Options

Doors and Windows

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 1, 2004 in Landscapes
I have a door. Love it, though it is not as close up as yours. Mine was shot telephoto, I know.

Here is my door. I like windows too. Thought it might give the thread more appeal, or more people might have one or the other. ginger

3951131-M.jpg

Taken in Charleston for dGrin, when I first joined. Bill was in the car, had to stop taking photos, grabbed this before I left. Didn't think it would be anything, but I do like it. With the motorbike and all, but particularly the red door. Think I did something to make the cobblestones show up, and I must have missed at the bottom.

g

I love your door, too. Like most doors. Wonder if that is a metaphor. I have been shooting windows longer, we have more windows here, there, where ever, than doors. I was really excited to see a door for photographers. I know kind of where it is, to take for the challeng, but my distortion would not be good and who knows where the bike is.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    A door in Pyrgos Village - Santorini Island, Greece
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have a door. Love it, though it is not as close up as yours. Mine was shot telephoto, I know.

Here is my door. I like windows too. Thought it might give the thread more appeal, or more people might have one or the other. ginger

3951131-S.jpg

Taken in Charleston for dGrin, when I first joined. Bill was in the car, had to stop taking photos, grabbed this before I left. Didn't think it would be anything, but I do like it. With the motorbike and all, but particularly the red door. Think I did something to make the cobblestones show up, and I must have missed at the bottom.

g

I have a door too.

7246084-L.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Blue Door - Santorini, Greece
    You can see how narrow the street is. Couldn't get back to take the shot straight on in this or the last shot.

7246085-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Those are great doors, Snappy! I love both of them. Where was the bottom one taken, and the top one, for that matter.

I don't do doors as often as windows, Laughing.gif. I would look for some, but I am trying to track this storm. There is a tornado on the other side of Charleston.

Also the implications for tomorrow. Charlie is supposed to come slightly to our west which will give us the worst part as far as storms are concerned.

So I can't quite leave the TV, and I have to read it, so I am typing and reading.

Bill was supposed to work Saturday. They might close the bridges at some point, so he, his boss and whoever got the bright idea that he would come North, towards the hurricane, and sleep at the studio, so they can get to another town Sat morning. Craziest thing I have ever heard of.

I have a doctor's appt downtown, will cancel, my car sits low, Honda Civic, it can't drive in water, and Charleston does get water, just from a high tide, to say the least of a tropical storm condition.

I tried to write earlier, and my computer must have decided it had had enough.

Am too tired and preoccupied to write anyone much of anything now.

Those are great doors. The one standing by itself, well, I just watched a thing on Palestine. And then that door is all by itself. Was it bombed?

They are expecting 85 mph winds by Sat morning.

Later, ginger

Sorry, it was in Greece. It looks like the pictures I have seen from there. Looks like it is beautiful, you not only got to see it, you got to photograph it.

I was thinking of photographing the surfers. Bill won't go with me, because of something he calls, Death By Lightening. He wrote it on a card, as I didn't have my hearing aids on, can't hear anything without them. I thought he was talking about a mystery, a book.

Wish I could turn this into a photographic experience. A door would be fine, I can shoot anything wide, maybe not well, but I can shoot it, rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    JUst one more thought. I know there is a certain color used to keep the bad people, whatever away. Doors are painted that color on the sea islands, whereever the Geechee culture is still strong. Now that would be something to photograph.

I saw a clothes line the other night, got all excited, but Bill wouldn't stop the car. Something about private property. And wide would be great for a clothes line, but I would want to get close.

Priorities can be a problem, lol. (The people were all out front, Bill could have created a diversion, and I could have snuck in, shot and left, no one the wiser.)

g
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    You can see how narrow the street is. Couldn't get back to take the shot straight on in this or the last shot.

7246085-S.jpg

Ooh, this one's great, Snappy. Love the composition, and the subject matter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    7246085-S.jpg
    Snapapple
    Your shot is one I wish I took I love itthumb.gif

Here is a picture of a window I took yesterday. Part of a series I am making about a City landmark that is soon to be demolished.
    7402231-L.jpg

A crop from the above.

7402235-M.jpg

"Enjoy :andy taking window door photography":D

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Pew door, old church, Charleston, SC by ginger
    4781199-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Windows, Charleston, SC 2004 by ginger
    3951048-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Earthquake things, either side of window
    3951133-L.jpg
    Charleston, SC 2004 by ginger
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Charleston, SC 2004 by ginger
    3951826-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Sullivan's Island, SC 2004 by ginger
    3937821-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Sullivan's Island marsh 2004 by ginger
    3937810-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7402231-S.jpg
    Shakey wrote:
    Snapapple

Here is a picture of a window I took yesterday. Part of a series I am making about a City landmark that is soon to be demolished.

A crop from the abo "Enjoy :andy taking window door photography":D

Tim
    Join us some more, Tim. Love those landmarks. You know what? We don't always know what the landmarks are..............one day they are there, have always been there, next day: gone. So the more pictures of the things passed every day, the better

Plus the known landmarks. Here known landmarks are usually registered as such. Very strict restrictions as to what can be torn down, or changed on renovation. Consequently houses sit, fall apart, become havens for drug dealers. I didn't used to be afraid to go into those areas, but I have gained respect. And the people there, the "nice" ones, they do not like me coming in and treating them as an exhibit. Many people want those places torn down, they say it ruins Charleston that visitors can see them. I say it "makes" Charleston. In another ten yrs or so, those places will either be bought and "restored", or they will have collapsed.

I love them, can't be everywhere at once, photographically.

But I have some photographs that survived my hurricane, and most of the places in them, ordinary places, but a part of the community, they don't exist anymore.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Snapapple

A crop from the above.

7402235-M.jpg

"Enjoy :andy taking window door photography":D

Tim
    This is a silly, embarrassing question, but is that "Tim" you?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Nope, It is not me. The only musical instrument I can play is ... a stick and hollow wodden thingie that makes the "took took" sound when you hit it .rolleyes1.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This is a silly, embarrassing question, but is that "Tim" you?
    Nope,It is not me. The only musical instrument I can play is... that hollow wooden thingie you hit with a stick and it makes a "tooque tooque" sound.rolleyes1.gif

Ginger this photo is so gothic with the weathered look and the tree reflected. Cool. It reminds me of the Amityville Horror for some reason.
    3937821-S.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Yellow Door
    Shakey - thanks for the kind words about my door in Santorini. It's one of my very favorite pictures from the trip.

Ginger, I like that dormer window of yours too. I also like the gate in the marsh. What effect did you use on that? It looks cool. I tried water color on some of my bright colored pics in Burano. That looks cool too.

Here's a window in a yellow door. It's actually from last week, taken wiiiide.

7470170-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    And here's another one of the window. Has a reflection of some red flowers in the glass. I thought I was taking it wide, but the lens moved. I liked the window and the reflection anyway.

7470172-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    This is the window of my garden/tool shed. Unfortunately the window box bracket has slipped down on the left and is crooked. So, it's not the picture or your eyes. It was shot wide, 7.1mm = 35mm. The lines of the siding curving in are a good indication of that. I purposely didn't straighten them. Too bad the flower box is crooked. :cry

7473111-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 18, 2004
    Ginger - I was going to start a new thread called "Doors, Windows, and Rooftops", but I see you have already done, that except you left out rooftops in the title. I like your dormer window too, but wonder why it lacks post processing to make it better?ne_nau.gif

3937821-S.jpg

Snappy, your shot of the blue door is just dynamite - Perfect! Could be in any published book on archtecture or something1drink.gif
    7246085-S.jpg

I also like your other window shot with the reflections in it.
    7470172-S.jpg

Tim, I like the really nice turquoise and royal blue in your window shot, but I
    think it might be even more compelling if the perspective distortion were corrected? The sign in the window is the perfect gracenote toothumb.gif

7402231-S.jpg

Here is my contribution in the way of a rooftop

7363182-L.jpg

and a door
    7409657-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7473111-S.jpg
    snapapple wrote:
    This is the window of my garden/tool shed. Unfortunately the window box bracket has slipped down on the left and is crooked. So, it's not the picture or your eyes. It was shot wide, 7.1mm = 35mm. The lines of the siding curving in are a good indication of that. I purposely didn't straighten them. Too bad the flower box is crooked. :cry
    No, Snappy, I think the crooked makes this shot. I love it, and I love the door shots, both of them. I love yellow anyway, but I love how you photographed the door and this window. I love the reflections of the flowers in the door shot, too. Just the composition of all three of these pictures......I love them!

Fantastic!

gingerclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    doG, I love that door, Pathfinder, love it, and the rooftop, also. I don't have rooftops so I didn't think roof tops. Can we add that to the title.

You all come, here, I am finding these shots you all have done of doors and rooftops and windows stupendous!

On the post processing of that dormer window, I have to laugh, Pathfinder. I look at the shots I took this spring, before I learned my assembly line processing, I find some of the shots pitiful, rolleyes1.gif The discerning eye can be a real downer when used on one's own stuff, before one knew better.

I am sure it had something done to it, what I don't remember. I don't think it is too bad as it is, but it could pop, it could show the paint cracks better, etc.

I just have to laugh. I went to show Rutt one of my favorite photographs today, and it was embarrassing to e-mail it. I had thought it was beautiful, and it wasn't. I am sure it was not the photograph that had changed.

funny, one might ask the question: what benefit education? Or something about the old saying about how you can't send them back to the farm, when they have seen the world. I think my photographic eyes have been opened a bit. Before I saw through a glass darkly, now it is a bit brighter, maybe.

My brain is tired. Do any of you wonder if you will ever be able to take another very good photograph. I worry, I get so excited when I take one I like, then I start to worry, can I ever do it again. It really holds me back as far as becoming a professional. I actually made about 15.00 selling prints of a kid I had used as a model, without a release, sold the prints to her mother, and now she wants to commission me. She is one of those rare souls with whom I feel I can be honest, as in "I have never done this before, but I would like to try". I am hoping to make enough money to reup my pro acct next year.

But my fears re my own abilities do hold me back. How about you all.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    On the post processing of that dormer window, I have to laugh, Pathfinder. I look at the shots I took this spring, before I learned my assembly line processing, I find some of the shots pitiful, rolleyes1.gif The discerning eye can be a real downer when used on one's own stuff, before one knew better.

... I don't think it is too bad as it is, but it could pop, it could show the paint cracks better, etc.
    ... then I start to worry, can I ever do it again. It really holds me back as far as becoming a professional. I actually made about 15.00 selling prints of a kid I had used as a model, without a release, sold the prints to her mother, and now she wants to commission me. She is one of those rare souls with whom I feel I can be honest, as in "I have never done this before, but I would like to try". I am hoping to make enough money to reup my pro acct next year.

But my fears re my own abilities do hold me back. How about you all.

ginger

Ginger,

Talk about insecurity, that's me all over. That's why I am so glad we have the critique thread. Most of the time I really know which is my best photo, but I need that reassurance. It's always been that way. My husband has always been great at bolstering my confidence. That's one of the best qualities a spouse can have. See, they're good for something after all, smile.

Have we seen the pictures of this kid you mention. I'd like to see them. Don't worry, you'll do fine. You'll probably outdo yourself as usual. That's kind of what I do. In my effort to do a good job on something, I usually do it "to death".

About looking back at our older photos... I have had the same experience. I have taken some of the old originals and worked them up again. It's wonderful to see how much better we can make them. Go ahead and work up that dormer window. Let's see how much better it can be. Thank heaven for Photoshop!

You know, this thread is kind of fun. So much less pressure than the challenge. And, everyone takes pictures of doors. I didn't know they took pictures of windows and roof tops, too. But, hey, we all have lots in common, huh? It's kind of like flowers. Everyone takes pictures of flowers too. I love that thread too. I have zillions of pics of flowers.

I'm going to check my folders. I know I have some roof tops.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    7246084-S.jpg

Ginger,

You asked about this door. I think the people used an old door as a gate to their courtyard. They have a wall around the courtyard and this is the "gate" or door into it. You can look through the window and see their yard. These "streets" are really narrow. They have to park their cars down below and walk up. Tourists walk along these narrow pathways all the time. Most people keep their house fronts "picturesque" for the benefit of the tourists. It must be terrible for them to live "in a fishbowl" all the time. Anyway, I'm sure they leave this door unpainted on purpose. And those that have the "blue doors" paint them frequently. They match the beautiful blue dome roofs. Oh, roofs! I have to find some roofs.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Blue Dome Roof
    Here's a roof. I wanted the blue dome and the view in the picture, but mostly got an ugly flat roof. With those narrow streets, it was hard to find a good place to stand. And the tour group was leaving without me. I had to lag behind all the time to get pictures without 40 tourists in them. My husband came back to get me, and without him, I think I would have gotten lost in those little streets.
    825528-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Curved Roof
    Here's an unusual roof. I took this during the lines and curves challenge.

6849833-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    A doorway in Italy
    This is a doorway in Volterra, Italy. I liked the garlic. I didn't do a good job of framing this, but I kept it anyway because of the garlic. I got my camera the day before we left on this trip. I'm lucky I figured out how to use it enough to get a few good shots. My first digital camera.

7487991-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    A door
    This is another old door in San Gimignano, Italy.

7485176-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    Door of an Inn
    Here's a door and a window - in San Gimignano, Italy

7485177-L.jpg

Need some more people to join in with your doors, windows and rooftops. That way we can keep this thread on the top of the list. ;<)

Shakey, I like the blue door with the poster. Let's see some more.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,

You asked about this door. I think the people used an old door as a gate to their courtyard. They have a wall around the courtyard and this is the "gate" or door into it. You can look through the window and see their yard. These "streets" are really narrow. They have to park their cars down below and walk up. Tourists walk along these narrow pathways all the time. Most people keep their house fronts "picturesque" for the benefit of the tourists. It must be terrible for them to live "in a fishbowl" all the time. Anyway, I'm sure they leave this door unpainted on purpose. And those that have the "blue doors" paint them frequently. They match the beautiful blue dome roofs. Oh, roofs! I have to find some roofs.
    Thanks, Snappy, sounds like a great trip, but the tourists, or the group, could be a major problem if it were me. My father traveled a lot, all over, and he was the photographer in the family for scenics from foreign lands. He did not go on tours, he and his wife were fortunate enough to be able to go all over, once or twice a year, by themselves, making up their own itinerary.

I dropped my husband off at the hospital, terrible aren't I, that was at 9 this AM our time, and he is still waiting for his surgery. It is now 1:30 our time.
    It is radiation implants.....

But I went shooting doors. No roofs, I was never high enough. And the doors are all pretty boring. Went to my favorite area, but it is a very rich area, and they play down their wealth, so plain doors. There was a great scene of a maid, all dressed in white, polishing a brass doornob, she glared at me, just because I existed. I would not have even tried to take her photo. Would have been good, if she had posed, etc.

They do not like the tourists traipsing through the neighborhood, on the other hand, that means money to Charleston, so it is a problem. I wanted to say to everone, "I am not a tourist". But I was in their neighborhood, carrying a camera. I was almost surprised a few places that I was not called in for suspicious activity.

Had a great cheeseburger, though, and I am tired again now. Was up early to get Bill to the hospital in time, rolleyes1.gif

ginger