• Options
    doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    my first entry

6738944529_c4938afae8_z.jpg
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Hi! Another new DGrinner in the challenges. Great theme and posts!

1. Marching To The Same Drummer
    i-JCRKxdj-XL.jpg

2. Alone In The Crowd
    i-mqGQNTC-XL.jpg

3. The Wave
    i-WMhd9SP-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Patti yours should be 1st 2nd & 3rd great shots lots of emotion and NO CAPTION --they need none thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited January 23, 2012
    Great theme and great entries. clap.gif

Here's one I caught about a month ago--that's OK in mini-challenges, right?

i-53fbzwR-XL.jpg
  • Options
    SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    1. Charleston Harbor Sailing

2. All For One

3. Smiles Before The Horn
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited January 23, 2012
    1. Fun with Bubbles (Kenya)
    i-ckQg9Kg-L.jpg

2. Enjoying the Swing (India)
    i-Qq6VxSc-L.jpg

3. Baptism of a Boy (Ivory Coast)
    i-n52hMRD-L.jpg
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    I have decided to single out one photo from each thread to give my thoughts/reactions to the photos that were posted. In order of the posts:

Ghinson
    Big brother rule – Big brother is proud to show off his cool toy. The look on the younger brother is absolutely perfect…

Froch
    1 – “Funny People” take on the theme is very well composed and brought a big smile to my face. Wonderfully composed shot, but lacking in emotional impact.

PedalGirl
    Who Says Men Don’t Show Affection – What a blast of a shot! I can see the one planting the kiss doing it to totally get the reaction he did from the other while everyone else is laughing at the interplay (including you!)

Chandlerja
    Cousins – cousins are treasures – usually more fun than siblings and seen at happy family occasions. You have captured both cousins and the joy of childhood here.

Zoomn
    That’s wet – like the mother’s gaze at the child (who is exhibiting the falling reflex). Just wish the guy was gazing at the child, too.

KevXman
    Consiglio Cittadina – Love the gathering of the “Ladie’s Club”. Wish all had crossed their legs, but clarify for me if the next to the far right one has crossed legs or put her shoes on backward…

Bendr
    Nice feel to the father/daughter shot. The expression of the girl adds so much to this shot.

Rbustraen
    Grade 12 graduation with granny… -- Love the connection between the two generations. Granny is having a great time with her granddaughter. Maybe would push the brightness up some.

Clickin girl
    My reason for living – the love comes through loud and clear in what I assume is a self-portrait

TonyCooper
    Sharing – Captured a fun and messy moment

MarkR
    Nom – I am a sucker for daughter/mother shots. Love the child’s enthusiasm here.

Redleash
    Mutual support – all three shots are from the backsides of the people, but this one works so well. Composition is so well done with the hand, the t-shirt for context, and the other runners supporting the high five.

Photo-funtasia
    After work hours – Guys hanging out at the end of the day with a comfort level found among long time friends. Love the feel of this shot.

Wlpearce
    Father and daughter – I really like the total comfort expressed by the girl and how she is just draped over the father.
    “Relay” also captures the main subject so well.

Doingcool
    The first dancing shot is so fun. The dancers and the audience are having a wonderful time together.

Lizard_nyc
    A race – What a fun time with friends/cousins/siblings… I love the expression of the girls and the difficulties of the boys, who are having a blast, too.

Davev
    Getting some support – This is a great shot of The President making a speech and the warm reaction of most of the crowd. I love the composition with him being in the plane of focus and the crowds being just the right amount out of focus.

Bbjones
    Tiny feet – Shot made special with the ring and the bandaid.

Slpollett
    Best friends – a well done but “clichéd shot” of two friends. I like the synchrony of their step and coordinated hat color.

Patti
    The second shot has a strong emotional impact. I interpret it (without a strong certainty) of a concerned and loving father counseling his son through a difficult situation, but it is ambiguous enough that I can be completely wrong.

Billseye
    Street Fair Marsupial – Love the hint of the child and mother facing the same direction. But what makes this shot special is the monkey backpack/leash with the second child.

Stueve shots
    Getting a lift – What an expression of pure joy and fun on the child’s face as she is being lifted (to dunk?). Processing seems to be just a tad flat for the emotion expressed.

Kdotaylor
    Love – You have captured the “Look of Love” perfectly!

Bexwhite
    Welcome to the Mini-Challenges! I like the gaze of the grandparents, especially grandfather. The processing could use a little more contrast.

Doob
    Welcome, too! Like the composition with the scenery and the father snapping the kids. Might have preferred faces for this shot.

Earache
    And another welcome!
    Marching to the Same Drummer is very well done with the repetition. Interesting that one sole in each line is red. Strong compositional entry, but lacking an emotional punch.

Jhefti
    There is a connection in this shot that is unsettling: There is a conflict between their closeness and the caretaker being engaged with her electronics.

Richard
    I like the moment captured of the kiss and the older woman’s expression receiving it. It looked to be serious, so I looked up “Desayunos” and feared the worst until I figured it translates to “breakfast”.

Sambalam
    Charleston Harbor Sailing – It looks to me like a gathering of the “1%” on an outing. What strikes me here is that they actually seem more disconnected than connected with each other.

Sapphire73
    Baptism of a boy – I really like the feel of this with the somberness/seriousness of the boy and the love exuded by the father making a strong triangle with the pastor/minister (?).

Okay. The narrowing down within each post and then trying to separate out “winners” is both pleasurable and incredibly difficult. Judging is mine alone, but if I err, then the blame lays elsewhere…

Honorable Mentions:

Kdotaylor
    Photo-funtasia
    Redleash
    Chandlerja
    PedalGirl
    Ghinson

3rd Place: davev -- this is such a well done political shot with warmth being exuded by the crowd. Perhaps best political photo that I have seen.

2nd Place: Patti (if Liz is unable to carry out the next MC, then you...). There is such a strong emotional impact shown with ambiguity complementing it.

1st Place: Lizzard_nyc – I am a sucker for joy/play/fun in children. This one had the added benefit of being decently processed and well composed with the parallel and repetitive lines between the children, the background people, the wall, and the buildings.

Congratulations! I eagerly await your mini-challenge!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Congrats, Liz!! And thanks to Rainbow both for the HM and for such a terrific challenge--well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Congrats Liz! Great pics everyone! Rainbow, I am so glad I did not have to choose! Well done!
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »

3rd Place: davev -- this is such a well done political shot with warmth being exuded by the crowd. Perhaps best political photo that I have seen.

Thanks rainbow.

Congrat's to the winners.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Congrats Liz! Thanks for the kind words rainbow. I won't tell you the truth about my photo. ;0)
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography