Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    let27801let27801 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2013
    Ok...I think I'm ready to share and am open for thoughts and opinions. Cheers!

www.d3citypics.com
    I would probably remove the back, forward, pause, and play button off of the home screen and just let the slideshow play. My personal thoughts is I don't like a solid white background but that is me.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I see what you mean now, the trees show through during the transition. I just switched to this slideshow version, the other one I was using, I was able to add a black background which eliminated that problem. I haven't found a way to do that with this version.

RKnecht wrote: »
    Hmmm...I was contemplating removing my slideshow and switching to a single background image. But, after seeing your site, I may use a background image instead of the solid color. My suggestion would be to change the opacity of that background image in PS. I think it competes too much with your slideshow.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Hi everyone. I thought I would share my experience with the migration and the extent of customization which is zero other than tweaking content and margins. Everything on my site was done with out of the box Smugmug. I got quite a few ideas from other users in the various forums so thanks to all. This said to encourage those who think you may need programming skills to get a finished product.

A couple of suggestions and observations based om my experience to users who haven't yet migrated;

1. Don't spend too much time on picking an offered template. Chances are your final site won't look much like the starting point. Mine started as Willow and I tried a few other templates. Instead, decide whether you want side navigation or top navigation and pick a template along those lines and also the default font of the template.

2. If you're a hobbyist like me and not a business then migrate right away and start playing with the new designs. You'll have a few false starts but that's part of learning. I had about three false starts as I learned how to adjust and add items and had to back up but your files are never in any danger.

Anyway after about a week and a half I'm pretty well done and think the new site is a 1000% improvement over the old. There are still a few minor bugs but I've noticed the SM team is plugging away at them.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and details on how to get things done.

Paul

http://paultavares.smugmug.com/

Bit of an update. After looking at other peoples' sites and after following some of the discussions. I've added some minor customizations. Mainly removal of the slideshow button (you can start the slideshow from a large image), removal of the add to cart button, removal of the remnant SM footer, reducing the spacing between thumbs in SM gallery and colour changes to the navigation bar.

I found the Smugocity - Customization Toolbox very useful and also the Frequently Requested Simple Modifications / Tweaks by leftquark.

Thanks to all who have shared their time and knowledge.
    Paul
  • Options
    d3needshelpd3needshelp Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Here's my latest version. I'm still tinkering with it, but mostly minor things.

http://www.sunglophoto.com

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have fun,

Phil

Nice site Phil. I like the macro images.

Is that SmugMug gallery style? How did you get the thumbnails to the left of the main image? Can you adjust the size of the main image?
    Dan
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Bit of an update. After looking at other peoples' sites and after following some of the discussions. I've added some minor customizations. Mainly removal of the slideshow button (you can start the slideshow from a large image), removal of the add to cart button, removal of the remnant SM footer, reducing the spacing between thumbs in SM gallery and colour changes to the navigation bar.

I found the Smugocity - Customization Toolbox very useful and also the Frequently Requested Simple Modifications / Tweaks by leftquark.

Paul

Very nice, I like that is clean and crisp. Nice job! and lovely pics!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Thanks Dan. Yes, it's SmugMug gallery style. As far as I know, the thumbnails are always to the left in that style, however I did play with the various margins to get it to my liking which does affect the main image size somewhat. There may be a way to adjust the size using CSS, but I'm not sure.

I just fixed the problem with the background image showing through my homepage slideshow during transitions. I found a way to add a black background to the slideshow thus blocking out the homepage background image...phew.

Nice site Phil. I like the macro images.

Is that SmugMug gallery style? How did you get the thumbnails to the left of the main image? Can you adjust the size of the main image?
    Dan
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013

Paul

I might be missing something, but I don't see how you can start a slideshow without the button. I'm looking at your sight and I don't see any way to do a slideshow in a gallery. Is that your intention? If so, fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. I believe in the inherent laziness of people. If they have to keep clicking to see images, they are gonna bow out!
  • Options
    ButlerkidButlerkid Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Yeash....me, again!
    I've taken ya'lls comments into consideration....

Here's the latest.......I ready for more suggestions! Comments MUCH appreciated!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Butlerkid wrote: »

Here's the latest.......I ready for more suggestions! Comments MUCH appreciated!

Yes! Its way better, now the images aren't competing. I might nudge the clown image over to the left a bit so that your name can go in one line? I love your images!
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013

Oh very nice with th Navbar at the top now!! Also images layout better now, looks more professional
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Yes! Its way better, now the images aren't competing. I might nudge the clown image over to the left a bit so that your name can go in one line? I love your images!

Interesting.....on my computer, the name IS on one line! Gotta check that out. Thanks!

Also, on my husband's monitor, the homepage is not filling up the monitor, left to right, with images. Can anyone else confirm that there is empty space on the left and right of the home page? Other pages also?

Thanks!
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Interesting.....on my computer, the name IS on one line! Gotta check that out. Thanks!

Also, on my husband's monitor, the homepage is not filling up the monitor, left to right, with images. Can anyone else confirm that there is empty space on the left and right of the home page? Other pages also?

Thanks!

What a difference! Much better, much more aesthetic appeal. On my 27 inch monitor, the images do not go edge to edge. What template are you using? It's possible that the customization to round edges may be affecting the ability of the images to go edge to edge; see what happens if you delete that code.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    I might be missing something, but I don't see how you can start a slideshow without the button. I'm looking at your sight and I don't see any way to do a slideshow in a gallery. Is that your intention? If so, fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. I believe in the inherent laziness of people. If they have to keep clicking to see images, they are gonna bow out!

I take your point.

In the gallery view if you click on the large image the image will fill the screen. At the bottom left corner (just left of the caption) a play icon appears. This starts the slideshow. One advantage is that the slideshow starts at the selected image and not at the first image in the gallery.

Paul
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    What a difference! Much better, much more aesthetic appeal. On my 27 inch monitor, the images do not go edge to edge. What template are you using? It's possible that the customization to round edges may be affecting the ability of the images to go edge to edge; see what happens if you delete that code.

On my large 30" monitor, the images on the homepage go side to side. Hubby's do also on all pages except the homepage. He has a 27" monitor and there is about 2+" blank on either side.

Homepage is set to stretchy....1639 wide (the widest it would let me set) with no side margins. Maybe I need to reduce the left and right side panels? I'll check it out.

All pages have rounded corners, so that probably isn't the problem....but who knows!

Karen

Note: Thanks for the comment! You picked one of my all-time favorite images!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013

Thanks!

It's been interesting watching the evolution of your site. Your site looks really good. If I can offer a suggestion it is to put sub links to Travel, Nature etc. in the Portfolio tab in the nav bar. This way your regular visitors can go straight to their area of interest without landing on the Portfolio page.

Paul
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013

Thanks!

ok I'm on a laptop and didn't have the browser fully extended, sorry bout that. It is on the same line now. But still think the clown should nudge over to the left just to balance the header a little. on my laptop screen the images to extend to the edge.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    I changed the width setting to auto and that seemed to fix the problem.

A friend living in a fairly remote area said each image was taking 8-11 seconds to load!!!!!!

Is it slow for any of you to load pages, slide show or images??????
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013

Thanks!
    the "stretch" bit only work in vertical direction , but aspect ratio is kept
    so on a wide screen , or in a resized window you will see empty space
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    It's been interesting watching the evolution of your site. Your site looks really good. If I can offer a suggestion it is to put sub links to Travel, Nature etc. in the Portfolio tab in the nav bar. This way your regular visitors can go straight to their area of interest without landing on the Portfolio page.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

My husband uses a Mac and I swear he struggles just to use Outlook for email! Laughing.gif!

Once I went to a much simpler menu on the top, he was totally lost. All he knew to do was click on an image, which took him to the Lightbox (NOT what I want to happed, but SM tells me this is the way it HAS to be if you use a collage style...). Then he had to figure how to get away from the full size image, he clicked the "X" and then he was in gallery deep inside my webiste. Then he wasn't sure where he was! Laughing.gif!

Bottom line, I think I may select "None" for "Action on Click" so folks will be forced to use the menu.....
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Pretty instant loading of your photos for me, Karen.
  • Options
    fatdrfatdr Registered Users Posts: 522 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    JefCurtis wrote: »
    I've made some adjustments to the background when on mobile and added a background to the menu bar as well :-)

I hope you likey!

Boneheads.smugmug.com

-Jef

great site and business, wish I was in BC to unload my 3 dogs on you :D
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Bet you can't figure out what I added to my website! It didn't require any coding! :andy
  • Options
    ldawson7777ldawson7777 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2013
    I recently updated my site as well. Questions, comments, thoughts, etc. are welcome:

http://www.momentumstudios.biz/
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    My wife just handed me a "To Do" list, so I guess that pretty well ends any work on my website for a while.

Let me know what you think of my latest version.

If you're really bored, try reading one of my short stories. They include some of my photographs and are fiction based on a real event albeit greatly embellished to be humorous.

Have fun,

Phil

http://www.sunglophoto.com
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    LemansLemans Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Lemans wrote: »
    Take a peek, when time allows.
    www.lemansstudios.com

Thanks! :)

Lee

Denise - Thanks for an unbiased opinion! I greatly appreciate it. :) I would also appreciate any and all opinions, good or bad, to those who are willing to give it. :)
    Leman's Studios
  • Options
    ramblurrramblurr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2013
    I'm loving the new Smugmug! Integration with an existing theme is much easier this time around.

The theme is Smokey with the default logo and navigation replaced with some custom HTML/CSS.

http://photos.elusivetruth.net
    http://elusivetruth.net
  • Options
    LemansLemans Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Allright Customization gurus, we want to see what you have been doing to the New SmugMug. Reply to this thread with your new SmugMug site. If you can also give a brief overview of the additional customization you did, that would be awesome.

We are going to start showing off awesome sites via our social media channels soon, so show us what you got! clap.gif

Michael

Michael, your work is awesome! Wow!
    Leman's Studios
  • Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Hello, my website is below, I used the Template Zoe..... I wanted my website to be nice and clean plus easy to navigate for people, nothing too busy also I wanted the layout to look well on phones or tablets. So I edited the template Zoe a bit, also used smugmugs contact me form. My older smugmug site was all black, I went with white this time and love the new smugmug look.

http://www.lamontphotography.com/

What an attractive, clean site and beautiful photography!

Here's what I've come up with so far. I've been tinkering at it so long, I don't know what I'm missing anymore. Would appreciate any feedback...thanks!

http://peargrin.smugmug.com
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    how to delete all not needed design copies
    Michael or anyone who can help. I'M ok with my published site however when I log in the site looks like the published version but when I go to customize the font has changed, the logo has changed and the breadcrumbs are emphasized which I can't seem to change.

Going to "My Designs" shows me dozens and dozens of "Copy of Zoe" and when I click on customize the site appears to have multiple folders (breadcrumbs) I would like to remove all those 'copies of designs' without loosing my published version so I can proceed as 'normal' to tweak smaller issues. At this moment I'm afraid to touch anything -which might be good thing.
    Hope this is a little clear.
    Thanks!
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Michael or anyone who can help. I'M ok with my published site however when I log in the site looks like the published version but when I go to customize the font has changed, the logo has changed and the breadcrumbs are emphasized which I can't seem to change.

Going to "My Designs" shows me dozens and dozens of "Copy of Zoe" and when I click on customize the site appears to have multiple folders (breadcrumbs) I would like to remove all those 'copies of designs' without loosing my published version so I can proceed as 'normal' to tweak smaller issues. At this moment I'm afraid to touch anything -which might be good thing.
    Hope this is a little clear.
    Thanks!

I found that happening to me a LOT - and only today! The green bar kept showing up (normally I don't see it...) and I ended up with Copy of copy of copy of Sierra, plus copy of copy of Sierra, plus copy of Sierra!!!!!

Perhaps something is wonky or has changed in SM? I've been updating my site for 2-3 weeks and have not had this happen before.....

I just went ahead and deleted all the extra copies of "copy of copy of copy of .......Sierra" except my "Copy of Sierra" which I have used as my original. I figured that if I lost the most recent one or two tweaks, I could just re-do them.