Options

New Canon EOS 70D Announced.

CoreyDCoreyD Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited August 29, 2013 in Cameras
The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated!
http://www.deardsphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited July 2, 2013
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2013
    Another "Hands-On" preview of the Canon 70D:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-70d/canon-70dA.HTM
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2013
    Sample images and movies from the Canon Japan site:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos70d/

Portrait

Sports

Landscape

ISO 3200
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2013
    A direct link to the higher resolution version of their demo video, "Handmade". Note that there is no "focus puller" for this video. AF and focus tracking is achieved through:

Continuous AF using the 80 percent of the image phase detect capability.
    Face detect function to keep focus on the face, disregarding foreground object.
    LCD touch-screen interface to indicate desired focus region for follow focus. (flexiZone Single)
    Canon stepper motor AF technology.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos70d/player_handmade/movie.html?high

... And a "Making of ..." video, showing the behind-the-scenes view and demonstrating some of the new technology and interface:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos70d/player_handmade_making/movie.html?high

Update: Canon Australia posted an HD(720) copy of "Handmade" on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/Tf0BBNr6Epk
    ziggy53
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Nice! I never was tempted by the 60D and instead told myself to hold out for the 7D Mark II. But the 70D definitely changes my mind on that one. 7D auto-focus plus continuous AF in video mode at a low price.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2013
    ziggy53
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited July 2, 2013
    Canon has been hard at work, and it shows. This has got to be the best refresh of a xxD cam ever. Bodes well for the 7DII when it arrives.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Indeed this is good news for the 7DII. I'm thinking this sensor + 10fps + 45 or 61 point AF. I just hope Canon doesn't pull a Nikon D400 and sit on it forever.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    I hope it is good news for the 7DII. However, we don't yet have information on the performance of the new sensor (assuming the 7 will have the same one). The live view focusing improvements built into this sensor won't help me much. I want to see data on DR, noise, and the performance of the anti-aliasing filter. If Canon improved the 7 only with respect to these three, I'd be happy.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2013
    I cannot wait to get GPS and WiFi in a Mid Level Full Frame...rumor has it the Big MegaPixel Canon will have it....and a whopping 50MP.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2013
    Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF Video

http://youtu.be/ozUg9t6TcQI

This video demonstrates some of the qualities and engineering behind the 70D's new live-view AF capability.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I cannot wait to get GPS and WiFi in a Mid Level Full Frame.

I think those would be my least used features - but I suppose everything will have WiFi eventually
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF Video

http://youtu.be/ozUg9t6TcQI

This video demonstrates some of the qualities and engineering behind the 70D's new live-view AF capability.
    Hey Ziggy , i highly trust your opinion on this question.I mainly do sport shooting and currently use a t2i .Now this aug my intent was to buy a 7D because of the focus system and burst rate ..The 70D appears to have the same 19point system with slightly different sensor .Do you see this being a better poor light body ,cleaner image camera than the 7D. Because i shoot hockey , the camera will see warm temps to cold temps and back to warm temps , so the better constructed(sealed) shell of the 7D was a high point for me . I'm thinking 70D now but solely want to give myself the best chance for higher quality images and a better keeper rate .I know the 70d has not been put through the paces of an independent reviewer yet , But what is your feeling on this Camera vs the 7D for potential image quality?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2013
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    Hey Ziggy , i highly trust your opinion on this question.I mainly do sport shooting and currently use a t2i .Now this aug my intent was to buy a 7D because of the focus system and burst rate ..The 70D appears to have the same 19point system with slightly different sensor .Do you see this being a better poor light body ,cleaner image camera than the 7D. Because i shoot hockey , the camera will see warm temps to cold temps and back to warm temps , so the better constructed(sealed) shell of the 7D was a high point for me . I'm thinking 70D now but solely want to give myself the best chance for higher quality images and a better keeper rate .I know the 70d has not been put through the paces of an independent reviewer yet , But what is your feeling on this Camera vs the 7D for potential image quality?

According to Canon, "The EOS 70D Digital SLR camera is scheduled to be available in September 2013". Since you intend to purchase in August, that alone could decide for you.

The 7D is still a very good camera, including for sports/action photography. The dual-image-processors allow the camera to divide processing tasks and keep throughput high while allowing rapid AF. (In Canon dSLR cameras the image processor is responsible for many of the camera tasks, like AF, exposure, image processing and starting the image write to card process. Having 2 - image processors doesn't just increase overall system speed, it also allows finer system processing "granularity", which can sometimes mean more than just a speed doubling alone.)

The 7D is OK, but not fantastic, at high-ISOs. In smaller hockey arenas that would probably mean similar high-ISO noise to your T2i/550D body. Still, the faster AF plus faster frame rate would mean more keepers overall. Shooting to RAW and adding some noise reduction in post-processing is probably indicated and recommended.

Remember that in a sports/action application, lens choice is as important as camera body choice. Be sure to couple a sports/action lens with whatever you use for a body for best results.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2013
    According to Canon, "The EOS 70D Digital SLR camera is scheduled to be available in September 2013". Since you intend to purchase in August, that alone could decide for you.

The 7D is still a very good camera, including for sports/action photography. The dual-image-processors allow the camera to divide processing tasks and keep throughput high while allowing rapid AF. (In Canon dSLR cameras the image processor is responsible for many of the camera tasks, like AF, exposure, image processing and starting the image write to card process. Having 2 - image processors doesn't just increase overall system speed, it also allows finer system processing "granularity", which can sometimes mean more than just a speed doubling alone.)

The 7D is OK, but not fantastic, at high-ISOs. In smaller hockey arenas that would probably mean similar high-ISO noise to your T2i/550D body. Still, the faster AF plus faster frame rate would mean more keepers overall. Shooting to RAW and adding some noise reduction in post-processing is probably indicated and recommended.

Remember that in a sports/action application, lens choice is as important as camera body choice. Be sure to couple a sports/action lens with whatever you use for a body for best results.
    well ,I would be willing to wait if I knew I was going to get potentially better results as far as action shots go, bells and whistles are not that important to me . Yes noise is currently an issue with my current gear , I have had the opportunity to use the 70-200mmm L is with great results (and that is coming as well thumb.gif .I do shoot in raw and jpeg both and use camera raw(cs-5 MB) for editing.It seems like the 70D may have better capabilities in the rinks ? but I'm not convinced .Should one expect that it would? Essentially image quality (generally) is very close between my t2i and the 7D I assume , I guess I am hoping you'll say the 70 D will likely be par with the 7D or no wait it will likely be better . lol headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2013
    well ,I would be willing to wait if I knew I was going to get potentially better results as far as action shots go, bells and whistles are not that important to me . Yes noise is currently an issue with my current gear , I have had the opportunity to use the 70-200mmm L is with great results (and that is coming as well thumb.gif .I do shoot in raw and jpeg both and use camera raw(cs-5 MB) for editing.It seems like the 70D may have better capabilities in the rinks ? but I'm not convinced .Should one expect that it would? Essentially image quality (generally) is very close between my t2i and the 7D I assume , I guess I am hoping you'll say the 70 D will likely be par with the 7D or no wait it will likely be better . lol headscratch.gif

Any of the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L series should be a good match for a sports/action body.

I don't believe that you can draw any reliable performance expectations from specifications alone. It will take some testing, both by professional review sites and by individuals using the camera for similar activities, until you can make any assumptions about suitability for specific applications.

The Canon 7D still sells for $1500USD (down from the $1700 initial price) and the 70D is designed to sell for $1200. I suspect that the 7D replacement will appear about 6 months after the 70D release for sale, and it will probably sell for around $1700-$1850(ish).

For your purposes I do think that the 7D would still be a good choice, and probably better than the 70D for sports/action. The 7D has nearly twice the shot buffer, a slightly faster frame rate and a better viewfinder, compared to the 70D specifications.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2013
    I Appreciate your input Ziggy, I read non stop on a few forums about photography , I just saw a link to ebay for a 6D for 1500.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360689884630 where would this fall into the mix as far as getting my shots (image quality for sports.poor light) ?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2013
    I Appreciate your input Ziggy, I read non stop on a few forums about photography , I just saw a link to ebay for a 6D for 1500.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360689884630 where would this fall into the mix as far as getting my shots (image quality for sports.poor light) ?

The Canon 6D is an entry-level, full-format, dSLR, with a lovely high-ISO capable imager, but with almost no sports/action qualifications. The primary problem is the AF section, where Canon elected to use a "very" rudimentary auto-focus sensor. Coupled with a relatively slow overall responsiveness (although better than the 5D MKII in some regards) "and" a slow cycle rate of (optimal) 4.5 fps, the 6D would be predictably frustrating to use for sports/action.

Here is an actual testament of the 6D for a soccer game (from http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx almost exacly halfway down the page):

"The first action I shot with the 6D was an indoor soccer game (using the Canon EF 200mm f/2 IS USM Lens). ... My settings were f/2 and 1/640 at ISO 8000. Using center-point-only AF produced an only fair in-focus hit rate at this event."

The Canon 5D Mark III, on the other hand, gets better marks for shutter lag, viewfinder blackout and frame rate. Most importantly, the 5D MKIII has a much more advanced and pretty capable AF sensor and AF section.

If you are looking for a decent FF sports/action (Canon) body for indoors sports, and you don't want to spring for the 1D X, or a used 1D MKIV (not FF but still a very nice Canon sports/action body), the 5D MKIII is my recommendation. KEH.com has a used 5D MKIII in EX+ condition for $2800.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2013
    Thanks again , I knew the focus system wasn't with the &d 's but really had no idea how far off in comparison it would be .
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2013
    The Canon 6D is an entry-level, full-format, dSLR, with a lovely high-ISO capable imager, but with almost no sports/action qualifications. The primary problem is the AF section, where Canon elected to use a "very" rudimentary auto-focus sensor. Coupled with a relatively slow overall responsiveness (although better than the 5D MKII in some regards) "and" a slow cycle rate of (optimal) 4.5 fps, the 6D would be predictably frustrating to use for sports/action.

I suppose you can get testaments about anything anywhere on the internet. The 6D is not a sports machine but you can get good sports /action /BIF shots
    e.g. in this 6D thread
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1252637&page=172
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    ohh, and I jsut bought a 60d. should have waited.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    ohh, and I jsut bought a 60d. should have waited.

before the announcement the 60D was selling for $525, the 70D is probably going to be much higher!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    DPReview has added some sample images from a pre-production body:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/11
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    DPReview has a new "User Experience" page for the Canon 70D, which outlines (based on a late, pre-production body) the new features and focuses attention on video performance changes, primarily the new Dual Pixel AF, FlexiZone auto-area and FlexiZone single-point AF performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/7

(Spoiler alert, "... FlexiZone single-point AF gets even faster; seemingly as fast as traditional phase-detect.")
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    thanks
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I would like to see (but never expect to see) on any new non 1D (series) Canon DSLR...

1. ISO 50 or even ISO 25 to enable slow shutter speeds without utilizing an ND filter...

2. Two memory card capability...

3. Audio recording capability to annotate my images...

Not a heck of a lot to ask, especially since my little Olympus 5050Z of the 1990's had all of the above capabilities. Obviously, Canon cannot think that these capabilities are not needed or wanted by photographers since they are included on the Professional oriented 1D (series) cameras...

Another Bell and Whistle available only on the 1D (series) DSLR cameras is auto focus capability at f/8. This capability allows a photographer to auto focus with the very popular 400mm f/5.6L lens plus a 1.4x TC....

Of course what sells cameras to the masses of photographers are articulating LCD's, gazillion ISO capability and video. Maybe, they will come out with an 80D in the choice of chartreuse, fuschia and shocking pink. Now that should really sell the cameras! My wife selected her Canon P&S camera because of cute color in which it was available.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I would like to see (but never expect to see) on any new non 1D (series) Canon DSLR...

1. ISO 50 or even ISO 25 to enable slow shutter speeds without utilizing an ND filter...

2. Two memory card capability...

3. Audio recording capability to annotate my images...

Not a heck of a lot to ask, especially since my little Olympus 5050Z of the 1990's had all of the above capabilities. Obviously, Canon cannot think that these capabilities are not needed or wanted by photographers since they are included on the Professional oriented 1D (series) cameras...

Another Bell and Whistle available only on the 1D (series) DSLR cameras is auto focus capability at f/8. This capability allows a photographer to auto focus with the very popular 400mm f/5.6L lens plus a 1.4x TC....

Of course what sells cameras to the masses of photographers are articulating LCD's, gazillion ISO capability and video. Maybe, they will come out with an 80D in the choice of chartreuse, fuschia and shocking pink. Now that should really sell the cameras! My wife selected her Canon P&S camera because of cute color in which it was available.

5D3 already does #1 (50 ISO) and #2. Also has AF at f/8. I can AF with my 400 5.6 and my 1.4x TC just fine. No need to go to 1D's. And at less than half price if you can find a good deal.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    I would love to see a DSLR offered with ISOs down as low as 5 or 10 even. Think what you could do with long shutter speeds, whiteout ND filters.. Can't be that hard to do, I would think with present technology.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    ... 1. ISO 50 or even ISO 25 to enable slow shutter speeds without utilizing an ND filter...

pathfinder wrote: »
    I would love to see a DSLR offered with ISOs down as low as 5 or 10 even. Think what you could do with long shutter speeds, whiteout ND filters.. Can't be that hard to do, I would think with present technology.

Sadly, CMOS sensor technology would suffer in dynamic range as it is desensitized to simulate lower ISOs. The highest zone is simply allowed to "spill over" and extreme highlights get clipped. An additional EV of dynamic range is lost for each halving of the base ISO.

You can simulate lower ISOs yourself by adding a +EC compensation during capture and then adjusting (pulling) the RAW file in post, but I guarantee that you will lose highlight detail and it becomes very visible after that first ISO fractional. (For the Canon 5D MKIII, a lower ISO synthesized from ISO 100 with an EC of +1 during capture and then "pulled" in post-production should exactly match an in-camera expanded ISO 50.)

Need more proof? If you head over to the DXOMark site and look at the Measurements - ISO Sensitivity chart for the Canon 5D Mark III you should see this:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/795%7C0/(brand)/Canon

i-gJsfhcW.jpg

Note how the expanded ISO 50 has the exact same sensitivity as ISO 100.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Will the 70D utilitize all the nifty new features of the 600EX-RT flash?

And I agree with Ziggy's comments about low ISO. If you need long shutters, you are, by far, better off shooting at ISO 100 and using ND filters. The only way the manufacturers could change this would be to slide the entire ISO range down. So, to get a good, functional, quality ISO 10, for example, you'd suffer wildly on the higher ISOs. There is only so much range you can build into a sensor, and right now, the manufacturers are concentrating on high ISO, not low.

In my opinion this is the right thing to do. You can always slap a filter on to cut the amount of light down. Its really hard to do the opposite. :) And better high ISO performance means that you can use cheaper f/4 glass, even f/5.6 glass, in more situations, or shoot without flash in more situations.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu