Comments

• Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2013
    I saw this quote this morning:

New is easy, right is hard.
    - Craig Federighi

RyanS wrote: »
    Software development in "agile" shops does not work this way. In agile, the political internal will to do anything is driven by "most value first." Meaning, only the features that will provide the most value to the most people will be worked on. There is usually only a small percentage of time adding what I call "Enterprise" features. That's the stuff you mentioned, the "rounding out" of previously released features. Dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's" doesn't provide a lot of value to a lot of people. It provides focused value for a sub-set of users.

The problem with agile is that over time all these little "enterprise-y" features stack up in the backlog. This generally leads to a huge backlog with a whole ton of unfinishable features. The proponents of agile suggest that some day the software will mature enough to be able to finish off those features. This is absolutely wrong, because software development is always driven by humans (who are imperfect). The only way to prioritize a feature out of the backlog is to explain why it provides more value than something above it. If 15-20% of SmugMug users complained about this feature you wanted, it would probably be prioritized. Until then, you just have to wait until some developer at SmugMug is bored one day - or people have complained enough - so that it gets prioritized out of the backlog and in to a sprint.

Until a feature is in a sprint it isn't going to get done. The way to ask for software features from companies using agile methodologies is to ask this: What priority does the feature I care about have in the backlog? How do I move it up in priority? Is there a sprint planned with this feature in it?

For those not familiar with agile, a "sprint" is usually a 2 week work period with a set list of software deliverables due at the end of it. There is only so much work that can be done. If it isn't in the sprint, it usually isn't going to get looked at. There is probably some kind of sprint planning meeting in which SmugMug managers decide what stuff in the backlog will go in the next sprint. That is what you're trying to manipulate here.

Thought this insight might help. Customers need to know what, and how, to ask for new features. I would love more "random" sort features as well. Though, I'd like it to be more full featured than just random slide shows.
  • Options
    ramdiskramdisk Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    Time for SMUGmug to let us know what their intentions are with the slideshow programming. We have been patient. We have told them what we want. Tell us what your intentions are to fix the many problems. Be specific. There are many issues with the lack of giving us what we could do with customization. There are the problems Mac users are having with the flicker. We have no randomization. There are other issues many folks have reported. TELL US WHAT YOU ARE THINKING TO FIX THIS STUFF. Too much time has gone by with little info from SM. For crying out loud, throw us a bone.

yes sir....I don't understand what the problem is with letting us all know
    what Smumug is working on and when if there is a when this random issue will be worked on.

Is it really that hard of a concept to grasp, informing the customers?

I have been a customer since 2005 and ALL of my help questions have been answered, and that is why I love Smugmug.
    I know the help people and programmer's are busy, but when you don't have enough time and are back logged, your
    customer base needs to be updated so post like this don't just kept on going and going. OK I'm done beating a dead horse, I'll stop
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

Ahh! The joy of not much of anything.............
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    Time to bring in some hired guns who can handle all these issues in a timely manner.
    Spend some of the money from the rate increases.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    I guess this means no random slideshows? Any word on when? I consider random slideshows a critical feature.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    As I stated, this is part of a much larger slideshow overhaul. This will not be implemented before it is combined with other changes to the slideshow. I apologize.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    "This will not be implemented before it is combined with other changes to the slideshow."

And when will that be? As I stated above, this is a critical "feature" (feature in quotes, because for me it is a bug) for me. Are we imagining sometime way in the future? Or is it understood that there are people who consider this feature critical enough that they will not use the new site or look for another one if the utility we had is not returned?

Please don't make the mistake of imagining that the fact that you haven't heard from people means that they are satisfied.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    Count me as one of those that won't use the new smugmug until this is fixed.

"This will not be implemented before it is combined with other changes to the slideshow."

And when will that be? As I stated above, this is a critical "feature" (feature in quotes, because for me it is a bug) for me. Are we imagining sometime way in the future? Or is it understood that there are people who consider this feature critical enough that they will not use the new site or look for another one if the utility we had is not returned?

Please don't make the mistake of imagining that the fact that you haven't heard from people means that they are satisfied.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    PS: I come back periodically to this thread in the hopes that I will hear this bug is fixed. Is that a waste of my time? Should I be looking for some other kind of notification? When the major revision of the slide is done will we receive notification in some form? Or is the major revision an unlikely enough fix that I should be making other plans?

(Should go check when my smugmug renewal occurs -- looks like Feb 2014 for my decisions).
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    I don't get this... the slideshow needs a major overhaul after just over two months of live use? Are you saying that it wasn't production-worthy at launch headscratch.gif

[fx] walks away muttering about the HST mirror fiasco again [/fx]
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    I don't get this... the slideshow needs a major overhaul after just over two months of live use? Are you saying that it wasn't production-worthy at launch headscratch.gif

[fx] walks away muttering about the HST mirror fiasco again [/fx]
    Well, the slideshow was a buncha steps backwards because it didn't (doesn't) even have the features that Legacy already had available, and which people had all gotten used to & assumed a major "upgrade" would have. But maybe you were being sarcastic... :twitch
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    " But maybe you were being sarcastic..."

I think so. But, yes, the slideshow was not production worthy at launch. It also doesn't have thumbnails, which were available in Legacy.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    I know they are doing a total overhaul on the slideshow and I hope it comes out fast. There have been a ton of features asked for to give back what WAS in it plus the features we had for customizing it thanks to the wonderful code produced by our user base. So, I am HOPING we get all those abilities. If so, it will take ALOT of coding to provide this along with ways to turn features on or off to meet ALL our individual "needs". Willing to wait a bit for them to get it right. Now, I am also hoping they are doing a total rewrite of the keyword system.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    But maybe you were being sarcastic... :twitch
    Enigmatic, maybe? Who can say? ne_nau.gif

mwink.gif
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    mbonocore

thanks for the update
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

• Options
    kp2000kp2000 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2013
    We had the random option in slideshows before...
    ...I'm getting frustrated to see all that we had before is not working on the new platform. Upgrades are great if you don't take away features we already had. The random slideshow is just one of many things I'm finding missing!!
  • Options
    migreenmigreen Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    ...I'm getting frustrated to see all that we had before is not working on the new platform. Upgrades are great if you don't take away features we already had. The random slideshow is just one of many things I'm finding missing!!

Yes . . there are a number of examples of this that are important to me personally. The worst part is that we were seriously mis-led about the upgrade . . a very few old features were listed as features that would not longer work, but not nearly as many as in reality don't work ! There are many great things about the upgrade, but I hate being mis-led (a word that I'm using consciously to avoid saying something much less pleasant).
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

Everyone following this post should go to the above link and cast your vote (all 3) and lets make this topic the highest voted for and really bring it to the forefront. There is only 35 votes and some topic have thousands
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    ramdisk wrote: »
    Everyone following this post should go to the above link and cast your vote (all 3) and lets make this topic the highest voted for and really bring it to the forefront. There is only 35 votes and some topic have thousands

I really doubt that will have any impact at all. SmugMug are already working on this, you're not going to get them to work harder by adding votes to the feature request.
  • Options
    OneMrEdOneMrEd Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    +1 for this
  • Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2013
  • Options
    OneMrEdOneMrEd Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    Thanks. I saw the other one after I made my post and voted there. I didn't see a way to delete my post.
  • Options
    tenebstenebs Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    Random and no picture limit
    PLEASE add the ability to make the slideshows start randomly. It is unfortunate that visitors always have to see the same slideshow sequence. I was a user of the jfriend slideshow code and I really miss the randomness.

I have also noticed that on internal gallery slideshows the pictures repeat before going through all the photos in the gallery. While I'm at it I would really like to option to move the caption to the top and add the ability to see the caption in the gallery slideshows. My website provides correct taxonomic classification and location information and I want viewers to see those captions.
    Margy Green
    margygreen.com
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2013
    WOW! this thread started over 2 months ago and no upgrade. Smugmug must be working on some BIG changes and hopefully we here about them very soon.

The last entry on there Smugmug blog (new features) was Sept 23 almost 2 months, http://news.smugmug.com/category/smugmug/new-features/
    The last entry on there Smugmug CEO blog was Feb 8 2012 , http://don.blogs.smugmug.com/
    The last entry on there Smugmug Engineering blog was January 30, 2013, http://sorcery.smugmug.com/

doesn't look good
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

• Options
    edited October 13, 2013
    Smugmug announced that the new smugmug was in the works two years ago.
    They said they were working on an improved iPad app well over a year ago.

Almost nothing has been done about the "big" bug list or the list of features taken away (also known as the feature request list).
    We did get a hefty rate increase though.

I agree, it doesn't look good!

Cheers,
  • Options
    smuglukesmugluke Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2013
    Hi y'all, I'm Luke, a sorcerer at SmugMug.

I hope you'll be happy to learn that Slideshow randomization is now available in the Playback menu of your Slideshows.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2013
    Thank you!!!

smugluke wrote: »
    hi y'all, i'm luke, a sorcerer at smugmug.

I hope you'll be happy to learn that slideshow randomization is now available in the playback menu of your slideshows.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    whoop!!
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2013
    I hate to be greedy, but could we have a click through option on the homepage slideshow.

Cheers,
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    AWESOME...Thanks

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬