Options

[Implemented] Map This!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    So where do I enable the "Map This" button? I checked "on" for "Enable Map Features".

Edit: fount it, wow that's completely obvious.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Sorry, just edited my post for where to find the map icon! Will be a globe under the photo (or in lightbox) if available. here's an example of an image with the globe: http://moiraine.smugmug.com/popular/i-6C2gqmj
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Added all galleries CSS.
    .sm-button.sm-button-image-map:after {
       content:" Map This"
    }

• Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    What is the new photo limit on the map?

Looks like we have to hunt for a particular in all the icons on the map. No thumbs on right to go
    directly to a photo.

Ah, for any photo you click the globe the icon for that photo shows as green on the map. thumb.gif
    Refresh page to clear green icon.

One photo I get two icons for same photo. Found another ... and another.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-H-Z/i-FptLBXm

Looks like selected photo always shows with a "2" icon.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    The photo limit is in theory limitless... in reality, we don't want to show anything that's not in your gallery, so 5000 images if every single image in the gallery is geotagged (we did test that internally and the map did not spontaneously combust from too many pins).

It's worth noting that popular galleries are currently limited to 1000 images so that's the cap there, whereas keyword galleries have 5000 limit so there will be 5000.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Allen wrote: »

One photo I get two icons for same photo. Found another ... and another.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-H-Z/i-FptLBXm

under the release notes there's a known issue - every time you click the icon to open the map, a duplicate will be added to indicate the selected state
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Many moon ago I had to split one gallery into two galleries because of the original 150 limit. Then the 200 limit
    came along and was lucky because both galleries are now over 150 now. I guess I can now combine both galleries
    as I'm up to 328 total. Link to one of the galleries is in post #35. Not unveiled.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    under the release notes there's a known issue - every time you click the icon to open the map, a duplicate will be added to indicate the selected state
    I have been refreshing my browser each time before clicking globe. Maybe I'll try cntl-f5

Edit: Cntl-f5 still gets two.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    can you try to describe which ones are the duplicates you're seeing? The original one you click will always show duplicate
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    can you try to describe which ones are the duplicates you're seeing? The original one you click will always show duplicate
    Link in post #35 but it seems to be happening to them all.
    - known issue: selected pins will be ADDED to the map every time the map opens, so duplicates will occur if user opens the map multiple times in one session
    Can you describe what a session is? I've been doing a Cntl-f5 (refresh). Maybe that's only
    working on images and not other data.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    allen - the first one you click after you refresh will always show a duplicate. so if you're checking each image one by one, every time there will be a duplicate of that image, even after refreshing.

Whenever you click the globe icon, the image you clicked on WILL be a duplicate, unless you are in a non-fully-supported gallery (like date galleries, or global popular/keyword). Single images will also work in content blocks.

But for normal galleries, whatever image you open the map on will be duplicated, that is the known issue.

A "session" (poorly worded on my part) really means one refresh.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Big problem: I have to click every photo in the gallery to find one with a globe. Then clicking
    globe shows all the photos with geo data. There's no direct click to see "this gallery".

I do not tag ever photo but only a few so the location of the galleries photos can be seen.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    If I could make a suggestion.

I tried a little experiment with this new feature. I went to where you edit the location, and see you needed decimal conversions for Latitude & Longitude.

i-K3QLknN-L.jpg

I happen to post landscapes on Panoramio just for the heck of it. There I can get the exact Latitude & Longitude in the traditional Degree & Seconds.

i-2n57tnh-L.jpg

When I used the converter you linked to in the interface I got decimals, but it placed the image in Mongolia.

Can't you just set it up to use the traditional Degrees & Seconds? A user like me could then just copy/paste from one site to the other.
  • Options
    MagicalOceansMagicalOceans Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    General map
    On my "Search" page I have a map where I would like to show ALL the galleries with Map Feature enabled.
    However, the choice of the source is still only "Recent Photos" or "Popular Photos".

Is it possible at this stage to do what I intend to do?
    Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Maciej
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.
    Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen)
    Magical Oceans
  • Options
    ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    A map for galleries has been shipped. This will continue to be improved over time, but here are some details about what we shipped with:

- a globe icon has been added beneath photos (in journal/smugmug style) and in lightbox for photos that qualify for being shown in a map (has latitude/longitude data and parent gallery has map features enabled)
    - galleries that will draw from the whole album: user keyword, user popular, all other regular galleries
    - galleries that will only add the image selected: global keyword, global popular, global and user date
    - map also exists in lightbox views of content blocks that open to lightbox
    - "enable map features" has moved in gallery settings from "security & privacy" to "appearance"
    - to keep an image off the map, ensure that its parent gallery has "map features" turned OFF
    - known issue: selected pins will be ADDED to the map every time the map opens, so duplicates will occur if user opens the map multiple times in one session

If anyone notices any issues and have questions, concerns, or general feedback, please feel free to ask.

Great news!

I notice that when I use the Map This button in lightbox when logged in as Owner, the map will return all images from that Gallery. When logged in as a guest (with a site wide password), the map only returns the one image from lightbox, not all images in the Gallery.

Is that the intended behaviour?

Any way for a logged in guest to see all images from a Gallery in the same map?
  • Options
    ande8150 wrote: »
    Great news!

I notice that when I use the Map This button in lightbox when logged in as Owner, the map will return all images from that Gallery. When logged in as a guest (with a site wide password), the map only returns the one image from lightbox, not all images in the Gallery.

Is that the intended behaviour?

Any way for a logged in guest to see all images from a Gallery in the same map?

Hm, if they should have access to the images, then they should be able to see it in the map. Sounds like unintended behavior - I'll have to investigate a bit.
  • Options
    Can you also provide a link to the gallery you are trying to view?

I just tried it myself on my own site and as a logged out user, I was able to retrieve all the images I had access to after entering the site password.
  • Options
    On my "Search" page I have a map where I would like to show ALL the galleries with Map Feature enabled.
    However, the choice of the source is still only "Recent Photos" or "Popular Photos".

Is it possible at this stage to do what I intend to do?
    Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Maciej

The ability to choose more sources on the map content block is still in the works. At this moment what you're looking for is not available, sorry =(
  • Options
    Can you also provide a link to the gallery you are trying to view?

I just tried it myself on my own site and as a logged out user, I was able to retrieve all the images I had access to after entering the site password.

Sent you a PM with the example. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2013
    Added all galleries CSS.
    .sm-button.sm-button-image-map:after {
       content:" Map This"
    }

Brilliant Allen, thank you so much for this little gem.
    It looks as though we are slowly getting back to what was one of the finest features of Legacy SM.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    Hm, if they should have access to the images, then they should be able to see it in the map. Sounds like unintended behavior - I'll have to investigate a bit.

Any further luck with your investigation? Seems it is a browser specific issue. Can it be added to the active bug list?
  • Options
    I just checked a few more things and based on my findings, it seems that the real problem is that images are not being returned from our API even though you should have access (happens with any image behind a password). It's not actually browser specific, I made an error in my earlier testing, sorry about that.

I will see about getting this fixed ASAP, thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    Nicolas MertensNicolas Mertens Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    Excellent. And I like the unobtrusive Earth globe.
    Now, I'm looking forward to "The ability to choose more sources on the map content block..."
  • Options
    I will see about getting this fixed ASAP, thank you for your patience.

Thanks for looking into it. Really looking forward to this feature as mapping wasn't available on the old SM for PW protected sites.
  • Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    I have always used the map feature for my photos - I travel the outback and like to know exactly where I took my photos. Currently in Weipa in far north Cape York Australia. Three weeks ago I was able to use the map feature to find Weipa - this morning when I type in Weipa the map cant find it - it shows Sunnybank California instead. So I try typing in the capital cities instead and still Sunnybank California shows up instead. Has Australia been discarded from your mapping system? I know we live down under but we still exist ! The map feature is the one reason I stayed with Smug all these years. I was disappointed when you changed from Google maps as the new maps are not always accurate for Australian locations. Please tell me this will be fixed fast. Lesley
  • Options
    I have always used the map feature for my photos - I travel the outback and like to know exactly where I took my photos. Currently in Weipa in far north Cape York Australia. Three weeks ago I was able to use the map feature to find Weipa - this morning when I type in Weipa the map cant find it - it shows Sunnybank California instead. So I try typing in the capital cities instead and still Sunnybank California shows up instead. Has Australia been discarded from your mapping system? I know we live down under but we still exist ! The map feature is the one reason I stayed with Smug all these years. I was disappointed when you changed from Google maps as the new maps are not always accurate for Australian locations. Please tell me this will be fixed fast. Lesley
    Your bird locations are showing here on the map. thumb.gif I usually only tag a few highlights in my bird
    galleries just to set the gallery location.
  • Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Your bird locations are showing here on the map. thumb.gif I usually only tag a few highlights in my bird
    galleries just to set the gallery location.

Yes but I want to tag where my recent birds were taken and it wont find the Australian location for me - keeps showing Sunnybank California when I ask it to locate Weipa. Thanks Lesley
  • Options
    Hi Lesley, at the risk of sounding incredibly ignorant...

where are you typing in the locations? I tried to open the map and type stuff in and nothing happened. Are you talking about the same map?
  • Options
    papipoissonpapipoisson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    Here exactly the same thing as Ande8150 noticed (post #46)
    I get all picts of the gallery on the map when logged as owner, only the selected one when logged as a visitor (smugmug gallery theme).
    I this a problem related to the site wide password protected site bug?
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2013
    Here exactly the same thing as Ande8150 noticed (post #46)
    I get all picts of the gallery on the map when logged as owner, only the selected one when logged as a visitor (smugmug gallery theme).
    I this a problem related to the site wide password protected site bug?
    Logged in I get both, sometimes only the single photo and sometimes the whole gallery.
    Seems quite random.

BTW, before clicking another map refresh the browser as it keeps adding additional count of
    ones already looked at. They know about this.