Options

1D Mk II owners please help me decide

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Keep your eyes open for used 1DMkIIs. This is an extremely sturdy great camera and you don't need mint. With both 5D and 1DMkIIN out, I think the prices of these will drop through the $2k floor by xmas. Canon has to have something in the works that will replace both 1DMkII and 1DsMkII (in the spring?) That will drive the price lower still. Try a WTB on FM and here. I have insider knowledge that there are 1DMkII owners with a desire to replace with a 5D.

Like here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21453
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Keep that 20D. You won't get that much for it and it's like the world's best TC. You get the actual optics of the lens without degradation. I don't know about BIF shots, but great for surfers and skiers and the like.

Look for a 300mm f/2.8. These are hard to find used, but they do exist. I got one from Adorama last summer in not quite mint shape for about $3k with a 3rd party 3 year warranty (don't know what that's worth).

Keep your eyes open for used 1DMkIIs. This is an extremely sturdy great camera and you don't need mint. With both 5D and 1DMkIIN out, I think the prices of these will drop through the $2k floor by xmas. Canon has to have something in the works that will replace both 1DMkII and 1DsMkII (in the spring?) That will drive the price lower still. Try a WTB on FM and here. I have insider knowledge that there are 1DMkII owners with a desire to replace with a 5D.

I've got dozens and dozens of BIFs with a 20D. But I take a 20D and and a 1DMkll into the field whenever I plan on shooting birds - It is a GOOD thing to have wider, as well as long at your finger tips - a 20D with your 200, and a 1D with something longer :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks Rutt. John has decided to hang on to his mark II, but promised to let me know if he changes his mind.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I've got dozens and dozens of BIFs with a 20D. But I take a 20D and and a 1DMkll into the field whenever I plan on shooting birds - It is a GOOD thing to have wider, as well as long at your finger tips - a 20D with your 200, and a 1D with something longer :):
    This would be the best case scenario, but at this point I could only justify keeping one camera. So if you had to go into the field with only one, which would you choose?

-j
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 12, 2005
    This would be the best case scenario, but at this point I could only justify keeping one camera. So if you had to go into the field with only one, which would you choose?

-j
    IF I had to keep only one body, I would keep the 20D and the cash I would save from the 1DMkll. I rarely use the high speed capability of the 1DMkll - I like the 1DMkll, I like the better AF and the brighter view finder, but it is heavier, and the 20D works for most everything I shoot just fine. I don't generally shoot sporting events nor motor sports - not really lack of interest, rahter lack of convenient time. SO a 20D works for me. BUT I have kept the 1DMkll because it WILL AF at F8 and that is an f4 tele + 2xTC. That is just me though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! Guess you can tell by my ad what I've decided..

One more thing: Any advice in buying a used 1DII? I know these things are built like tanks and rated for 200,000 clicks, but how many clicks is too many when you buy used?

Any red flags with cameras that are on their 2nd or 3rd owners? Even if the sellers have great feedback?

Thanks again guys for all the help!

-j
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited November 15, 2005
    Been a pretty interesting discussion.

Personally, I would suggest getting better glass. Like the 500/f4 or the
    300/f2.8.

As others have suggested, the 300 with a 1.4x is a great combo. With the
    2x, less of a combo but still doable.

Hand-holding a 500? I'm not sure about that. Especially with a 1dmkII
    attached to it. It's a heavy combination and you might be able to squeeze
    off a few frames here and there but over the course of a half-hour's time?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Been a pretty interesting discussion.

Personally, I would suggest getting better glass. Like the 500/f4 or the
    300/f2.8.

As others have suggested, the 300 with a 1.4x is a great combo. With the
    2x, less of a combo but still doable.

Hand-holding a 500? I'm not sure about that. Especially with a 1dmkII
    attached to it. It's a heavy combination and you might be able to squeeze
    off a few frames here and there but over the course of a half-hour's time?

Ian
    Read my comments above
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph