5D mk III back from CPS - some good/some bad

124»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Small claims court.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    I passed this thread on to some folks at Canon. We'll see if that helps, Eyal.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Thank you Andy and everyone else.

I have found resolution and his name is Hal! Called Beach Camera a few hours ago and they issued an RMA. Packed up the camera and lens and heading to FedEx with them (as well as the loaner 5D mk III, 70-200/2.8, 135/2 and 100/2). Ready to put this whole horrible saga behind me.

start rant - Have to say, that the most frustrating aspect in the end was the discussion I had with a manager at Canon Corporate Relations today. I admit I do not know as much about Canon gear as the techs that have been there for years but please don't insult my intelligence. I worked hard over the past 6 weeks to help pinpoint the problems with the camera and whether I used a 3rd party software (to offer whatever objective evidence I could) should not disqualify all the effort I put into this. I have been nothing but cordial in all of my verbal interactions with Canon. All I ever wanted was a single person there to sympathise with the frustrations I was expressing and help me come to a mutually agreeable resolution. - end rant
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I have found resolution and his name is Hal! Called Beach Camera a few hours ago and they issued an RMA. Packed up the camera and lens and heading to FedEx with them (as well as the loaner 5D mk III, 70-200/2.8, 135/2 and 100/2). Ready to put this whole horrible saga behind me.

Really hope this works out for you. Kinda surprised you relinquished the loaner, but my fingers are crossed.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Good Luck! Be comforted that lightning never strikes the same place twicewings.gif
    I have found resolution and his name is Hal! Called Beach Camera
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Jack
    They were never going to allow me to keep the loaner. That became quite clear after talking to 'management'. Once that option was taken away, I felt really stuck. The call to Beach was like a Hail Mary pass with seconds left on the clock.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    How were they going to not allow you to keep the loaner? Did they have your CC?
    -Jack

• Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Well no. But they made it clear they would continue to push me to accept 'my' camera and would not authorize the loaner on exchange.

Frankly I was tired of running tests to prove to them what was clear to me - the camera's autofocus was inferior to that of the loaner. Whether that fell under 'factory tolerances', I can't answer. But for $3500 I would hope my Kepler rate would be better than a 4 year old 50d with its 9 AF points.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Well... I hope the new one works out. Let us know.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Me too. And I will.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Eyal, the way it went with Canon was as I foresaw, in their making the FoCal evidence the overwhelming invalidating part of your claim, and in keeping your complaint local to the service centre. At the point that was reached, you would have had to, independently of the service centre and on your own initiative, escalate the issue to Canon USA head office, not on the basis of "proofs" alone, but mainly on the basis of your dissatisfaction, in warranty terms, and Canon's defacto admission of faulty parts in the camera.

Still, this is a black mark against Canon in my book. There are now 2 such, because in actuality I had a similar experience to you when I bought my 40D. First copy, the images were full of noise. Sent it back to local Canon service centre, they said no problems found, escalated to regional (Middle East) Canon office, threw in a couple of statements from other Canon photographers who had tested my camera supporting my claim. Result, was given a new copy.

Hope the pleasure you get with your replacement will quickly efface this bad experience.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Thanks Neil. In fact I did try to escalate this outside of the service center. After the supervisor there told me to 'keep testing', I called CPS. Got a manager who seemed helpful but then got bumped 'up' to the manager at Canon Corporate Relations. I've been trying to figure out what ticked me off so much in speaking with him and I finally figured it out - he was snide and condescending in every comment and remark. I expressed the dissatisfaction I was feeling but that was summarily dismissed. This whole experience has definitely soured me on Canon in regards to their customer support and I do not plan to extend my CPS membership.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Yep, I can see that.

Don't "cut off your nose to spite your face" though. When it comes to what Canon can offer that is useful to you, then exploit it to the nth. Like or dislike Canon, as in this experience you have had, doesn't matter.

You didn't in fact "go all the way" with Canon in this experience, I think, maybe. You still had options apart from the toxic guy you describe. The local service centre (which possibly had also prepped that guy in his response to you, through notes or even indirectly through your own retelling of the history) apparently interpreted you as a OCD case obsessed with applying some uninterpretable numbers of questionable validity and relevance from a 3rd party app not fully supporting the camera, in judgement of the camera in opposition to Canon's own assessment. IOW in the "nut case" category!:D

Not making excuses for Canon, no way, and not my opinion of you, I hope you understand!!thumb.gif But you came to Canon out of the blue of a population of several million unknowns. They have to "filter" you, which is what they did. That filter can be changed, however.

Thanks for opening your problem to us here. It's been valuable.

Neil

Thanks Neil. In fact I did try to escalate this outside of the service center. After the supervisor there told me to 'keep testing', I called CPS. Got a manager who seemed helpful but then got bumped 'up' to the manager at Canon Corporate Relations. I've been trying to figure out what ticked me off so much in speaking with him and I finally figured it out - he was snide and condescending in every comment and remark. I expressed the dissatisfaction I was feeling but that was summarily dismissed. This whole experience has definitely soured me on Canon in regards to their customer support and I do not plan to extend my CPS membership.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    I don't think I would be so quick to walk away from CPS. For $100 borrowing equipment and getting expedited repairs at a discount is hard to beat. I think you just walked into a perfect storm of problems and support responses. Time consuming as it was you are getting your camera replaced. If you didn't have CPS there is a good chance it would have been even more time consuming.

and I do not plan to extend my CPS membership.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2012

Canon is probably inundated with complaints about every possible minutia from people like the idiot pixel-peeping window-licking forum members at dpreview, many of whom I think are insane and/or out of touch with reality and the outdoors.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited June 27, 2012
    You guys have great points. I'm not sure how I could have proven myself to be a photographer and not a gear junky obsessing over a single dim LCD pixel or some other minutiae.

Neil is right in that Mr Toxic was very different after talking to the NJ service center.

I will reconsider CPS at some point. I did just ship back all that gear which I would never had access to otherwise and, in the end, the 5d iii loaner was the single best thing to come out of the experience. That validated my findings (at least to me) and showed me I wasn't crazy and the camera was clearly defective.

Just hoping the next one arrives in time for the fourth now...
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2012
    Wow...talk about customer service. Big shout out to Beach Camera.
    Sent in the camera and lens on Tuesday 6/26. It arrived there Wednesday 6/27 at 1pm. I called Hal as he told me to give him a heads up when it was there to try and make sure I would have the replacement in time for the 4th. Just got an email with a tracking number and the new camera is due to arrive tomorrow, 6/29.
    I'm giddy at the service I have received from Beach. I would not have been upset with them had they told me there was nothing they could do for me. Instead they have gone out of their way to accomodate this replacement and do it in incredibly fast fashion.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    WTG Beach Camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Nothing like a problem/saga on this scale, but my first dSLR was purchased from Beach. It arrived err99 all over the place and had to go back - they were brilliant, sent out a replacement before they'd received the return, and otherwise offered exemplary service. I know they're not usually mentioned in the same breath as B&H and Adorama, but my experience with them was good - glad to hear yours has been too, Eyal.

You've had quite enough drama with this camera, so I'm glad something is finally going right with it all!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    End of the Saga
    So the replacement camera from Beach did arrive today as scheduled and I set about getting the battery charged while I ran some errands (including picking up my Best of Show awardwings.gif). Got home and had a few hours and no kids so I ran through the FoCal testing to get microAF setup. Amazed that the lenses now needed barely any adjustment:
    24-105 got a -1 on both ends
    100/2 got 0
    70-200 got a -1 on both ends
    Far cry from prior values. And I ran a set of 25 shots with AF consistency on the 70-200/4 at 200 and the results were perfect - barely wavering from the line with each shot.

I went out at sunset for a quick shoot around town and then got a text from my wife that our 6 year old finally lost his first tooth. Rushed home, swapped in the 100/2 and shot a bunch in AI servo under dim light. The camera's auto focus was flat out awesome. The only misfocused shots were ones where I moved in too close with the 100mm lens and was within the minimum focusing distance.

Here's one favorite from tonight and I'm very happy to have concluded this long, drawn out saga. I guess the moral is to always go to the place of purchase if possible and get a straight exchange if you find problems with a new body or lens.

i-FG6VPMV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    Great to hear this.clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

[QUOTE=eoren1;1792640 The only misfocused shots were ones where I moved in too close with the 100mm lens and was within the minimum focusing distance.
    [/QUOTE]
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    I don't know about this. I can't see the bears whiskers, and I know bears have whiskers. :D

Isn't nice to have positive proof you weren't crazy? I hope Canon was paying attention, there were 111 post re this issue.

Glad to see all is well and you can enjoy your new camera!!

Sam
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    clap.gif Great outcome, indeed!!!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    Awesome. Welcome to the party.
    -Jack

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Congrats on finally getting what you paid for.

Send a note to the Canon manager (that was a dick on the phone) to call Beach Camera to learn how to deal with a defective product.
    Enjoy the camera, you really did earn it.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I don't know about this. I can't see the bears whiskers, and I know bears have whiskers. :D Sam

...but that's not a "normal" bear, Sam, it's an "upside down bear"!

Congratulations Eyal!

Neil

• Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    Not a bear at all actually. It's a lion. Maybe I do need to get the camera checked rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    riderfanriderfan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2012
    Congrats on finally getting a 5D3 you are happy with!
    What a saga. I have to compliment you on your patience as I would have "boiled over" when they refused to let you keep the loaner. They are both "used" 5D3s and if both are within tolerances why should they care which one you keep? Likely they were concerned yours is sub-standard and didn't want to be sending it out as their new loaner!

A big thumbs up to Beach Camera for how they handled this. Canon doesn't seem to get it when it comes to understanding the importance of making sure their customers are satisfied and remain loyal! They seem to think they are the only game in town. eek7.gif They could (and should) have made you happy by letting you keep the loaner and you would now be singing their praises. Instead you have this tail of crappy service to tell everybody.

I hope you now have years of trouble free shooting, you've earned them!