don't think anybody around here would have them in stock for me to look at headscratch.gif

63306.jpg
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I think what you really need is to get yourself a VAL or two and three LasoLite handheld panels.

On a more serious note, have you thought about a gooseneck mic stand with a spring loaded mic clip such as http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHR122/ and http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gooseneck13/ on it? Then you can use it as a multitasker.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    What a great McGyver idea BB! thumb.gif

In the meantime, I just booked a session so ordered the Trilite (basic version) and a Cowboy Studio boom stand. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.....
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Practice session using the Trilite, along with a 430ex fired through a 16" Cheetah Qbox, and a bit of ambient from windows

i-WxzgD8r-L.jpg

Verdict: high quality, well-made, and does something no other set of reflectors could easily do. Although I think at $200 it's priced too high, it is the only thing on the market that will give you quite this configuration in such a small footprint. I still can't believe I ponied up the price of a used 430ex for a set of reflectors, but the ease of use and specific "tool for the job" is a strong draw.

The frame/clips aren't quite as easy to use as I'd hoped, although they are definitely easier than the plastic pinch-clips on my Interfit reflector holder (much). The Lastolite ones are a sort of chunky, wedge-shaped rubber "clamp" - it's all rubber, but you squeeze the solid side, and the split side opens up so you can fit the rim of the reflector into it.

Anyway, there we have it. Priced awfully high IMO, but very good at what it does and if what it does is what you need... it's pretty much an invaluable piece of kit despite the price-tag.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Looks good!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012

I still can't believe I ponied up the price of a used 430ex for a set of reflectors, but the ease of use and specific "tool for the job" is a strong draw.

.............. Priced awfully high IMO, but very good at what it does and if what it does is what you need... it's pretty much an invaluable piece of kit despite the price-tag.

Ahhh! In touch with your 'Male' side now!:D

Useful purchase!
    tom wise