Options

[Implemented] Random Slideshow Order

Comments

• Options
    OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    "Box" = the SmugMug Help Desk. The "inbox".
    What a strange term to choose considering the myriad of slang uses for "box" of which "television" is probably the most innocuous. I had quite different connotations with "paying attention to the box". ;-)
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Oja wrote: »
    What a strange term to choose considering the myriad of slang uses for "box" of which "television" is probably the most innocuous. I had quite different connotations with "paying attention to the box". ;-)

Haha oh behave. INbox!
  • Options
    airmelairmel Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2013
    +1
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Please restore the "Random Start" option for homepage slideshows. Where is the incentive for a return visitor to watch ones slideshow if it continually starts with the same image.

My slideshow image source gallery is setup with mix of different subjects, so I'm not that interested in a "Random Order" option, however it would be nice for others who have a different slideshow image source setup.

Since it was an existing option that was removed, I would think it would not be that hard to reactivate...just my naïve opinion.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Please restore the "Random Start" option for homepage slideshows. Where is the incentive for a return visitor to watch ones slideshow if it continually starts with the same image.

Phil

Exactly, with the exception of one slideshow that pulls from a gallery where I add new photos weekly I have had to get rid of all my other ones. Makes a site look very stale to have a slide show that starts with the same image each time the person visits.

At least we finally have a response that it's at least being considered.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    Makes a site look very stale to have a slide show that starts with the same image each time the person visits.

Exactly... +1 ... currently i replace the photos in my slideshow folder to not have a stalled homepage. A random play is a must have for a slideshow.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Did I +1 yet. If so, then add another one! Fast!
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    Did I +1 yet. If so, then add another one! Fast!

This is received. We know how important it is to you guys and I have conveyed that already. No need to keep +1ing it
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    This is received. We know how important it is to you guys and I have conveyed that already. No need to keep +1ing it

Sorry - I must have missed that. Did you also comment on the request to allow slideshows that display images from password-protected galleries? Or to specify a folder rather than a single gallery?

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Do we have it yet? When will we have it?
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    DBR wrote: »
    ... Did you also comment on the request to allow slideshows that display images from password-protected galleries? Or to specify a folder rather than a single gallery? /QUOTE]

Would be very useful. Too many possibilities are being lost in this new smugmug! Also click through to a certain gallery or folder.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    SVFocusSVFocus Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    Have all the problems with the slideshow been resolved yet? It's been a few weeks and I still have no random order and the few photos people see have this God awful flicker!
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    I'm wondering the same thing (i.e. has it been fixed and when).

Someone posted a workaround for a small number of pictures in which specific pictures were designated for the slideshow and CSS code used to randomize the order of 5 or so pictures. But, this doesn't work for me -- I want random order slideshows through a large gallery.
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2013
    Time for SMUGmug to let us know what their intentions are with the slideshow programming. We have been patient. We have told them what we want. Tell us what your intentions are to fix the many problems. Be specific. There are many issues with the lack of giving us what we could do with customization. There are the problems Mac users are having with the flicker. We have no randomization. There are other issues many folks have reported. TELL US WHAT YOU ARE THINKING TO FIX THIS STUFF. Too much time has gone by with little info from SM. For crying out loud, throw us a bone.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    Most likely, SmugMug developers are already assigned to higher-priority projects which have varying or unpredictable timescales. Even if a randomised slideshow would be a predictable, simple unit of work, no reasonable timeline for release could be provided due to the volatility of those higher-priority projects. So they can't give you a useful answer to that question.
  • Options
    Actually, Smugmug developers have marching orders and priorities. Software engineers (as you know) don't just work on what they desire. Perhaps SmugMug could provide us with their list of priorities. Like I said, we need a bone from SmugMug higher ups. Many of these issues are not being answered. Just MHO.
  • Options
    SVFocusSVFocus Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    I'd like to see a list of anything that's been fixed. I'm beginning to think all we're getting is (a lack of) lip service on all complaints, fixes and missing/removed features.
  • Options
    IgorIgor Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2013
    This would really be good to have. I saw that SM is aware of it, but really, it's one of the MAJOR things I need. It keeps the homepage looking fresh, so people see something new each time they load it. I'm getting bored of seeing the same images again and again already.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    SVFocus wrote: »
    I'd like to see a list of anything that's been fixed. I'm beginning to think all we're getting is (a lack of) lip service on all complaints, fixes and missing/removed features.

We have a long list of issues we fix and implement daily. They are marked as [Fixed] and [Implemented] in the Bug and Request forums.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    Actually, Smugmug developers have marching orders and priorities. Software engineers (as you know) don't just work on what they desire. Perhaps SmugMug could provide us with their list of priorities. Like I said, we need a bone from SmugMug higher ups. Many of these issues are not being answered. Just MHO.

I have mentioned it before, this is part of a larger overhaul of the Slideshow, so Lamah is right, it is impossible to give a time frame, but you will be seeing alot of changes in addition to this one.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2013
    Thanks mbonocore for the update. But, how in the heck are we going to know that it is done? Without a thread of updates, it is a hit or miss thing that we will know about it on a timely basis due only to the threads we are following. We now have a list (very incomplete; but we know you are trying within company restraints about what goes public) of the confirmed buglist - and we thank you for that! We also should have a sticky thread on what IS being worked on for features and when they are available. SmugMug is a company based on paying customers. We are owed the right to know what they are working on. Many of us are using customizations to get around LIMITATIONS of the company software. If something has changed, how will we know to delete our custom code? This is why I asked for a newsletter or a place to sign up for email notifications of all changes with the ability to sign up for it or not at our own will. We still thank you for all you do to help us! You are the best!
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    Thanks mbonocore for the update. But, how in the heck are we going to know that it is done? Without a thread of updates, it is a hit or miss thing that we will know about it on a timely basis due only to the threads we are following. We now have a list (very incomplete; but we know you are trying within company restraints about what goes public) of the confirmed buglist - and we thank you for that! We also should have a sticky thread on what IS being worked on for features and when they are available. SmugMug is a company based on paying customers. We are owed the right to know what they are working on. Many of us are using customizations to get around LIMITATIONS of the company software. If something has changed, how will we know to delete our custom code? This is why I asked for a newsletter or a place to sign up for email notifications of all changes with the ability to sign up for it or not at our own will. We still thank you for all you do to help us! You are the best!

That's what the point of the Feedback Forum was for...you would get email updates on items you voted or subscribed too. But you guys railed into me for using it instead of DGrin thumb.gif

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
  • Options
    \We still thank you for all you do to help us! You are the best!

Oh, and thank you! It's nice to see SOMEONE here understands my plight! :ivar

As much of a hard time you guys give me, I mean in all seriousness, I LOVE the community here. Passionate is an understatement to describe my DGrinners! wings.gif
  • Options
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Oh, and thank you! It's nice to see SOMEONE here understands my plight! :ivar

As much of a hard time you guys give me, I mean in all seriousness, I LOVE the community here. Passionate is an understatement to describe my DGrinners! wings.gif

We are passionate! Our websites reflect ourselves and our photography. We are very critical of our own images and we are very critical of our websites. I really do feel for you and your job. I use to be in the customer service business. People only called when they had problems and whomever answered was the one they vented at. So, while I will still probably give you a hard time in the future, I want to applaud you for all the things you HAVE been able to accomplish for us. So, in this post, I ask for nothing! I just thank you again for being there for us. Now then, when will we get.........!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    Still waiting for this one...
  • Options
    ramdiskramdisk Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2013

I agree......................
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

Ahh! The joy of not much of anything.............
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    Another smugmugger showed me this blog for keeping up with smugmug updates: http://news.smugmug.com/

But quite frankly, all that blog does is FRUSTRATE me because it shows NEW features that are being written and deployed without finishing the existing features. It's like the developers are too bored to fix broken or unfinished code, they would rather play with new toys. That hallmark of a professional is that he finishes the job even when it's no longer fun. I wish there were more professional developers in the world. The mantra should be: no new code until the previous new code is finished. Get 'er done.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    dwterry wrote: »
    Another smugmugger showed me this blog for keeping up with smugmug updates: http://news.smugmug.com/

But quite frankly, all that blog does is FRUSTRATE me because it shows NEW features that are being written and deployed without finishing the existing features. It's like the developers are too bored to fix broken or unfinished code, they would rather play with new toys. That hallmark of a professional is that he finishes the job even when it's no longer fun. I wish there were more professional developers in the world. The mantra should be: no new code until the previous new code is finished. Get 'er done.

Software development in "agile" shops does not work this way. In agile, the political internal will to do anything is driven by "most value first." Meaning, only the features that will provide the most value to the most people will be worked on. There is usually only a small percentage of time adding what I call "Enterprise" features. That's the stuff you mentioned, the "rounding out" of previously released features. Dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's" doesn't provide a lot of value to a lot of people. It provides focused value for a sub-set of users.

The problem with agile is that over time all these little "enterprise-y" features stack up in the backlog. This generally leads to a huge backlog with a whole ton of unfinishable features. The proponents of agile suggest that some day the software will mature enough to be able to finish off those features. This is absolutely wrong, because software development is always driven by humans (who are imperfect). The only way to prioritize a feature out of the backlog is to explain why it provides more value than something above it. If 15-20% of SmugMug users complained about this feature you wanted, it would probably be prioritized. Until then, you just have to wait until some developer at SmugMug is bored one day - or people have complained enough - so that it gets prioritized out of the backlog and in to a sprint.

Until a feature is in a sprint it isn't going to get done. The way to ask for software features from companies using agile methodologies is to ask this: What priority does the feature I care about have in the backlog? How do I move it up in priority? Is there a sprint planned with this feature in it?

For those not familiar with agile, a "sprint" is usually a 2 week work period with a set list of software deliverables due at the end of it. There is only so much work that can be done. If it isn't in the sprint, it usually isn't going to get looked at. There is probably some kind of sprint planning meeting in which SmugMug managers decide what stuff in the backlog will go in the next sprint. That is what you're trying to manipulate here.

Thought this insight might help. Customers need to know what, and how, to ask for new features. I would love more "random" sort features as well. Though, I'd like it to be more full featured than just random slide shows.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    I don't think that SM subscribes to the "agile" philosophy. If it does, it ain't showing.

SM does, however, tell us that it is providing a "quality" product.

Well, back in the days when Q.A. was a noble profession, quality was defined as "the totality of features and characteristics of a product or service that bears upon its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs."

So SM need to make sure that the totality of features actually work (regardless of their "most value first" status), and need to address the stated needs that we keep trumpeting here on these forums, via email to the Heroes, and via the Help Portal contact page.

If it was a car you'd never buy it - it might have a race-pedigree engine/chassis combo with quick-change carbon-kevlar down-force bodypanels and a top-spec leather interior, but it's got four flat tyres and a suspension system based on an Olympic 4-man bob.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!