This confirms what I have been saying

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited December 4, 2005 in Cameras
Fujifilm FinePix S9500 - Test conclusion
Kai Thon, DIWA's test manager comments: "The FinePix S9500 is a compact package that will solve most photographic challenges from virtually any photographer, professional and amateur alike. It is also very budget-friendly, considering the price of any 28-300 mm f/2.8-4.9 zoom lens with super macro capability as close as 1 cm, not to forget the well reputed Super CCD HR image sensor with 9 Mp resolution and many professional-like features. DIWA experts found the FinePix S9500 to be a perfect assembly of imaging essentials built into a user-friendly body at a very competitive price."

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Fujifilm FinePix S9500 - Test conclusion
    Kai Thon, DIWA's test manager comments: "The FinePix S9500 is a compact package that will solve most photographic challenges from virtually any photographer, professional and amateur alike. It is also very budget-friendly, considering the price of any 28-300 mm f/2.8-4.9 zoom lens with super macro capability as close as 1 cm, not to forget the well reputed Super CCD HR image sensor with 9 Mp resolution and many professional-like features. DIWA experts found the FinePix S9500 to be a perfect assembly of imaging essentials built into a user-friendly body at a very competitive price."

Regards, Nicholas
    *grin* you sound like you keep having to justify it to yourself, not us. mwink.gif

The 9500 seems to be the new 828. If I needed a walkaround smaller than my 10D, I'd probably buy one. I was impressed when I tried the white box.

I think the rest of us are happy with the kits that we have.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Nicholas,

Why your obsession with the S9000? You have 15 posts with the name of this camera in the title. While I think it is great that you love your camera, this is not really the type of site that gets overly hung up on what gear you have. Your posts like "Flowers with my S9000" could simply be titled "Flowers".

We get it. You love your S9000. You don't need to justify your choice to the rest of us. Just take the pictures and share them.
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    :soapbox :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 :lol4

52580216.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Why your obsession with the S9000?
    Nicholas is a man who loves his camera - really loves his camera! Good for him. He's about convinced me.

For sale: Nikon D70s, lots of Nikon stuff, Lenses etc . . .

Wait, never mind. Whew, I almost did something I might later regret . . .eek7.gif

Keep shooting Nick!! thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Let see some sports photography from it, i have the s7000 aswell as a 10D and the s7000 is crap at sport great for landscapes
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 21, 2005
    Image sensor size and pixel well size matters. A lot.thumb.gif

That is why the APS and larger sensor size cameras will continue to be favored by many photographers.

AF capture speed and shutter lag are critical factors to sports shooters and street shooters also. I'd love to have a Leica like APS sensor powered range finder digital camera, but it is not here yet I think :): But I think we won't have to wait much longer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    DIWA Gold ..S9000
    Why is it those who never post images make personal attacks?

I post my s9000 images to share with others considering the camera.

As far as actual "usability" of a camera, my posts and review are far more valuable to those new to photography and that new photographers should not be led astray by those posters who post only their ego rather than their photography.
    I believe I have been quite helpful to many readers measured by their responses to me.

This Ego group was never on Digital Grin until recently.

I will have no more of this.

Goodbye. Nicholas
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005

Goodbye. Nicholas

Hey Nick - don't pack up yer bags yet. We welcome all types of cameras and shooters here - but ya gotta realize that folks are free to post their feelings - and we, as posters, need to be tough enough to take it!

Hope you'll stay and contribute.
    edited November 22, 2005
    Goodbye. Nicholas
    Stick around, Nicholas
    Everybody's welcome in the pool.
    My camera. . . your camera . . .pinhole camera. Ford, chevy, toyota. Everybody has their favorite. You've made strong claims of support of your Fuji - many valid ones. But a challenge or two never hurts. I have no doubt that you picked the right camera for your needs and others have benefited from your opinions, I'm sure.

Keep posting and keep shooting!

By the way, compared to others, this is a pretty ego-free and friendly forum to hang around in:

Other photo forums - :argue :beatwax :smack :duel :hang :whip

Dgrin - beer.gif :stud :sweet :crazy 10944573-Ti.gif :jose :smooch iloveyou.gif :slurp friday.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005

This Ego group was never on Digital Grin until recently.

Goodbye. Nicholas
    Ugh!

Niholas, don't take these discussions so personally. This is a pretty lighthearted and friendly site. Your photography is certainly welcome and appreciated here. Just go a little lighter on the preaching about the gear. It's not just about the gear.
    edited November 22, 2005
    Stick around, Nicholas
    Everybody's welcome in the pool.
    My camera. . . your camera . . .pinhole camera. Ford, chevy, toyota. Everybody has their favorite. You've made strong claims of support of your Fuji - many valid ones. But a challenge or two never hurts. I have no doubt that you picked the right camera for your needs and others have benefited from your opinions, I'm sure.

Keep posting and keep shooting!

By the way, compared to others, this is a pretty ego-free and friendly forum to hang around in:

Other photo forums - :argue :beatwax :smack :duel :hang :whip

Dgrin - beer.gif :stud :sweet :crazy 10944573-Ti.gif :jose :smooch iloveyou.gif :slurp friday.gif
    So true!

Stay around Nick, we were just razzin ya.

That, and I don't know where the comment about people who don't post photos comes from. True I haven't posted many of my pics lately, but I absolutely LOVE posting my photos.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005

I post my s9000 images to share with others considering the camera.
    Well, from my observations... you did the same things when you got the 828. It's just transparent (at least to me) some peoples insecurities. If you really need to justify the camera, it's not really to us. As was stated, most (if not all) of us are quite happy with our selections.
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Fuji missed shutter lag

27822618-M.jpg

Canon 10D
    41221035-M.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Image sensor size and pixel well size matters. A lot.thumb.gif

That is why the APS and larger sensor size cameras will continue to be favored by many photographers.

AF capture speed and shutter lag are critical factors to sports shooters and street shooters also. I'd love to have a Leica like APS sensor powered range finder digital camera, but it is not here yet I think :): But I think we won't have to wait much longer.

Isn't this it?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=epson+%22r-d1%22&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=unknown

But would you rather have a 5D for the price?
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:

I already own Canon lenses, what would you do??

I read the review of the RD-1 and was intrigued by it. The price did put me off though. Not sure why really, the 5D's price did not put me off, but then a full frame SLR is a lot more hardware to construct than an APS sensor range finder.

The RD-1 review is here http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/epson-rd1.shtml

I stand by my statement that I don't think it is really here yet, but the Epson RD-2 might just be it. Just think if it had useable ISO 3200 or 6400. Hmmm... Just the thing for more vampire shooting :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I stand by my statement that I don't think it is really here yet, but the Epson RD-2 might just be it. Just think if it had useable ISO 3200 or 6400. Hmmm... Just the thing for more vampire shooting :):

Leica glass? I think it'd need full frame and 12+MP before it'd give the 5D a run for the money, though. I'm not sure Epson is the company to do that. Leica/Panasonic could if they wanted to (well if Panasonic wanted to.)
    If not now, when?
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    I agree with the others, a P&S isn't really going to give a dSLR a run for its money. It may give other P&S's its fair share, but your trying to compare apples to oranges when you compare the two.
    edited November 27, 2005
    Apples & orangs ( unfair comparison )
    gsgary wrote:
    Fuji missed shutter lag

27822618-M.jpg

Canon 10D
    41221035-M.jpg

One should not compare a photo's focus shot by panning a subject with a photo in which the camera is steady and only the subject is moving.
    For the latter there are many variables which could lead to poor focus, including a camera's shutterlag ( but not that of the S9000 in knowledgeable hands ).

Regards, Nicholas
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    One should not compare a photo's focus shot by panning a subject with a photo in which the camera is steady and only the subject is moving.
    For the latter there are many variables which could lead to poor focus, including a camera's shutterlag ( but not that of the S9000 in knowledgeable hands ).

Regards, Nicholas
    Quite realistic. The shutter lag is what was being displayed... and it's quite a bit different between the 2 different types of cameras. gsgary had a very good example.
    edited November 28, 2005
    Apples & oranges
    Seymore wrote:
    Quite realistic. The shutter lag is what was being displayed... and it's quite a bit different between the 2 different types of cameras. gsgary had a very good example.
    Perhaps you are unaware of the following:

When panning a subject your autufocus points are on the subject for a longer period than when your camera is still and your subject is moving.

You can not use these different examples as a test of a camer'as shutterlag. If he was panning with the S9000 the image would probably be in focus. And if the Canon was held still, the question would be would its shutter lag capture the subject.

Regards, Nicholas
    edited November 28, 2005
    Perhaps you are unaware of the following:

When panning a subject your autufocus points are on the subject for a longer period than when your camera is still and your subject is moving.

You can not use these different examples as a test of a camer'as shutterlag. If he was panning with the S9000 the image would probably be in focus. And if the Canon was held still, the question would be would its shutter lag capture the subject.

Regards, Nicholas
    Actually, technically, the first photo taken by the fuji would be *more* likely to be in focus, as the camera's pan would reverse at the apex of the corner, providing a moment where the camera and bikes are in zero-motion.

And no, if the canon was held still, the "shutter-lag" as you put it, wouldn't capture the subject, but if the shutter-SPEED was up high enough, it would.

I think we're all arguing about incorrect terms here.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 28, 2005
    That's what I said
    Actually, technically, the first photo taken by the fuji would be *more* likely to be in focus, as the camera's pan would reverse at the apex of the corner, providing a moment where the camera and bikes are in zero-motion.

And no, if the canon was held still, the "shutter-lag" as you put it, wouldn't capture the subject, but if the shutter-SPEED was up high enough, it would.

I think we're all arguing about incorrect terms here.
    Apples & Oranges.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    I have no idea what the argument is about...think i will start again.
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I have no idea what the argument is about...think i will start again.
    Mine's bigger than your's. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2005
    Apples & Oranges.
    What the hell kind of reply is that?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    What the hell kind of reply is that?
    Its a last ditch efford to try to settle in his mind that his S9000 is better then our dSLR
    edited November 29, 2005
    Its a last ditch efford to try to settle in his mind that his S9000 is better then our dSLR
    Yeah, not to mention rude.

This thread's dead. Can a mod delete it please?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Yeah, not to mention rude.

This thread's dead. Can a mod delete it please?
    I gotta tell you that I have quickly reviewed the posts in this thread and what I see is Nick posting a positive comment about his camera and then getting "jumped on".

I disagreed with Nick earlier about the S9500 being a "DSLR killer" but I didn't see him proclaiming its superiority over any other camera in this thread. He seems like a person happy with his camera. Perhap some stuff from earlier threads were carried over to this one. If that's the case it wasn't Nick who was doing it.

Instead of having a mod delete it (I am tempted to delete all the responses to the initial post) why don't we discuss the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the camera (every camera has them you know) in way that's respectful to each other's feelings and in a way that's constructive.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 30, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    I gotta tell you that I have quickly reviewed the posts in this thread and what I see is Nick posting a positive comment about his camera and then getting "jumped on".

I disagreed with Nick earlier about the S9500 being a "DSLR killer" but I didn't see him proclaiming its superiority over any other camera in this thread. He seems like a person happy with his camera. Perhap some stuff from earlier threads were carried over to this one. If that's the case it wasn't Nick who was doing it.

Instead of having a mod delete it (I am tempted to delete all the responses to the initial post) why don't we discuss the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the camera (every camera has them you know) in way that's respectful to each other's feelings and in a way that's constructive.
    Whatever works. From previous forum-modding, it used to be easier to just nuke the thread and let the poster re-post it, with the knowledge that people would discuss rationally, rather than lash out.

I'll start with my 10D though:

Strengths:
    9-frame RAW buffer.
    Magnesium body
    Silent shutter

Weaknesses:
    1.6x crop
    Noise (though better than comparable nikon)
    slow write speed (so the 9 frames take forever to empty)

Overall, I'd rather have a 5D. It'll be my next purchase, except some (more) good glass.

I'd kill for a good deal on a 16-35 f/2.8

... oh, and I wish canon would bring back the silent shutter that the 10D and the Elan 7NE had.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 30, 2005
    this thread has become . . .

:deadhorse

of course, I guess I'm guilty of still reading it.
    john w

Edward Steichen

This discussion has been closed.