Options

SmugMug Update From Baldy

Comments

• Options
    bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    The slideshow should have all the features of the JFriend HTML5 Slideshow.
    I need to be able to click though to the galleries from the home page.
    Where are the various transitions and the choice of Random?

How do I get my Guestbook to work?

How do I get my StatCounter code to work again?

Cheers,

I agree on the statcounter, and what about verifying my google admin with Javascript?
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I've been playing around with the new smugmug the moment it became available yesterday & must say I'm LOVING the potential clap.gif but... running into a few brick walls… headscratch.gif
    1) I've tried numerous ways to recreate my header the way it displays in legacy view… with a logo, nav bar & underneath them both a gray bar… I can't find any possible way to add a gray bar. It should be as simple as adding a colored block that nests under the logo & nav menu but try as I may I can't figure it out. Anyone???
    2) I currently only see 2 font choice's (main & body). The problem here is that body font includes nav menu's??? Why? Is there a easy way to change my nav menu font to be any font I want? I'd also like to add a text block that is my tag line that matches my nav menu font. Note: In legacy view I'm using font 'Elegant' for my nav menu & the tag line. But my body font (which includes most everything else) is different. This shouldn't be difficult… ne_nau.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited July 31, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    1) I've tried numerous ways to recreate my header the way it displays in legacy view… with a logo, nav bar & underneath them both a gray bar… I can't find any possible way to add a gray bar. It should be as simple as adding a colored block that nests under the logo & nav menu but try as I may I can't figure it out. Anyone???
    Have you tried dragging in a separator? It's in the Design section of Add Content Blocks.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Yes but it won't allow me to layer it under the logo & nav menu…
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    But if we know what things you can't do now and want to, we might be able to add those features without the downsides of JavaScript.

How about better social media buttons? Rather than the label-less buttons (I wonder how many people would recognise flickr if they don't use it properly) I'd like to add the sorts of clever buttons offered by sites e.g.
    https://developers.google.com/+/web/
    and
    https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box/
  • Options
    davidmedinadavidmedina Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    After my initial negative reaction and seeing so many raving about the new Smugmug I decided to put ir to the test.

So I spent over 12 hours "playing" with the "new" Smugmug and trying to decypher what it can do and how, I have come to the conclusion that this is the old "easy Customizer" with a new modern interface. It is limiting. If you want to do some real customization you have to use html and CSS so there are no difference between the old and the new, except actualized, non-chessy, templates.

The only real new thing is the drag and drop, but it is so limited that it has no real versatility. It works for those who want just to use one of their "everyone looks the same" templates and so basic changes. They will be happy.

Of course the way it looks and does things is new... but it is just a new way of doing the same thing I was able to do before.

Hey, just because an image looks big it does not mean that something is better. That just make easier for people to steal your images and print them.

But if you want to make your Smugmug look seamless with your website or blog you will have to do custom coding. And the great news is that if you already paid for that, you just wasted all the good money because you get to do it all over again. So some people get to make more money! That's good, isn't it?

The real functionality that needed to be changes wasn't. It is the same old Smugmug with modern templates and a modern way to customize basic stuff.

I feel like I was taking for a cheap date and left to pay for everything.

So, I am done. I started to migrate my images to someplace else. Because I am now stuck with the "new" I am embarrassed to have my client endure a system full of bug and unattractive. I will loose money in the process because there is no refunds, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    I've been playing around with the new smugmug the moment it became available yesterday & must say I'm LOVING the potential clap.gif but... running into a few brick walls… headscratch.gif
    2) I currently only see 2 font choice's (main & body). The problem here is that body font includes nav menu's??? Why? Is there a easy way to change my nav menu font to be any font I want? I'd also like to add a text block that is my tag line that matches my nav menu font. Note: In legacy view I'm using font 'Elegant' for my nav menu & the tag line. But my body font (which includes most everything else) is different. This shouldn't be difficult… ne_nau.gif

Moved these to a new thread in hopes they wouldn't get lost before answered.
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    How long did it take to change olde moonriverphotography to almost exactly the same look with the new SmugMug?
    Andy wrote: »
    Dunno, 15 minutes? I still have a little bit of work to do on my About gallery but I'm thrilled :D

Note -- this may be the wrong thread to put this question, but I'm simply reacting to existing content.

Andy, my legacy site has similar design to yours ... slideshow on home page, nav bar with galleries, etc.

I apparently am a lot more dense than I thought because I cannot figure out how to get from a standard design to something that has similar appearance to my legacy site. 15 minutes? I've been playing in my sandbox for hours and I still can't get something that is not a godawful mess.

Is there a reference document somewhere? I don't even know the difference between folders, galleries, and pages.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    We worked really hard to include JavaScript in this release but a few months ago we faced the reality that at least for this release, we wouldn't be able to. It was excruciating to go back to people like jfriend, who was under NDA, and tell him.

The question is what things are you looking for JavaScript to do that you can't do now on the new SmugMug? We ask because there are a lot of really tough issues involved in exposing JavaScript. One of them, for example, is we got frozen by the installed base on legacy SmugMug because we'd try to update something with the galleries and find it broke a JavaScript hack that people had installed. Another is one of the bigger loads on the support heroes is chasing down JavaScript hacks gone bad.

But if we know what things you can't do now and want to, we might be able to add those features without the downsides of JavaScript.
    I really like all of jfriend's javascript hacks that I've incorporated but I could live without them. What I absolutely need to have are:
    The ability to do custom search functions like this: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/SkiRacing/2013-Season/May-Day Being able to do this is a key competitive advantage that I have. I have to stick to legacy mode until this works in the new version. I need to use javascript to build he desired keyword URL. The regular search function will not work for what I need to do as people will search for their name properly spelled. Unfortunately, names get misspelled on race entry forms which is what I use. If they see the misspelling in the list, it's easy for them...

I believe self-fulfillment options using Paypal require javascript if you want to be able to identify an individual picture on the order?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I switched over to the new design and can't seem to get my comments back. Is anybody else having this problem? Hope we didn't lose them!

Sincerely!,
    Brian Carey
    brian@briancareyphotography.com
    http://briancareyphotography.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited July 31, 2013
    I switched over to the new design and can't seem to get my comments back. Is anybody else having this problem? Hope we didn't lose them!
    They are still in the system, just not showing. See discussion and proposed resolution in this thread.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 31, 2013

Sincerely!,
    Brian Carey
    brian@briancareyphotography.com
    http://briancareyphotography.com/

It's a problem with a discussion happening here.

You can avoid most of the comments and go to the last page or so for some suggestions on how it will be addressed by SmugMug.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    They are still in the system, just not showing. See discussion and proposed resolution in this thread.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise! :-)
  • Options
    kevincoppalottikevincoppalotti Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    Is the migration buggy?, i tried and got an error message.
  • Options
    kevincoppalottikevincoppalotti Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    Is the migration buggy?, i tried and got an error message.

Just tried again, worked this time.
  • Options
    rougetaureaurougetaureau Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Well, it certainly looks great and the organization window is very simple and efficient.
    I'll dig into it int he next few weeks to see if I will switch back to SmugMug for my next project, beginning in September.
  • Options
    Doug_CDoug_C Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Thanks Baldy for your informative post.

Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be teething issues along the way?

Naive IMHO if they did - it's the way of life.

Waiting in anticipation of getting the 'bugs' ironed out thumb.gif
    Cheers,
    Dougie
    Canon 5D Mark III
    http://www.dougie-coull-photography.com/
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Doug_C wrote: »
    Thanks Baldy for your informative post.

Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be teething issues along the way?

Naive IMHO if they did - it's the way of life.

Waiting in anticipation of getting the 'bugs' ironed out thumb.gif

Don't hold your breath waiting.

I just found out that the "migration" screwed with my subcategories even though I never entered Preview mode.

So much for leaving our sites alone until we are ready to test things out. :bash :bash :bash
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    The question is what things are you looking for JavaScript to do that you can't do now on the new SmugMug?

Statcounter!!!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 2, 2013
    Statcounter!!!
    15524779-Ti.gif Both Statcounter and Google Analytics depend on javascript if they are to provide their full value. SM currently provides a simple interface for adding a GA identifier. The same could work for Statcounter. You wouldn't be risking anything by providing a structured, controlled way of accessing these popular tools. SM would control the javascript behind the scenes.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Statcounter has instructions for a html link
    Brian Beck
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 2, 2013
    bbeck4x4 wrote: »
    Statcounter has instructions for a html link
    Yes, but using only html you just get a hit count, not the comprehensive report that the javascript version supplies. Used that way, it's even less useful than SM stats.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    It really is the comprehensive report that we need. With that information I was able to get my bounce rate from 60% down to 9%, SMug why not have a box like the one for google that we enter our number for statcounter.
    Brian Beck
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I installed the smugmug html statcounter code in an html object today and it works the same as it did in the old version of smugmug.

Cheers,.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    mbellot wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath waiting.

I just found out that the "migration" screwed with my subcategories even though I never entered Preview mode.

So much for leaving our sites alone until we are ready to test things out. :bash :bash :bash

My some of my galleries are gone even though I never migrated, nor logged in as owner.
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    My current plan is to let my smugmug sites go dormant until I see some resolution and evidence that concerns are being taken seriously. Then I'll make a decision about major changes, like switching services.
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I installed the smugmug html statcounter code in an html object today and it works the same as it did in the old version of smugmug.

Cheers,.
    interesting, thanks, but your site is still in the old version... dont understand, sorry...
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013

The main thing I would like to see is the use of JavaScript to allow Statcounter to continue tracking my visitors in as much detail as it currently does on the Legacy Site.
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    darter02 wrote: »
    the main thing i would like to see is the use of javascript to allow statcounter to continue tracking my visitors in as much detail as it currently does on the legacy site.
    +1
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    interesting, thanks, but your site is still in the old version... dont understand, sorry...

True, but it works fine in preview mode. I did have to add a <center> so the count wouldn't be left justified. Other issues are keeping me from unveiling yet.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com