Doors and Windows

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Snappy, sounds like a great trip, but the tourists, or the group, could be a major problem if it were me. My father traveled a lot, all over, and he was the photographer in the family for scenics from foreign lands. He did not go on tours, he and his wife were fortunate enough to be able to go all over, once or twice a year, by themselves, making up their own itinerary.
    I dropped my husband off at the hospital, terrible aren't I, that was at 9 this AM our time, and he is still waiting for his surgery. It is now 1:30 our time.
    It is radiation implants.....

ginger

Hi Ginger,

I'm saying some prayers for your husband. Hope everything turns out OK.

I know what you mean by wanting to take your trips on your own. We have always felt that way too. We like to go at our own pace and do our own thing. But, this was a totaly different kind of trip. We took a Medeterranean Cruise. We were in a different port almost every day. We took the shore tour because it was the easiest way to get to see a lot of stuff and get back to the ship on time. We went on our own in only one town. We took the public bus to the place we wanted to see. We wouldn't have known where to go, but another couple had checked it out and had a map etc. You had to go to a little news stand to purchase a bus ticket (we would never have known). Nobody speaks english in those little towns. The real danger is not getting back to the ship on time. It *will* leave without you.
    If we ever go to Santorini again, we will go on our own. It's a small island and you can get cabs to take you around. There are several other areas we didn't have time to see. It's the same with some other places we went. The cruise gives a good sampling of the areas, but you have to go back again if you really want to see it in depth. It is an inexpensive way to travel though. We could never have traveled over land to all those places and different countries for the price. We saw Venice, Dubrovnik, Greece, Santorini, Naples, Rome, Nice, Eze, Monte Carlo, Monoco, Tuscany, and Barcelona. It's great to wake up in the morning and be in a new place. No packing and unpacking. No trains and planes. Just relaxing on the ship, eating a great dinner and waking up to a new city each day. It's tiring though, to get up early every morning and walk all day. You do get a couple days "at sea" to rest up. Then we spent two days in Barcelona before we flew home. It was really a wonderful trip. We were celebrating our anniversary.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Here's a door and a window - in Tarquinia, Italy

7485177-L.jpg

Need some more people to join in with your doors, windows and rooftops. That way we can keep this thread on the top of the list. ;<)

Shakey, I like the blue door with the poster. Let's see some more.
    Snappy, the doors aren't showing up, the little box with a red X is what I am getting. Will go work up one door, then take a nap.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited August 19, 2004
    Charleston, SC 2004 by ginger
    A Red (Blue Collar) door:

7503910-L.jpg
    edited August 19, 2004
    Cool red Door, ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    A Red (Blue Collar) door:

7503910-S.jpg

Cool door. Isn't it interesting how the color red makes a door so inviting, even on a warehouse. The Chinese new that a long time ago. They often paint their doors red. It's good "feng shui" (sp) they say. I think it welcomes the good chi and drives away the bad chi, or something like that.

By the way, I fixed the share button on my gallery. You should be able to see my doors now. I also realized that those last two doors are in San Gimignano. Got the wrong town on my post.
    edited August 19, 2004
    Windows...
    Here are some windows from a building in the main square of San Gimignano.

7541071-M.jpg
    edited August 19, 2004
    Pathfinder, Outstanding door
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ginger - I was going to start a new thread called "Doors, Windows, and Rooftops", but I see you have already done, that except you left out rooftops in the title. I like your dormer window too, but wonder why it lacks post processing to make it better?ne_nau.gif

Here is my contribution in the way of a rooftop

7363182-S.jpg

and a door
    7409657-S.jpg

Did I mention these? Wow, this is a great door. Rooftop is pretty neat too.
    Some doors reallly cry out to have their picture taken, don't they? When someone has gone to so much effort to make a beautiful door, it should be appreciated by as many as possible. Thanks for sharing.
    edited August 19, 2004
    I do love Pathfinder's door! I don't know where to get other people. Can't hand out flyers..........rolleyes1.gif That is one reason I always want to post on the challenge, and other people say when I have my entry that I shouldn't do that.

I am glad that you are here, I think others will drop in like Pathfinder did.

This is an example, IMO, of Charleston elegance. Understated. Everything is saved for "behind" the doors. Really great gardens, but hidden. Some of these things are in really bad shape. There were workmen all over. They sell for around a million dollars. It is my favorite street, and has been since the eighties, so I have been down it before. Looked worse today than it used to.
    Northerners are coming in and paying those million dollar prices. They do not usually live in the houses, here, full time.

There were workmen all over, so maybe with the many turnovers, more houses will be fixed up. It is a shame, though, the school children are disappearing, the whole sense of community. Etc.

7508335-L.jpg
    If I can't go to Europe, I always tell Bill, we should get out, here, enjoy what we have. People pay a mint to visit this place, and so far we are here year round. The photography has helped get me out to many places. I have not been near this street in years.

But I do read about what is happening. As the old widows die off, the children can't, or are not interested in, the high cost of living in Charleston, proper. It has changed, anyway, as I said the children are gone. So the houses are being sold to northeners. I read that the "kids" are taking the money and moving to Sullivan's Island. The taxes are high in both places.
    edited August 19, 2004
    The front door on one house. It is one where the front door is on the side, with a fake door in front. Somehow this house lost its fake door, so I could walk up a bit and take this photo.

Look at the gleaming brass. I noticed that all along the street, no matter what a house looked like, the brass is shining.

7508328-L.jpg
    edited August 19, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Here are some windows from a building in the main square of San Gimignano.

7504338-M.jpg
    I just love those windows, Snappy!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 19, 2004
    7504338-S.jpg
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I just love those windows, Snappy!
    I think this is an excellent image also - I also appreciate that the windows and edges are square in the frame and centered nicely - This, I beleive, Snappy did in post processing - I can never get my images this square in my viewfinder, no matter how hard I try. Nice work Snappy!

Here are some windows in Bishop's Castle in Colorado. Just Google Bishop's Castle and you will find it 1drink.gif It is privately owned and built.
    7487286-L.jpg

And here is a window I saw in Pitkin, Colorado in June

7487285-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 20, 2004
    Love the Colorado stuff, Pathfinder, love the windows.

This is a door, to where, in Charleston, I am not sure. We are sitting on water.
    I had one in an old house in Indiana that was a coal shute. Love them, whatever they were for.

7508332-L.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    7487285-S.jpg

love this one Path... I spent ages looking at it clap.gif
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Like those pics from Greece Snappy! I also have a thing for doors and windows, here're a few;

This is in Lisbon;

3024902-L.jpg

New York;

2364707-L.jpg

and Bonaire;

3252362-L.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Like those pics from Greece Snappy! I also have a thing for doors and windows, here're a few;

This is in Lisbon;

New York;

and Bonaire;
    I love the Lisbon shot Simone, I would have liked to see more of what was lower and I loved the Bonaire window. I went diving in Bonaire once, lovely place.:D
    edited August 23, 2004
    Ok Ginger, Lynn, SeeMoon, Here are a couple morerolleyes1.gif

7639106-L.jpg

7639113-L.jpg

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    OK, the word that comes to mind is fetish. This thread can't be healthy. naughty.gif

SeeMoon, this one really caught my eye.

2364707-S.jpg

PF saw me post this, and told me I had on the right outfit to join you guys. I kinda like the wildness of this one.

7641734-L.jpg

And here's another one. Not special, not even close, but slightly different.

7641109-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, the word that comes to mind is fetish. This thread can't be healthy. naughty.gif

SeeMoon, this one really caught my eye.

2364707-S.jpg

PF saw me post this, and told me I had on the right outfit to join you guys. I kinda like the wildness of this one.

7641734-L.jpg

7641109-M.jpg
    Welcome Sid - Here are a couple more...
    7681874-L.jpg

7681865-L.jpg

edited August 24, 2004
    Just one more :D

7680565-L.jpg

edited August 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

7641734-S.jpg

Like this one a lot Waxy! Saw this one in your WA thread ..looks kinda weird!
    edited August 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

7681865-S.jpg

Lines, curves, reflection...is this shot in WA mode by any chance? :D
    edited August 24, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Lines, curves, reflection...is this shot in WA mode by any chance? :D
    I don't rememeber the exact focal length - smugmug says about 47mm on 35mm equivalent1drink.gif I shot a number of frames Sunday with a 24mm lens at a 1.3 mag factor. Lots of fun with reflections - just a few weeks too late tho:D

But I'm having fun with seeing my community again in a new way.clap.gif

I have enjoyed seeing all the places you have travelled - it is quite an impressive life style. I had a friend years ago who was a stewardess for NWA - and she lived in central Indiana and shopped monthly in Tokyo. I never could get my head around that. (Do you prefer cabin attendant today? ) Anyway, you have a lot of lovely images of your travels and of Holland itself also.

Here is a closer view of a window

7681870-M.jpg

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome Sid - Here are a couple more...
    7681874-S.jpg

This the style I seem to enjoy, PF. Not sure why. Maybe it's the purity, orderliness and simplicity? I love the context of windows and doors cut into a wall that could stretch on forever.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 24, 2004
    This is kind of weird...
    wxwax wrote:

7641109-M.jpg

Welcome Sid, to our little fixation.

Now is this a door or a window? Hmmm a bricked over doorway. Is there a body hidden behind there? Perhaps this thread is *not* healthy. headscratch.gif
    edited August 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I don't rememeber the exact focal length - smugmug says about 47mm on 35mm equivalent1drink.gif I shot a number of frames Sunday with a 24mm lens at a 1.3 mag factor. Lots of fun with reflections - just a few weeks too late tho:D

Here is a closer view of a window

7681870-M.jpg

Pathfinder,

I love your windows. You sure seem to be stuck on reflections. Just find them everywhere, huh? :D
    edited August 24, 2004
    7681874-S.jpg
    wxwax wrote:
    This the style I seem to enjoy, PF. Not sure why. Maybe it's the purity, orderliness and simplicity? I love the context of windows and doors cut into a wall that could stretch on forever.
    I was struck by the contrast of the straight forward shop window and door with the quirky windows above with the repeating portraits and the bright yellow awning for the shot of color to an otherwise monochromatic scene. Calming, but worth a second or third look to my eye at least. Glad you enjoyed it.

edited August 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have enjoyed seeing all the places you have travelled - it is quite an impressive life style. I had a friend years ago who was a stewardess for NWA - and she lived in central Indiana and shopped monthly in Tokyo. I never could get my head around that. (Do you prefer cabin attendant today? ) Anyway, you have a lot of lovely images of your travels and of Holland itself also.

Thanks! I too hear myself say; i'll get that MP3 player in Hong Kong..But (especially on occasions like with the lions or cagediving with great whites in Sout Africa) i feel so very lucky that i'm able to see so many things, meet so many diffirent people and have so many cool photo opportunities! At KLM we just work all over the world, not in regions, so that makes it extra exciting.
    Being so far away from home so often makes me appreciate the people and things here even more though..Amsterdam is my favourite destination. :D
    (stewardess is what we're called here, either is fine)

Another door..ok; with a house, but still a door. Life is simple in Suriname;

1008954-M.jpg
    edited August 24, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Another door..ok; with a house, but still a door. Life is simple in Suriname;

1008954-M.jpg
    This reminds me of the one I posted earlier from an earlier period in Illinois

This is the Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site in Illinois - It is the home of Abraham Lincoln's father circa 1840
    7680565-M.jpg

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    some doors and windows from andy
    this is a great thread! i'm going to have fun going through all of the posts. in the mean time, here are a few from me....

outside windows (the cloisters, new york city's monastic castle in northern manhattan)
    1744632-M.jpg

flatiron building windows, abstract
    2878420-M.jpg

my front door
    7720772-M.jpg

back door of school bus

7720773-M.jpg
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Nice Andy but my question is... Who gets the bruised banana?rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Nice Andy but my question is... Who gets the bruised bannana?rolleyes1.gif

thanks shakey!

i always fought for the really ripe ones myself :D

this "school lunches" pic i did for the dpreview stf "school daze" challenge. i worked so freakin' hard on it, and it placed well, but didn't win. the school bus, however, did win first place, and i put all of 30 seconds into the shot, i shot it thru my windshield as i was following this bus on a country road rolleyes1.gif