Options

[Implemented] Map This!

13»

Comments

• Options
    ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    Hi Lesley, at the risk of sounding incredibly ignorant...

where are you typing in the locations? I tried to open the map and type stuff in and nothing happened. Are you talking about the same map?

I believe Lesley is talking about editing / adding the GPS co-ordinates to a picture (Edit -> Edit Geo Location), not talking the map where you view your already tagged pictures. SM used to use Google Maps, but now is using MapQuest, so the data / source location data is different and it appears not all regions are as easily searchable.
    I have always used the map feature for my photos

Out of curiosity Lesley, why do you use SmugMug for setting GPS coordinates? I generally prefer to do that locally on my machine so my copies are also geotagged before uploading to SM. I use Lightroom, but I believe there are many programs that offer it. I know it's a workaround instead of a fix, but just curious about your work flow / usage.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    ande8150 wrote: »
    I believe Lesley is talking about editing / adding the GPS co-ordinates to a picture (Edit -> Edit Geo Location), not talking the map where you view your already tagged pictures. SM used to use Google Maps, but now is using MapQuest, so the data / source location data is different and it appears not all regions are as easily searchable.

Out of curiosity Lesley, why do you use SmugMug for setting GPS coordinates? I generally prefer to do that locally on my machine so my copies are also geotagged before uploading to SM. I use Lightroom, but I believe there are many programs that offer it. I know it's a workaround instead of a fix, but just curious about your work flow / usage.
    People often assume that it's best for another person to do their additions or editing or geotagging with another program instead of doing it on SmugMug. Remember, people have plenty of their own reasons. One major one for me is often that I'm traveling and don't have access to certain types of computers or certain programs, etc. Sometimes all you have access to is an internet cafe and SmugMug, and so you need that tool on SmugMug. That's just one of many reasons. I guess it just surprises me how many photographers make the assumption that everyone has constant home-computer (or even wi-fi) access!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2013
    People often assume that it's best for another person to do their additions or editing or geotagging with another program instead of doing it on SmugMug. Remember, people have plenty of their own reasons. One major one for me is often that I'm traveling and don't have access to certain types of computers or certain programs, etc. Sometimes all you have access to is an internet cafe and SmugMug, and so you need that tool on SmugMug. That's just one of many reasons. I guess it just surprises me how many photographers make the assumption that everyone has constant home-computer (or even wi-fi) access!

Fair enough. Just figured that no matter where you do it, SM isn't ideal for editing in general so would get limited use for geotagging. Understand that people have their own reasons, hence why I asked. Not to judge.
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2013
    The issue with accessing photos behind password protection should be fixed.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for the edit geo location tool, might want to put that in a different thread under a proper forum as these are separate features.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    The issue with accessing photos behind password protection should be fixed.

It is not working for me. I still only get one picture to appear on the map when in a password protected site.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    Good stuff, love that the 200 limit has been binned!

Couple of questions:

1 - is there any way to stop it defaulting to the whole world when you first open a map (from lightbox for one photo)? I only have photos geotagged in one "tiny little island off the European coast" so showing Africa, Asia and the Americas isn't helpful.

i-s5KSsvx-S.png

2 - also when setting up a map block, I get the option of specifying a "max number" but this is limited to 200 photos. I thought the limits were now 5000, or 1000 in some cases? What gives?

i-Bb8Ds4B-S.png

3 - Is it possible to have a map that shows all the photos in a folder of galleries (e.g. for showing ALL of my wedding shoots on one map, or for showing a map of several related shoots together)?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Big problem: I have to click every photo in the gallery to find one with a globe. Then clicking
    globe shows all the photos with geo data. There's no direct click to see "this gallery".

I do not tag ever photo but only a few so the location of the galleries photos can be seen.
    Any update on this? We need a general globe for the whole gallery. With only a few in each gallery with
    geo data it almost impossible to find a globe without going thru every photo, sometimes 100's.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    ande8150 wrote: »
    It is not working for me. I still only get one picture to appear on the map when in a password protected site.

Can this be added to the open bug list? It is still not working for a password protected site.
  • Options
    QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    I would like to see the Map This button on the Collage Landscape layout; i.e. for the entire gallery, not just for a single photo in the Lightbox.

Similar to how the "Share This" button is also missing gallery-wide...