Options

Disney World - What to Bring??

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited February 16, 2013 in Cameras
Doing the Disney World trip for the first time with my family. Kids are 10 and 7. Staying at the Polynesian. I'm torn as to what to bring. Here is my gear:

5D3
17-40L
24-70L
70-200/2.8LII
100/2

Considering buying either a 35/2 IS or a Fuji X100s for the trip.

Have you done the Disney trip with your DSLR? Are you glad you did? Do you wish you had brought something smaller?

Right now I am thinking of these possible combinations, in order of my current leaning:
  1. 5D3 + 35/2 + 100/2
  2. Fuji X100s only
  3. 5D3 + 24-70
  4. 5D3 + 17-40 + 100/2
  5. 5D3 + 17-40 + 70-200
  6. 5D3 + 24-70 + 70-200
I am torn between lightness+portability, and photo capability. I'd love to hear from some people who have been there!!
Thanks.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    I've been taking my SLR to WDW every year (sometimes twice) since 1999. Here are a few pointers:

1) Pack light. Nothing will ruin both your vacation experience and your photos quicker than lugging 30 pounds of photo gear around in the Florida heat and summer crowds, only to find at the end of the day that you didn't use most of what you were lugging.

2) Go bagless. WDW theme parks all have a mandatory bag inspection at the entrance. The lines for the bag inspection can be as long as the lines at the turnstiles, but if you're bagless, you can walk right past the inspection station through the Entrance for Guests With No Bags. Also, you won't have to lug 30 pounds of gear around all day, and you won't have a WDW security person pawing through your camera bag.

3) Charge, download, and backup every night. Whether you shoot 1,000 pics or 10, charge those batteries to full, download the pics, and back them up via upload or burn, every single night. Lost pics due to malfunction, lost/stolen gear, or accidental formating really, really stink.

4) Choose a comfortable carry system. Neck strap, harness, sling strap, whatever - make sure it's comfy enough to support your camera's weight all day without causing you shoulder or neck pain.

5) Bring BOTH cameras. I've had a camera fail on vacation; it wasn't fun. Luckily, I had a backup. EDITED TO ADD: Only carry one; leave the backup locked in your hotel room safe.

6) Bring a tripod and remote shutter release for fireworks, sunrises, and sunsets. The beach at Poly offers a terrific vantage point for Magic Kingdom fireworks, and you can bring your tripod into the parks as well (though I recommend leaving it in a locker during the day and retreiving it when it's time to set up). Sunrise and sunset are up to you, of course; I have gotten some lovely sunset pics in the Epcot Resorts area, shooting across Crescent Lake from Yacht and Beach Club toward the Boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin.

7) If you're actually thinking of buying - or renting - a new lens just for this trip, let me recommend a superzoom. No, superzoom quality is not at the level of a prime. But that higher quality is useless if the lens is in your bag and you can't grab it and change it fast enough to get the shot. Superzooms give you the widest flexibility in a highly dynamic, constantly changing shooting environment like a theme park vacation with your energetic, fast-moving young kids. My walkaround lens is a Canon EF-S 18-200IS. It's an awesome lens for vacations, all around, and while it will never give me as good a shot as a prime, it will give me a better shot any day of the week and twice on Saturday than a lens which is still in the bag while mine is on the camera!

8) Make some time in your schedule to relax, walk around with nothing to do but enjoy the scenery, and take pics of the resorts. And not just Polynesian, either; take the monorail to Contemporary and Grand Floridian, and absolutely make time to take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge! They are beautiful places and well worth a photowalk each. NOTE: They each also have dining and shopping options to keep the family busy while you stare through your camera lens.

9) Carry a lens cloth and some sort of weather protection for your camera everywhere you go. Florida's sunshine has a habit of turning liquid with little warning, not to mention the loose moisture from humid air mixed with air conditioning, and water rides and fountains everywhere, so your camera will get wet. To prevent it from getting SOAKED, take precautions. I use a simple meathod, the home-made camera poncho. Takes a few minutes to make, fits in your pocket, and saves your camera from drowning.

Whatever you decide, relax, smell the roses, and enjoy your vacation along with enjoying the photography.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Its been a number of years since I did this, and I believe it was my film SLR that was my option at the time. I have taken my dSLR on other trips to Europe, and on several cruises with my kids, and was grateful I did. However, Disney is a bit different. For one, its usually an enormous amount of walking. The other is that many rides don't allow you take take big bags with you, so that complicates things, needing to find a locker, or have someone not go. Finally, Disney is really about the experience with your kids, rather than the photo opps available.

When I look back at my photos, the ones we keep around are all shot on my wife's P&S. They are spontaneous shots, at the spur of the moment. Sure, I have lots of nice poses, etc that are wonderful, but its those moments, like ice cream all over the face, that are the best.

My recommendation, based on experience is to carry your smallest camera (the Fuji in your case) as your primary camera. If you have several days, where perhaps one day you will be going back to the Magic Kingdom to redo some things and catch a few things you missed, then perhaps take your dSLR on that day, to capture some nice shots. I have lots of nice shots of Epcot at night, but that was a short evening trip, where we walked there for dinner...so a bonus I suppose. But otherwise, you will be happier, as will your kids (AWWW Dad, not the camera again!).
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Out of your list the Fuji would easily be my first choice. I live nearby and go to a lot of theme parks. I'd say it depends on your goals. Personally (and now that they are so affordable) I'll never bring more than a quality superzoom Canon P&S because I'm there for the entertainment first and the photo's second. I prefer to travel light with a good camera than heavy with a great one. And to be honest, I have no trouble getting quality photo's in good light with a decent P&S. If you're helbent on a DSLR then yes, I'd agree that you should get your hands on the widest range zoom you can (and care to carry around all day) and roll from there. As far as fireworks etc as has been mentioned, there are always vantage points you can get to after heading back to the hotel to get a tripod and "real' camera. Enjoy the trip!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    bring your best pocket camera for the park. enjoy it with your kids. keep the SLR in the car if you need it for the parade or if you are sure you are not going to on rides at some point. it's disney world..you are not going to capture any NGC type shots in there!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    bring your best pocket camera for the park. enjoy it with your kids. keep the SLR in the car if you need it for the parade or if you are sure you are not going to on rides at some point. it's disney world..you are not going to capture any NGC type shots in there!

Agreed!
    I would definitely not enjoy lugging around a dSLR with any sort of lens at a theme park.
    I took my P&S and we got plenty of good pics!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    28 1.8 and 85 1.8 On a 6D. That's what I'd bring if I had any Canon gear at my disposal. 35 f/2 and 100 f/2 on the mk3 would do in a pinch. Although others do have a point, a P&S is often all you need. It's very liberating to just leave your main camera behind, and just enjoy things. Not everything needs to be photographed flawlessly. Life needs to be enjoyed.

One thing is for sure- unless I was going to go specifically for the goal of real photography, I'd leave a 24-70 and 70-200 in the hotel.

I might bring the 17-40 on just one night, for fireworks and other fun stuff, but most of the time I'd leave it out.

BTW, it's not exactly the same but I go to Disneyland here in So Cal all the time, and have shot thousands of images there in all kinds of capacities, from casual to equipment testing to professional portraits. Here's a few shots:

http://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-28mm-f1-8-afs-g-n-lens-review

nikon-28mm-18-review-disneyland-5.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    #5 or a waterproof P&S

have a great trip
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Another option - I love my 5D2 and lenses, but personally for travel / personal needs I had a great time on my wedding/honeymoon trip with just the Sony RX100.... for a pocket sized camera it's darn capable of taking some amazing photos! (and I had a great photog take care of the DSLR photos for our wedding day of course, haha)
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    Thank you all for the very thoughtful responses, especially WillCAD, that was above and beyond. Excellent point about going bagless. Having to wait in that line will not go over well with the fam, and I like the bagless idea in general. That brings the choices down to:
    1. Fuji X100s
    2. 5D3 + 35/2 IS
    3. 5D3 + 24-70L
    I have an S100 that I will bring and give to the wife. The RX100 is a decent idea, but I'm not sure it's $650 better than the S100 I already have. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll just put it towards an X100s.

The 24-70 is a heavy thing that I don't think I want to lug around and have swinging about. So basically I am down to the 35/2 IS or the X100s. The X100s would fit in a large pocket. I know this from carrying my old Leica IIIf. I think that seals the deal!

Now, who wants to buy my 35L?? I was planning on selling it to downsize to the 35/2 IS, but I think I'd like to try life with the X100s...
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I've lived this question -- I'd grab my X100 and leave the DSLR at home (or in the hotel). Nice and light with great IQ. And I love shooting with primes, so that doesn't bother me. Take a little tripod if you want to shoot fireworks and you are set.

BTW, if you pick one up, would love your thoughts on the new X100s. After the firmware updates to the original, I found the camera to be outstanding.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,894 moderator
    edited February 4, 2013
    Without adding any specific recommendation, I can say that Disney World is one of those places where I truly appreciate the captured "video" of the event. Stills are great, but the video captures the life of the park and the emotions and drama of children. Video is what I watch to this day, and seeing my children when they were still young means everything.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    I love primes too. I agree about video, Ziggy.
    -Jack

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    I agree that a P&S is the way to go. You are there to be with your family, not separated by a camera. However if you are going to be there for multiple days with a Park Hopper having a DSLR to be able to go back and grab can be useful. I would also consider a zoom as talked about. But when I go on vacations I look at pictures with the family as capturing memories and a little out of sharp is okay. When I am going to do photography, which could be with the family, I pack accordingly.

Just remember to have fun, bring a hat, comfortable shoes, sunblock, and patience. Also something to keep in mind, anyone with a Disney badge can answer a question and many of the cast members have maps. Plus they will take your picture for you... if you ask them to.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Here are a few thoughts from taking my 50D to Disneyland last summer with the kids (almost 7 and 2 and a half):

- I was glad I had the 30/1.4 lens for shots inside the Blue Bayou at lunch.
    - Everywhere else I used the 24-105. I had the 70-200 in my bag for the first day, but left it in the hotel room the second one.
    - The photo bag wasn't a major limitation for me, but we had a stroller and a toddler. Any ride he could go on, I could take the camera. Any ride he couldn't, either I or my wife had to stay with him and could hang onto the camera if necessary.
    - For Anaheim in August, I really really appreciated having a 580EX for fill flash.
    - I wish I'd brought a tripod for the fireworks.
    - The bag line wasn't an issue for me, even at the height of the summer season.

If I were only taking one lens, it would be the 24-105.

Given the options you listed, I'd take the 35/2 and rent/borrow a 24-105. :)

--Ian
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Thank you all for the very thoughtful responses, especially WillCAD, that was above and beyond. Excellent point about going bagless. Having to wait in that line will not go over well with the fam, and I like the bagless idea in general. That brings the choices down to:
    1. Fuji X100s
    2. 5D3 + 35/2 IS
    3. 5D3 + 24-70L
    I have an S100 that I will bring and give to the wife. The RX100 is a decent idea, but I'm not sure it's $650 better than the S100 I already have. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll just put it towards an X100s.

The 24-70 is a heavy thing that I don't think I want to lug around and have swinging about. So basically I am down to the 35/2 IS or the X100s. The X100s would fit in a large pocket. I know this from carrying my old Leica IIIf. I think that seals the deal!

Now, who wants to buy my 35L?? I was planning on selling it to downsize to the 35/2 IS, but I think I'd like to try life with the X100s...

Any camera that has manual control and a decent ISO 1600 / 3200, and you're good to go. If this is a multi-day trip to the park, I'd bring the 5D3 and 35 f/2 on one day and the P&S all other days. More or less...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    codrus wrote: »
    Here are a few thoughts from taking my 50D to Disneyland last summer with the kids (almost 7 and 2 and a half):

- I was glad I had the 30/1.4 lens for shots inside the Blue Bayou at lunch.
    - Everywhere else I used the 24-105. I had the 70-200 in my bag for the first day, but left it in the hotel room the second one.
    - The photo bag wasn't a major limitation for me, but we had a stroller and a toddler. Any ride he could go on, I could take the camera. Any ride he couldn't, either I or my wife had to stay with him and could hang onto the camera if necessary.
    - For Anaheim in August, I really really appreciated having a 580EX for fill flash.
    - I wish I'd brought a tripod for the fireworks.
    - The bag line wasn't an issue for me, even at the height of the summer season.

If I were only taking one lens, it would be the 24-105.

Given the options you listed, I'd take the 35/2 and rent/borrow a 24-105. :)

--Ian

I've found that the best way to carry around a camera is on a Spider Holster. Love that baby for casual shooting! I have both the "Black Widow" model, as well as the pro model. The Black Widow is great for putting on your belt and just slapping on a DSLR with a small lens, or even a P&S...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    Any camera that has manual control and a decent ISO 1600 / 3200, and you're good to go.

I'm thinking that's the X100s.
    If this is a multi-day trip to the park, I'd bring the 5D3 and 35 f/2 on one day and the P&S all other days. More or less...

That's pretty much the plan. Although it would be the 5D3 + 24-70, because if I get the X100s I won't be getting the 35/2.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    I agree that a P&S is the way to go. You are there to be with your family, not separated by a camera. However if you are going to be there for multiple days with a Park Hopper having a DSLR to be able to go back and grab can be useful. I would also consider a zoom as talked about. But when I go on vacations I look at pictures with the family as capturing memories and a little out of sharp is okay. When I am going to do photography, which could be with the family, I pack accordingly.

Just remember to have fun, bring a hat, comfortable shoes, sunblock, and patience. Also something to keep in mind, anyone with a Disney badge can answer a question and many of the cast members have maps. Plus they will take your picture for you... if you ask them to.

Good general Disney points; I neglected to mention some of them:

* Any WDW Cast Member (that's what they call their employees) will take your photo with your camera for you if you ask, unless their duties prevent it.

* Maps of the parks are available at racks at each park entrance, at the front desk of every WDW resort (that's what they call all of their hotels), at Guest Relations windows, and at most of the gift shop checkout counters. You can also view them on my web site (I've been collecting them for 20 years so I started keeping the current versions online to share):
    http://willcad.org/disney_maps.shtml

* Disney has its own photographers throughout the parks in a system called PhotoPass. PP Photogs take you pic and give you a barcoded card, which they scan to associate your pics with the card. This part is free; you later log onto a web site and enter the card number to view the pics and buy prints, albums, or other products.

Jack, in looking over your gear list I think you've got it pretty well nailed, but I still highly recommend borrowing or renting a superzoom walkaround lens for your 5D3. Renting an EF-S 18-200 like mine seems fairly reasonable form a place like LensRentals.com, probably less than $80 for the week including shipping.

I also recommend that you take off the battery grip if you have one. I leave the battery grip off of my 50D when I tour the parks, but I do carry 2 spare batteries. I rarely need the spares because I shoot an average of less than 300 shots per day and don't use the LCD a lot, so one battery usually gets me through the day. Trust me - the battery grip, useful as it is when shooting a wedding or party, is dead weight when touring a theme park!
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    Thanks again, good info. However EF-S lenses don't work on FF bodies like the 5D3.
    -Jack

• Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    You mention the X100, so I'll throw out there that I have an X10 that has replaced my digital SLR. The EXR sensor is not a gimmick, it is absolutely magical in low light and high contrast situations. The highlight retention in bright light is particularly surprising. You may find the F2.0-2.8, 28-112 equiv zoom allows you to leave the rest of the gear behind, compared to the fixed focal length of the X100. Caveat: EXR modes are 6MP output, so frame carefully if you want a large print.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    We did Disneyland last summer, I carried my 7D with the 580EX II for a few of days, then did the point shoot for the last day. I didn't always carry the 7D all day, since we were able to ride the monorail back to the hotel and drop stuff off throughout the day, but I had it all day and night for the first two days. No bag either.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2013
    Jeffro wrote: »
    We did Disneyland last summer, I carried my 7D with the 580EX II for a few of days, then did the point shoot for the last day. I didn't always carry the 7D all day, since we were able to ride the monorail back to the hotel and drop stuff off throughout the day, but I had it all day and night for the first two days. No bag either.

Ok thanks, but I didn't get your point.
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    You mention the X100, so I'll throw out there that I have an X10 that has replaced my digital SLR. The EXR sensor is not a gimmick, it is absolutely magical in low light and high contrast situations. The highlight retention in bright light is particularly surprising. You may find the F2.0-2.8, 28-112 equiv zoom allows you to leave the rest of the gear behind, compared to the fixed focal length of the X100. Caveat: EXR modes are 6MP output, so frame carefully if you want a large print.

Cool, the X10 is a great camera, but I'm feeling snobbish about the small sensor.

I'm really torn between getting an X100s and a 35/2 IS. The former = better portability and discreteness, the latter = Full Frame greatness. What is the answer??? ne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    -Jack

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    If you purchase the Fugi X100 you should consider buying a spare battery,but personally I would look for something a bit better for your money.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Ok thanks, but I didn't get your point.

I wasn't trying to make a point, I was telling you what I did with my gear while at Disneyland.

I loved having my 7D/17-40L f4/580EX II combo, but I also made sure I didn't let it bog me down, and left it behind from time to time, to make sure I enjoyed my visit.....still no point though.

Take what you want....your needs may vary from the needs of others.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    lensmole wrote: »
    If you purchase the Fugi X100 you should consider buying a spare battery,but personally I would look for something a bit better for your money.

Huh? Like what, a Leica?
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to make a point, I was telling you what I did with my gear while at Disneyland.

I loved having my 7D/17-40L f4/580EX II combo, but I also made sure I didn't let it bog me down, and left it behind from time to time, to make sure I enjoyed my visit.....still no point though.

Take what you want....your needs may vary from the needs of others.

Cool, I was just hoping to hear weather you enjoyed what you brought and if you would do it again.
    -Jack

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 8, 2013
    We've been to Disney World almost every fall since '95. I used to bring all my photo equipment, which has evolved over the years. The last few years, I travel light. All I bring is a Coolpix P7000.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Cool, I was just hoping to hear weather you enjoyed what you brought and if you would do it again.

Yes, I did enjoy having what I decided to take....it did the job. There were a few times I left the flash and the 17-40 in the room and put my 24-105 on the 7D too. I had the same thoughts before getting there...what to take, will it be enough? I just had to remind myself that I wasn't there for a photo session, but a family vacation, so I tried to make the most of both situations.

I made do during the fireworks, but that's the one time it would have been nice to have the tripod, but I just didn't want to lug it around, or try to get to the room and back in time.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Huh? Like what, a Leica?

Why not the Fugi X Pro 1. I think you would get better value for your money.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    lensmole wrote: »

Why not the Fugi X Pro 1. I think you would get better value for your money.

Too big and I don't need another system camera. I do like that camera though.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Thanks again, good info. However EF-S lenses don't work on FF bodies like the 5D3.

Sorry, I completely forgot that the 5D3 is a full frame.

In that case, what you would need is a bit more expensive but an even better lens - the 28-300L.