Google Places Map & Calendar - How I Got Them On My Site

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I've got the layout fixed at 960.

Then in the margins, I have it set top 50, bottom 12, left 250, right 12, container 960
    Steve

Website
  • pipercreekphotographypipercreekphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    have the box and the feed centered on my site now. Calendar -www.pipercreekphotography.com/Pages/Investment
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    have the box and the feed centered on my site now. Calendar -www.pipercreekphotography.com/Pages/Investment

How did you center it?
  • PhilCZPhilCZ Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Thank you!
  • edshedsh Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Splendid hack!! Great work for sure... I will dig into more feed hacks based on this :D..
  • pipercreekphotographypipercreekphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    How did you center it?

Top: 25px
    Bottom: 0px
    Left Margin: 85px
    Right Margin: 0px
    Container: 960px
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    You need a FREE Blogger account. You create a post, paste your iframe into that post. You'll see an interface on the right side where you can add labels to your post. Add one that is specifically for that post.

For instance, if I was embedding my Google Map iframe, which you get from your map, just click that little chain icon to get the iframe link. Once you've pasted it into your blogger post, add a label for this specific post. For this instance, maybe "googlemap."

Using that RSS code I wrote about up top, just swap out your Blogger page name. Mine's LutzR2. At the end put your label for the post you want the feed to come from.

Hit DONE, and hit publish.

Wanted to post an update to this and ask for clarification. I have a Blogger account already, but when I use it to create a new page there's a problem. It posts my Blog info in my Contact Form. I definitely don't want that because my blog isn't a photo blog.

Does this mean creating a whole new Blogger account? Which would mean creating a whole new Gmail address?

Thanks again for the help!
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    edited August 6, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    can you link to the blogger post? It should look something like this:
    http://paulbrockphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/blog-post.html

Here it is. But I don't want my Blog showing up on the form. That's the part in the upper right which says "About Me". My blog doesn't deal specifically with photography, and even though I created a separate blog within Blogger, it's still showing my original blog because it's going by my email address and linking my Blog into the form.

edited August 6, 2013
    McQ wrote: »
    Here it is. But I don't want my Blog showing up on the form. That's the part in the upper right which says "About Me". My blog doesn't deal specifically with photography, and even though I created a separate blog within Blogger, it's still showing my original blog because it's going by my email address and linking my Blog into the form.

the 'about me' section shouldn't show up in the feed. same as on mine the sections on the right don't get imported to my smugmug page. I'd show you but I haven't quite unveiled yet. Do you have a page on your smug site with the feed on it?
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    That link is to Blogger. If you create a custom label for that form, and use the code at the top of the thread, just the form post should show on the feed you place on a page located on your Smugmug site.

On my page, on SM, all I have is the actual post showing. Nothing else.
    edited August 6, 2013
    First, thanks again for helping. I'm going to "get it" at some point.
    the 'about me' section shouldn't show up in the feed. same as on mine the sections on the right don't get imported to my smugmug page. I'd show you but I haven't quite unveiled yet. Do you have a page on your smug site with the feed on it?

I'm not clear on what the "feed" is. Sorry.
    That link is to Blogger. If you create a custom label for that form, and use the code at the top of the thread, just the form post should show on the feed you place on a page located on your Smugmug site.

On my page, on SM, all I have is the actual post showing. Nothing else.

Also not clear on a couple of things still:

1. Which link do you mean?
    2. Custom label for the form. The form on Wufoo, or the page I created from that form on Blogger? And what is a custom label?
    3. And are you referring to the code that was posted at the beginning of THIS thread?

I apologize for not understanding, but I know nothing about coding of any kind. This is like a foreign language to me.

I'm not certain that you're both telling me the same thing. Are you?

edited August 6, 2013
    Short version (sorry on mobile) is that it's a box in a box in a box.

You embed wufoo onto blogger. Then you embed blogger onto smugmug using the "feed" box. This strips out everything but the wufoo box so no blog title or about me showing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    edited August 6, 2013
    Short version (sorry on mobile) is that it's a box in a box in a box.

You embed wufoo onto blogger. Then you embed blogger onto smugmug using the "feed" box. This strips out everything but the wufoo box so no blog title or about me showing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks, Paul. I think I'm not figuring out how to embed from Wufoo to SM, because of the whole piece about creating a custom label. Also, on the Wufoo form manager, what is it exactly I'm copying and pasting to Blogger? I don't know how to create a custom label. So I don't have a successful link to the Wufoo form I put on Blogger.

Also, it seems that there is some confusion as to whether or not what is created in Blogger is a PAGE or a POST on the blog. I'm getting two different messages there, from you and Darter. Or am I also misunderstanding that as well?

edited August 6, 2013
    On Blogger you make a POST of you iframe, and any other content you want to appear on Smugmug. You then create a custom label for just THAT post.

Here's where you create special labels.

Blogger-label-01-L.jpg

On Smugmug, you create a PAGE, and place a Feedblock into it, and use the URL (replacing the red YOUR-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH with your Blogger ID & Label). Publish your changes and you should see the iframe appearing on your smugmug.
    ht tp://www.YOURBLOG.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/YOURLABEL

Be sure to close that gap in the http.
    edited August 6, 2013
    ok back home. You're nearly there Glen, just need a couple more steps.

1. Create a new blank page on Smugmug called Contact, then go to it.

2. Hit 'customise site' and make sure "Just this page" is selected.
    feed%20step%202-L.png

3. From the Content Blocks section, grab a 'feed' section (under Social) and drag it on to the page.

4. You'll want the same settings on the feed box as I've got - number of items = 1, title off, description on, date off.
    feed%20step%203-L.png

The Feed URL is unique to you though, and will be:
    http://glennmcq.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/
    (tried it on my site to check its working)
    feed%20step%204-L.png

5. Then just change the link in your menubar to point to your Contact page rather than the default Smug page.
  • GoodEyeGoodEye Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    My blog is in wordpress, not blogger, so I'm having trouble getting the feed to show up on my custom SM page. I am using the wufoo iframe code, and have an iframe embed plugin installed so wordpress doesn't strip it out. No matter how I post the code in my wordpress blog post, I can never get the form to show up on the smugmug page. Frustrated!!

Code on my wordpress blog post:
    [iframe height="1292" allowTransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="width:100%;border:none" src="http://goodeye.wufoo.com/embed/z7x4m1/"]

How that wordpress page looks:
    http://www.goodeyeblog.com/2000/08/contact-goodeye-photography-design/

Feed I'm using in SM page:
    http://www.goodeyeblog.com/?tag=contactgoodeye&feed=rss2

What that SM page looks like (no form showing):
    http://www.goodeyephotography.com/Contact-GoodEye

I've tried various way to show the feed and various ways to embed the wufoo code - they all seem to have the same end result. What am I doing wrong?
    edited August 6, 2013
    GoodEye wrote: »
    I've tried various way to show the feed and various ways to embed the wufoo code - they all seem to have the same end result. What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure whether it works with wordpress or not - most people have used a blogspot/blogger site for it. May want to check that 'show description' is set to on in the smugmug feed settings.
    edited August 6, 2013
    ok back home. You're nearly there Glen, just need a couple more steps.

1. Create a new blank page on Smugmug called Contact, then go to it.

2. Hit 'customise site' and make sure "Just this page" is selected.

3. From the Content Blocks section, grab a 'feed' section (under Social) and drag it on to the page.

4. You'll want the same settings on the feed box as I've got - number of items = 1, title off, description on, date off.

The Feed URL is unique to you though, and will be:
    http://glennmcq.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/
    (tried it on my site to check its working)

5. Then just change the link in your menubar to point to your Contact page rather than the default Smug page.

Eureka!

Paul, you've helped wash some of the stupid off of me! Thank you!
    rolleyes1.gifclap.gifivarwings.gif

Seriously, thank you, and thank you, Darter02. I just couldn't wrap my pea-brain around the concept of the embedding within embedding. I also couldn't wrap my brain around the "dreams within dreams" in Inception either - go figure!

Hopefully, I'll be able to help someone else now. I appreciate the time you took to explain this.

edited August 6, 2013
    On Blogger you make a POST of you iframe, and any other content you want to appear on Smugmug. You then create a custom label for just THAT post.

Here's where you create special labels.

Blogger-label-01-L.jpg

On Smugmug, you create a PAGE, and place a Feedblock into it, and use the URL (replacing the red YOUR-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH with your Blogger ID & Label). Publish your changes and you should see the iframe appearing on your smugmug.

Be sure to close that gap in the http.

Thank you to both you and Paul. I finally understand this on the most basic level! Hooray!

• AbigayleRayPhotographyAbigayleRayPhotography Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Good Evening! Long time viewer, first time poster here, lol

First off I want to thank Darter02 for this post as it was very helpful in getting my site up and running. My problem is this: I created 3 feeds, one for contact, one for map and one for calendar. I followed the directions on adding the feed to the page I wanted these items on and they were there since Sunday, I even had a person contact me earlier today on the form. Now while updating my site this evening I noticed that all 3 of the above items were not showing up anymore. I have double checked both the blogger info (which is still there and correct) and then checked the feed entry on my site and that info is entered correctly as well. I have checked on 3 different browsers as well as on another computer doing the same as well as my phone, definitely not showing up now. The two places these should show up at are: http://www.abigaylerayphotography.com/Calendar and also: http://www.abigaylerayphotography.com/Contact-Us

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    edited August 6, 2013
    Yep, I'm hitting problems too. The rascals have blocked the hack. And I was minutes away from going live too.
    edited August 6, 2013
    I'll add a warning though - its possible Smugmug will see this is a bug, and remove the functionality. Hope not!
    I would doubt that. They'd have to disable feed blocks. Right now all they host is the feed block itself, not the actual iframe. Or am I missing something??

sucks to be right sometimes. And pretty poor not to bother mentioning the 'fix' before it going live on people's active websites.
    edited August 6, 2013
    WTF!?????????????????????

That's it! I may just go to Zenfolio... asshats
  • edshedsh Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Agree darter.. What they want is censorship. Unbelievable that they cut creativity like this, and everything to mainstream their valuable customers into their control. And then they kick loose and let other companies have JavaScript access to sell expensive templates, feels that this is the road they take. Smugmug, this is getting ridiculous.. Why would js hurt you so much anyway, I mean.. It can't be of any other reason than capitalism values.. So much for creativity and freedom.. All I want is to have a decent slides how, a decent progress bar and some unique effects touch on my site...... This is offending to EVERYONE :(
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Guys, let me repeat what Baldy said in a post this morning

"As for JavaScript, this message keeps getting buried with all the traffic, so feel free to refer to it when people ask in various threads: we planned to include it in this release and like you we were disappointed when we couldn't pull it off. But we have to do it responsibly and that's a very big challenge, hence the reason it's so hard to come by on photo hosting sites.

I think what you'll see is trusted customizers using JavaScript first, not because we have some financial relationship with them, but because the deployment is difficult and we want to get our feet wet with them first."

WuFoo is a great tool, and we DO have this on a very short list of features to research into how to properly, and safely, implement into your SmugMug sites.
    edited August 6, 2013
    that's good to hear. I think people are frustrated that no warning was made for this change, so they could not adjust their (now-live) sites to continue to handle customer queries.

It was a risk of course, as I pointed out at the beginning of the thread. I think a headsup would have been appreciated though.

Hopefully we won't have long to go till we can use wufoo forms. I can probably get away with going live then!
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2013
    Sorry folks. I didn't see this thread until just now. The change wasn't done out of censorship, it was done to plug a potential security hole. We want to allow creativity on the new platform, but we have to do it in a safe and measured manner.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    that's good to hear. I think people are frustrated that no warning was made for this change, so they could not adjust their (now-live) sites to continue to handle customer queries.

It was a risk of course, as I pointed out at the beginning of the thread. I think a headsup would have been appreciated though.

Hopefully we won't have long to go till we can use wufoo forms. I can probably get away with going live then!

Thanks Paul. As I said in the Baldy Post you also comment on

Feel free to blame me for the lack of warning if you are looking for someone to blame. This forum is my responsibility. It looks like code change that happened made it so that workaround was no longer usable. I am not a developer though, so I am not up to the minute with every single ounce of code, but again, it doesn't matter. My forum, my responsibility.

I will take it on the chin for this one.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Sorry, Paul. We feel your pain, but when we become aware of security holes, we have to fix them as quickly as we can.