Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #94 (Angles or Shapes)CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited January 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #94

Welcome to Round #94 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, January 9, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, January 23, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Angles or Shapes

JAG has chosen the theme for this round. A reminder that this is the last round to qualify for mega challenge #15 (starting on Jan 23)
Here are a few examples of both angles and shapes in photography

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    :D Love it... of course everything I look at for the next two weeks I will be seeing angles and shapes, now just to find the most interesting one!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Outstanding examples Sean - WOW!!!

Wonderful theme :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    This should be a fun topic! Looking forward to attempting it. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    New Dgrinner here saying hello!
    I've been lurking the Dgrin forums for several months, really enjoying the photos and the Dgrin community. This particular challenge topic prompted me to finally jump in and register. That, and my friend billseye kept telling me how fun and rewarding the Dgrin challenges are! I also really enjoy the Journeys and Landscape forums - so many amazing photographs and nice people. I look forward to participating in this wonderful community of photographers!
    Cheers, Eric
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    I've been lurking the Dgrin forums for several months, really enjoying the photos and the Dgrin community. This particular challenge topic prompted me to finally jump in and register. That, and my friend billseye kept telling me how fun and rewarding the Dgrin challenges are! I also really enjoy the Journeys and Landscape forums - so many amazing photographs and nice people. I look forward to participating in this wonderful community of photographers!
    Cheers, Eric

Welcome Eric! I am so happy you decided to get involved. Make sure you visit the third Sticky down called "The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS (DSS) Challenges (Quick links to all things official)" there is tons of information contained there. The people here are awesome! Help is just a quick post away. thumb.gif
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    New Dgrinner .... my friend billseye kept telling me how fun and rewarding the Dgrin challenges are! I also really enjoy the Journeys and Landscape forums - so many amazing photographs and nice people. I look forward to participating in this wonderful community of photographers!
    Cheers, Eric

Yo Earache! What a pleasant surprise to see your post. Welcome to the DGrin Challenges - can't wait to see what you bring to the fray...

Hmmm... Old Town may have some prime candidates for Angles or Shapes. You gonna be there on the 14th?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks so much for the greeting and the info Sean - I'll study up!

Hi Bill! Going to Leo Carrillo Ranch on the 14th with SDdSLR
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Welcome Eric!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    AzgardAzgard Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Welcome!

Also looking forward to this theme. :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 11, 2012
    Cheers, Eric

Welcome Eric! Your going to have fun here!thumb.gif
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Cheers, Eric

It's good to meet you Eric. I look forward to learning from you. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for the greetings - I appreciate the warm welcome!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    jberenbajberenba Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Dumb luck that I found this today...
    I randomly was touring looking for such a picture in the city of Boston. Glad this one popped out at me. It's up in the gallery already...phew, glad i made it....jk
    Critiques always wanted and accepted.
    Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
    Joel Berenbaum
    http://joelberenbaum.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    jberenba wrote: »
    I randomly was touring looking for such a picture in the city of Boston. Glad this one popped out at me. It's up in the gallery already...phew, glad i made it....jk

Joel... Welcome to the Dgrin Challenges! I saw your photo in the gallery... You'll need to follow the challenge rules for it to be eligible. The caption in the gallery needs to be your username and a title. Take a look at Jenn's photo just before yours in the gallery.

Here's a link to the official rules. It's worth your time to read over them thumb.gif
    Bill Banning

• Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Thanks. I blew it. Jsut didn't finish that section this time... still pretty new at this... Thanks again..
    joel

billseye wrote: »
    Joel... Welcome to the Dgrin Challenges! I saw your photo in the gallery... You'll need to follow the challenge rules for it to be eligible. The caption in the gallery needs to be your username and a title. Take a look at Jenn's photo just before yours in the gallery.

Here's a link to the official rules. It's worth your time to read over them thumb.gif
    Joel Berenbaum
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    jberenba, you did not blow it. Just log in again and update the information. Let us know if you need further help.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Nice image jberenba! You may want to also include a link to the exif data for your image. Currently, only the "Date Modified" is showing. The "Date Taken" must also display or you risk being disqualified since only images taken during the challenge period are eligible. Here's a link to explain how to do this: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

Welcome to dGrin btw!

Sherry
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    ok..thanks but i still need to learn more here.
    So, this is an HDR and I 2 photos to make it. I took them all the day I posted it, but how do i synchronize the 'dates taken' to the image if the actual image is modified? I'm gonna research that one. But thanks everyone for the kindness.

slpollett wrote: »
    Nice image jberenba! You may want to also include a link to the exif data for your image. Currently, only the "Date Modified" is showing. The "Date Taken" must also display or you risk being disqualified since only images taken during the challenge period are eligible. Here's a link to explain how to do this: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

Welcome to dGrin btw!

Sherry
    Joel Berenbaum
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Alright
    Ok, I think I got it, just as long as the title of the image can contain the 'EXIF' next to my dgrinner name and title.

Thanks for all the help.

So, this is an HDR and I 2 photos to make it. I took them all the day I posted it, but how do i synchronize the 'dates taken' to the image if the actual image is modified? I'm gonna research that one. But thanks everyone for the kindness.
    Joel Berenbaum
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Ok, I think I got it, just as long as the title of the image can contain the 'EXIF' next to my dgrinner name and title.

Thanks for all the help.

You exif link is not showing anything for me. Just a blank page. Another way to link would be placing the photos in their own gallery then linking the gallery itself. We can then find the exifs that way.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2012

Thanks for all the help.

Except that the link you provided is bringing me right back to the entry gallery. It needs to provide a link back to where your original photos are located and showing the EXIF on them.

For instance, If I wanted to link back to my photo entered in the last challenge (located in a gallery on my smugmug), I would have it like this:

dnie - Aged and weathered
    <a href="http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Contests/Dgrin-Challenges/DSS-93-Old-or-New/20954130_7QvNVz#!i=1665872985&k=MnLch9J&lb=1&s=A&quot; target="_blank">EXIF</a>

Sean gives the instruction here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609, including a copy and paste code. There are also instructions on how to get the url to your EXIF data.

** edit... whoops, just saw were you addressed that Joyce. Sorry, didn't see it before I posted.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Except that the link you provided is bringing me right back to the entry gallery. It needs to provide a link back to where your original photos are located and showing the EXIF on them.

For instance, If I wanted to link back to my photo entered in the last challenge (located in a gallery on my smugmug), I would have it like this:

dnie - Aged and weathered
    EXIF

Sean gives the instruction here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609, including a copy and paste code. There are also instructions on how to get the url to your EXIF data.

** edit... whoops, just saw were you addressed that Joyce. Sorry, didn't see it before I posted.

Actually Donna, last night when I replied I had hunted for this link but couldn't find it. Thanks for finding it and posting!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Thank you everyone who has helped jberenba,

The link that was in the caption was only missing the " (quotes) around the link in the code.
    I have fixed the EXIF link and it now displays correctly.

Resolved = we now have the correct info and the image is eligible for the round.

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    seconded!
    again, thanks all!
    sherstone wrote: »
    Thank you everyone who has helped jberenba,

The link that was in the caption was only missing the " (quotes) around the link in the code.
    I have fixed the EXIF link and it now displays correctly.

Resolved = we now have the correct info and the image is eligible for the round.

clap.gif
    Joel Berenbaum
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    awesomeness! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    I find this first of Joyce's challenge themes to be quite interesting - especially related to what is or isn't on theme. The funny thing is.. almost every photo I can imagine is really made up of shapes and angles. It's a particularly interesting challenge topic since we all seem to have pre-dispositions about what comprises shapes or angles.

Just sayin'... great start to the theme choices Joyce!
    Bill Banning

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I agree. Not a challenging theme to judge, but a challenging theme to guess how everyone else will judge. Even Sean's own examples (purposefully, I'm sure) go from subtle shapes in natures to blatant geometric abstracts. Should be fun to review the gallery...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Maybe its the art teacher in me coming out! I taught high school art in a small christian school for a spell and you might see other lessons in the future too. I see photography as an art medium and like to explore different compositions. I am glad you are finding this fun and interesting!
  • Options
    meanfishmeanfish Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Longtime lurker, first time poster. This challenge is right up the alley of some new shots I've been working on.

Posted to the gallery already, but had some issues with IE (kept telling me it was too large). Posted to the gallery with firefox and it worked fine. However, the firefox post was one of the small images. Any recommendation on whether I should post a higher res pic?
    Entry is here:
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-94/20968776_3qQM73#!i=1675754457&k=f6DR5KB

Thanks!
    Josh
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    meanfish wrote: »
    Longtime lurker, first time poster. This challenge is right up the alley of some new shots I've been working on.

Posted to the gallery already, but had some issues with IE (kept telling me it was too large). Posted to the gallery with firefox and it worked fine. However, the firefox post was one of the small images. Any recommendation on whether I should post a higher res pic?
    Entry is here:
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-94/20968776_3qQM73#!i=1675754457&k=f6DR5KB

Thanks!
    Josh

I think the resolution looks fine! No printing going on here. Just viewing on a screen, thus higher resolution is not necessary if it can be viewed fine in x large.thumb.gif