My first wedding, series of 12

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 9, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Hi all,
I shot my first wedding recently and wanted to share a few of the candids which are my favorites.
I am happy with the candids and horrified by my posed shots (thankfully my brother was my second shooter and he is great with the posed shots). It was a large family and I quickly lost control when it came time to pose them and I lost all creativity, I was lucky to have the camera pointing out. I regained control but it was chaotic.
I've since shot a much smaller intimate wedding and I'm working on those.
I don't think I have the makings of a wedding photographer, unless all they want is candids.
So here goes.
C&C appreciated.
FYI--I have not stopped shooting, I know I have been MIA, trying to come back.

sp-32-L.jpg

sp-33-XL.jpg

sp-28-L.jpg

4. My brother--not only an awesome second shooter, but also the only one that knew how to place one of those boutonnieres properly.
sp-60-L.jpg

5. I'm drawn to this one--am I alone in this?
sp-62-L.jpg

6/
sp-95-L.jpg

sp-168-L.jpg

sp-282-L.jpg

sp-284-L.jpg

sp-313-L.jpg

sp-312-L.jpg

sp-13-2-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    liz these are a B+. you captured some good moments to be sure and they are a solid effort. Frankly I know you can do a bit better though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    liz these are a B+. you captured some good moments to be sure and they are a solid effort. Frankly I know you can do a bit better though.

Hey Qarik,
    I had a feeling you would comment.
    I know what you mean!
    I agree totally.

I just don't know what happened. Was I overwhelmed? (I was for the group posed to be sure), there was a 3 hour delay in starting the shooting, everything ran late, make up artist didn't show etc, that kind of killed it a bit, was there from noon til midnight--long long day. I don't know how the wedding photogs do it! It was killer! and to try and keep creative juices flowing.

So much dead time just standing around.

I am happy w/ the candids---but thrilled is not a word I would use for sure.
    Thanks for commenting and your honestly.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Well, Liz, I wouldn't even know how to judge these shots. That whole wedding photography thing simply paralyzes me to think about it. I can, however, tell you in all honesty that I truly admire your gumption in even giving it a try. If I thought I had to shoot weddings for a living, I'd quickly sell all of my gear.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    OK, I'm bored this morning and will comment on something that I have very little interest
    in: other people's wedding shots. When you don't know the people involved, very few
    candid shots have much interest. It's when you know Uncle Harry is normally a staid and
    reserved person, and a candid catches Uncle Harry being silly that the photo registers.

Primping brides and bridesmaids are the fodder for candids, but these shots are as expected
    as the clasped hands holding the cake-cutting knife in the formal pix. Dancing couples, proud
    and happy parents of the b & g, and the flower bearer and ring bearer tykes are also formula
    shots.

When strangers on the subway are seen as candids, we know we are not supposed to see them as
    familiar faces and we can judge the image as an outsider. With other people's wedding shots, they
    are strangers to us but we feel we would appreciate the shot more if we knew the subjects. It's
    like we're intruding.

I dunno, Liz, would you be as pleased with these images if you had stopped by a wedding where
    you didn't know anyone there? Are the captures special for the capture or for the subjects?

Having said all this, the karate chop in #3 is interesting. It makes me wonder what it was all
    about. I know what's going on in the rest of them. Number 5, your favorite, doesn't do it for
    me because I don't know if the females are wedding party members or wedding guests. There's
    a separation between them and the male wedding party member, but is he ignoring his bride,
    or a couple of his bride's friends or relatives? For that matter, is he the groom or an usher?
    You know all this, but I don't.

I'm sure that your family will have a much different, and much more approving, reaction
    to these shots.

As a complete aside, and nothing to do with this, my wife and I were discussing our
    own wedding in 1964 for some reason. Her budget was $250...church wedding, catered
    reception (but family members brought the booze), and professional cake. What's
    that buy today? Just the cake? My favorite candid taken by a friend is the bride with
    wedding veil askew and her chugging a bottle of beer.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    A fabulous capture of fun, happiness,and good times! I think they are a great set of images , a large number stand out to me. I enjoy them very much! Not all of us have had a formal wedding or have even attended one .There are many things in life one does not get a chance to eperience like seeing the joy of a mother who has just given birth to a child as an example. I find these types of images on this forum and find a great deal of them beautiful to see.Excellent work Liz!
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Really excellent work, Liz, and I have to say I find Tony's comments mind boggling. Weddings - and funerals - are the ultimate social/family gathering; photographing them - well - is a form of anthropology, producing images that can be every bit as entrancing as the best street photography. You have wonderful candid shots here, that tell me you definitely know what to look for - you are drawn to the human interactions, to the special moments. The one bit of advice I'd give you is to be as careful with each of these shots as you would be with street shots; watch your framing; watch your composition. Don't lop off toes and fingers when their inclusion would complete the image; think about where you are chopping off legs and why; think about who you are including in each image; watch what's going on behind your subjects, and consciously chose what to include, and what to exclude. You get the point. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 7, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    OK, I'm bored this morning and will comment on something that I have very little interest
    in: other people's wedding shots. When you don't know the people involved, very few
    candid shots have much interest. It's when you know Uncle Harry is normally a staid and
    reserved person, and a candid catches Uncle Harry being silly that the photo registers.

Primping brides and bridesmaids are the fodder for candids, but these shots are as expected
    as the clasped hands holding the cake-cutting knife in the formal pix. Dancing couples, proud
    and happy parents of the b & g, and the flower bearer and ring bearer tykes are also formula
    shots.

When strangers on the subway are seen as candids, we know we are not supposed to see them as
    familiar faces and we can judge the image as an outsider. With other people's wedding shots, they
    are strangers to us but we feel we would appreciate the shot more if we knew the subjects. It's
    like we're intruding.

I dunno, Liz, would you be as pleased with these images if you had stopped by a wedding where
    you didn't know anyone there? Are the captures special for the capture or for the subjects?

Having said all this, the karate chop in #3 is interesting. It makes me wonder what it was all
    about. I know what's going on in the rest of them. Number 5, your favorite, doesn't do it for
    me because I don't know if the females are wedding party members or wedding guests. There's
    a separation between them and the male wedding party member, but is he ignoring his bride,
    or a couple of his bride's friends or relatives? For that matter, is he the groom or an usher?

I'm sure that your family will have a much different, and much more approving, reaction
    to these shots.

As a complete aside, and nothing to do with this, my wife and I were discussing our
    own wedding in 1964 for some reason. Her budget was $250...church wedding, catered
    that buy today? Just the cake? My favorite candid taken by a friend is the bride with

Tony, the only wedding cake you can buy today for $250 comes from Carvell. A bare bones, basic, wedding in the NYC metro area is going to run $10 to $12K - and that is really barebones. The average, average, NYC metro wedding is close to $30K, and when I say average, that's what I mean. Expenditures on weddings have gotten to be truly, disgustingly, insane.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited August 7, 2012
    Hey Qarik,
    I had a feeling you would comment.
    I know what you mean!
    I agree totally.

I just don't know what happened. Was I overwhelmed? (I was for the group posed to be sure), there was a 3 hour delay in starting the shooting, everything ran late, make up artist didn't show etc, that kind of killed it a bit, was there from noon til midnight--long long day. I don't know how the wedding photogs do it! It was killer! and to try and keep creative juices flowing.

So much dead time just standing around.

I am happy w/ the candids---but thrilled is not a word I would use for sure.
    Thanks for commenting and your honestly.

I only have 1/2 dozen weddings under my belt. But from 1st to the last..it's world of difference already. It just gets easier mentally... and when you are not so stressed out then the blinders come off a bit and your creative juices flow a bit more.

That said I think PJ types have it bit tougher because you rely on what's in front of you and not so much what you can create. But you have to be careful here.. I think some self proclaimed PJ style wedding photogs are that way becasue they are afraid/not good at the "posed" aspect. They don't like herding people, telling them how to pose, finding nice window light, clean backdrops, etc. This is something you need to get over and get relatively good at. Then you can use those skills when you need them, even though they may not be your artistic bent (face it, we need to be able to get out of our selves at times). Finally if you get decent at the posed aspect, then at least you can say that your are a PJ photog for the right reasons. Thats not to say that PJ style is easy. I think excellent candid event photography can be as challenging as posed shots to a large degree. But there is technique there as well. Another mantra of PJ stylists is usually "natural light". A lot of times this means they don't know how to use flash very well. Again..learn to use it and get good. then you can go back to your artistic bent if you want but keep that flash work in your back pocket when you need it.

Now I am going ot pick on one thing in your shots..flat light. There is no dimensionality in many of your shots. You need to create/find soft directional light. Now you might get lucky and find that in the brides changing room from a window..it's your job to take advantage of that and hit those angles in your images. Sometimes you will need to create soft directional light by bouncing flash off the walls/ceiling (then you have to take care and be aware of positions and color of the walls..in my case the my flash head is always doing a dance every few shots) Regardless, it should be more than just point and shoot (unless of course the natural light is great). I guess my basic point is that PJ style should not be substitute for capturing just "moments", you still have to capture those moments with technique and lighting.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited August 7, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Weddings - and funerals - are the ultimate social/family gathering; photographing them - well - is a form of anthropology, producing images that can be every bit as entrancing as the best street photography.
    Hmmm, I dunno. Smith's Wake is certainly an iconic photo, but I don't recall ever seeing a wedding pic in a museum. Might just be my ignorance. Got any examples?

I don't mean to disparage wedding photography--it means a lot to the people who know the players, and it's certainly one of the few remaining steady jobs for a photographer. So that's all well and good for the client and the photographer. But transcendent value? I'm skeptical. I find it hard to imagine hanging a wedding pic of people I don't know in my living room. ne_nau.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Tony, the only wedding cake you can buy today for $250 comes from Carvell. A bare bones, basic, wedding in the NYC metro area is going to run $10 to $12K - and that is really barebones. The average, average, NYC metro wedding is close to $30K, and when I say average, that's what I mean. Expenditures on weddings have gotten to be truly, disgustingly, insane.

I got married in our City Hall atrium (gorgeous building and room) for, dunno, $50? My wife wore a modified prom dress she bought on eBay for $40. She looked stunning in it. (Still does!) The expensive part was the reception afterwards, at some $ figure per head ($8? $10? something like that,) but even that wasn't too bad. Cash bar. Our cake was a gift from one of my MIL's friends. There are some talented amateur bakers out there, if you know where to look.

I will say that our one regret was in the photography: we gave everyone disposable Kodak cameras (so you can see how long ago this was!) and ended up with awful wedding shots. As much as the pros disparage the amateur wedding photographer with their Canon Rebels-- it would've been a step up for us!

Anyway, the point is, nice shots, Liz! thumb.gif
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is sort of already hijacked. Last year two local PJs got married. Naturally, a dozen or so PJ friends came to record the event. I may be wrong, but I am going to guess this kind of event is quite rare. Rather than shooting in a "PJ" style, these were actual working photojournalists covering the wedding of two photojournalists. It is a rare example of the diversity of vision each of these PJs brings to their craft. I hope you find it as inspiring as I do.

http://erinhooley.blogspot.com/2011/10/dj-micha.html

http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/2011/08/mike-and-djamilas-wedding/

http://utahphotojournalism.com/2011/08/djamilla-mike/

http://utahphotojournalism.com/2011/08/mike-and-djamilas-wedding/

http://kylekurlick.blogspot.com/2011/10/utah-mike-djamilas-wedding.html

http://marktheintern.blogspot.com/2011/08/mike-and-djamila.html

There are a bunch more sets from other photographers out there, but I didn't keep a list. For the record, I don't know the bride and groom.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited August 7, 2012
    Really excellent work, Liz, and I have to say I find Tony's comments mind boggling. Weddings - and funerals - are the ultimate social/family gathering; photographing them - well - is a form of anthropology, producing images that can be every bit as entrancing as the best street photography.

I agree in one sense...they are the ultimate documentation of the social/family
    gathering...for the family and social group. Are they of interest to the rest of us,
    though?

We could only afford a photographer to take the newspaper shot of the bride and
    a family group shot at the reception. That almost required a panorama for the joining of
    this Irish/Catholic mob.

The rest of our album is made up of candids by family members and friends. Wonderful
    shots that my wife and I treasure. But, they'd bore the socks off you, BD, or anyone
    else who doesn't know the players. You don't look at those shots in a critique mode;
    they freeze the friends and family as they were in 1964, and no one notices if the
    odd body part is out of the frame, or if the horizon is tilted, or whatever.

I have the greatest respect for Liz and her work, and see nothing mind-boggling
    about not being enthused about this series. "C&C appreciated" doesn't mean
    "Clapping & Congratulations appreciated.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Excellent. Love #2 the most.
    edited August 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmmm, I dunno. Smith's Wake is certainly an iconic photo, but I don't recall ever seeing a wedding pic in a museum. Might just be my ignorance. Got any examples?

I don't mean to disparage wedding photography--it means a lot to the people who know the players, and it's certainly one of the few remaining steady jobs for a photographer. So that's all well and good for the client and the photographer. But transcendent value? I'm skeptical. I find it hard to imagine hanging a wedding pic of people I don't know in my living room. ne_nau.gif

Oh, you cynic you. You may find it hard to imagine a wedding photo of people you don't know hanging in your living room, but I don't know that that's a test of anything; I would be loathe to hang all but a tiny handful of Eugene Richards images in my livingroom - they are just too damn hard to look at for extended periods of time, much less every day. But that does not mean that they aren't outstanding examples of the very best of documentary photography. Sadly, but understandably, wedding photography has been given a bad name by the shlocky nature of most of it.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited August 8, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I got married in our City Hall atrium (gorgeous building and room) for, dunno, $50? My wife wore a modified prom dress she bought on eBay for $40. She looked stunning in it. (Still does!) The expensive part was the reception afterwards, at some $ figure per head ($8? $10? something like that,) but even that wasn't too bad. Cash bar. Our cake was a gift from one of my MIL's friends. There are some talented amateur bakers out there, if you know where to look.

I will say that our one regret was in the photography: we gave everyone disposable Kodak cameras (so you can see how long ago this was!) and ended up with awful wedding shots. As much as the pros disparage the amateur wedding photographer with their Canon Rebels-- it would've been a step up for us!

Far to many people go the disposable, or amateur root - and not because they can't afford better. And they get what they pay for - a bunch of crappy photos that look as though they were taken by a gathering of drunks - which they were. :-)

And just as a point of clarrification - my wife and I probably spent even less on our wedding in 1971 than you spent on yours much more recently. Our 'reception' consisted of petite fours, cheap champagne, and coffee, served in the church reception room - very living room-like, following the 7 p.m. wedding. End of story. We did hire a Washington Post photographer to shoot the wedding and reception, and we have about a dozen 8x10s that look like 1960s news photos. I believe we paid him $150, which was the most expensive part of the affair. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited August 8, 2012
    Well, Liz, I wouldn't even know how to judge these shots. That whole wedding photography thing simply paralyzes me to think about it. I can, however, tell you in all honesty that I truly admire your gumption in even giving it a try. If I thought I had to shoot weddings for a living, I'd quickly sell all of my gear.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks
    I had to give it a go and I was getting paid.
    I have a ways to go if I would consider doing more. Much to learn.
    The biggest obstacle is losing any creativity. It just left me.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012

shots.

like we're intruding.

to these shots.

Hi Tony,
    The karate chop in #3 is a blessing. They are Colombian and being there it felt like something they had done many times before.

They are not my family, they hired me.

As for budget, we got off cheap at my wedding $10 grand in NYC, two blocks from the World Trade Center in 1999.
    But can you believe we did not hire a photographer. My sister took some shots and we gave all disposables (I know!!!). I worked on them since them, scanned them in converted them. Not bad.

Also I want to see that photo of your bride:) serious.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    A fabulous capture of fun, happiness,and good times! I think they are a great set of images , a large number stand out to me. I enjoy them very much! Not all of us have had a formal wedding or have even attended one .There are many things in life one does not get a chance to eperience like seeing the joy of a mother who has just given birth to a child as an example. I find these types of images on this forum and find a great deal of them beautiful to see.Excellent work Liz!

Thank you very mucy. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
    This was a big budget wedding here in NYC. Glad you got to see it.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »

Hey Mark,
    We spent more money and still had only the disposables!! i could kick my own butt.
    Though by NYC standards we got off on the lower end. Knew the owner of the restaurant. 120 people full sit down meals, open bar, dress, limo, cake, dj--and NO PHOTOGRAPHER! lol, oh I laugh now.

THank you. I'm glad you liked the shots.

I'd love to see some of your shots too from that day if you want to scan them into this thread.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is sort of already hijacked. Last year two local PJs got married. Naturally, a dozen or so PJ friends came to record the event. I may be wrong, but I am going to guess this kind of event is quite rare. Rather than shooting in a "PJ" style, these were actual working photojournalists covering the wedding of two photojournalists. It is a rare example of the diversity of vision each of these PJs brings to their craft. I hope you find it as inspiring as I do.

http://erinhooley.blogspot.com/2011/10/dj-micha.html

http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/2011/08/mike-and-djamilas-wedding/

http://utahphotojournalism.com/2011/08/djamilla-mike/

http://utahphotojournalism.com/2011/08/mike-and-djamilas-wedding/

http://kylekurlick.blogspot.com/2011/10/utah-mike-djamilas-wedding.html

http://marktheintern.blogspot.com/2011/08/mike-and-djamila.html

There are a bunch more sets from other photographers out there, but I didn't keep a list. For the record, I don't know the bride and groom.

Thanks for the share!
    I looked at everyone of them.
    I'm drawn more to Kyle's photos second from the bottom. So cool. Loved the black and white high contrast and some reminded me of BDs work.

it's not very often you get to see photographers take on the same wedding. Pretty educational, motivational if you ask me.

What a lovely couple too to handle the rain with such style and grace.
    When I first opened up the thread though I thought "lol, hipster wedding" but quickly wound up liking them.

Very inspiring. THank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    I have to say I really like the series. It conveys a great sense of happiness and love. From a photographic point of view I find #10 the best. Awesome clap.gifclap!
    edited August 8, 2012
    Really excellent work, Liz, and I have to say I find Tony's comments mind boggling. Weddings - and funerals - are the ultimate social/family gathering; photographing them - well - is a form of anthropology, producing images that can be every bit as entrancing as the best street photography. You have wonderful candid shots here, that tell me you definitely know what to look for - you are drawn to the human interactions, to the special moments. The one bit of advice I'd give you is to be as careful with each of these shots as you would be with street shots; watch your framing; watch your composition. Don't lop off toes and fingers when their inclusion would complete the image; think about where you are chopping off legs and why; think about who you are including in each image; watch what's going on behind your subjects, and consciously chose what to include, and what to exclude. You get the point. ;-)

Thanks B.D.!
    Funny you should say that about funerals. I am hesitant to shoot there.
    I attended one a couple of weeks ago and had a great shot.
    The lady who died in her coffin and my daughter and her cousin on the kneeling thing below them,b ut they were playing rocks papers scissors. I couldn't bring myself to shoot it. Still on my mind though.

I caught the chopped limbs too late, you are right to be mindful of the little details.
    I'm glad you liked my candids.

I need to work on my wedding photography big time. So much to learn!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    I have to say I really like the series. It conveys a great sense of happiness and love. From a photographic point of view I find #10 the best. Awesome clap.gifclap!

Thanks Juano.
    #10 was the bride with her son, but I loved the angle and how it came out.
    Lots of happiness that day, big loving family who never got off the dance floor.

Matter of fact part of the toast to the couple by the dughter was "if there is a beat, they will dance to it". so sweet.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »

Hi Richard!
    Did you see my brother? :)
    He is shooting weddings, portraits, all sorts of events and making money these days!
    He came a long way since you met him.

Thanks for the input.
    I am torn on wedding phography myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    Excellent. Love #2 the most.

Thanks Damon,
    That would be the daughters getting ready. I have a lot of them, I was drawn to them. Had to remind myself to shoot the bride and groom.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 8, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    I only have 1/2 dozen weddings under my belt. But from 1st to the last..it's world of difference already. It just gets easier mentally... and when you are not so stressed out then the blinders come off a bit and your creative juices flow a bit more.

That said I think PJ types have it bit tougher because you rely on what's in front of you and not so much what you can create. But you have to be careful here.. I think some self proclaimed PJ style wedding photogs are that way becasue they are afraid/not good at the "posed" aspect. They don't like herding people, telling them how to pose, finding nice window light, clean backdrops, etc. This is something you need to get over and get relatively good at. Then you can use those skills when you need them, even though they may not be your artistic bent (face it, we need to be able to get out of our selves at times). Finally if you get decent at the posed aspect, then at least you can say that your are a PJ photog for the right reasons. Thats not to say that PJ style is easy. I think excellent candid event photography can be as challenging as posed shots to a large degree. But there is technique there as well. Another mantra of PJ stylists is usually "natural light". A lot of times this means they don't know how to use flash very well. Again..learn to use it and get good. then you can go back to your artistic bent if you want but keep that flash work in your back pocket when you need it.

Now I am going ot pick on one thing in your shots..flat light. There is no dimensionality in many of your shots. You need to create/find soft directional light. Now you might get lucky and find that in the brides changing room from a window..it's your job to take advantage of that and hit those angles in your images. Sometimes you will need to create soft directional light by bouncing flash off the walls/ceiling (then you have to take care and be aware of positions and color of the walls..in my case the my flash head is always doing a dance every few shots) Regardless, it should be more than just point and shoot (unless of course the natural light is great). I guess my basic point is that PJ style should not be substitute for capturing just "moments", you still have to capture those moments with technique and lighting.

You are back:)
    I will re read this, I think you have many valid points.
    FYI, it was my first event using a flash!
    I have not mastered it. But it was too low light not to use a flash. I think that had some input into why I lost some creativity, too busy freaking out over the flash.

I know there is a guy on Weddings "Bearle" maybe. HE does PJ style but he is so freaking artistic too. That's what my goal is with wedding photography. They guy obviously mastered all the above though.
    Thanks again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    Thanks B.D.!
    Funny you should say that about funerals. I am hesitant to shoot there.

A couple of years ago I attended a memorial service for a dear friend and fellow athlete who died too young. There were hundreds of people in attendance, most of whom I had not seen since our glory days of youth. I hesitated to bring my camera, but finally decided that I would try to capture the event. I ended up getting an enormous number of thank-you notes from just about everybody, many of whom commented that they were too afraid to take pictures themselves but were very glad to have the event memorialized. And I know that the widow of the deceased printed and framed at least one of the shots. I wouldn't say that any of the shots were particularly good on purely photographic merits, but for those in attendance--and those who could not make it--the photos had real value.
    edited August 8, 2012
    You are back:)
    I will re read this, I think you have many valid points.
    FYI, it was my first event using a flash!
    I have not mastered it. But it was too low light not to use a flash. I think that had some input into why I lost some creativity, too busy freaking out over the flash.

I know there is a guy on Weddings "Bearle" maybe. HE does PJ style but he is so freaking artistic too. That's what my goal is with wedding photography. They guy obviously mastered all the above though.
    Thanks again.

yup, that guy is damn good. Assuming you are in room with whitish walls/ceilings I can boil down 80% of my learning with bounce flash to "point slightly behind you and slightly towards the ceiling".
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited August 8, 2012
    Hi Tony,

Also I want to see that photo of your bride:) serious.

My wife has imposed a gag order on that image. She says she didn't
    mind being seen all that goofy around family, but draws the line at a
    bunch of complete strangers.

She has agreed to the release of this one as long as I say that this
    was her first beer, and that she only sipped it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onueazowxyaqi38/1964-027.jpg
    edited August 8, 2012
    My wife has imposed a gag order on that image. She says she didn't
    mind being seen all that goofy around family, but draws the line at a
    bunch of complete strangers.

She has agreed to the release of this one as long as I say that this
    was her first beer, and that she only sipped it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onueazowxyaqi38/1964-027.jpg

I'm hurt she thinks we're strangers.

That is an awesome photo!
    She's radiant and I love her dress!
    The crowd is a hoot too.

I so enjoyed this share! Thanks Tony and thank the Mrs. for allowing it.
    Liz A.
    _________