Options

Mini-challenge #154 : Things with Wings

13»

Comments

• Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    Thanks gentlemen. You're correct of course. When I was more or less intimidated away from the Osprey shots and went to the garden I ended up having a blast trying to get those bee's/wasps/hornets to "pose" for me just so. It occurred to me later that there was a virtual National Parks worth of material in a simple 20x50 flower garden. I know there's another "level" of DOF speed and sharpness out there with the right lens and compared to the big tele's is very affordable. As a bonus, I also had my 11 year old daughter clicking away on an older point and shoot with a half way decent macro setting and she had a ball. She needed a bit more luck with the slower lens of course but she did hit a few nice ones. And now she's hooked! Time to do a little research!

Oh and here's a non-eligable fixed wing I caught yesterday afternoon In St Augustine Beach.

p1262395732-4.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    just for ideas

TIME TO GOOO

JWS_4912%20copy-L.jpg

OK, Jeff - I have some time this evening to comment and I will offer: Wow - a Coot that is getting ready to be airborne. Awesome.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    superduckz wrote: »
    UPDATE: I had thoughts of scouting a local Osprey nest but after seeing the jaw dropping wildlife photos already submitted I decided to go another direction. For bird photo's on par with what's on here.. well...to paraphrase sheriff Brody in the movie Jaws, I think I'm gonna need a bigger lens. So I guess till then it's time to get small. I'm pretty happy with these. Especially for the kit lens.

p1254606140-4.jpg

Steve - The first of these that features the bee's wing giving a view to the flower bloom behind it is just off the charts good!

Eric

• Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I actually have some for this one! clap.gif

Lisa - Wow - is that a long-billed Dowitcher in the second of your gorgeous shots?

Eric

• Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    zoomn wrote: »
    1. Hummer

2. Butterfly

3. Harris hawk

Geez! All three of these are super, and a Harris's Hawk?!? Just wow.

Eric

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    kscooper wrote: »
    Lisa - Wow - is that a long-billed Dowitcher in the second of your gorgeous shots?

I wasn't quite sure what it was to be quite frank. I had tried to identify it, but the one bird that I had come up with wasn't supposed to be here on the west coast. So, I looked up the long-billed Dowitcher and it seems to be a good match since they are shore birds that live west of the Mississippi. Thanks for helping me identify it. I hadn't seen these before... but I had driven down to Imperial Beach for sun-rise pictures of their unique pier and the shore was filled with these beautiful birds.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    kscooper wrote: »
    steve - the first of these that features the bee's wing giving a view to the flower bloom behind it is just off the charts good!

thanks! :d
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Well looks like we had some fun and learned a little also wings.gif

I have bin keeping an eye on this thread ,it will close in less than 24hrs and thank you all for the participationthumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    Let's see if I can sneak these in under the wire.

1. Pollen Picking
    7652a-L.jpg

2. The distance that Canada Geese look best
    reedsndux4-L.jpg

3. Soon
    vulture2-L.jpg
    Jay
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    It is now closed and I need to make a decision eek7.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Just returned from Oz, and I know, I know that this challenge is already over (though I've yet to view the finalists), but just couldn't help myself from saying...

grandmaR - that cardinal pic is absolutely BREATHTAKING!

Dyanne
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Just returned from Oz, and I know, I know that this challenge is already over (though I've yet to view the finalists), but just couldn't help myself from saying...

grandmaR - that cardinal pic is absolutely BREATHTAKING!

Dyanne

Thank you very much. It was an example of serendipity - a lot of my photos are like that in that I ddin't set out to take that photo - it just happened to be in front of me.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”