Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #115 (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited November 13, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #115

Welcome to Round #115 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, October 29th, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, November 12, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Since everyone has already partied this weekend and the spooky times will be over in a couple days. I decided to forego doing a holiday theme this year in favour of a theme that I have wanted to see done for awhile.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish is a tribute to the work of one of my favorite childhood authors.
Your goal is to capture an image that reminds us of the famous rhymer.
Dr. Seuss of course.

Please no long rhyming titles, in fact keep your title to a maximum of four words only.
You do not have to use ideas from the book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, you can choose whichever Dr. Seuss book was/is your favorite.

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters
Challenge RULES. :deal

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the
rules!

Comments

• Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Gosh, Sean, this is a crazy but splendid challenge!

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2012
    Gosh, Sean, this is a crazy but splendid challenge!

PJ.

In my books crazy is good mwink.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Oh! the places we'll go with this!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    A moment of panic, then... Inspiration! wings.gif

Then, panic again as I realized -- what I want to shoot is a place I won't be going to until the 12th.
    Meaning, I will have to get something usable, come home and process it and get it all loaded before the deadline.

Thanks Sean, I can always count on you to push me to my limits of sanity. thumb.gif
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Looking forward to this creative and clever challenge.
  • Options
    marantophotographymarantophotography Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Wow, this is going to be a tough one for me. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entry!
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Well, now....this ought to get the ol' creative juices roaring in our veins....
    great idea for a challenge.....
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    And this just in:
    Six-year NYPD veteran Gilberto Valle, 28, who worked in Harlem, was arrested Wednesday by federal officers on a conspiracy to kidnap charge Wednesday. The U.S. Attorney’s office said Valle conspired with multiple, unnamed people “to kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and cannibalize a number of women.”

In what law enforcement sources confirmed was his profile on the online dating site OKCupid, Valle describes himself as a “ very calm individual” with “an endless supply of hilarious short stories from work that can't be made up.” Valle lists his favorite book as “Green Eggs and Ham,”....

PJ.

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    And this just in:

Ummmmm not at all what I had in mind for imagery today, tomorrow or totally eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    Exactly! You know I don't believe in coincidence but this was just too much. ne_nau.gif

PJ.

sherstone wrote: »
    Ummmmm not at all what I had in mind for imagery today, tomorrow or totally eek7.gif

• Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,954 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Does the title have to be a rhyme if it is from a Dr. Seuss book?
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Does the title have to be a rhyme if it is from a Dr. Seuss book?

No it does not have to be a rhyme. The only stipulation is a maximum of 4 words, no more.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    One more question: Can we use a well known Dr. Seuss quote or does it have to be a line from a book? I found one, but can't verify that it came from a book.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    One more question: Can we use a well known Dr. Seuss quote or does it have to be a line from a book? I found one, but can't verify that it came from a book.

I will not disqualify it but I recommend keeping it to something that a majority will know and equate to the Dr.

If you feel it is very well known and recognizable then go for it.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    The way I read it, the title doesn't have to be a quote from a book, it just has to be more more than 4 words.
    And the photo simply has to remind you of Dr Seuss... be Dr Seuss inspired.

*Boy that was timing... must have hit enter at the same time.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Thanks! Donna - did you mean 'four words or less"?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Thanks! Donna - did you mean 'four words or less"?

Laughing.gif, yesterday was a bad day... I should know better than to speak or write on days like that.
    Yes, I meant to say "No more than 4 words".
    I should have just deleted when I saw Sean answer you at the same time I attempted to. His answer has me rethinking my original idea for a title. :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Can you spoof a book title? As in, it's almost the title?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    Can you spoof a book title? As in, it's almost the title?

The title of your image is totally up to you (maximum four words)

If your image makes us think of Dr. Seuss or one of his books then you are on your way to Solla Sollew.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    I thought I would cast my husband as Bartholomew Cubbins as in The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, but he wouldn't cooperate. I couldn't think of a way to illustrate And to Think that I saw it on Mulberry Street. (These last two are the early Seuss books which you guys probably don't even know or remember but they were the Dr Seuss books of my childhood). So then there was the Cat in the Hat, but the cat wouldn't cooperate either, and my husband wouldn't hold him still so I could put a hat on him.

Oh well..
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    Maybe you need to do some "foot" work.... or maybe run to the zoo ??? Or find a fish? Oh how I wish I could find a fish. Maybe a dish with some ham or eggs? Or maybe we are just digging for dregs?
    Maybe a sock or two? Maybe that will do?
    I want you go now, Just go now! To find 30 tigers to lick, but don't get sick or you might get the sneeches.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    I thought about the zoo,
    for Horton Hears a Who.
    But the closest zoo is in D.C.
    and that is WAY too far for ME.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2012
    I have my Title! And I hope to have the photo work out....it's a one shot, already too late to replicate, and couldn't get the model I wanted kind of deal..... I LOVE the title, I hope I can make my image live up to it!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2012
    I entered my photo, and then typed a comment. I meant for it to be for the photo, but accidentally made it gallery. Can anyone go back in and remove the gallery-wide comment? Sorry about that!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2012
    Done

rteest42 wrote: »
    I entered my photo, and then typed a comment. I meant for it to be for the photo, but accidentally made it gallery. Can anyone go back in and remove the gallery-wide comment? Sorry about that!
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    I'm disappointed there are not more entries with only a few hours left to submit. It was a great contest idea, the ones that have been put up have been good and fun to follow. Hope lots are waiting to the last minute to submit.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    I am also disappointed. I haven't had time to participate in the last several months, but I still enjoy looking at what everyone else comes up with. I thought this one would generate a lot of interesting images, but there is only a few. :cry

Sherry
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, my idea fell through when the trip to the Dallas Arboretum I had planned for today fell through. It probably would have been tricky to get home and get things processed in time anyway. I need to learn to have a back up plan I suppose...

There is a Chihuly Art sculpture exhibit there right now. I was there on the 21st and the it was the first thing I thought of when the challenge was posted. I still hadn't come up with a name, but hoped it would come to me. Chihuly certainly feels very Seuss-like!

A couple of examples:
    IMG_5119-1_d_d2_l_l2_fused2-S.jpgIMG_5041_2_3_tonemapped2-S.jpg

and the gallery is here, mostly just fun shots, but there are a few in there I am pretty happy with. I am determined to get back this week and hoping that the leaves are still on the trees for me. I wanted to re-shoot the first shot in the gallery after the maple leaves turned red.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    I am so glad I checked this evening - I was thinking the challenge ended next Monday! I was all ready to go into work tomorrow & get a shot of a kitten in a mitten for this challenge; oh well. At least I caught a shot last week while I was reworking some horse costumes or I wouldn't have anything for this challenge. Great theme, just a busy time!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/