Options

*ENTRY* Thread MEGA ROUND #15 (Album Cover SP) CLOSED

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 6, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters MEGA-Challenge #15

Welcome to MEGA Round #15 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to only those that are listed plus the top 5 of DSS #94.

jwear
torrbrae
WhatSheSaw
sapphire73
Froch
silversx80
Johnloguk
cbbr
sweetharmony
tinamarie52
MJRPhoto
TroyRamond
Jeffro
kdotaylor
indiegirl
Endurodog
ghinson
Jenn
PedalGirl
Vandana
NelsonK
Chandlerja
fjcvisual

It will run from Monday, January 23, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, February 6, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Album Cover SP (self portrait)

Whether you're a musician or not, make an album cover starring YOU! The cover can have more than just you in it if you want to assemble a 'band' or something, but you do have to be in the image yourself. This means you get to work with your cameras timer! Label your album cover with a title of one or two words that describe you. This is a self portrait and you're a star!

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    How'd you know that the reason I love photography is that I'm always the picture taker and never the subject?? This is gonna take a lot of Photoshop work! rolleyes1.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Well at least I won't have to worry about finding a model. :D
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    We will be like the great explorers....unchartered territory for me, at least.......
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    What an awesome idea for a topic! Wish I had more time in my life right now to participate again, I miss the challenges :cry, and even though this is only for the qualifiers, (congrats to all of them!), I may just have to lose some sleep so I can play with this topic for fun!!!Can't wait to see the entries, good luck everyone!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Was just looking through a gallery of top 100 album covers of all-time (google it) and just have to chuckle when I picture myself in some of those scenes. If I were to put on tight jeans and a white T and stand in front of a flag with my butt to the camera, red hat sticking out of the pocket (Born in the USA), I'm afraid people would have a hard time telling the theme apart from some horror-related theme.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Holy crap...............talk about being out of one's element.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Yikes...This one frightens me!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    This is awesome!
    I can't wait to see the entries.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    This is going to be a fun one! I might even do one myself just for the fun of it!!

Jeffro and kdotaylor, this is why they call it a 'challenge'!
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Great idea!!! Should be fun, thanks guys for making us all think.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    Was just looking through a gallery of top 100 album covers of all-time (google it) and just have to chuckle when I picture myself in some of those scenes. If I were to put on tight jeans and a white T and stand in front of a flag with my butt to the camera, red hat sticking out of the pocket (Born in the USA), I'm afraid people would have a hard time telling the theme apart from some horror-related theme.

Great idea to google the best Album covers... definitely a great start to some inspiration.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    This is going to be a fun one! I might even do one myself just for the fun of it!!

Jeffro and kdotaylor, this is why they call it a 'challenge'!

Oh, I know.....and this one will be that. It got me to thinking immediately. headscratch.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    hmmmm ... I'm having trouble taking photos of an African Violet bloom (lighting) .. how am I going to take my own photo? eek7.gif HA! Laughing.gif oh well ... everything here is a challenge for me... why should this one be easy? :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    JAG, just so I'm understanding this correctly... we would design this as if it were an actual album correct? So, titles and graphics applied directly to the photo is allowed and encouraged?
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Hmmm... good thing I get the stitches out of my head tomorrow. :D

The topic reminds me of this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4J1aoaoDI

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    That video was just so WRONG!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    JAG, just so I'm understanding this correctly... we would design this as if it were an actual album correct? So, titles and graphics applied directly to the photo is allowed and encouraged?

Like all challenges, you have to create everything. So if you want to add a texture layer, then take a picture of a surface with the texture of what you want and make sure you load it in a gallery and give a link to the exif to that image in the challenge gallery. Any picture tubes you might use or any image at all, needs to originate within the challenge time frame, made by you and follow the rules.

The text is the only thing you do not have to make by scratch. Text added to the image can be from any editor program.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    That video was just so WRONG!! rolleyes1.gif

HaHa...who could've ever guessed this would evolve?
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    question about focus
    I haven't tried any self-portraits before, and have a stupid question: how do you get the camera to focus on you before you get into the picture?
    Kate
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I haven't tried any self-portraits before, and have a stupid question: how do you get the camera to focus on you before you get into the picture?

There are likely many ways, but this way is tried and true.
    Get a giant stuffed animal (I prefer a pinguin) set it up where you are going to be, put your camera on self timer, focus, hit the shutter, run to the pinguin and in one swift motion send the sucker flying out of range of the shot and put yourself in its place, collect yourself, pose. Works everytime.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    There are likely many ways, but this way is tried and true.
    Get a giant stuffed animal (I prefer a pinguin) set it up where you are going to be, put your camera on self timer, focus, hit the shutter, run to the pinguin and in one swift motion send the sucker flying out of range of the shot and put yourself in its place, collect yourself, pose. Works everytime.

Ha! Great idea...will give it a go.
    Kate
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    The stuffed animal solution is not only very good. I can see in my head images of stuffed toys flying across the room, quite funny!

Another way is to use the reverse. Since you will likely have the camera on a tripod when taking the photo. Mark the position where you will sitting or standing, take the camera off the tripod and position yourself where you will be, then focus on the tripod head. Lock focus and put the camera back on the tripod and release the self timer. Run back to your mark. :joy
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    I usually use my daughter as a focus point, don't have to throw her! :D
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    The stuffed animal solution is not only very good. I can see in my head images of stuffed toys flying across the room, quite funny!

Another way is to use the reverse. Since you will likely have the camera on a tripod when taking the photo. Mark the position where you will sitting or standing, take the camera off the tripod and position yourself where you will be, then focus on the tripod head. Lock focus and put the camera back on the tripod and release the self timer. Run back to your mark. :joy

Excellent! Now I won't have to go penguin shopping.
    Kate
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Excellent! Now I won't have to go penguin shopping.

lol--I said pinguin:)
    Anyone else suffering from a massive deterioration in their spelling since the ever increasing reliance on spellcheck (of which there isn't any on dgrin)?
    Swear I'm nervous hitting the reply button here for fear of how many words I have not spelled correctly. Sad.

Kdotaylor--I would go with the penguin, there is something gratifying about punting it across a room.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    I only have a maximum 10 sec timer to get from my camera and in position. At least half of the shots I had to delete because I wasn't IN position yet when it went "CLICK"! I feel like I was getting my weekly workout jumping back and forth. If I can get anything it's going to be a total MIRACLE with my camera! Laughing.gif I don't have a 'lock focus' button.. for that matter .. it might be a good thing if I can't because I'm not all that photogenic to begin with. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Autofocus and prayer?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I only have a maximum 10 sec timer to get from my camera and in position. At least half of the shots I had to delete because I wasn't IN position yet when it went "CLICK"! I feel like I was getting my weekly workout jumping back and forth. If I can get anything it's going to be a total MIRACLE with my camera! Laughing.gif I don't have a 'lock focus' button.. for that matter .. it might be a good thing if I can't because I'm not all that photogenic to begin with. :)

But you have a manual focus on there somewhere. Same difference. Manually focus and then run. :) That's how we do our Christmas picture each year. It takes a a few tries before I get to the right spot and "posed". But it always makes for a few laughs.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    Autofocus and prayer?
    Looks that way.
    dnie wrote: »
    But you have a manual focus on there somewhere. Same difference. Manually focus and then run. :) That's how we do our Christmas picture each year. It takes a a few tries before I get to the right spot and "posed". But it always makes for a few laughs.
    Manual focus? umm I push the shutter down half way .. it focuses like that.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    I sense a rush on remote triggers about to take place.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net