D4 is announced

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited January 28, 2012 in Cameras
Finally the D4 is announced in Belgium and the Netherlands. The price is yet not known.
However the spec sheets are: http://www.nikon.nl/nl_NL/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d4.
It is in dutch, sorry...
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Finally the D4 is announced in Belgium and the Netherlands. The price is yet not known.
    However the spec sheets are: http://www.nikon.nl/nl_NL/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d4.
    It is in dutch, sorry...

Price is $5,999. Amazon had some preorders ones for sale. Preorder SOLD out already.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 6, 2012
    The US site is still not updated. The best current source for an English translated announcement is Nikon UK/Great Britain:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d4
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Love the dual slots, I wonder how fast that WT-5A will transfer images..I thought it might be more money also. PreOrder sold out, wonder how many that was?
    Gary
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Price is $5,999. Amazon had some preorders ones for sale. Preorder SOLD out already.

Wow, that is some money.. Strange how one part of the world has the specs but no price, while the other have a price but no official specs. $5999 would make 4760 Euro, I wonder if we will be able to buy them for that price. Rumors have it that the camera would cost 5850 Euro or $7500. Looks like room for some import business.
    edited January 6, 2012
    I cannot recommend Amazon as a reliable source for professional grade cameras. Pre-order at Amazon and you could be dealing with "anyone".

I can recommend the following (in the USA):

B&H
    Adorama
    Tallyn's
    Calumet

While not all allow pre-order, they are all, I believe, authorized retailers with excellent before sales and after sales service. (I have personally dealt with all except Tallyn's, but we have other users here to vouch for Tallyn's enough that I can recommend them.)
    ziggy53
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I've found Amazon's customer service to be incredible. They've gone above and beyond every time I've needed to contact them.

Now, I do agree that you need to pay careful attention to who the seller actually is. If it's Amazon you're in good shape. Often you have to look down at the "other buying choices" option.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    B&H says they will have stock for sale on Feb 16th.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Canon 1D X and Nikon D4. this is gonna be a pricey year for those who want to upgrade. But a fun one too!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I've found Amazon's customer service to be incredible. They've gone above and beyond every time I've needed to contact them.

Now, I do agree that you need to pay careful attention to who the seller actually is. If it's Amazon you're in good shape. Often you have to look down at the "other buying choices" option.

I agree. My favorite for camera items though is B&H. Their service and pricing is very good. If you are in NYC visit their store and take an empty credit card because it is an amazing place.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    We've pre-ordered a bunch of them :D This camera sounds amazing.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    edited January 6, 2012
    B&H says they will have stock for sale on Feb 16th.
    And at $5999.
    Gary
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    here is the D4 with the new WT-5 Wireless transmitter

Nikon-D4-WT-5-wireless-transmitter.jpg
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I cannot recommend Amazon as a reliable source for professional grade cameras. Pre-order at Amazon and you could be dealing with "anyone".

I don't think that is true. Some items are stocked, and sold by Amazon themselves. You just have to look at the seller details, which are readily available. I would buy from them...if it's from them.

Here are the specs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/nikon/announcements/new-nikon-d4-pro-dslr-camera
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Hilarious to watch all the D3s and D3x suddenly for sale on NikonCafe and Fred Miranda today. :)
    edited January 6, 2012
    IMO the new WT-5 is probably the most overpriced accessory Nikon ever foisted on us. That stupid thing's over $800. Sorry, I'll keep using my USB cord 'till some enterprising soul in the far east comes up with something for around $100. Don't tell me it can't be done. It already has been, by hobbiests.
    John :
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    IMO the new WT-5 is probably the most overpriced accessory Nikon ever foisted on us. That stupid thing's over $800. Sorry, I'll keep using my USB cord 'till some enterprising soul in the far east comes up with something for around $100. Don't tell me it can't be done. It already has been, by hobbiests.

but it will sell

and I bet you that plenty of Nikon shooters out there will up grade when they get the D4
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
    edited January 7, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I can recommend the following (in the USA):

B&H
    Adorama
    Tallyn's
    Calumet

While not all allow pre-order, they are all, I believe, authorized retailers with excellent before sales and after sales service. (I have personally dealt with all except Tallyn's, but we have other users here to vouch for Tallyn's enough that I can recommend them.)

Thanks a lot, I might even fly to NY (B&H) from Brussels (360 $ for a ticket). In Europe the camera sells for 7324 Dollar.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2012
    Calumet is taking pre-orders for the D4. I know because I placed an order.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 7, 2012
    Thanks a lot, I might even fly to NY (B&H) from Brussels (360 $ for a ticket). In Europe the camera sells for 7324 Dollar.
    No need to waste a ticket..you just need a friend in the states..mwink.gif
    Calumet is taking pre-orders for the D4. I know because I placed an order.
    Way to go Harry! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Did they say when delivery was expected?
    Gary
    edited January 7, 2012
    Wayupthere wrote: »

Way to go Harry! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Did they say when delivery was expected?
    Gary

Nope they expect their first order to be received around 2/16. I doubt if I'll be in that first order.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 8, 2012

Yes, however as soon as it is shipped the customs will charge me 21% TAX and 10% import TAX (31%) on it. If I take it with me together with my camera bag then the change of being stopped by the customs is near to nil. And even if I am stopped, I will show my Press Photographers card and the rest of the gear. Of course I should not take the box......Has worked fine in the past.

Just like we don't pay enough taxes already here headscratch.gif
    edited January 8, 2012
    Harry
    edited January 9, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »

Indeed that is crazy . As a hardware engineer (electronics) I am sure that I could build one for a fraction of the cost. After all it is just a USB to WIFI conversion with a FTP micro controller on it (client) for downloading the shots to a FTP server. For camera control like Camera Control Pro one would have to build a two way conversation with no need to understand the messages, just a replay will be needed.
    I might have a go at it, since there are so many micro controllers on the market. Working from the I-PAD will require an APP to be written. Maybe I can come-up with something but no promises.
    If it works I will post the diagrams here.
    edited January 9, 2012
    As a hardware engineer (electronics) I am sure that I could build one for a fraction of the cost
    D3Sshooter, You build the electronics, and I will machine the housings mwink.gif.
    I have been asked several times about this topic, but I dont have a grasp of the electronics involved headscratch.gif
    We will be rich :ivar
    Gary
    edited January 9, 2012
    And if I'm not your first customer, I'll be scrambling up his (her) back to be second. thumb.gif
    John :
    edited January 10, 2012
    D3Sshooter, You build the electronics, and I will machine the housings mwink.gif.
    I have been asked several times about this topic, but I dont have a grasp of the electronics involved headscratch.gif
    We will be rich :ivar
    Gary

Gary, this sounds like a plan,mwink.gif casing has always been a problem for me. I will start to explore some facts on the Nikon interface, I assume that it will be a USB type 1 or 2. Maybe on the D4 it might be a type 3. Note as well that the solution will not have encryption such as WASP and that it will not be FCC approved. It will use standard WIFI signals (g) in a point to point mode.
    edited January 10, 2012
    And if I'm not your first customer, I'll be scrambling up his (her) back to be second. thumb.gif
    wings.gifPractically fully funded :D
    casing has always been a problem for me
    Not a problem..we have the technology mwink.gifbow

15558345.th.jpg
    So many products like this are waaay overpriced. Definitely a market.
    Cant believe no one has asked for a Dgin discount yet deal.gif
    Gary
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. I love the video specs and plan to use it for both video and stills.
    Although I was thinking of getting the d800, I realized the low light ability is more important to me than the high megapixel count.
    edited January 10, 2012
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. I love the video specs and plan to use it for both video and stills.
    Although I was thinking of getting the d800, I realized the low light ability is more important to me than the high megapixel count.

Wow. Keep us posted, please. thumb.gif
    ziggy53