Options

conformance with EU cookie laws

Comments

• Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me! I'm like the shoemaker's child sometimes, and I get to my own site last. I had an error in my own coding that causes this. Should be fixed now, and I'd love it if you would verify bowdown.gif

Better, in that it no longer overlaps or pushes your title down. So, it can be closed now (for as long as that lasts! - see my analysis post!).

But there is still that gap at the top which SmugMug (not individual users) should repair.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Marjolein, you're not accepting our cookie and that's why it keeps reappearing for you.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    iamback wrote: »

Finally, just one screenshot (with comments) that shows how badly the current 'cookie bar' can mess with layout and be impossible to even close:

Marjolein: I already posted that this was due to my own error in my own code. And it's fixed.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    OH PS: the feedback above is great, thanks so much for taking the time to post it.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    Marjolein, you're not accepting our cookie and that's why it keeps reappearing for you.

Please read again. Because you're telling me what I just explained!

I am accepting your cookies - but only as a session cookie. And there is no way in current browsers to have a setting on a per-cookie basis.

The problem is that this is a very common cookie management scheme (all of Firefox, Opera and Chrome have simple settings to accomplish that).

Once again: Any scheme that relies on setting a cookie to control whether or not a message about cookies appears ends up annoying precisely those users who already manage their cookies.

And no, I see absolutely no reason to accept permanent cookies for all SmugMug-hosted sites that - like yours - use a custom domain! Why on earth would I do that? What would I need those cookies for? Most people managing their cookies will not do so either (and how many of such sites are there anyway? There is no way to globally accept cookies for all of them!)

So ALL of these sites will - with the current scheme end up repeatedly annoying everyone managing their cookies with this very common scheme. Forget about changing the minds of people who already manage cookies - they won't, they already know what they are doing. (In fact, they likely don't even need to be informed - it's the other users that don't realize what's going on which need to be informed.)

The purpose of the EU cookies directive clearly is NOT to annoy. So SmugMug must find a better solution - because annoy is exactly what it is doing now.

The current scheme is no more than a stopgap. Keep it while you get your act together to inventory what cookies you are using, for what purpose, and whether they are actually needed. Then get rid of the ones that aren't. Then provide your visitors a choice, or at least inform them clearly, without annoying anyone.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    Marjolein: I already posted that this was due to my own error in my own code. And it's fixed.

It's just an example of what can happen with many sites that use customization of their page header and a top menu. I doubt it actually was an 'error' in your code. The problem is that the way the banner is displayed clashes with previously perfectly-valid solutions.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    I doubt it actually was an 'error' in your code.

Marjolein: I'm sorry, you are incorrect. It was 10000000000% an error in my CSS. I know this because I fixed it today while I'm on vacation after you reminded me about it.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    It's just an example of what can happen with many sites that use customization of their page header and a top menu. I doubt it actually was an 'error' in your code. The problem is that the way the banner is displayed clashes with previously perfectly-valid solutions.
    Yeah, this is EXACTLY why I'd like to be able to see how my site looks with the EU cookie msg displayed. If the custom header isn't coded to allow Smugmug to stick something above it, it won't look good. Apparently, there is no way to test your site with it if you don't live in the EU. I'd like to see SM support some sort of query parameter that could be tagged onto the URL to force it to display (or some other similar tool) so we can test our own sites.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    Yeah, this is EXACTLY why I'd like to be able to see how my site looks with the EU cookie msg displayed. If the custom header isn't coded to allow Smugmug to stick something above it, it won't look good. Apparently, there is no way to test your site with it if you don't live in the EU. I'd like to see SM support some sort of query parameter that could be tagged onto the URL to force it to display (or some other similar tool) so we can test our own sites.

It's the very same messagebar we use for trial accounts, so you can open a free trial if you wish and see the same bar.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    It's the very same messagebar we use for trial accounts, so you can open a free trial if you wish and see the same bar.

That will only allow you to see if it might 'displace' something, but will not allow you to style the actual cookie bar to match your own theme.

There is already a simple 'Visitor view' available. Surely a similar 'EU visitor view' could be provided? That should not be so hard.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012

I think something like 'Visitor view' should be possible. SM should look into providing that.

Meanwhile... Did you try FoxyProxy or a similar proxy plugin that I linked to in a previous reply? Choosing an EU country should enable you to see your site (and others') as if you are from the EU.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Marjolein: I'm sorry, you are incorrect. It was 10000000000% an error in my CSS. I know this because I fixed it today while I'm on vacation after you reminded me about it.

Ouch :cry - but when you're on vacation you should be on vacation! What are you even doing here? Surely someone can stand in while you do whatever you do on vacation!? :photo (I could have sworn there was a smiley with a palm tree...)
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Ouch :cry - but when you're on vacation you should be on vacation! What are you even doing here? Surely someone can stand in while you do whatever you do on vacation!? :photo (I could have sworn there was a smiley with a palm tree...)

lol3.gif are we ever really on vacation? SmugMug never closes and I'm happy to help any day. BTW thanks again for pointing out the error on my site.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    That will only allow you to see if it might 'displace' something, but will not allow you to style the actual cookie bar to match your own theme.
    No, in fact, the new user trial bar is absolutely identical, code-wise, to the EU Cookie Bar.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2012
    No, in fact, the new user trial bar is absolutely identical, code-wise, to the EU Cookie Bar.

Hmm - then what about the bright blue bar that comes up when you request a short URL? With a similar blue icon but not only a bright blue background, but also a bright green 'copy' button that does not even work in Firefox? (I know placing something on the user's clipboard is notoriously difficult, and may not be possible anyway because of user's security settings.)

I looked at that bright-blue not-working wonder twice, and then no more, deciding I could make something better, but while I did look it seemed to use code from... some sort of trial bar! ;) So has that changed then? because the EU Cookie bar does not look like it, apart from the blue icon-that-looks-like-button-but-isn't. ;)

Just curious if maybe that bar changed, too?
    Anyway I realize his is getting off-topic. I'm actually very busy working on my own solution to conform (as best I can) with the EU directive. I think it's more complicated than you guys at SM may have realized, but more on that later.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2012
    Hmm - then what about the bright blue bar that comes up when you request a short URL? With a similar blue icon but not only a bright blue background, but also a bright green 'copy' button that does not even work in Firefox? (I know placing something on the user's clipboard is notoriously difficult, and may not be possible anyway because of user's security settings.)

I looked at that bright-blue not-working wonder twice, and then no more, deciding I could make something better, but while I did look it seemed to use code from... some sort of trial bar! ;) So has that changed then? because the EU Cookie bar does not look like it, apart from the blue icon-that-looks-like-button-but-isn't. ;)

Just curious if maybe that bar changed, too?
    Anyway I realize his is getting off-topic. I'm actually very busy working on my own solution to conform (as best I can) with the EU directive. I think it's more complicated than you guys at SM may have realized, but more on that later.
    That's a different "bar". And smu.gs short link copy is working for me just fine in Firefox browser - please write our heroes if that is not working for you, we can assist in troubleshooting. http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    Not a particularly easy work-around. It requires copying all customizaion from the current site to the trial account since the point is to see how your customization interacts with the msg and even then, it's still not the quite the same site. I repeat my request for a way to let us test our customization in our site with things you might insert into our site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2012
    Not a particularly easy work-around. It requires copying all customizaion from the current site to the trial account since the point is to see how your customization interacts with the msg and even then, it's still not the quite the same site. I repeat my request for a way to let us test our customization in our site with things you might insert into our site.
    It's a fine request :) I hope we can get to it, John! But having said that, while I was fixing my site the other day when I was out west on vacation, I took about 3 minutes to copy my header code to a new trial site and see what the trial bar looks like. And then I was able to fix the error in my own CSS! Boom-done. No waiting.

Please do add it to http://feedback.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012

Please let us know if you do add a request to http://feedback.smugmug.com, and I'll add my vote. I'm sure something simple like 'Visitor view' should be possible. I definitely agree everyone should be able to see what gets injected into your pages (and devise a strategy for how to deal with that).

But I also think proper information and transparency about what kind of cookies are used, and why, and getting consent fro that, should not be limited to us Europeans. I won't, anyway.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    Just wondering why I don't see the 'Cookie bar' in question on my site?
    Do I have to implement this or is something in my code over-riding it appearing?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    caroline wrote: »
    Just wondering why I don't see the 'Cookie bar' in question on my site?
    Do I have to implement this or is something in my code over-riding it appearing?

Caroline

Try browsing your site, my site, and smugmug.com with a fresh browser (no SmugMug Cookies).
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    Try browsing your site, my site, and smugmug.com with a fresh browser (no SmugMug Cookies).

i see it on your site and SmugMug but still not on mine in either Safari or FF and yes I have cleared cookes and logged out:))

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    i see it on your site and SmugMug but still not on mine in either Safari or FF and yes I have cleared cookes and logged out:))

I suspect you've customized it away somehow in your customization.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    I suspect you've customized it away somehow in your customization.

So am I correct in assuming that you can't see it either?

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    So am I correct in assuming that you can't see it either?

Caroline, I can't see it because I'm not in the EU :D
    You have a ton of customizing, I'm just not sure what it is that you have in there that's blocking it - but something is preventing #messageHeader from showing on your site for you.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2012
    Caroline, I can't see it because I'm not in the EU :D
    You have a ton of customizing, I'm just not sure what it is that you have in there that's blocking it - but something is preventing #messageHeader from showing on your site for you.
    Andy, where does the #messageHeader fall in the html? She could copy that part of the page source
    and maybe we could figure if anything in CSS was hiding it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Daniel UKDaniel UK Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2012

Not sure if you've just fixed this or not but I can see it on your site.

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/IJB5
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    Daniel UK wrote: »
    Not sure if you've just fixed this or not but I can see it on your site.

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/IJB5

Thanks very much Daniel, I was just going to take a look at fixing it! You've probably saved me hours:)

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    Andy, where does the #messageHeader fall in the html? She could copy that part of the page source
    and maybe we could figure if anything in CSS was hiding it.

Hi Allen wave.gif

It would still be handy to know the answer to this please Andy.

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2012
    Hi Allen wave.gif

It would still be handy to know the answer to this please Andy.

I'm really not sure what you or Allen means, please do post in the customizing forum where we can dive into more detail.