D4 is announced

2»

Comments

• borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    The buffer on this camera is certifiably insane. Drooling!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 10, 2012
    The buffer on this camera is certifiably insane. Drooling!

We have never lived in a better time, photographically speaking. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Looks cool, but I'm sticking with my two D3's for awhile. Why? Call me silly, but they're already paid for. lol
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 18, 2012
    My plan is to rent the D4 and 1Dx for a few days simultaneously from Borrowlenses and compare. I've shot Canon for years so I have all the lenses and I've stuck with Canon for the video, but I've have Nikon dynamic range and high ISO performance envy for awhile...
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Baldy,
    I knew a day would come where I would not check in at ADV..I knew when that day came I would handle it like a man..I was wrong..:cry
    Gary
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Baldy wrote: »
    My plan is to rent the D4 and 1Dx for a few days simultaneously from Borrowlenses and compare. I've shot Canon for years so I have all the lenses and I've stuck with Canon for the video, but I've have Nikon dynamic range and high ISO performance envy for awhile...

My bet is that Canon will actually come out on top, this generation. Nikon just caught them off guard with the whole D3 vs 1Ds 3 thing, Canon was happily playing the megapixel game and slacking off in the sheer performance department, and Nikon just went for broke at good 'ol 12 megapixels. (Basically, they were trying to out-do the Canon 5D mk1, a camera made in 2005...)

But in general as far as (digital) image quality is concerned, Canon has usually been ahead historically speaking. So I'm not holding my breath for this generation. The fact that the D4 only goes to 12,800 natively and the 1DX goes two stops higher, natively, is not very promising for Nikon. But either way, I'm sure the cameras will both rock, for those who don't have the cash to switch but maybe just barely enough cash to upgrade every now and then. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Hey Matt, do you ever plan on fooling around with video? I think that a good photographer wouldn't have a difficult time making the transition. When it comes to capturing a video image, as with stills photography, it's all about controlling light. The Nikon D4 looks to be a superlative DSLR video camera (as well as stills camera). From a video standpoint, it really undercuts the price for some better known video cameras. Hence, you are really getting two great cameras for the price of one (that's why the price is much less of an issue when looked on from that prospective). The fact that it is built like a tank with all types of weather sealing is icing on the cake. Video is such a great option and can really add to a photo shoot when you can capture some video to include with a wedding or portrait session.

I plan on really putting the camera to use this year and I can't wait to get my hands on it. As I mentioned before, the light capturing ability is more important to me than pixel counting (although 16 Mp is a great size). The video noise at 3200 iso is really low, much better than the Canon 5dm2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1Nd4zkF1c&context=C3af58a5ADOEgsToPDskK36k7TUrBfKcboELZ9YEdQ
    I also can't wait to hook it up to an external recorder to capture raw video. This will allow great tweaking and color correction with higher bitrate compression. What joy this is going to be to have great video and stills at the same time...wooo hooo
    Times are good!!
    Patrick
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Hey Matt, do you ever plan on fooling around with video? I think that a good photographer wouldn't have a difficult time making the transition. When it comes to capturing a video image, as with stills photography, it's all about controlling light. The Nikon D4 looks to be a superlative DSLR video camera (as well as stills camera). From a video standpoint, it really undercuts the price for some better known video cameras. Hence, you are really getting two great cameras for the price of one (that's why the price is much less of an issue when looked on from that prospective). The fact that it is built like a tank with all types of weather sealing is icing on the cake. Video is such a great option and can really add to a photo shoot when you can capture some video to include with a wedding or portrait session.

I plan on really putting the camera to use this year and I can't wait to get my hands on it. As I mentioned before, the light capturing ability is more important to me than pixel counting (although 16 Mp is a great size). The video noise at 3200 iso is really low, much better than the Canon 5dm2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1Nd4zkF1c&context=C3af58a5ADOEgsToPDskK36k7TUrBfKcboELZ9YEdQ
    I also can't wait to hook it up to an external recorder to capture raw video. This will allow great tweaking and color correction with higher bitrate compression. What joy this is going to be to have great video and stills at the same time...wooo hooo
    Times are good!!
    Patrick

Honestly Patrick, times are not really THAT good yet, and if they want to charge a price tag fitting for "two cameras in one" then I'm just gonna keep buying used D700's till kingdom come. I do dabble in video every now and then, but nothing more than my cell phone or point-and-shoot can't handle.

My only serious interest in video is in time lapse creation, which is something that I can do with a camera as old as a D200 and still get 1080p frames.

I'm glad that some people can afford a $6,000 camera these days; you'll keep Nikon afloat while I scrape by spending just a few hundred bucks this year on used gear or budget primes. In my wildest 2012 dreams, I'll make enough money to afford a $3K D800, and that's with me magically finding extra money to pay taxes and take a vacation FIRST.

(end bitterness) :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    In my wildest 2012 dreams, I'll make enough money to afford a $3K D800, and that's with me magically finding extra money to pay taxes and take a vacation FIRST.
    I may have to look those terms up..pay taxes..and even further unexplainable.. What is this "vacation" you speak of headscratch.gif

:D
    Seriously though if you make a living in this game then the cost is negligible anyway. Not to mention photography is such a cheap endeavor anyway. Compared to a lot of profesions you can buy the best equipment made for very few dollars. I payed more to unload my last machine than a D4 costs. :cry

I will never use the video, and would pay the same or more if it wasn't there. But its not a deal breaker. A lot of professional equipment comes with a ton of features that consumers never use. I see a bunch of uproar over the different slots..just use the one you want..rolleyes1.gif
    Things you would change, yes..deal breakers..no.
    YMMV rolleyes1.gif
    Gary
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, I might even fly to NY (B&H) from Brussels (360 $ for a ticket). In Europe the camera sells for 7324 Dollar.

€5929,- a bit more then change-rate €5929 = $ 7,838.73
    http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/productlist/40488/spiegelreflex.html?gclid=CMSDnZ-z860CFcGFDgod2nweuw#?brands=&types=&stock=&kw=9128-4E696B6F6E204434&pricerange=-&pager=0&sort=rel&items=20