Lastolite Trilite?

2»

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Ahhh! In touch with your 'Male' side now!:D

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

More a case of I just couldn't figure out a successful way of DIYing it that would keep it in as small a footprint as the actual product - believe me, if I could have, I would have!! That is a LOT of money for three pieces of sturdy tinfoil and some rubber clippie-thingies.... lol3.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Let's see, foamcore, mylar space blanket, spray glue, wire coat hangers....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012

... and ... your shots with it, please!deal.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012

Seriously. The panels are the easy part - foamcore or cheap eBay reflectors, no problem. The frame, however.... My guess is skinny PVC pipe with some kind of ball-socket joint is the way to go, but I couldn't figure out how to attach arms securely (and then attach the assembly to a stand) and ran out of time to try and figure it out. If you come up with a way to DIY one of these you should definitely post! I'm all for putting some bank behind my gear where necessary (eg lenses), but this is a very arguable "necessary" - it was entirely about ease-of-use on this occasion.............

Then again, if you don't include the initial $4 investment into the soda that came in the cartons I used to make 'em, I paid less than $4 each for my DIY stripboxes, so maybe it all evens out over time.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited January 25, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    ... I couldn't figure out how to attach arms securely (and then attach the assembly to a stand) ...

These clamps might do to provide the hinge action between 3 sheets of foam-core:

http://www.adorama.com/FPCM.html

http://www.porters.com/flash-studio/lighting-accessories/manfrotto-double-clip.html

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351828.html

A heavy duty music stand might be suitable to hold the center panel. Numerous methods to attach.

http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Gear-Heavy-Duty-Folding-Music/dp/B003LTJ404/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

For a less portable studio application:

http://www.amazon.com/Manhasset-Model-Sheet-Music-Stand/dp/B0002FOBJY
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    These clamps might do to provide the hinge action between 3 sheets of foam-core:...
    I finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered 10 double clips from adorama (they are also cheaper in bulk:-). Don't know if I'm gonna use them for this particular setup, but they look versatile enough for various things (gobos, other reflectors, flags, etc), so should be a good addition to my studio.
    Thanks, Ziggy thumb.gif!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered 10 double clips from adorama (they are also cheaper in bulk:-). Don't know if I'm gonna use them for this particular setup, but they look versatile enough for various things (gobos, other reflectors, flags, etc), so should be a good addition to my studio.
    Thanks, Ziggy thumb.gif!

Yes, they are handy for lots of things. In my old studio job I used them to hold light flags, filters, scrims, and also just to help suspend things, both in the picture and outside of the image.

They are pretty cheaply made, and the ability to hold a position gets worse the more you use them. Still, I bet I could DIY engineer some additional hold into their design.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    thumb.gif Ziggy!

Btw, I have been using my music stand as a reflector holder for ages! It's ok - and I still enlist it for use when needed - but it's not as flexible as the Trilite and can only really hold one reflector. It's still a great workaround for lots of things though!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    They are pretty cheaply made, and the ability to hold a position gets worse the more you use them. Still, I bet I could DIY engineer some additional hold into their design.
    Yeah, I guess a long bolt with a "winged nut" would do the trick should they become weak :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
    So here I am ready to buy this tri-lite and it seems thay arent made any more.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    So here I am ready to buy this tri-lite and it seems thay arent made any more.

It would seem so.

Still, there are the:

Lastolite Trilite Speed-Lite Kit With Trilite Reflectors Stand and Boom
    http://www.amazon.com/Lastolite-Trilite-Speed-Lite-Reflectors-Stand/dp/B007BLPOUC/

Westcott Tri-Flector
    http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-2930-Tri-Flector/dp/B0010CGZJ2/

CowboyStudio Photo Studio 12-Inch Hand Hold Collapsible Disc, Tri-Fold Reflector and Gray Card / White Balance Digital Target Combo
    http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-12-Inch-Collapsible-Tri-Fold-Reflector/dp/B00AA5NVJC
    (This is a very cheap, hand-held device, which might be adapted for stand use.)

Interfit INT295 Portrait Reflector Kit (probably the least expensive replacement for the Lastolite Trilite)
    http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-INT295-Portrait-Reflector-Kit/dp/B0024NKHBI/
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    It would seem so.

http://www.amazon.com/Lastolite-Trilite-Speed-Lite-Reflectors-Stand/dp/B007BLPOUC/
    I HEARD BACK FROM LASTOLITE AS TO WHY THE CHANGED THIS PRODUCT: I think the package was changed because people wanted the included overhead arm to hold a softbox.

So annoying they would change this. I am borrowing a friend's tri-lite; the results are very nice.

I think he said he paid about $170. for it and the new contraption will be a lot more plus the soft box @ $349 free shipping.

Here are some images of the entire monstrocity from LASTOLITE.

I am concerned about how you aim the side panels back at the subject.

Not real excited about this new product.....
    image007.jpg
    image008.jpg
    image009.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    I will say that while I use my Trilite and it does give a nice quality of light (and I like the catchlights), it's not the Perfect Lighting Tool I had hoped for; it can slip, and the squeezy thingies are just as awkward to adjust as the hard plastic clips on my Interfit reflector stand/boom. The individual reflectors are excellent quality, however, and the bag/arms combo does make it convenient to carry around.

I use it often enough that I have kept it rather than selling it, but I think I've decided it's overpriced for what it is. You can get triflector arms from ebay/Cowboy etc and just clip your own reflectors in. A little heavier, and possibly more unwieldy, but for less than 50% the cost, a reasonable solution.

ETA I frequently use just two reflectors withmine (the third "side" being the actual light), so the sb holder would be a pain for me, and not worth any extra expense at all.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    I will say that while I use my Trilite and it does give a nice quality of light (and I like the catchlights), it's not the Perfect Lighting Tool I had hoped for; it can slip, and the squeezy thingies are just as awkward to adjust as the hard plastic clips on my Interfit reflector stand/boom. The individual reflectors are excellent quality, however, and the bag/arms combo does make it convenient to carry around.

I use it often enough that I have kept it rather than selling it, but I think I've decided it's overpriced for what it is. You can get triflector arms from ebay/Cowboy etc and just clip your own reflectors in. A little heavier, and possibly more unwieldy, but for less than 50% the cost, a reasonable solution.

ETA I frequently use just two reflectors withmine (the third "side" being the actual light), so the sb holder would be a pain for me, and not worth any extra expense at all.
    Hey Diva! I really wanted the tri-lite but as you see, the have D/C it. I am actually using ICE BEAR's tri-lite in the past and I have gotten some really awsome results-with one light-uh I always use a hair light...Anyway....

I put a lot of profit back into my business and this new LASTOLITE kit is %$#%^$#%^ expensive, but the out of the way boom for the soft box and the integral system for the reflector would be a good fit for location shoots if this contraptionlives up to the original tri-lite.

I like the original bracket which is infinitely adjustable and the rubber bumpers hold the individual reflectors where you want them. The brackets were cool because you could adjust the position up down back forward.....now it seems velcro plays a part..

I almost pulled the trigger and ordered it this afternoon but I wanted to see if anyone else has this thing. There was only one review on the B&H site and they didn't like it rather hated it...

So here I am.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    What is the cost of the new one (first cup of coffee - too lazy to use google lol)

The boom arm is cool, but the velcro strapping would make me kinda crazy. I often use the trilite with a kind of "modified clamshell" setup, that is off to the side instead of on axis as they have it shown; the boom/straps would just be in the way for me in that setup. I'm sure the rig they have created will have its uses but, as with the trilite itself, for me it wouldn't really work. Espsecially for added $. Doesn't mean I don't like the reflectors, just that it didn't turn out to be my go-to setup the way I thought it would. I will say that it is very helpful for getting a kind of "Peter Hurley" look (although he uses those ueberexpensive constant light units - Prophoto, maybe? - within the "box" of reflectors), but I only shoot that style some of the time.

Frankly, I STILL find myself using one light plus a big reflector for fill (these days, the foil side of a piece of insulation which cost me a whopping $11 at Lowes). The larger reflector creates beautiful fill, and the foil isn't as bright as the silver sides of dedicated reflectors.

All of which is rambling blahblah which doesn't help you with your purchase at all! rolleyes1.gif Blethering.............. :)
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    What is the cost of the new one (first cup of coffee - too lazy to use google lol)

It was the first link I gave:
    ... Still, there are the:

ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    QED. No coffee, no brain :lol
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    QED. No coffee, no brain :lol

No worries. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013

Frankly, I STILL find myself using one light plus a big reflector for fill (these days, the foil side of a piece of insulation which cost me a whopping $11 at Lowes). The larger reflector creates beautiful fill, and the foil isn't as bright as the silver sides of dedicated reflectors.

All of which is rambling blahblah which doesn't help you with your purchase at all! rolleyes1.gif Blethering.............. :)

The DIY gig is a wonderful way to save a little money but IMO I believe it hurts you in the long run . I think you never want to look like you weren't a pro because appearances are everything. Sure I could "rig" all this stuff but you look like Joe the crap rag man and his noisy snake oil rig...Laughing.gif.

But if i am going to drop some coin it needs to be proven and this product appears to be too new and unaccepted. The velcro straps already have me hesitating...

I have an impact stand / reflector holder that I have put a speedlight on with a counter weight to get this out of the way for this particular headshot.......

If this stupid reflector was like the original tri-lite i would have had this here already....

what a shame.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    The Westcott Tri-Flector is no longer listed on the Westcott site. Amazon only shows two in stock.

If it's the shape and finished appearance you're after, this looks like your last chance.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    The DIY gig is a wonderful way to save a little money but IMO I believe it hurts you in the long run . I think you never want to look like you weren't a pro because appearances are everything. Sure I could "rig" all this stuff but you look like Joe the crap rag man and his noisy snake oil rig...Laughing.gif.

True. But point in this particular situation is I HAVE the "pro-looking" piece of gear and use the ragman version because I prefer the quality of light it gives me :D

I might feel differently if I was a commercial or fashion photgrapher, but doing what I do, I've never had anybody question any of my gear, pro-looking or otherwise. YMMV :)
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2013
    I wrote LASTOLITE and talked about their new reflector system. There aren't any brick and mortar stores in the DC metro that stock this thing. I told them how the product has been out for 4-5 months or more and I can only find 1 review and they hated it. I can't imagine being able to get the side reflector just where you want them with the velcro straps. The velcro is also attached to the soft box which is equally limiting. by the lack of response here I am assuming not many if any have purchased this. Maybe I shouldn't have piggy backed this concern of mine on an existing thread. I like the idea but am totally paralyzed with concern to nearly blindly purchase this. I told them all of the above....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2013
    Have you searched around for a used one?

Alternatively, what about three of these (or similar) plus one of these (or similar)? Nothing ghetto about that as a set up.....
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2013
    I wrote the biggie at LASTOLITE and This response was CC'd to 3 other R/D folk. So this clears up what is about to happen:
    Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your letter and interest in Lastolite products. There are two versions of the TriLite product so this may add to the confusion.

1. The first product we offered is the TriLite MKII which comes with three reversible reflective panels, a bracket to hold the panels and angle them properly and a carry bag for the bits. This product still exists although Lastolite has recently changed the SKU number to LL LR2933 with the Silver/Sunfire panels or LL LR2933SW for the Silver/White Panels. This might be where some retailers might have said the product was sold out, but it’s just been a part number change. Many on-line retailers have yet to catch up on this number change but over the next week or two most of them should be on-board. There are no Velcro straps in this version of the product which Lastolite has offered for over 11 years.

2. The second product is called the TriLite Speed-Lite Kit and it’s designed for users on the go who need a boom stand for their Ezybox Hotshoe Softbox with speed light along with the reflective panels to help put the catch light in their subject eyes. This unit was not designed to work with studio lights (can’t support their weight) and uses Velcro straps to help angle the panels properly using the Ezybox Hotshoe attached at the top of the boom. It includes a light stand with boom, three reversible reflective panels, a bracket to hold the panels and anchor them to the light stand, long adjustable Velcro straps to adjust the angles and a carry bag for all the bits. Lastolite has offered this product for the last 3 years.

I believe you are interested in the standard TriLite MKII and if you use one of the numbers above you should be OK.

Remember, you’ll need a small light stand to mount the bracket with panels on it in order to complete your setup.

M. A.
    Product Manager

Well this is good.

I have 3 of these

and I am going to put the 24" EXBOX hotshoe on the end with a 580exII, flex tt5 to see if I can achieve the same thing. I will have to sand bag the base and put an ankle weight at the end of the boom.

I am releived that LASTOLITE hadn't lost their minds over there!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    I wrote the biggie at LASTOLITE and This response was CC'd to 3 other R/D folk. So this clears up what is about to happen:

1. The first product we offered is the TriLite MKII which comes with three reversible reflective panels, a bracket to hold the panels and angle them properly and a carry bag for the bits. This product still exists although Lastolite has recently changed the SKU number to LL LR2933 with the Silver/Sunfire panels or LL LR2933SW for the Silver/White Panels. This might be where some retailers might have said the product was sold out, but it’s just been a part number change. Many on-line retailers have yet to catch up on this number change but over the next week or two most of them should be on-board. There are no Velcro straps in this version of the product which Lastolite has offered for over 11 years.

I believe you are interested in the standard TriLite MKII and if you use one of the numbers above you should be OK.

Excellent news! clap.gif Good on you for investigating and following up here. thumb.gifthumb

Thanks,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    Excellent news! clap.gif Good on you for investigating and following up here. thumb.gifthumb

Thanks,

thumb.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    VDOT, you are one tenacious SOB. thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2013