Options

Canon 6D leak

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in Cameras
I heard as of today Adorama leaked the price on a pre order forum for the canon 6D at $2099 and to be anounced by Canon tomorrow. Specs from what I have heard seam to match the Nikon D600 at 21MP and smaller apc size body. Only questions are if this one will be missing the flash sinc port and if the AF is improved from the 5D Mark ii which is selling for $1800.

I know you realy cant make a decision untill it is out and has quality reviews but what are you guys thinking? 6D or 5D Mark ii? I personaly want to go FF for some of my non sports shots and maybe even for some panning sports that my 70-200 is just a little long for on the crop body but the Mark III is out of my budget.
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    It's interesting. I have three DSLRs right now, 5D mii for astro and landscape, an old XTi for backpacking (except, I seem to have dragged my 5D up to 14K twice in the last year, I'm not sure what's wrong with me), and an IR converted Kiss(XTi). I dislike having two sets of batteries, two sets of remotes (different sockets), two sets of chargers (plus my point and shoots for work). I'd love to pare down my kit, especially since the XTi can't really replace the 5D when I take it instead. I want to see Canon's second generation mirrorless, to see if I can get a single light camera with removable filters for IR and regular shooting. I doubt they'd put the LP-e6 even in a 'pro' mirrorless, so I'd still need two sets of batteries. With sensor based autofocus and live view for IR, the LP-e6 like my 5D, split the difference on weight, and an integrated GPS, the 6D could potentially replace my two XTis. Touch screen is a negative for me, and the price for me is too high right now to replace my xti's just for convenience. I'm curious to see how the sensor handles low light, how much it comes down off of the potential price indicated by Adorama, and what Canon's next mirrorless offering looks like, but it has potential. Top of the line autofocus isn't quite so important to me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    No longer a leak. Official specs:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/canon-announced-the-canon-eos-6d-dslr/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canonrumors%2Frss+%28Canon+Rumors%29&utm_content=FaceBook

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-dslr/

I'm scratching my head on this one. Unknown sensor, unknown AF system (11 points - how does that work?), and wifi (huh? Why???).

My real question at the moment is whether or not people will throw 5d2's overboard to get at this, in which case I might try to pick one up cheaply to start using FF sooner rather than later.... Trouble is, I fear that remaining 5d2's will actually go UP in price following this announcement, since I don't see how the 6d will appeal to those users ne_nau.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    My real question at the moment is whether or not people will throw 5d2's overboard to get at this, in which case I might try to pick one up cheaply to start using FF sooner rather than later.... Trouble is, I fear that remaining 5d2's will actually go UP in price following this announcement, since I don't see how the 6d will appeal to those users ne_nau.gif

I highly doubt it. I don't think the 6D is supposed to be an upgrade to the 5D2. The 5D2 upgrade is the 5D3. The 6D is a fine camera, it will perform at least as well as the 5D2 with probably an extra stop in the high ISO department. I believe it's intended for the Rebel and XXD shooters who want to get into Full Frame. 7D shooters will have to decide if they want to drop to a basic AF system with 1 cross-type point, and slash their FPS rate. In-cam HDR and "silent" shutter mode are surprisingly useful, but I think the only 5D2 owners who will sell their camera to get a 6D are the ones whose 5D2 is almost worn out and they can't justify a 5D3.

So I don't see the 6D affecting used 5D2 prices. I can't imagine they would go up though.

On another note, sadly for Canon fans it seems Nikon has won this battle in the entry level FF war. AF, FPS, probably a bit better noise and DR... I think someone without an investment in EF glass would be hard pressed to choose the 6D over the D600. You'd have to really love the Canon interface, or really want a 70-200/4L.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    from dpreview:

Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Seems like if the 6D had arrived with 9 cross-type AF points, there would be none of the consternation I'm seeing on that other site. But astonishingly, it did not, so here we are. Would 9 points give it "wow factor"? Oh well, focus-recompose works well enough.

It's funny how the 6D is no worse than the 5D2, which was a smash hit, and yet the 6D is being received as a disaster.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Seems like if the 6D had arrived with 9 cross-type AF points, there would be none of the consternation I'm seeing on that other site. But astonishingly, it did not, so here we are. Would 9 points give it "wow factor"? Oh well, focus-recompose works well enough.

It's funny how the 6D is no worse than the 5D2, which was a smash hit, and yet the 6D is being received as a disaster.

It's true that in basic specifications the Canon 5D MKII and 6D seem similar.

The 6D may be a much different animal in that the AF sensor is rated to -3 EV sensitivity (versus -0.5 EV for the 5D MKII). However, I have not seen any mention of the infamous "invisible helper points" which became active in AI Servo mode AF on the 5D MKII. The 6D has a Digic 5+ processor, rated at 17x faster than the Digic 4 used in the 5D MKII. (The Digic image processor handles AF analysis and steering of the lens.)

With the higher sensitivity of the AF system, along with the faster image processor, that could mean pretty good AF for the 6D compared to the 5D MKII, for general photography. On the other hand, tracking AF may be relatively poor, although that might be less of a priority for the type of shooter that this body is designed for.

We will have a much better idea of AF performance once the formal reviews and user reviews start coming in for the 6D.

Yes, I lament the fact that the 6D does not have more than the single, central, cross-type AF dot. We have to consider what the camera has, relative to what other bodies have, in making a purchase decision or recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins

isn't that one of the issues? it's a mildly tweaked 5d2 after years of R&D! compare that with what nikon has put out. Nikon seems to be looking at it rivals nd trying to out do them. Canon seems to be more interested in keeping their line up "orderly" at the expense of their customers.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    Note that the -3 EV sensitivity is only for the center AF point.
    The specs of the 6D are good, but I'm not trading my 5d2 for it
    (and giving up all my CF cards and readers).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    I don't have any problem wtih SD - cards are cheap and readily available anywhere (meaning if you get stuck you can just go buy them instead of having to order them online).

I'm willing to see what this camera is like "in real life", although I don't think it's what I personally am looking for. In some ways I think that the 6d is to the 5d series as the xxd is to the 7d ....
  • Options
    Qarik wrote: »
    isn't that one of the issues? it's a mildly tweaked 5d2 after years of R&D! compare that with what nikon has put out.

Yes, but also it's an all-new sensor (I'm surprised they didn't just re-use the 5D3 sensor) which remains to be seen, and yes let's compare it to the D600 - the only significant difference I can tell so far is 1 cross-type AF point vs. 9. Like I said, if the 6D had arrived as-is but with 9 cross-types, today would have been pretty ho-hum with posts of "nice job Canon, thanks for the affordable FF" all around.
    Nikon seems to be looking at it rivals nd trying to out do them. Canon seems to be more interested in keeping their line up "orderly" at the expense of their customers.

I would say Canon was pretty aggressive with the 5D3 and 1DX. For that I am very happy.
    -Jack

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    I guess the question lies for those who are looking for a under $3000 FF camera do you buy a 5D mark II or a 6D with the mark ii more than likely loosing canon support soon.

Or the 6D with the still single point cross type AF but with a Digic 5+ ( faster more accurate AF?) but new body with longer canon suport life?

I for one am in the market to get a FF but my photography does not make enough to support the purchase of a 5D mark III. I am really torn between these two for my purchase I guess which ever one has the stronger AF will probably win out.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    I guess the question lies for those who are looking for a under $3000 FF camera do you buy a 5D mark II or a 6D

This really isn't a question at all. The in-cam HDR and silent shutter mode are worth the $200 premium for the 6D, easily. We know the AF won't be any worse than the 5DII's, which was actually quite good in the center. And it will probably be better, as it is rated to work in -3 EV light. Also the high ISO performance will be better.
    -Jack

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    and wifi (huh? Why???).

Wifi, yeah, I get ya, but I think it's really a cool funx if you're truly wired in.

I do not think the 5DMK2 will go up in price. The only way I see that happening and it's a long shot, is if the unrest in the Japan/China Islands get's out of hand and those plants actually cannot be used for some time, AND there are political ramifications that extend to other subjective countries. Otherwise, I just don't see it.

Unlike the Nikon D700, I suggest that time is not on the 5DMk2's side. At the rate of improvement in new tech and the variety to be had, They may hold for a bit, but they will Slide. There are a lot of 5DMk2's to be had used. Lots of them (lots more than the D700). And for some strange addictive reason, plenty of folks will dump the 5DMk2 and go to this newer yet Cheaper 6D-FX Camera. Folks like many of the ones here are just fine with the 5DMk2, and certainly quite a few of those have other bodies too.

And for anyone 'wanting' to go Full-Frame, AND Canon, I can tell you what I would do. I'd hold my pennies in hand until the Christmas season and then look for a deal on the 5DMK3
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1 wrote: »
    And for anyone 'wanting' to go Full-Frame, AND Canon, I can tell you what I would do. I'd hold my pennies in hand until the Christmas season and then look for a deal on the 5DMK3

Kind of where my thoughts are heading, although this hands-on of the 6d is actually intriguing

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/09/canon-6d-full-frame-dslr-hands-impressions
  • Options
    Hmmm ... some drawbacks are of course that the shortest shutter speed is down to 1/4000 (vs. 1/8000 in 5D2)
    and no AF assist points for AI Focusing (5D2 has 6 of them), plus flash sync now tops out at 1/180s (vs 1/200s on 5D2).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Isn't the big wow factor of the 6D and D600 more of the price point and size of the body? I'm considering a D600 to just have a lighter weight FF body. It's a technological breakthrough to fit those sensors into a smaller body is it not?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Kind of where my thoughts are heading, although this hands-on of the 6d is actually intriguing

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/09/canon-6d-full-frame-dslr-hands-impressions

Intrigue? YES! Mee too!

But, I'm also intrigued by the New Sony SLT-a99, The GH3, and the Nikon D600... Heck make that with a BMCC on the side please! I love all of the recent news and for me it is all very intriguing.

I tell ya Diva, Want to make yourself sick, just rent a Nikon D700, or D800 and a lens.
    As you know I've had both systems rockin for awhile, I sold my D700 this year (to ensure good money from it since I was in flux photographically), but kept my D90. Still use both Nikon and Canon lenses for my 5Dmk2. I've rented when I knew I needed another body as fill or B or backup. Other than that, I use what tools I have (depending) and roll on~
    tom wise
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    MGRPhoto wrote: »
    It's a technological breakthrough to fit those sensors into a smaller body is it not?
    I don't believe so. There used to be this stuff called "film" that had the same sized sensor PLUS room for a spool on either side of the sensor. And they were in some cases even smaller than today's SLRs (Olympia's SLRs come to mind). :)

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    Considering that the 5D2 release dates back 4 years the advancements of the 6D seem to be a bit underwhelming or not? A 5D2 can be had for less than the 6D nowadays ...
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    The biggest advancement of the 6D is its price. I don't understand why people are expecting "wow" from a bargain camera. After the price, you get the silent shutter mode, in-cam HDR, wifi, and gps for your $200 premium over a "new" 5D2. And who knows, maybe that center AF point is really really good. Maybe it's so good that giving the camera 9 of them would cut too close to the 5D3. We shall see.
    -Jack

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    Perhaps the 6D is mostly a 5D 1 reboot.
  • Options
    insanefred wrote: »
    Perhaps the 6D is mostly a 5D 1 reboot.

5D1 = 12.7mp. 6D = 20.2mp.
    -Jack

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    I think Canon made this camera to appeal to a very specific group of folks. Not my cup of tea, certainly not at that price. I'd rather have a 5DC for $700 if I wanted a FF camera.
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2012
    The biggest advancement of the 6D is its price. I don't understand why people are expecting "wow" from a bargain camera. After the price, you get the silent shutter mode, in-cam HDR, wifi, and gps for your $200 premium over a "new" 5D2. And who knows, maybe that center AF point is really really good. Maybe it's so good that giving the camera 9 of them would cut too close to the 5D3. We shall see.

If they put in a 7D AF it would be wow, but 4 years after the 5D2 a camera that is about equal in specs
    (some are better, some are lesser) and costs about the same ... I think Canon could've done better.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    If they put in a 7D AF it would be wow, but 4 years after the 5D2 a camera that is about equal in specs
    (some are better, some are lesser) and costs about the same ... I think Canon could've done better.

It retails for $600 less than the 5D2 did for most of its life, and it has some new features and a new sensor. That's better than what Leica did with the M9 -> M-E. Let's see what that new sensor does, eh? If they had just put the 21mp 5D2 sensor in it, that would seem cheap of them.

If it had the 7D AF, that would cut too close to the 5D3. I agree the price isn't quite right. For $2099 it should have a 9 cross-type point AF. As-is it should retail for $1899. Nobody would be complaining then. Maybe when it hits the stores the price will be adjusted. I read it is already 20,000 Yen ($255) less than the D600 in Japan.
    -Jack

• Options
    I do think the "unknown quantities" of this camera mean we have to wait and see the reviews once it's on the streets and people are using it. Initial impression, however, is that this is sort of a FF Rebel - it does the job (and probably quite capably), but doesn't have the niceties that those shooting pro-am/pro are used to having in a body.

On paper, I'm scratching my head, but even Canon's "worst" slr's have had their merits, so I'm willing to wait and see what this thing can actually do before completely writing it off. I'm also intrigued to see if the "lower pixel density = better high ISO performance" theory holds true..... If so, this thing should improve on the 5dn's ;)
  • Options
    I'm also intrigued to see if the "lower pixel density = better high ISO performance" theory holds true..... If so, this thing should improve on the 5dn's ;)

I really doubt 2 mp is going to make a difference between the 6D and 5D3. Any difference between the 6D and 5D2 should be due to generational advancements, not mp. According to DxO (rolleyes1.gif), the D4 and D600 beat the D800 for noise, but just barely.
    -Jack