EOS 5D Mk III or Mk II as first full frame?

2»

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Well then, you have a lot more experience comparing the two than I do. I shot a night soccer game at high ISO on my buddy's 5D3 and did notice more of a certain kind of noise in the shadows. However, the more likely explanation is that the noise was less familiar that what I am used to on a 5D2, so I noticed it more.

I didn't shoot a lot of night sports with my 5D2, and none so far with my 5D3, so maybe you have something there. But I have shot a good amount of low light stuff with both and I am digging my 5D3 more.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 16, 2012
    EEFAS wrote: »
    As the M3 has lowlight (timelapse) issues I would not touch it.
    You cannot do the time lapses w/ a M3.

Could you please clarify what your issues are with timelapses on the 5DMKIII? Vincent LaForet calls the 5DMKIII the ULTIMATE Astro time lapse camera in the world right now.

It sounds like one of your problems is that Magic Lantern is not full released for the 5DMKIII yet. One certainly doesn't need ML for timelapses, plus ML will be available any day now. But what's the lowlight issue? headscratch.gif
  • EEFASEEFAS Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    kdog. Early on the sensor glare was a known issue w/ the M3. Some of it has been fixed, but tests we have done still show glare @ very long exposure time lapses. This is a problem. We have never used the Magic Lantern firmware on a M3 - as far as I know it's not compatible & we would never try. The M Lantern firmware works great on the M2 and expands it's capabilities immensely.

Sure, you don't need it for time lapse work - I have a really nice Vello timer.

OP had also mentioned costs as a factor - so I still recommend the M2 if that's an issue. Sure, the M3 has some great features - I'm not debating that @ all. My point is a lot can be done w/ the M2's and for someone moving from his current rig to a M2 or M3 - the M2 allows $$ for other gear. Plus, more & more hacks for the M2 are out & more coming soon.

The second HD Vid posted aboves wide work was done w/ a Samyang 14mm. We tested that vs. the Canon & it (like the reviews) blew it away. $400.00 vs $2k+? Again, what is the shooter doing & is the M3 worth the extra $$? That is all I'm saying. We are now experimenting with putting Hasselblad lenses on the M2's - also inexpensive compared to Canon lenses & really, really sharp. I always had 8/10 lenses on my 4x4 Betterlight Super 6k - same principle.

I also like the M2's as Canon put the Disposable back in DSLR's - if I kill one in the Helo - it's not a huge $$ loss.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    kdog. Early on the sensor glare was a known issue w/ the M3. Some of it has been fixed, but tests we have done still show glare @ very long exposure time lapses. This is a problem. We have never used the Magic Lantern firmware on a M3 - as far as I know it's not compatible & we would never try. The M Lantern firmware works great on the M2 and expands it's capabilities immensely.

Sure, you don't need it for time lapse work - I have a really nice Vello timer.

OP had also mentioned costs as a factor - so I still recommend the M2 if that's an issue. Sure, the M3 has some great features - I'm not debating that @ all. My point is a lot can be done w/ the M2's and for someone moving from his current rig to a M2 or M3 - the M2 allows $$ for other gear. Plus, more & more hacks for the M2 are out & more coming soon.

The second HD Vid posted aboves wide work was done w/ a Samyang 14mm. We tested that vs. the Canon & it (like the reviews) blew it away. $400.00 vs $2k+? Again, what is the shooter doing & is the M3 worth the extra $$? That is all I'm saying. We are now experimenting with putting Hasselblad lenses on the M2's - also inexpensive compared to Canon lenses & really, really sharp. I always had 8/10 lenses on my 4x4 Betterlight Super 6k - same principle.

I also like the M2's as Canon put the Disposable back in DSLR's - if I kill one in the Helo - it's not a huge $$ loss.

Exactly. The minute cost is a factor for someone who only / mainly shoots landscapes, the 5D mk2 is a huge winner.

This debate is going to go in plenty of more circles, but the bottom line is that the 5D mk3 makes no significant leaps forward in image quality. The leaps are 90-99% in the body performance itself. Ergo, if you focus manually 90% of the time and are willing to forego bells and whistles because you're on a budget, the 5D mk2 wins.

Let me put it this way: The money you save by getting a mk2 can go towards a Zeiss 21mm Distagon or something. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I didn't shoot a lot of night sports with my 5D2, and none so far with my 5D3, so maybe you have something there. But I have shot a good amount of low light stuff with both and I am digging my 5D3 more.

sure, the 5D3 is the choice for weddings, low light conditions, etc. -- the excellent AF certainly helps too
  • jonkulljonkull Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I'm surprised this thread is still going. I picked up the 5D3 shortly after posting and couldn't be happier. I haven't been able to do much with it as I'm stuck at home recovering from a motorcycle accident but just from the handful of snapshots I've taken of my son around the house I can already see that it's a step up from my 40D...especially the focus. Since I have no experience with the 5D2 even if I'm 'missing out' on something I'll never know it. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited November 18, 2012
    jonkull wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread is still going. ...

Congratulations on the Canon 5D MKIII. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your injuries.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ag NO3Ag NO3 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2012
    I am about to retire my EOS 5D original after 7 years of exemplary service. Given the cheap prices for a run-out MkII I was very tempted to save a buck and settle for the MkII — I am sure it is a fine beast. Then I wondered about waiting for the 6D which will launch at about the same price as the run-out MkIIs but when I had a play with a buddy's 5D MkII and read a bit about the differences in construction my mind was made up.

As luck would have it, I had a day of studio shooting last Friday and both my batteries died. The owner of the hire studio loaned me his 1DS Mk III and I completed my assignment with it. I also learned that I certainly don't wish to buy into that big beefy territory. Which is a great comfort to be aware of.

Chers,

Walter
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited November 19, 2012
    Ag NO3 wrote: »
    I am about to retire my EOS 5D original after 7 years of exemplary service. Given the cheap prices for a run-out MkII I was very tempted to save a buck and settle for the MkII — I am sure it is a fine beast. Then I wondered about waiting for the 6D which will launch at about the same price as the run-out MkIIs but when I had a play with a buddy's 5D MkII and read a bit about the differences in construction my mind was made up.

As luck would have it, I had a day of studio shooting last Friday and both my batteries died. The owner of the hire studio loaned me his 1DS Mk III and I completed my assignment with it. I also learned that I certainly don't wish to buy into that big beefy territory. Which is a great comfort to be aware of.

Chers,

Walter

The Canon 5D MKII is still a significant improvement in several regards over the original Canon 5D.

Not sure which way your mind was made up, but for my purposes the lack of an FP/HSS mode, slower flash shutter speed (indicating a lesser grade shutter) and finally the lack of a PC flash connector, all combine on the 6D to be less than I would consider or recommend.

For "general" photography and even for "indie" style video the Canon 6D should be fine, but if you want to consider outdoor portraiture I would much rather recommend the 5D MKII.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Ag NO3 wrote: »

Chers,

Walter

For the last couple of days Canon had the 5D2 refurbished on sale for $1,300, it's now "out of stock" - I'm still waiting to see how the 6D looks
  • JAmadoPhotographyJAmadoPhotography Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    I am currently asking myself the same question. I have a 7d and want to upgrade to a full frame. I'm looking at the III because of the AF and high ISO. I think I'm going to wait a couple months though because there are rumors about an entry level full frame camera! We'll see!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    I am currently asking myself the same question. I have a 7d and want to upgrade to a full frame. I'm looking at the III because of the AF and high ISO. I think I'm going to wait a couple months though because there are rumors about an entry level full frame camera! We'll see!

You mean this one?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

5D2 is cheaper right now, while they last. The 5D2's center AF point is very good, but the rest are nearly worthless. The 6D looks like its center point will be even better, but it also has the inferior and presumably useless line-type sensors at the outer points. But that is your "entry level full frame" Canon for the time being. The 5D3 has 41 cross-type sensors, and the AF is awesome, but you pay for what you get.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.