Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    All I can say is... meh.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Glad to hear I am not the only one to use center point 99% of the time for focus. The Mk3 looks like being my next camera whenever I have the cash. Looking forward to the low-light performance, the full-frame, and the MP looks about the right compromise nowadays for PC performance and crops. Actually looks perfect.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    AF on the 5D2 has never been a problem for me but I tend to grab the 7D where it would matter; for reasons other than AF, like speed, reach etc.

What really gets to me with the 5D3 is:

- auto-ISO with min and max settings, PLUS min shutterspeed setting :D

- AE bracketing settings other than just 3 shots (up to 7)

- +/- 5 stops exposure compensation

- same controls as 7D

- side by side comparison on LCD

- picture rating compatible with Lightroom

I'm left with the question if it uses the same battery type as 5D2 and 7D.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited March 3, 2012
    DeVerm wrote: »
    ... I'm left with the question if it uses the same battery type as 5D2 and 7D.

From the Canon specifications page (at the bottom):

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

"Battery
    One Battery Pack LP-E6"

Yes, this is also the battery used in the 7D, 5D MKII and 60D bodies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    From the Canon specifications page (at the bottom):

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

"Battery
    One Battery Pack LP-E6"

Yes, this is also the battery used in the 7D, 5D MKII and 60D bodies.

thumb.gifthumb.gif:D
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    There's not a lot wrong with it
    And I'm sure a lot of wedding photographers will be very happy with the better AF and other improvements in the 5DII. Landcape photographers who's bread and butter is large prints (and don't mind the performance hit their work flow might take) OTOH may be sorely tempted by the D800.
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    The Canon 5D MKIII appears to have adopted a very similar, if not identical, AF module from the Canon 1D X. The 1D X has not been tested much in the field, so it's really too early to give much concrete data about AF speeds or AF accuracy. My guess is that Canon has tested this AF system more than any previous and I suspect that they have proven it capable in their tests.

One major difference between the 1D X and the 5D MKIII is that the 1D X uses 3 - image processors*, while the 5D MKIII uses 1 - image processor*. This will certainly affect AF acquisition to some degree, but it is uncertain just how much.

*(The 1D X uses a pair of Digic 5+ processors, plus a Digic 4 processor. The 5D MKIII uses a single Digic 5+ processor.)

Apparently Canon has kept at least one major AF trick up its sleeves for 1DX buyers...

From Bob Atkins hands-on preview:
    One difference between the EOS 5D MkIII and the EOS 1D-X is that the 5D MkIII does not have the EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF mode of the EOS 1D-X which recognizes the subject based on face and color detection from the AE system, and tracks it using AF points.
    Remains to be seen how big of a deal this is, but it's one of the things I'm really curious about on the 1DX... How much practical difference does iTR make in the field for sports shooting?

Shutter lag is same as 7D, so slightly (6 ms) slower than 1DX.

I'm also assuming AF isn't going to be as quick on the 5D3, but we'll see.

Jay
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    rolette wrote: »
    The Canon 5D MKIII appears to have adopted a very similar, if not identical, AF module from the Canon 1D X. The 1D X has not been tested much in the field, so it's really too early to give much concrete data about AF speeds or AF accuracy. My guess is that Canon has tested this AF system more than any previous and I suspect that they have proven it capable in their tests.

One major difference between the 1D X and the 5D MKIII is that the 1D X uses 3 - image processors*, while the 5D MKIII uses 1 - image processor*. This will certainly affect AF acquisition to some degree, but it is uncertain just how much.

*(The 1D X uses a pair of Digic 5+ processors, plus a Digic 4 processor. The 5D MKIII uses a single Digic 5+ processor.)

Apparently Canon has kept at least one major AF trick up its sleeves for 1DX buyers...

From Bob Atkins hands-on preview:
    One difference between the EOS 5D MkIII and the EOS 1D-X is that the 5D MkIII does not have the EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF mode of the EOS 1D-X which recognizes the subject based on face and color detection from the AE system, and tracks it using AF points.

Remains to be seen how big of a deal this is, but it's one of the things I'm really curious about on the 1DX... How much practical difference does iTR make in the field for sports shooting?

Shutter lag is same as 7D, so slightly (6 ms) slower than 1DX.

I'm also assuming AF isn't going to be as quick on the 5D3, but we'll see.

Jay

The Canon 1D X has a much more sophisticated AE sensor, really an imaging sensor, and the Digic 4 processor is apparently dedicated to the AE processing and the integration of the AE sensor with the AF sensor. The output of the Digic 4 is further integrated by one of the Digic 5+ processors, where the extra features are managed, like iTR. Note that you can disable "Auto AF Point Selection", which I believe also disables iTR.

http://www.cyberscholar.com/canon/camera/index.cfm?page=trainingCenter&product=eos_1d_x_metering&productPage=ksp03

The 5D MKIII has a single Digic 5+ image processor and simpler AE sensor, but it still has 63 zones in dual layers, very similar to the metering module of the Canon 7D.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Interesting pieces - apparently they're letting the MkII fill the "lower-end" FF category for a while...

http://gizmodo.com/5889763/why-you-should-buy-a-canon-5d-mark-ii-instead

http://gizmodo.com/5889860/canon-will-keep-the-5d-mark-ii-alive-and-sell-it-cheaper

Which is great I think. I have a 5D2 and don't see me upgrading to the 5D3 in a while. Maybe when the prices come down a bit to the level of when the 5D2 was new. thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Canon 5DIII
    I wonder how well it will shoot sports? Should I keep my 7D?
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »

As a primary camera? I'd think it'd smash the 7D. Just less reach.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012

I recommend waiting to make that decision until after the formal reviews come out and other sports shooters have a chance to shoot both bodies side-by-side, unless you want to do those tests yourself. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I love the 7D for shooting sports when their is plenty of light. However, when shooting in low light situations I find it struggles a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    I love the 7D for shooting sports when their is plenty of light. However, when shooting in low light situations I find it struggles a bit.

I agree with the low light performance of the 7D being so-so. But I don't see a replacement yet... only full frame sensors that mean very pricey longer glass needed. May be it's time to grab a 1D4 ?
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Maybe when the prices come down a bit to the level of when the 5D2 was new. thumb.gif

price needs to drop considerably for me. unfortunately if history is a guide it's probably not going to drop any time soon
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    price needs to drop considerably for me. unfortunately if history is a guide it's probably not going to drop any time soon

I'm pretty amazed at how well the value of the original Canon 5D has remained, considering it was introduced in 2005.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    20479D70E657485DA9911FED92E27EE4.jpg

That's pretty darn good at ISO 25600.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    mr peas wrote: »
    That's pretty darn good at ISO 25600.
    While I share your excitment, a link to dpreview (who took that picture) would be a prudent thing to do IMHO...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012

Considering I use a 5DII to shoot sports... uh, I'm all for the fps increase for outdoor sports. Indoor, like basketball doesn't matter as much as I light my games and I'm usually only shooting 1-3 shot (if at all) bursts.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I was out of town when this news broke. I am thrilled. This is the one camera to rule them all. Ok, fps could have been 8, but that's really not a big deal. I was expecting the 7D AF system. I was hoping for the 45 point system. I am over the moon that it has the 1DX system. Incredible! They finally did it, this is basically the mythical EOS 3D. I am going to use this camera for everything!!!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    I believe that the 5D MKIII will have a similar, or identical, AF "module", compared to the 1D X, but the AF "system" will be different.

It's important to understand the distinction, because the 2 bodies may be very different in AF properties (or they may not be too different). It will take some time to test, and the AF properties of the 1D X are not known yet.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Right, the 5DIII doesn't quite have the AF processing power of the 1DX, but the 61 point module is the same.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    The in-camera HDR is something I have been wanting.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    As a primary camera? I'd think it'd smash the 7D. Just less reach.

Agreed. I see little reason to hang on to a 7D if you are going to own a 5DIII. I suppose if you are a birder you might prefer the pixel density of the 7D.

Of course Ziggy's comment about waiting for tests deserves some consideration, but I am going to make the leap of faith.
    -Jack

• Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I'm pretty amazed at how well the value of the original Canon 5D has remained, considering it was introduced in 2005.

I think it's called currency devaluation.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    I think it's called currency devaluation.

More like 'A really good camera'

And we've actually had the opposite - price devaluation of the cameras. Being released 4 years later, the MKII new still cost $300 less than the 5d classic new.
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    More like 'A really good camera'

And we've actually had the opposite - price devaluation of the cameras. Being released 4 years later, the MKII new still cost $300 less than the 5d classic new.

Yes, but I think the currency devalued after the 5D2 came out, that is the main reason the 5D3 is so much more expensive. You're right about the 5D1 being a great camera though, I picked one up second hand a year or so ago and it makes a great second body to the 5D2, the only think I don't like is the lack of sensor cleaning.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    Yes, but I think the currency devalued after the 5D2 came out, that is the main reason the 5D3 is so much more expensive. You're right about the 5D1 being a great camera though, I picked one up second hand a year or so ago and it makes a great second body to the 5D2, the only think I don't like is the lack of sensor cleaning.

Right. In Yen the Mk2 and the Mk3 have the same launch level - around 280k Yen. The original 5D was pitched a lot higher. I would be surprised if Mk2 continues for long in the US market at the current price level.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I guess my take-home message from all the wisdom and experience in this discussion is twofold:

1. Wait until some real world reviews are published: So often something sounds great in the abstract, but ends up not being all the useful or practical; or even as capable was it was advertised.

2. It's hard to appreciate the value of improvements if we are used to the limitations of our present capabilities: I shoot sports with a 5DII body (along with 1D bodies) and get by. When the AF works and the shutter does not lag too much, I get some great images from that body. I tell myself that this is fine performance, and make accommodations for the camera's limits. However, if I had the same or better image quality with a 5DIII or a 1Dx and *didn't* have the AF hassles or the sluggish shutter of a 5DII, I'd be all over it! For me at least, I get used to the limitations of my equipment and take some pleasure in finding creative ways around it. That said, I'd love to apply this creativity at a whole new level!

I think I'll wait to see what others have to say about each of these new bodies once they are released and snapping away.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Anyone think there might be a way, with the silent mode shutter, since it uses an electronic shutter for the 1st curtain, we'll be able to sneak a higher than 1/200 sync???? Hell, I'd drop down to 3fps if I could sync at 1/320 like a 1Dv. :D