Am I insane?

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    I think a call to CPL may be in order - given the recent price drop, that may well be something to pursue since I have an old point and shoot that I could trade in if need be... Hmmmmm.... more and more ideas.... :D I have no problem going the stepping-stone route again (ie, 5dII purchased at a rock bottom price then sold on with or without my 7d to fund a 5dIII next year sometime, maybe even when the III's price softens a little more).

My gut hunch is that even though the III is for sure a better camera and whups the II's behind as far as AF, the 5DII has been THE go-to Canon camera for non-sports until the III was released. That's not that long ago, so I can't imagine it's any "worse" now than it was 3 months ago... ;) The idea of being able to leave it on ISO 1600 and still get clean portrait shots is beyond appealing (I did a portrait shoot on Tuesday where it was so flippin' dark outside at 11am I could'nt do a single indoor natural light shot in the ENTIRE session) and that alone could make it worth the investment. This entire shoot the other day is taking ridiculous amounts of processing time because I had to fudge the lighting so much; higher ISO capability would have improved things a bunch and saved me so.much.time.

I will also add that I handled a 60d the other day and I HATE the non-joystick rocker collar around the button. I actually use the joystick a lot (mainly to move focus points around the 7d) and it will really be a change not to have it now that all new Canon models are being released without it! I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it's a change I wish they hadn't made....

Jack, I just don't feel comfortable without some kind of backup, however feeble. I reckon I'm selling my *service* as much as my images, and that includes being reliable no matter what. For instance, I did a headshot set for a guy last week - he actually lives in NY but was visiting family down here and had ONE day where he could do the shoot; if my gear had crapped out, I'd have let him down and not done myself any favors as far as word of mouth reputation (as it happens, he came to me instead of returning to the excellent NY photographer who did his last set, and not only because things are cheaper down here - he wanted something a little less formal and relaxed than the high-powered NY studio vibe, and liked my portfolio and decided to give me a try while he was home for a family event anyway. He has been ECSTATIC about the experience from first communication to final shots and is really talking me up. Talk about nice little ego stroke for me! thumb.gif). Anyway, my point here is that I want to have something in the bag for emergencies, even if it's "only" a Rebel.

One other reason not to sell the 7d right away to fund a III is that I"ve become really used to the crop factor as far as what I "see". Until I shoot regularly with a FF camera, I won't know how that will affect me, and I want to keep my options open for a while :)

Anyway, thanks everybody for letting me "think out loud", and all the great discussion thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    I've had all kinds of Canon bodies (still do until I sell them in the very near future), including but not limited to the aforementioned 5DII & 7D.

For me personally, unless I just absolutely needed the extra reach or the snappier focus of the 7D, I always preferred the full-frame 5DII.

I personally have rarely found the focus on the 5DII to be a limiting factor, and yes, I've shot sports with it. I suppose the new 5DIII is now the cats meow, but the 5DII is still a heck of a performer that I was very well pleased with.

(Now, Canon's QC on their products... that's what mainly drove me over to Nikon after 35+ years with Canon)

Bottom line: For the work you do (that I've seen), I think you'll be ecstatic with the 5DII, and full-frame in general. No question about it - For higher ISO images, the 5DII spanks the 7D.

YMMV

Good luck with your decision!
    Randy
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I think a call to CPL may be in order - given the recent price drop, that may well be something to pursue since I have an old point and shoot that I could trade in if need be... Hmmmmm.... more and more ideas.... :D I have no problem going the stepping-stone route again (ie, 5dII purchased at a rock bottom price then sold on with or without my 7d to fund a 5dIII next year sometime, maybe even when the III's price softens a little more).

Yeah, the Canon Loyalty Program is definitely a good idea. I heard they had refurbs for $1500, and typically their refurbs are very low mileage.

Typically, focus is NOT a problem on the 5D2, unless you are trying to track a moving subject with anything but the central point. Even that one is iffy for AI-servo, but it can be done.

The outer points can also be iffy for still shots if you don't know what kind of edge it is looking for. But my experience is if you put it on the right kind of edge (horizontal lines for the outer points), it will work.
    - Bill
    edited October 5, 2012
    Just to complicate things further - is there any official image of the 6d's AF points, ie the spread of them? Is it the classic 9pt layout of the xsi/5dII or is it actually the "conceputalised layout" I've seen knocking around the net? I haven't found an official image, but wondered if anybody else might have.... That COULD actually be a dealbreaker for me - if the points on the 6d are better laid out (and as "wow" as Canon's marketing hype is promoting them), then that really *could* make it useful for me.

Aargh - why am I overthinking this so much?!?!? (answer: anything in the region of $2000 is a LOT for a camera, no matter how good it may be or what a useful professional tool it is .... lol3.gif)
    edited October 5, 2012
    The 6D won't be here at least until December. I haven't seen that specific question answered, but I'd be surprised if the layout of the 9 points were much different than the 5D2. Supposedly the center point was improved to focus in lower light. That's about all I know.

Canon is in a tough spot, here. They are releasing the budget full frame, so they can't really give you the focus system of the 7D or no one would buy the 5D3.
    - Bill
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited October 5, 2012
    Just to complicate things further - is there any official image of the 6d's AF points, ie the spread of them? Is it the classic 9pt layout of the xsi/5dII or is it actually the "conceputalised layout" I've seen knocking around the net? I haven't found an official image, but wondered if anybody else might have.... That COULD actually be a dealbreaker for me - if the points on the 6d are better laid out (and as "wow" as Canon's marketing hype is promoting them), then that really *could* make it useful for me.

Aargh - why am I overthinking this so much?!?!? (answer: anything in the region of $2000 is a LOT for a camera, no matter how good it may be or what a useful professional tool it is .... lol3.gif)

From the Canon USA description and Features page:

Canon 6D AF
    6d_feature_02.gif
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d#Features

A scaled image showing 6D AF frame coverage, from "phreekz.de" site:
    Canon_6D_AF_points_v31.jpg
    http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2012/09/canon-af-vergleich-2012/

Scaled image showing 5D MKII AF coverage from the Steves-Digicams.com site:
    canon_5dmk2_viewfinder.gif
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/eos-5d-mark-ii-slr/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-slr-review-4.html

It appears that the Canon 5D MKII and 6D share a similar AF pattern of distribution, so the major sell of the 6D is the increased AF sensitivity. The 5D MKII, on the other hand, has 4 additional "Helper Points" (not shown) which engage and help only during continuous/AI-Servo AF mode. Both cameras have a single, center cross-type AF point, sensitive to f2.8 capable lenses, and high-precision.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    I am going to predict that the 6D AF, regardless of whether it is slightly superior or inferior to the 5D mk2 AF, will still deliver the same conclusion: Great in most shooting conditions, and decent in low light with the proper AF technique, ...but still falling short for those who push the envelope too far. In other words? Even if the 6D turns out to be slightly better than the mk2, that small advantage may or may not be worth the other drawbacks of having an "amateur" camera body...

My D600 testing has gone down the same road- It's got great autofocus, but I can still feel a difference between it and my D700. Would I use the D600 (or the 6D) professionally? I certainly would, but only for the improvements in image quality. Everything else would be a slight setback that I would have to fight a little harder to overcome. Not a show-stopper like I had originally asserted, but still extra effort.

The only indicator that I could be proven wrong about the 6D's AF is the claim that the 6D can now go down to -3 EV with the center AF point. However in my real-world experience I'm not even close to trusting those "on-paper" specs. For example just yesterday I was shooting with my D700 in a group with a bunch of 5D mk2 / 7D shooters, shooting a model in a dark alley, (All these cameras are -2EV rated I believe) ...and everybody else was having issues with locking focus unless they used AF assist tools, while my D700 was nailing shots effortlessly. So that is why I'm not putting much stock in the -3 EV claim for the 6D... I'd love to be proven wrong, in fact I'd love for Canon to completely climb back on top of the pile for a generation or two; it would force Nikon to step things up again!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    AF, silent shutter, HDR, ergonomics... easily worth $300. I bought my 5D3 for the AF, but I use the HDR and silent shutter a lot more than I would have ever dreamed. Get in with a Realtor friend and shoot real estate to make some easy money. The HDR makes it easy as pie. It's almost like stealing. (sample)

That in camera HDR is seriously nice...your clients must love your work. Thanks for sharing...

As for buying a 5d2...just look at the new technology...see above...technology that might be available in the new 6d...if it were me, I'd wait. Especially, if you don't need any of the pro-feature set that comes with the 5d2 body. And, if you're not shooting weddings, you probably don't.

Never under estimate new technology. And, I'll guarantee that, if it's anything like the New D600 from Nikon...which has IQ second only to the D800...and faster this and better that...you'll kick yourself for buying 4 year old technology. Let it rest for a couple of months...and see...I don't think you'll be sorry.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    I am going to predict that

I am going to predict that the 6D's center AF point will be as good or better than the 5D3's, which is why they only gave it one of them. I will also predict that the outer line-type sensors will be as good or marginally better than the 5D2's, which is to say, dubious for single-shot and useless for servo.
    Ed911 wrote: »
    That in camera HDR is seriously nice...your clients must love your work. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks, I believe they do. :D To be fair though, you can do it with any Canon capable of RAW if you just take 3 bracketed shots and then run the HDR tool in DPP. But doing it in-camera saves a ton of time.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Thanks, I believe they do. :D To be fair though, you can do it with any Canon capable of RAW if you just take 3 bracketed shots and then run the HDR tool in DPP. But doing it in-camera saves a ton of time.

Oh yeah...I know that...but the in camera shots that you've posted are great...and I was using your HDR shot as example for the OP...in the new technology that will come with new cameras.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Seriously what do you need two bodies for? I shot 3 years of Little League T&I and action (5000 keepers over the course of a month), and never had a camera or lens fail. I say roll the dice.

I have had several camera failures at critical times, so having a back-up was really nice. (And oddly, I used my 5d2 as a back up for several sports events, instead of my 1d3.)

I will need to replace my 5d2 shortly, just because it's been seriously used and abused. That said, I consistently get better images from that camera than even my 1d4 bodies. Yes, it takes some practice to deal with the primitive AF system. But even with sports shooting, I can usually get my shot.

I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my 1d4 bodies to 1dx bodies; somewhat reluctantly I might add, as I can certainly get by without the upgrade. However, after shooting a couple of night MLB games with a friend's X, I was hooked. The high ISO performance is really that much better. The other feature I tried (much to the initial amusement of the AP shooter next to me) was zone focusing with face recognition. However, every shot I took of a player running towards me was dead-nuts on! (By the end of the game, the AP guy had enabled this feature on his X as well!)

Honestly, ms Divamum, you can agonise over price and features of new models until the cows come home. Or, you can just get a great camera at a good price and learn to deal with its idiosyncrasies. Anything you buy will eventually become obsolete. I've been really happy with my 5d2, and probably have 300K+ shots logged on it. I've taken it on expeditions and let it soak in water in a 'dry' box for many hours. I've dropped it multiple times, stepped on it, shot professional sports in terrible lighting and lots of rain, all with great results. It's the only camera in my kit that has never failed. If it died today I'd have no regrets.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    I am going to predict that the 6D's center AF point will be as good or better than the 5D3's, which is why they only gave it one of them. I will also predict that the outer line-type sensors will be as good or marginally better than the 5D2's, which is to say, dubious for single-shot and useless for servo.

if that's the case then I might be a potential buyer - if price comes down
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    The AF of the 5d(c) and 5dmkii was never an issue for me. The only issue I have had was user error. Heck, my old (old) 20d AF works fine and it is not an issue either. I am of the opinion, use what your wallet can afford and then learn how to use that tool. FWIW, i find the AF better on the 5dmkii over the old classic, however the classic AF never really bothered me. The biggest difference in IQ I ever noticed between camera bodies was moving from a crop sensor to full frame. I am also of the opinion that there will always be a latest and greatest. So why not wait a few years and get it for much much cheaper when the next gen hits the market.

So, with that said, get the mkii if that is what your wallet can afford. I don't believe you will be disappointment.
    -Jon
    edited October 6, 2012
    Decisions, decisions....

I had FINALLY made up my mind just to stop overthinking things and buy one via CLP for $1583 - I reckon that's kind of a no-brainer since regardless of how much better the 5dIII clearly is, the 5dII IS still a great camera and would get my foot in the FF door and be a very reasonable price to start a stepping stone path to the III.

HOWEVER.

What I didn't know is that Canon charges sales tax... which brings the total up to $1677. Which is nearly the current new price at Amazon. AARGH. Round and round in circles I go..... :bash

Btw, it makes me laugh that this thread has prompted 3 pages of replies -clearly questioning my sanity attracts readers rolleyes1.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012

HOWEVER.

What I didn't know is that Canon charges sales tax... which brings the total up to $1677. Which is nearly the current new price at Amazon. AARGH. Round and round in circles I go..... :giggle

Btw, it makes me laugh that this thread has prompted 3 pages of replies -clearly questioning my sanity attracts readers rolleyes1.gif

Amazon themselves charge sales tax also...it is just some of the private sellers that might not charge sales tax......I do not know about your state but here in Ks if you buy on the net, then want to deduct off taxes they collect sales tax right then and there...so for me and others fro Ks doesn't really matter, they got ya...it is simply a pay now or pay later situation.... :Drolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 6, 2012
    I've never been charged tax by Amazon to date, so unless it's changed in the last 48hrs, I'm in one of the places that isn't an issue.....
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    B&H is the same price as Amazon, or does B&H charge you sales tax?
    Decisions, decisions....

What I didn't know is that Canon charges sales tax... which brings the total up to $1677. Which is nearly the current new price at Amazon. AARGH. Round and round in circles I go..... :bash

edited October 6, 2012
    no, my state typically only charges tax if there is a bricks& mortar store in-state. That's why Canon's tax policy surprised pme; afaik there's no "store" here. Maybe they have offices here or something? Dunno....
  • NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2012

Yeah, just look what you started. mwink.gif

Canon charged me sales tax on a refurb 24 - 70 f/2.8 that I bought last year. I was surprised -- unless Robert Byrd somehow got them to open something in West Virginia, I can tell you there's no Canon facility here...
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    no, my state typically only charges tax if there is a bricks& mortar store in-state. That's why Canon's tax policy surprised pme; afaik there's no "store" here. Maybe they have offices here or something? Dunno....
    Canon USA is headquartered in Lake Success, New York

Also, there are tax wars between online stores and states and not all have resolutions yet. Amazon is now charging sales tax to shipments in CA this month and they weren't before. I wouldn't be surprise if Amazon loses its battle with New York in the future.
    edited October 6, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    Canon USA is headquartered in Lake Success, New York

Also, there are tax wars between online stores and states and not all have resolutions yet. Amazon is now charging sales tax to shipments in CA this month and they weren't before. I wouldn't be surprise if Amazon loses its battle with New York in the future.

Amazon started charging sales tax on sales to Texas a few months ago. I guess there was some kind of facility here. No more Amazon Prime for me! Its a shame, because I loved it, but money talks.
    - Bill
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Am I insane?
    Decisions, decisions....

I had FINALLY made up my mind just to stop overthinking things and buy one via CLP for $1583 - I reckon that's kind of a no-brainer since regardless of how much better the 5dIII clearly is, the 5dII IS still a great camera and would get my foot in the FF door and be a very reasonable price to start a stepping stone path to the III.

HOWEVER.

Good Afternoon Diva,
    The refurbed price of the 5D2 is $1759.20. With the 20% CLP discount by trading in an older Canon camera, the price drops to $1407.36. With 6% sales tax, it's still under $1500 ($1491.80) If they changed their discount, then I'm not aware of that.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
    edited October 7, 2012
    The refurbed price of the 5D2 is $1759.20. With the 20% CLP discount by trading in an older Canon camera, the price drops to $1407.36. With 6% sales tax, it's still under $1500 ($1491.80) If they changed their discount, then I'm not aware of that.

Current discount - I spoke to the CLP rep yesterday - is 10% discount on the refurb price = $1583+tax.....
    edited October 8, 2012
    Ok, I did it - new 5dII on its way to me. With no tax, a 2% cashback reward from Amazon and a 5% cashback reward from my Discover card, I think that's about as good as it's going to get. Worst-case scenario is I send it back, but I have a feeling that, despite the mediocre AF, I'll be just fine with it. Frankly, a bigger question to me is whether or not I'll like the different field of vision - I KNOW I'll love the ISO capability and "creaminess" of the FF sensor, but I suspect there will be a learning curve.... mwink.gif

In any case, at some point in the next year I will probably use the 5dII and/or 7d to help fund a 5dIII - hopefully by then prices will have softened a bit on the III. Yes, I'll lose money on the II, but I consider that a "rental fee" without a time limit so it's all good.

PS One other advantage for me, as a 7d owner, having a 5dII: they use the same batteries..... :D
    edited October 8, 2012
    Am I insane?
    Current discount - I spoke to the CLP rep yesterday - is 10% discount on the refurb price = $1583+tax.....
    Morning Diva,
    Thanks for the discount update thumb.gif For the majority of your shooting, the 5D2 will not disappoint you. Only if you shoot sports, or in very, very low light conditions, would you need a 1 series camera. Thanks again for the updatethumb.gif
    Enjoy your day :D
    Jim...
    edited October 8, 2012
    Am I insane?
    Ok, I did it - new 5dII on its way to me. With no tax, a 2% cashback reward from Amazon and a 5% cashback reward from my Discover card, I think that's about as good as it's going to get. Worst-case scenario is I send it back, but I have a feeling that, despite the mediocre AF, I'll be just fine with it. Frankly, a bigger question to me is whether or not I'll like the different field of vision - I KNOW I'll love the ISO capability and "creaminess" of the FF sensor, but I suspect there will be a learning curve.... mwink.gif

In any case, at some point in the next year I will probably use the 5dII and/or 7d to help fund a 5dIII - hopefully by then prices will have softened a bit on the III. Yes, I'll lose money on the II, but I consider that a "rental fee" without a time limit so it's all good.

If you use the 5D2 for business, then I can't see how you would lose money. If it's just for pleasure or hobby, then yes, you'll lose money. Everything depreciates over time mwink.gif
    Enjoy your day :D
    Jim...
  • naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    After you get used to the 5d2, please post your opinions of the 135mm f/2.0L on a full frame.
    edited October 8, 2012
    nak wrote: »
    After you get used to the 5d2, please post your opinions of the 135mm f/2.0L on a full frame.

muahahahaha That is one of the pleasures I am greatly looking forward to trying firsthand! I love it to pieces on my 7d - although it's sometimes too long - and have a feeling I'll enjoy it even more on FF.iloveyou.gif Actually, one of the many attractions of FF is I can use the 135L the way I currently use the 85 1.8.... :D:D:D

It should arrive tomorrow (I ponied up the extra $3.99 so I could be home to receive it and, if it turns up early enough, play with it on my day off!!). Now that I'm past the idea I just spent nearly 2k on a camera, I'm just excited to get it... :ivar
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Ok, I did it - new 5dII on its way to me. With no tax, a 2% cashback reward from Amazon and a 5% cashback reward from my Discover card, I think that's about as good as it's going to get.

Congrats! So how much was it? I hope you got the $400 rebate? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html
    Frankly, a bigger question to me is whether or not I'll like the different field of vision

This really isn't a question. Once you peer through the big viewfinder, you'll see what you've been missing.
    In any case, at some point in the next year I will probably use the 5dII and/or 7d to help fund a 5dIII - hopefully by then prices will have softened a bit on the III.

I wouldn't bet on the price coming down much if at all, if the 5D2 is any example. You might be able to catch a temporary rebate for like $200.

Anyway, enjoy your new camera! Let's see some results.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 9, 2012

PS One other advantage for me, as a 7d owner, having a 5dII: they use the same batteries..... :D

Welcome to the FF club! Yes there will be a learning curve, and you will feel disappointed with the AF if you are used to the 7D, but for static subjects it is pretty much a non-issue as long as you realize what kind of edge the focus point is looking for.

If you utilize the strengths of the camera, though, you will take shots you could never do with the 7D.
    - Bill