Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    inlovewithsoundinlovewithsound Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    Overall your site looks good but unless you have problems with people grabbing your images I would rethink your watermark. At the very least remove it from the photo you are showing on your homepage. My eyes were drawn to the lines of the watermark, not to your photo.

--- Denise

Hi, thanks Denise...

Thanks for your comments :-)

That watermark isnt suppose to be there... I changed something elsewhere and its snuck in there... in the process of removing now. I generally watermark any photos of children I use, its part of my 'peace of mind' policy for parents. Plus the screen shotters!
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    Definitely weird.

I cleared the browser cache in both Chrome and Firefox, closed the browser, reopened. I'm still seeing the problem.

Might be worth a check from another windows user...
    I'll look again later.

--- Denise
    Ok, so I found the problem double-checking with another computer (it was still ok on mine).
    Actually, that was not because of the dimension settings but because of the choice of the text font. Depending on which I chose, some of those fonts were cut off (weird, isn't it?) while some others were fine. So I just picked a new police (Poiret One in my case) and now everything is back to normal.
    Thanks again for your help! :)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    Ubrane wrote: »
    Ok, so I found the problem double-checking with another computer (it was still ok on mine).
    Actually, that was not because of the dimension settings but because of the choice of the text font. Depending on which I chose, some of those fonts were cut off (weird, isn't it?) while some others were fine. So I just picked a new police (Poiret One in my case) and now everything is back to normal.
    Thanks again for your help! :)
    You're very welcome.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments :-)

That watermark isnt suppose to be there... I changed something elsewhere and its snuck in there... in the process of removing now. I generally watermark any photos of children I use, its part of my 'peace of mind' policy for parents. Plus the screen shotters!
    You're welcome. I figured you might be after the folks just grabbing the photos from your site, especially given that the watermarks are only on the shots of the children, perfectly understandable.

--- Denise
  • Options
    inlovewithsoundinlovewithsound Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    Cant ACTUALLY seem to get rid of it now!! Lol
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    Ubrane wrote: »
    What??? That's weird, I'm also using Chrome (for Mac)... I don't see it like that on m screen.
    I just check my dimension settings and my bottom margin was at 0px, that was maybe the reason. I just changed it to 12px: do you see it right now?
    Thanks again Denise.
    everything ok here.
    (laptop & wide monitor, testing with firefox and chrome on the 2 computers)
  • Options
    JohnwdJohnwd Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    mines up and running
    Like to hear what everyone thinks, and more importantly things I should change.

For example love to add something to my Clients galleries to spice them up a little, maybe if i could increase the size of the galleries thumbnails

Thank in advance John
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    Johnwd wrote: »

For example love to add something to my Clients galleries to spice them up a little, maybe if i could increase the size of the galleries thumbnails

Thank in advance John

Link?
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    Johnwd wrote: »

Thank in advance John

Make sure to post the link! Found this in your profile: http://www.jdphoto.biz/

Website looks pretty good, but needs some tweaking.

- "BIO" goes to the contact link instead of a bio page

- dont like the font choice, looks a little old and isnt easy to read, would love to see something cleaner.

- "whats new" page seems cluttered with different fonts and design choices, would like to see everything match. Also some bad typing/grammar on this page. Proper punctuation, etc, would make a better impression.

-Galleries dont draw me in to your photos, I feel larger thumbnails (and I dont understand the rounded corners) may help

Overall, I like your work, and your site is a great first draft, with some revisions you will be looking good.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    everything ok here.
    (laptop & wide monitor, testing with firefox and chrome on the 2 computers)
    Thanks Serge :)
    Actually, by the time you answered I had already solved my problem as I explained above:
    "that was not because of the dimension settings but because of the choice of the text font. Depending on which I chose, some of those fonts were cut off (weird, isn't it?) while some others were fine. So I just picked a new police (Poiret One in my case) and now everything is back to normal."

But never too late, I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    capturingimagescapturingimages Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    New smugmug customised site - Isis layout
    Here's my site - http://capturingimages.smugmug.com/

I really liked the black arts background display of the legacy site, and initially missed being able to select that as a background on the new site, but think the new layouts available are beautiful by comparison.

The Frequently Requested Simple Modifications/Tweaks post in the forum has been very helpful for css edits, and I really like the new layout - and just a couple of things left remaining that I'm going to edit/update. There's a degree of empty space in the smugmug layout that it would be nice to be able to slightly decrease, by making the thumbnails/main image slightly larger, but otherwise, I'm happy with the new layout.

David.
  • Options
    Here's my site - http://www.capturingimages.com.au/

I really liked the black arts background display of the legacy site, and initially missed being able to select that as a background on the new site, but think the new layouts available are beautiful by comparison.

The Frequently Requested Simple Modifications/Tweaks post in the forum has been very helpful for css edits, and I really like the new layout - and just a couple of things left remaining that I'm going to edit/update. There's a degree of empty space in the smugmug layout that it would be nice to be able to slightly decrease, by making the thumbnails/main image slightly larger, but otherwise, I'm happy with the new layout.

David.

Looks good, I do have to wonder if a black background would work better with the dramatic dance photos. Not sure, thats a personal choice but just a thought.

The only issue I found was that when I load the contact page I get the large "gallery is empty" at the bottom. Instead of using a "gallery" for the contact page , you need to use a "page".
    -Nate
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing out the Contact page gallery to me Nate, had missed that one. I tried using black as the background initially, but the site just seemed too dark, and happy with the white.
    Looks good, I do have to wonder if a black background would work better with the dramatic dance photos. Not sure, thats a personal choice but just a thought.

The only issue I found was that when I load the contact page I get the large "gallery is empty" at the bottom. Instead of using a "gallery" for the contact page , you need to use a "page".
  • Options
    Overall your site looks good. I agree with you on the light background - but I was a bit surprised to see two different background colors. Why doe your homepage and contact page have a white background while the other pages have a gray background?

Have you had problems with folks grabbing your photos? I ask because it's a bit shocking (to me) to see a site where the largest image available for viewing is a medium. I don't think the small size does a good job of promoting your images.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2013
    Thanks Denise. I agree with you about the large size being nicer - but with the large size used, the gallery expands vertically off the screen - is there a way to make each gallery page, including the banner, stay confined within a screen display? There's a lot of empty unused space between the thumbnails and the main display image in the smugmug layout. Thanks.
    Overall your site looks good. I agree with you on the light background - but I was a bit surprised to see two different background colors. Why doe your homepage and contact page have a white background while the other pages have a gray background?

Have you had problems with folks grabbing your photos? I ask because it's a bit shocking (to me) to see a site where the largest image available for viewing is a medium. I don't think the small size does a good job of promoting your images.

--- Denise
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    I've finally plucked up the courage to migrate across and I'm very happy with my new design/theme/layout.

I also like the way it is displayed on my iPhone.

Hope you like it to!
  • Options
    wearepromtionwearepromtion Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2013
    Can't wait till iframes are enabled sighh.

www.wearepromotion.com
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    Can't wait till iframes are enabled sighh.

www.wearepromotion.com

I am confused. I find it hard to navigate and your layout is very overwhelming, especially the homepage. On the homepage you have the main top menu with a redundant menu on the right with social icons, then the social icons change color and switch to the other side of the screen on other pages. I dont see the self promoting "ad" working and it adds to the clutter, I am so trained to not look at web ads that I didnt even look at it till I was almost ready to leave the site, I just assumed you were selling space on your site for an ad.

A few minutes of organization and rearranging will go a long way.
    -Nate
  • Options
    Bobo wrote: »
    I've finally plucked up the courage to migrate across and I'm very happy with my new design/theme/layout.

I also like the way it is displayed on my iPhone.

Hope you like it to!

my only nit pick is that the gallery background is different from the rest of the site, but that is a little one. Nice site.
    -Nate
  • Options
    Your site looks like one big ad with the two sidebars overwhelming your photographs. I shouldn't need to look for the site content and on your site I do.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Bobo wrote: »
    Your site has a clean look to it; I like that.

I don't understand the black background on your homepage switching to a different background for the rest of the site. You would get a more cohesive look with a single background across the site.

It also looks a bit odd to me that your logo and nav are on separate lines. Why not align them?

--- Denise
  • Options
    PhotoactivephotogPhotoactivephotog Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    NEW Site
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Allright Customization gurus, we want to see what you have been doing to the New SmugMug. Reply to this thread with your new SmugMug site. If you can also give a brief overview of the additional customization you did, that would be awesome.

We are going to start showing off awesome sites via our social media channels soon, so show us what you got! clap.gif

Michael

Well, here is mine...

www.photoactiveone.com clap.gif
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    Here is mine after a second round of tweaks:

http://threeguysphotography.com

Denise will be happy to know I have finally added some breadcrumbs to some of my pages... ;)
  • Options
    Well, here is mine...

www.photoactiveone.com clap.gif

I like the clean white look. I would make the header and menu a bit smaller it takes up a lot of space and there is too much white space above it. It make the user scroll down to see your stuff.

At first I though you were the worlds youngest photographer after going to your about page (under Who We Are) ...I bet you get that as much as I get "Where is the 3rd guy?" from mine...
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins

Denise will be happy to know I have finally added some breadcrumbs to some of my pages... ;)

Check out your About Page for this:

"We encourage you to order prints for you extended family"

"you" should be "your"thumb.gif
  • Options
    Check out your About Page for this:

"We encourage you to order prints for you extended family"

"you" should be "your"thumb.gif

Fixed. Thanks!
  • Options
    I like the clean white look. I would make the header and menu a bit smaller it takes up a lot of space and there is too much white space above it. It make the user scroll down to see your stuff.

At first I though you were the worlds youngest photographer after going to your about page (under Who We Are) ...I bet you get that as much as I get "Where is the 3rd guy?" from mine...

Laughing.gif - Thanks, man!!!
  • Options

I like your site, 3 guys! Great idea to put the caption boxes NEXT to the kinds of pricing/services you do with that cool arrow pointing at an image sample!!! I like that and, actually, it gives me an idea... mwink.gif
  • Options

Re: the header & menu bar...

I will play with that a little more. I was actually TRYING to leave some "white space" at the top thinking I would be able to add some Java Script (JS) for things like Google +1/Follow Badges and Pay Pal Badges - but alas, to my chagrin, I just found out that the NEW SmugMug does not support JS yet... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    Well I finally went live last night! It only took 2 months of tweaking and over 500 lines of CSS code but I'm really happy with it!

http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations