Unexpected guest

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 21, 2013 in People
Morning Folks,
While at the cemetery, I shot this pic of my aunt standing by some of our past relatives. I didn't notice the unexpected guest in the left corner, behind the headstone of STEG. This was not PSed. I'm open to suggestions as to what it might be, but whatever it is, it's clearly behind the headstone and tree branches that are sticking out. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Interesting. Can you post a link to the RAW file?

Sam
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Unexpected guest
    Sam wrote: »
    Interesting. Can you post a link to the RAW file?

Sam
    Good Evening Sam,
    I'm not sure I still have the RAW file, but I know I have a much bigger jpeg on one of my drives. Be more then happy to email it to ya & see what you think. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    I don't see anything. can you circle it? I see a grey wall of some sort?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Me no see nothing. ne_nau.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    I don't see anything. can you circle it? I see a grey wall of some sort?

+1

I see only the wall of the building between the bushes.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
    edited February 18, 2013
    Unexpected guest
    Good Evening Folks,
    Sam, I do have the RAW file, but it's about 17MB. What I did, was crop the STEG headstone. It looks like a reflection from the headstone because you can see ST backwards behind it. Not sure how that would be possible because if you look at all the headstones in the first picture, it looks like the name is visible on one side only. None the less, it's an interesting picture. Sam if you want the RAW file, I'll be more then happy to email it to ya. Thanks for looking folks thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    OK. I still don't see anything in the crop. I do see some writing on the cement between the bushes in the back. Why would you assume that's a reflection? If it was, then the letter S would be backwards and it is not. I think it's just another headstone or crypt or something back there that has writing on it.

I find that with stuff like this, you will see what you want to see. Like I could have sworn I saw the image of Sam in my PB&J sandwich I had the other day. Laughing.gif

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Like I could have sworn I saw the image of Sam in my PB&J sandwich I had the other day. Laughing.gif

Did you eat it anyway? rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 18, 2013
    Did you eat it anyway? rolleyes1.gif

Hell yes I did. Ate his face like I was a zombie!

My Smug Site
    edited February 18, 2013
    OK. I still don't see anything in the crop. I do see some writing on the cement between the bushes in the back. Why would you assume that's a reflection? If it was, then the letter S would be backwards and it is not. I think it's just another headstone or crypt or something back there that has writing on it.

I find that with stuff like this, you will see what you want to see. Like I could have sworn I saw the image of Sam in my PB&J sandwich I had the other day. Laughing.gif
    Good Evening,
    Where is the writing on the cement in the attached picture ? For that matter, where is the cement above the headstone in this picture ? It's not there. This picture was taken about 1 min before my aunt was in the above picture. Check the EXIF if you don't believe me...
    Jim...
    edited February 18, 2013
    I'm not out to prove you wrong here, but I'm not seeing anything weird. The cement object in the background is not visible in this latest pick because it's taken from a completely different perspective. The angle of the camera is much lower. It's quite apparent from how much the top of the headstones show in the first shot compared to the last pic.

Again, not trying to argue your point. You asked us to explain what you're seeing and that's what I'm doing. Take it or leave it.

My Smug Site
    edited February 18, 2013
    I'm not out to prove you wrong here, but I'm not seeing anything weird. The cement object in the background is not visible in this latest pick because it's taken from a completely different perspective. The angle of the camera is much lower. It's quite apparent from how much the top of the headstones show in the first shot compared to the last pic.

Again, not trying to argue your point. You asked us to explain what you're seeing and that's what I'm doing. Take it or leave it.
    It's not a completely different perspective. I was bending over slightly in the first picture, then stood up for the second shot, taken about 1 min apart. Whatever was in the second shot should have been visible in the first shot regardless of the perspective. It's interesting how a piece of cement with writing on it suddenly shows up out of nowhere rolleyes1.gif
    Jim...
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    It's not a completely different perspective. I was bending over slightly in the first picture, then stood up for the second shot, taken about 1 min apart. Whatever was in the second shot should have been visible in the first shot regardless of the perspective. It's interesting how a piece of cement with writing on it suddenly shows up out of nowhere rolleyes1.gif
    Jim...

Dude.....probably ought to quit while you're behind.

There must be at least a cellphone pic of the sandwich - that's what I want to see!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited February 19, 2013
    Unexpected guest
    Earache wrote: »
    Dude.....probably ought to quit while you're behind.

There must be at least a cellphone pic of the sandwich - that's what I want to see!

Good Morning Mr Spicoli rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for your comment thumb.gif The only way to verify that nothing is there, is to retake the shot, and that's what I plan to do in the next couple of weeks. Usually, when you take a picture of something, you generally know what's going to be in that picture, that's why I was surprised by what I saw in the 2nd shot when I looked at it more closely. Kinda like the 2 shots below, taken less then a minute a part, and at about the same perspective. Thanks again.
    Jim...
    edited February 19, 2013
    Unexpected guest
  • mtoddmtodd Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    It's another headstone that is somewhat buried inside the two evergreens. You can see the footer on the left. Be sure and post the picture when you go to revisit it.
    Michael's Outdoor Photography

Canon 7D|Canon 350D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8 Macro|17-55mm f2.8|24-105 mm f4.0 L|70-200mm f2.8 L|200mm f2.8 L|400mm f5.6 L
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    I'm not quite sure what exactly it is that your hoping to see here, however, if you are looking for a ghost of some sort, I would like to direct your attention to the most pronounced branch of a tree or bush that is readily apparent over the "STEG" headstone in the first picture and even more so in the crop, that is completely absent in the photo in post #11. This indicates that a rather substantial shift in perspective has occurred or that the ghost in question is a gardener and has been pruning the shrubberies. headscratch.gif Also notice the rather small patch of light green leaves over the headstone (the one between the bushes) in the crop version...notice how this exact shape sits directly on top of the "STEG" headstone in the photo in post #11, indicating that the headstone between the bushes is simply concealed behind the "STEG" headstone.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
    edited February 20, 2013
    Unexpected guest
    Good Morning Folks,
    Thanks for the recent comments thumb.gif I don't think it's another headstone bewteen the bushes in the picture. If it was, then you would be able to see it, or a part of it from just about any angle from where I was standing. As for a ghost, I don't think it's in that picture, but if you look at the last two pics I posted, you can see an orb in the middle tree of the first pic, but nothing in the second shot. Maybe that's just a greenish/bluish colored dust bunny on my lens rolleyes1.gifI'll be posting a few pics around that headstone soon as the weather gets a little bit warmer thumb.gif Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    That is absolutely a headstone. The differing perspectives have been explained several times. The "orb" in the other shot is flare.
    There is nothing out of the ordinary in either shot, sorry.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    I guess if you wanted it to look like a ghost it could....actually as already mentioned it is the wall between the bushes....and as mentioned the other perspective is much lower so covers up the large open area.
    So in summation guess I am agreeing with the other posters.
    edited February 20, 2013
    Reply to Thread
    dsp wrote: »
    That is absolutely a headstone. The differing perspectives have been explained several times. The "orb" in the other shot is flare.
    There is nothing out of the ordinary in either shot, sorry.
    Good Morning,
    Thanks for your comments. We'll see whether there is a headstone between the bushes when I do a reshoot. I think I would have remembered having seen it before I took the picture. As for the flare, that's debatable mwink.gif Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
    edited February 20, 2013
    Unexpected guest
    zoomer wrote: »
    I guess if you wanted it to look like a ghost it could....actually as already mentioned it is the wall between the bushes....and as mentioned the other perspective is much lower so covers up the large open area.
    So in summation guess I am agreeing with the other posters.
    Good Morning Mike,
    Thanks for your comments. When I looked at the small version, it looked like a ghost behind the headstone, but when I looked at the full RAW file, you could see it was something different. I would have remembered another headstone being there, but time will tell after I reshoot it. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
    edited February 20, 2013
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    ......... I don't think it's another headstone bewteen the bushes in the picture. If it was, then you would be able to see it, or a part of it from just about any angle from where I was standing.
    Jim...

If, after looking at this image - YOUR image - you are going to continue to insist that it is not another headstone, then I would ask you to now admit it's all a funny gag - ha ha - otherwise, I would call into question your true motives and/or competency. Quit wasting everyone's goodwill.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37325&stc=1&d=1361238685
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited February 20, 2013
    Me no see nothing. ne_nau.gif

Open eyes grasshopper.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    Ok if you look at the first image there is a slightly yellow/green section of the bushes right about the HEADSTONE between the two bushes. Also look at the amount of the red colored headstone to the right of the STEG headstone. Now look at the second image you posted where its not there and you notice that the yellow/green section is now right above the STEG headstone and barely any of the red colored headstone is visible above the STEG headstone. It is two (slight as they may be) perspectives. Its a headstone and nothing else. Good lord I cant believe I even wasted 35 seconds typing this on this useless thread.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    Ok if you look at the first image there is a slightly yellow/green section of the bushes right about the HEADSTONE between the two bushes. Also look at the amount of the red colored headstone to the right of the STEG headstone. Now look at the second image you posted where its not there and you notice that the yellow/green section is now right above the STEG headstone and barely any of the red colored headstone is visible above the STEG headstone. It is two (slight as they may be) perspectives. Its a headstone and nothing else. Good lord I cant believe I even wasted 35 seconds typing this on this useless thread.

thumb.gif
    edited February 20, 2013
    Jim,

I would be interested in getting the RAW file for each of the images you posted. You can send the RAW files to a drop box, you send it, etc site and I can down load from there.

Al my contact info is on my website.

Folks, it ain't about believing in ghosts. It is about looking at what could cause the image abnormality. There is a bunch of TV shows with images showing supposed ghosts, but we can't get our hands on the original images for examination.

I like the opportunity to examine this image.

Sam

As for you Alex, I do understand your man crush, but ya gota get over it man. :D
    edited February 20, 2013
    I was going to let this rest but some how, I got sucked back in.

Here is you first pic. Notice the area I have circled in it. This area demonstrates very clearly that you shot a perspective higher than the woman's head. IOW, you are shooting down onto her.

My Smug Site
    edited February 20, 2013
    Now here is your second photo. What happened to all that grass and other stuff that I circled in the first pic above? It dissapeared because you clearly shifted your shooting angle down by at least 2 feet. You're no longer shooting down on the scene, headstone. You're shooting from an angle just inches higher than the top of the headstone. Notice that the vertical space that shifted is exactly the size of the cement headstone or whatever that shows in the first pic that you claim "wasn't really there".

But I guess that just too simple of an explanation. What makes more sense of course, is that all of the area behind the Steg and Goetz headstones were not really there IRL and were actually ghostly apparitions.

My Smug Site
    edited February 20, 2013
    Ghost or no-ghost... RAW file or not.... re-shoot or never.... I'm willing to wager my X-Files Decoder Ring that the OP got exactly what he wanted out of this thread.
    Eric ~ Smugmug