Options

Settings for Canon 7D for outdoor soccer

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Would suck be a little too harsh or would it be spot on? I would assume that they won't be as good as yours but they could be decent.

Well it's a little harsh, and yes you can get a decent shot standing. But as a general rule, especially with kids, shooting at their level makes them look like pros. You get their perspective on the action. The camera becomes a peer, not a superior. This also includes the horizon and a more distant background, which will usually be nicely out of focus. Shooting standing gives the perspective of an adult looking down on children, which is what parents see every day. No need to record that perspective in a photo.

This moment happened to catch me while I was standing, and I think it's pretty great. But I think the angle of the players and the light all cooperated in my favor.

680356135_LBqP3-X2-3.jpg

Now a kneeling shot. The kids don't look 9 years old to me this way:

IMG5594-X2.jpg
    Of course I'm one of the guys that stands, uses a monopod (once in awhile) but at least it is't attached to the lens.

It should be attached to the lens ring, so you can rotate to portrait orientation. And try kneeling! :D
    A little off subject, seeing that you own the 5DII & the 7D, which one do you prefer to use for sports?

7D AF is better and the extra reach is nice for field sports with a 70-200. But the 5DII can do sports very nicely, just with a lower keeper rate, and only 1 usable AF point (with the 6 invisible helper points around it)

5DII:
    1041338889_gmSva-X2-1.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.