Options

T4i vs. 60D which one for next camera

2»

Comments

• Options
    jenniferannjenniferann Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Wow, I see the bundles for the 7D just jumped in price about $200! I thought Canon was extending the rebates?
    I was going to get a bundle with a lens and memory cards, and spare battery for a bit more, but now I am not sure I can swing it.
    Anyone think the price will drop after Xmas?
  • Options
    shep315shep315 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Wow, I see the bundles for the 7D just jumped in price about $200! I thought Canon was extending the rebates?
    I was going to get a bundle with a lens and memory cards, and spare battery for a bit more, but now I am not sure I can swing it.

I've been watching a few places Jenn and prices are climbing on items I have had my eyes on as well. Sure hope someone starts a good sale.
    My Smugmug
    An artist turned amateur photograher
    Canon 450D : Canon 50mm f/1.8 : 85mm f/1.8 USM : 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM : 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II : 270EX II Speedlite : Raynox DCR150
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    I was looking at bundles on Adorama, I see the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM with it but I am also seeing this one: EF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is this a typo? Does this lens exist? I cannot find it alone. Weird.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited December 5, 2012
    I was looking at bundles on Adorama, I see the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM with it but I am also seeing this one: EF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is this a typo? Does this lens exist? I cannot find it alone. Weird.

The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS does exist (notice the "EF-S" designation) as a super-zoom. It covers wide-angle through telephoto, and it's designed to be a convenience zoom of reasonable cost and reasonable image quality. Nothing to recommend it for weddings and events.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy, of the two which would you prefer? Mostly for every day shooting, but I am very picky about image quality.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    ... I am very picky about image quality.

In that case, go with my previous recommendations:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM (with or without IS)
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM

Neither the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM nor the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is all that special and I neither own nor recommend either for professional applications.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2012
    I love my 7D

I have been shooting with a 7D for a little over two years now, Had ONE issue with it in that time. I shoot local and some high exposure dirt track stock car racing under Mostly crappy lighting. I shoot A LOT at 1600-2000 ISO and have great results(most of the time).

I use a rented 70-200 2.8L non IS and it's absolutely a must for my shooting style. I have shot weddings with this combo also. I don't think you would be underwhelmed with the 7D at all.

With Prices being an Issue for you have you looked at this thread http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=228370 ? maybe you can get that ff 5DII?

I bought my 7D as a Kit with that 28-135 lens. If i had it to do over I would pass on that lens and spend some extra for a sigma 24-70 2.8 or similar. While it is a decent lens(the kit one) I had tons of issues with mine and error codes, Jumpy focusing, hard to focus(AF even in daylight). Now its a kit paperweight!
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2012
    What Ziggy said. For wedding work, do NOT try to skimp on the lens -you'll regret it.

The 7d is a more sophisticated machine, but the 60d is no slouch and there are some great bundle offers on it right now. That is a possible option for you if decent glass is pushing you outside your budget. I'd always rather have the 7d over any of the xxd cameras I've used, but the sensor *is* the same, after all, and it's certainly not a "bad" camera.....
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2012
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. My main objective is to upgrade my camera first, my XTi I feel I have outgrown and I would like something that has the capability to have higher iso settings. I guess I am getting carried away wanting new glass too!! One can always dream. I think if anything I will try the 50 1.4, I have never used a prime and I hear such great things about it. So now I am just hoping the price comes back down. Some day I will try a full frame camera, but right now I would not want to loose the lenses I have, why is it that they will not work with a full frame camera?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2012
    ... why is it that they will not work with a full frame camera?

On this page:

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

... scroll down until you see the section, "What is an EF-S lens?"
    ziggy53
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Lots of folks are busy on Thanksgiving with family stuff.

I recommend looking at the Canon 7D. It's within your price range (currently $1400USD, after instant savings) and available at both Adorama and B&H.

Compared to the Canon 60D it has the following major benefits for wedding photography:
    A more advanced, and potentially better, autofocus section. This can mean more "keepers", as it reduces OOF shots. Nothing kills a shot faster than lack of accurate focus. Also 19 cross-type AF points, vs 9 on the 60D.

A 100% viewfinder, vs 96% viewfinder. With the 7D you don't guess the coverage and then chiimp to see if you got what you thought you were shooting.

2 - Digic 4 image processors. This is part of what allows the 7D to have potentially better AF, compared to the 60D. One of the processors is dedicated to AF and metering functions, while the other handles the "after acquisition" chores. This means faster overall performance and handling.

I agree with Ziggy as far as the 7D being a great camera.

There are several bells and whistles on the 7D which I consider quite important and use all the time. However, they are seldom mentioned in reviews of the 7D.

First are the three User Selected Modes in which you can choose the various parameters needed for shooting in various venues, register those parameters to one of the three user selected modes, C1, C2 or C3. Then you can select all the parameters at once with a single turn of the mode dial.

I have my C1 mode set up for action shots using burst mode, and the various exposure and focus parameters I like for moving subjects. Then if I am shooting still subjects and a need to do a shot of a moving subject, all I need to do is switch the mode dial to C1. The 40D has 3 User Selected modes, the 50D has two while the 60D has only one. I will set up Modes C2 and C3 for the type of shooting I expect to be doing. As an example, I could have C2 set up for night shots on a tripod with mirror lock up and the various exposure and focus parameters I want. C3 could be set up for Auto Exposure Bracketing....

IMO, the xxD and 7D cameras also have better control systems including the quick control dial. I also find the top LCD quite handy for checking and adjusting my shooting parameters including monitoring my battery state and the number of remaining shots on my CF card.

I don't know if the Rebel or 60D cameras have the Quick Menu option but, I can select quick menu with a back button and it shows me all my shooting parameters. It is also easy to switch any of the parameters working through the Quick Menu.

However, I would suggest that the best feature of the 7D is the phenomenal auto focus capability of that camera. In the default setup, the camera has great autofocus but there are a number of wonderful options that really make autofocus with the 7D exciting.

Regarding the purchase of a refurbished camera... I purchased my first two DSLR cameras new and needed to send each in for service within the first 90 days of ownership. I purchased my last three DSLR cameras as Canon refurbished items and have had absolutely no problems with any of them. IMO, I have more faith in the quality control at the Canon service centers than the QC on the Canon assembly line...