gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Thanks for all the work Harry and Andy, apreciated thumb.gif
    Thanks for the votes too :D

Excellent challenge!!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Thanks for your time and critique, Andy. thumb.gif The more brutal the better, IMHO!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thank you Andy for taking the time to run the challenge and to critique the entries. Can't thank you enough. Also thanks to Harry for helping out.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    from andy: i'm really digging the detail you got in the shadows foreground. a range of tonality that many folks would mis-expose. the colors of the sky are simply gorgeous, as are the sinuous curves of the mountains. a wall-hanger for sure, you should print this big snappy and enjoy it!

from harry:
    I loved the colors in the sky and the lines of the mountains. Having just a bit of the sun peeking out is very effective. A good entry.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    from andy: eric, i like the concept. definite lines and curves. i'm not gaga over the composition though, and the subject matter isn't warhol-y enough to make me go WOW. good execution though :D

from harry: This is a shot that just didn't have any impact for me. Everything is fine except for the composition.
    Ok, so how would you have done it? Its hard to learn from "i'm not gaga" (I'm not being a sore loser either, i'd just really like to start learning from my own mistakes rather than other people's successes on this forum). I shot that little car from every angle I could think of. Even when I was up on that rickety ladder, I turned the camera through every little angle I could get.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    PS. as always, you rock for taking your time to help us hacks improve in the art.
    Erik

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ok, so how would you have done it? Its hard to learn from "i'm not gaga" (I'm not being a sore loser either, i'd just really like to start learning from my own mistakes rather than other people's successes on this forum). I shot that little car from every angle I could think of. Even when I was up on that rickety ladder, I turned the camera through every little angle I could get.
    Good point Erik. Its hard for me to say how I would have shot the pic not having been at the spot at the same moment you were there. I think you did a good job with what you had. The problem is that what you had just wasn't exciting to me. I might have gone for a tighter crop, the large open space right below the car bothered me.

Your technique on the shot was fine. The subject just didn't excite me. This is all quite subjective now. I have taken lots of shots that I liked and everyone else went ho-hum. They key here is to please yourself. If you're happy with the shot then its a good shot.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    from andy: ginette, this is a great setup shot - i really like the lighting, the colors and the strong and subtle lines evident in this photograph. i can see a lot of work went into this, and it shows. well done :D

from harry: Loved the lighting on this shot. The composition was near perfect and the shadows a fine touch. You can see the care and thought that went into this shot. Good work.
    Andy & Harry:

I appreciate the time taken to digest and critique the entries in this challenge. It was a tough challenge for me, as little I saw in "nature" really captured the feel of what I was looking for. Really didn't set out to do a "set-up" shot. But the light coming through our bedroom window was filtering just so through one mis-adjusted blind (complements two kittens) and I couldn't resist playing for the twenty minutes that the sun was just right.

So thank you for your kind words... Feels warm, that's nice.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    from Harry: My only problem with this shot is that I didn't take it.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Flattery will get you everywhere! Harry, thank you for visiting, and for taking the time not only to judge, but also to give your comments. Your frankness is appreciated. It ain't easy telling folks what's wrong with their shot, but you've done it with grace and tact. It's been a pleasure having you as our guest. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Flattery will get you everywhere! Harry, thank you for visiting, and for taking the time not only to judge, but also to give your comments. Your frankness is appreciated. It ain't easy telling folks what's wrong with their shot, but you've done it with grace and tact. It's been a pleasure having you as our guest. thumb.gif

that's what he does really really well :D
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Good point Erik. Its hard for me to say how I would have shot the pic not having been at the spot at the same moment you were there. I think you did a good job with what you had. The problem is that what you had just wasn't exciting to me. I might have gone for a tighter crop, the large open space right below the car bothered me.

Your technique on the shot was fine. The subject just didn't excite me. This is all quite subjective now. I have taken lots of shots that I liked and everyone else went ho-hum. They key here is to please yourself. If you're happy with the shot then its a good shot.

Harry
    thanks harry, for the personal reply, and for being a great guest host! thumb.gif
    Erik