Options

*ENTRY* Thread MEGA ROUND #15 (Album Cover SP) CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    Manual focus? umm I push the shutter down half way .. it focuses like that.

Sorry, I could have sworn you had a manual setting. But I just looked through the manual...
    I would experiment with some of the scene settings. You seem to have a good variety of those. Or maybe think of having something next to you in the picture so you can focus on it and then do the timer. :) Think creatively, I bet there is a way to make it work.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Another option that might be especially handy if you don't have a manual focus on the camera: use a mirror......some of these images are pretty nifty.
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I haven't tried any self-portraits before, and have a stupid question: how do you get the camera to focus on you before you get into the picture?

I actually do most of my self portraits one handed, just holding the camera and pointing it at myself so it focuses itself as normal. But I suspect most people use a tripod with a remote or self timer rolleyes1.gif

If you use a wide aperture a narrow point of focus isn't an issue, but you can always set everything up and focus on something that is a similar distance from the camera as you will be when you're in place.

I find the hardest thing is just being in front of the came rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    I'm desperate not to fall foul of the rules here so apologies if this seems a pedantic question. You say "label your album cover with a title of one or two words that describe you", so if we use more than 2 words are we wrong? If we're designing an album cover wouldn't our name be on there, as well as an album title? I have lots of ideas, but most are three words or more
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 26, 2012
    johnloguk wrote: »
    I'm desperate not to fall foul of the rules here so apologies if this seems a pedantic question. You say "label your album cover with a title of one or two words that describe you", so if we use more than 2 words are we wrong? If we're designing an album cover wouldn't our name be on there, as well as an album title? I have lots of ideas, but most are three words or more

Its ok to put your name on there. The point of 1 to 2 words 'describing' you is basically trying tie the cover name to your personality. Its not going to be an issue if you use three words. I also don't want covers with just your name on it. The description words are important as the image itself.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    OK, just to be difficult, do we have to use 1-2 descriptive words on the actual photograph? Certainly a lot of albums have nothing but art on the front and the group name and album title just on the spine (which could be the equivalent of our caption).

I'm not certain what I am doing yet, but the first idea that popped in to my head was not going to have any graphics. Only the photograph.

But now I go back and re-read the challenge and your response above and it sounds like you want this to be truly autophotographical (new word, write it down, you heard it here first), i.e., you want it to be a self-portrait done in the style of an album cover that actually, honestly reflects who we are. Right? Wrong? (Can you tell I'm confused?)

The graphic that I had in mind really also wasn't going to reflect my actual personality. (This probably is because I do not have the type of personality that would ever actually have an album cover.) So I was going to role play. So, does it have to be a real self-portrait, meaning I cannot dress up like Lady Gaga and pretend to be something I am not?

Darn.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    OK, just to be difficult, do we have to use 1-2 descriptive words on the actual photograph? Certainly a lot of albums have nothing but art on the front and the group name and album title just on the spine (which could be the equivalent of our caption).

I'm not certain what I am doing yet, but the first idea that popped in to my head was not going to have any graphics. Only the photograph.

But now I go back and re-read the challenge and your response above and it sounds like you want this to be truly autophotographical (new word, write it down, you heard it here first), i.e., you want it to be a self-portrait done in the style of an album cover that actually, honestly reflects who we are. Right? Wrong? (Can you tell I'm confused?)

The graphic that I had in mind really also wasn't going to reflect my actual personality. (This probably is because I do not have the type of personality that would ever actually have an album cover.) So I was going to role play. So, does it have to be a real self-portrait, meaning I cannot dress up like Lady Gaga and pretend to be something I am not?

Darn.

Why do you want to make it difficult when it really isn't? The instructions were clear.... ".. Label your album cover with a title of one or two words that describe you. This is a self portrait and you're a star!"

If you normally have a personality to portrait yourself as someone your not, then go for it and put 1 or 2 words to describe that. There are not spines on these covers since they are just images of the front cover. So make the text part of the image by being creative with it. Its not rocket science!deal.gif
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012

autophotographical (new word, write it down, you heard it here first)

Great word, Greg! I like it.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    If you normally have a personality to portrait yourself as someone your not, then go for it and put 1 or 2 words to describe that.

OK. Lady Gaga it is...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Its ok to put your name on there. The point of 1 to 2 words 'describing' you is basically trying tie the cover name to your personality. Its not going to be an issue if you use three words. I also don't want covers with just your name on it. The description words are important as the image itself.thumb.gif

Thanks Joyce that's great, I was hoping that was how you were thinking, just wanted to check it out before I went too far down the wrong track :D
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    OK. Lady Gaga it is...

This I gotta see!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I'm laughing and crying at the same time. This will be very fun.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Really sorry to be pedantic: the self portrait does not have to include our face, does it? We can choose the form of self-portrait expression, right?
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    OK. Lady Gaga it is...

Oh boy...:D
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    OK. Lady Gaga it is...

Knowing your line of work and LG recent videos, makes me very curious as to the final result on this one. :lurk
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    Knowing your line of work and LG recent videos, makes me very curious as to the final result on this one. :lurk

Now I'm curious .. what line of work is he in? I thought he was a photographer? headscratch.gif .. hmmm went to investigate and he's a Dr? :D boy did I get that wrong! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    This is my rendition of what I came up with for this just for the fun of doing it. I had to think about what at the moment really describes me in more ways then one and Challenged came to mind. I puposefully made this to look eerie. The noise, the black and white and red, all make for an almost spooky effect, but actually describes the mood of challenges I face from day to day being disabled, plus now I challenge you! Kinda puts it out there huh? Having to portrait yourself as you really are, is very scary!

challenged-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    I like the color combinations, and especially the font you used.

... I've been working on my own Album cover, and I'm taking my time with it. I've got two versions of it at the moment and look at it about once a day. It's funny that I didn't think I could get anything useful from a set of shots I took, but I found one image that just drew me to it. Now, I'm in creative/editor mode. Laughing.gif I've added one layer of something and just studied if for an entire evening to see if I like it and how I should adjust it. My next issue is picking the right font and how to present it. Sometimes, when I do image edits like this it can take me a while just to pick the right font since that one detail can make the mood of the image.

I also went and viewed something like the top 100 album covers of all time on google and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to pose naked or put drug paraphenalia on it or demons, either! Laughing.gif So, I thought I'd mention that in case someone is looking for that kind of stuff. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously .. who designed some of those past album covers anyway?

This is my rendition of what I came up with for this just for the fun of doing it. I had to think about what at the moment really describes me in more ways then one and Challenged came to mind. I puposefully made this to look eerie. The noise, the black and white and red, all make for an almost spooky effect, but actually describes the mood of challenges I face from day to day being disabled, plus now I challenge you! Kinda puts it out there huh? Having to portrait yourself as you really are, is very scary!

challenged-200x200.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I like the color combinations, and especially the font you used.

... I've been working on my own Album cover, and I'm taking my time with it. I've got two versions of it at the moment and look at it about once a day. It's funny that I didn't think I could get anything useful from a set of shots I took, but I found one image that just drew me to it. Now, I'm in creative/editor mode. Laughing.gif I've added one layer of something and just studied if for an entire evening to see if I like it and how I should adjust it. My next issue is picking the right font and how to present it. Sometimes, when I do image edits like this it can take me a while just to pick the right font since that one detail can make the mood of the image.

I also went and viewed something like the top 100 album covers of all time on google and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to pose naked or put drug paraphenalia on it or demons, either! Laughing.gif So, I thought I'd mention that in case someone is looking for that kind of stuff. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously .. who designed some of those past album covers anyway?

Its going to be fun to see what people come up with! Now the thing is...I would probably come up with something totally different if I was to shoot again. One moment I can feel dark and another I can feel light and airy. So it can change at a moments notice.

There are alot of stuff out there that is really freaky. You can see the progression of society's decline in morality through the album covers through the years.eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    There are alot of stuff out there that is really freaky. You can see the progression of society's decline in morality through the album covers through the years.eek7.gif

Isn't THAT the truth!! eek7.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2012
    Its going to be fun to see what people come up with! Now the thing is...I would probably come up with something totally different if I was to shoot again. One moment I can feel dark and another I can feel light and airy. So it can change at a moments notice.

I've just posted my entry to stop me thinking anymore and changing my mind clap.gif

I know exactly what you mean Joyce when you say you'd come up with something different if you shot again, I know I would! My passion is night photography, so on these dark nights I love being out and about with my camera while everyone else is tucked up warm at home. But I have the attention span of a gnat, so if I hadn't posted my entry I would have tinkered and tampered with it right up to the deadline. Mind you, there's nothing to say I still won't rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Mine is up. Hope all of you like it.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    I have about a half a dozen ideas and I may shoot them all just for the fun of it. wings.gif
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Because of no editing restrictions, could a photoshop brush be used to create fog or smoke?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    Because of no editing restrictions, could a photoshop brush be used to create fog or smoke?

You answered your own questions!clap.gif go for it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    I just submitted my Album cover (SP) ... :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    I just changed my entry, I knew I couldn't stop tinkering with it. I thought it needed a bit more punch, now I've got to try and leave it alone for a while! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    OK. Mine's up. And let me just apologize upfront that it is NOT Lady Gaga. Sorry.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    johnloguk wrote: »
    I just changed my entry, I knew I couldn't stop tinkering with it. I thought it needed a bit more punch, now I've got to try and leave it alone for a while! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes

I like what you did with it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    OK. Mine's up. And let me just apologize upfront that it is NOT Lady Gaga. Sorry.

Aw, too bad. Those are wicked catchlights in your eyes.