Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    lbrubylbruby Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    The complexity of yours shouldn't matter. I think when you set up your link to the gallery you might have chosen browse/page from the options on offer. I just tried it and it gives a URL of 'browse', which is what you have. I set up a folder called 'images' and in the link option for the menu I selected 'page/choose' and pointed it to the images folder. Everything I created after that hangs off 'images', and you should be able to do the same even though you have a more complex hierarchy. Just create an images folder, drag everything into it, and then change the menu link to point to the images folder as the first level.

I guess I'm not doing a good enough job of explaining. I'm fine with clicking on Galleries and having it go to the Browse page. I was aware that this was the choice I made. I'm also aware that it's different than what I have in the sub navigation options when you hover over Galleries on my menu. I did it that way on purpose. However, I do think I should either unlist my whole People folder, or list some of the Galleries in it and add it to the sub navigation options when you hover over Galleries on my menu. I do appreciate the info and feedback. Lisa
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    Anyone else have any thoughts on my site it would be very much appreciated my website is www.k-ophotography.con
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    ko04 wrote: »
    Anyone else have any thoughts on my site it would be very much appreciated my website is www.k-ophotography.con
    Something has changed...

The menu at the top right of your page is placed so it doesn't show all of the entries without scrolling - even with a maximized browser window on my 23" monitor. On a laptop many of the menu entries are not visible. I highly recommend that you try this - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/. Enter your URL then click to different size displays to see how your site looks.

--- Denise
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    ko04 wrote: »
    First, your link is not valid which presents an obstacle for would-be visitors.

However, having found a way to your site, what's the point of menus at both top and bottom? And what's the need for the "Follow KO Photography" line - do you think visitors won't work out what your social network icons mean? And that bio screaming at me in bold caps is bizarre!

I didn't have the appetite to go any further! eek7.gif
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    Made a major change for me
    I have used the gradient background since Andy taught me how many years ago... I got brave and went with an image based on my daughter's urging. Inner pages retain my "legacy" black and orange theme...
    Thoughts please.

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/

Thank you.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    I have used the gradient background since Andy taught me how many years ago... I got brave and wne with an image based on my daughter's urging. Inner pages retain my "legacy" black and orange theme...
    Thoughts please.
    http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/
    Thank you.

Honestly, the big "thumbs" cover up so much of the background in the full galleries that if I hadn't known about the gradient, I wouldn't have paid attention to it. But it does add a bit of flair and does look great in the gallery pages where there are only a few galleries listed. BTW, I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor, and I have to scroll your opening page up and down to view it fully.

The tabs above the Prices and Services page aren't navigating to anything (in Safari). EDIT: Some are - they just take forever to display.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Honestly, the big "thumbs" cover up so much of the background in the full galleries that if I hadn't known about the gradient, I wouldn't have paid attention to it. But it does add a bit of flair and does look great in the gallery pages where there are only a few galleries listed. BTW, I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor, and I have to scroll your opening page up and down to view it fully.

The tabs above the Prices and Services page aren't navigating to anything (in Safari). EDIT: Some are - they just take forever to display.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what to do about the homepage image. I assume different screen sizes will be effected differently... On my monitor (1920x1080) I do not have to scroll at all. Any ideas on a fix?ne_nau.gif
    As for the tabs, I assume you mean the full catalog page... I checked safari and all the tabs are working and switching content as intended. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote: »

I see now what you meant by needing to scroll a bit... the footer does get hidden unless you scroll... not the background image.... not sure how to fix that one...
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013
    Thoughts please.
    I can't get past your opening slideshow comprised of images of all shapes and sizes, most of which not being your best, displayed against and masking a busy background image, thereby resulting in a confusing and discordant presentation.

Have you considered adopting a clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    I can't get past your opening slideshow comprised of images of all shapes and sizes, most of which not being your best, displayed against and masking a busy background image, thereby resulting in a confusing and discordant presentation.

Have you considered adopting a clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site? ne_nau.gif

The slideshow is comprised of published images. That's the reason for the differing shapes and sizes.

As for "have you considered adopting a clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site," I take it you do not like my site much. Please elaborate on what you would consider a "clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site" as I guess I totally missed the mark.
    I am not much of a site designer. I know how to put elements together, but not really what to put together. I had a simple gradient background for years (same as the interior page background), but with all the new SM sites showing image backgrounds I thought that that must be the new trend so I switched.
  • Options
    eternalhopeeternalhope Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    I also like the clean look of your site.

The one thing that jumped out at me is the height of your header - on a large screen monitor it takes up 1/3 of the vertical space. On a laptop, netbook, or tablet the percentage used by your header (and not available for your photos) would be even higher. Isn't the point of your site to showcase your photos? See the first post of the thread The purpose (and size) of a banner image.

Check this tool - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/ - to see how your site looks on different devices.

--- Denise

Thanks for taking a look and offering me your suggestion. I do want to make the slideshow smaller, but can't work out how. Making the logo any smaller will start to lose my branding presence as I want clients to become familiar with the logo, since I don't have my full business name in it.
    I'll check out quirktools too, sounds clever!
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    Overall I think your site looks good - and you already know I'm glad to see the titles in your galleries!

How did you place your logo on the page? The reason I ask is if I resize the browser window it disappears and doesn't reappear until I open a new page. It happens when I make the window larger or smaller, very odd. I checked it in Firefox and Chrome, both current releases.

The Fine Art Photography page looks like it should be centered but it isn't. There is a noticeably empty large space on the left side of the window that isn't matched on the right. Is that what you intended?

You might want to rethink your navbar presentation - at least match the font (all caps vs. mixed case) in the two. I'd prefer to see the navbars match entirely but font would be a start.

--- Denise
    Something has changed...

The menu at the top right of your page is placed so it doesn't show all of the entries without scrolling - even with a maximized browser window on my 23" monitor. On a laptop many of the menu entries are not visible. I highly recommend that you try this - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/. Enter your URL then click to different size displays to see how your site looks.

--- Denise

I think its because I'm using smugmug's dimensions builder and its just sticking to that one spot instead of moving with the screen. I really have no clue how to fix this
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins

Please take a look at my new Smuggy site! I'd appreciate your comments and constructive feedback, if you have time :ivar

Jane of Eternalhope Creations

I loved the look of your site-- the perfect linen background, and I was delighted by the correspondence between your section header script font and your logo font.

Your site isn't so simple, but the clean beautiful design makes it seem so (except as described below) and that is great. The area that I think needs changes is the MENU.

When you click TESTIMONIALS in the menu the breadcrumb comes up and shows you (with the wonderful header type) that you are in Testimonials. This conforms perfectly with user expectations. However, if you click PORTFOLIO, you wind up in At a Glance, which is a subsection of Portfolio. This is disconcerting.

If you click FEATURED, you wind up in Browse. Here you just have to rename either FEATURED or Browse so that they match.

When you click ABOUT you wind-up in Profiles & Contact. Now, here I like where you've gotten. That is, I recommend that you make this page the About page and eliminate the About folder that can take you back to the Portfolio and the Testimonials that you can better get to from the Menu.

[added in update] I just noticed that clicking on your logo takes you to Page Not Found, rather than your home page

Those are my main recommendations. Lastly, I would try not setting the MENU in all CAPS. Once you leave the home page you have 4 fonts or typeface styles on each page. As I'm not a professional typographer I try to stick with 2 or 3 different typefaces. Setting the menu to normal 1st letter Capitalization I think might make the design more harmonious. See what you think.

Congratulations on a beautiful site.
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    The slideshow is comprised of published images. That's the reason for the differing shapes and sizes.

As for "have you considered adopting a clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site," I take it you do not like my site much. Please elaborate on what you would consider a "clean, professional home page that exudes quality and elegant design that is hopefully consistent with the business image you are trying to project, and with the same design approach and elements being maintained right throughout the site" as I guess I totally missed the mark.
    I am not much of a site designer. I know how to put elements together, but not really what to put together. I had a simple gradient background for years (same as the interior page background), but with all the new SM sites showing image backgrounds I thought that that must be the new trend so I switched.

If you don't mind, I'll reply to that as I agree with what WW Webster said originally. When I first looked at your site I thought it was an enthusiasts site (like mine). It was only once I started looking deeper that I could see you were offering photography services. The general look of it made me think that - I can see what Webster was saying. I'm not sure about that background colour - it's too intense a colour and seems to suck the colour and impact from the images on display.

You have an 'about us' (plural) link but the 'note from the photographer' refers to the 'I' and the 'me'. It sounds inconsistent. The type font on that page is too large. I had to reduce it by two clicks zoom to make it look presentable. You could try narrowing the text box as well - It's too wide to read on a large monitor. Have a look at mine which is much narrower http://www.macromeister.co.uk/Admin/About

That gradient page image you have seems rather intense, and again it seems to suck the impact out of the image on full-screen mode.

I know it's personal taste, but having a detailed camera gear list is infra dig. Personally, I'd drop that. Who cares what equipment a photographer has. They are interested in your photographs. Would a painter list his brushes and easel model on his website?

I don't mean to be too critical - I'm just saying what I find. Generally speaking I always find it best to keep things simple, clean, and as elegant as possible, be it a car, a watch, a house, and also a website. The less you have the less there is for people to object to, and provided it works well, there's very little to stop it being a success. Keep it simple.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    I don't mean to be too critical - I'm just saying what I find.
    Thanks MM, so was I, and only because comment was requested! The user himself confesses to being "just a guy with a camera", and his site also looked like those of many amateurs - exhibiting a paucity of style, design and finesse, but trying too hard with over-enthusiastic use of garish colour and features.

The key is to let the images speak for themselves, always remembering that a key difference between good photographers and poor photographers is that good photographers never show their poor images - whether they have been 'published' or not!

In my experience, very few photographers are good judges of website design, let alone being good judges of their own images. Asking for feedback was a good start. Accepting and acting on it is a different matter. However I see he has now ditched the background image which is a positive sign!
  • Options
    If you don't mind, I'll reply to that as I agree with what WW Webster said originally. When I first looked at your site I thought it was an enthusiasts site (like mine). It was only once I started looking deeper that I could see you were offering photography services. The general look of it made me think that - I can see what Webster was saying. I'm not sure about that background colour - it's too intense a colour and seems to suck the colour and impact from the images on display.

You have an 'about us' (plural) link but the 'note from the photographer' refers to the 'I' and the 'me'. It sounds inconsistent. The type font on that page is too large. I had to reduce it by two clicks zoom to make it look presentable. You could try narrowing the text box as well - It's too wide to read on a large monitor. Have a look at mine which is much narrower http://www.macromeister.co.uk/Admin/About

That gradient page image you have seems rather intense, and again it seems to suck the impact out of the image on full-screen mode.

I know it's personal taste, but having a detailed camera gear list is infra dig. Personally, I'd drop that. Who cares what equipment a photographer has. They are interested in your photographs. Would a painter list his brushes and easel model on his website?

I don't mean to be too critical - I'm just saying what I find. Generally speaking I always find it best to keep things simple, clean, and as elegant as possible, be it a car, a watch, a house, and also a website. The less you have the less there is for people to object to, and provided it works well, there's very little to stop it being a success. Keep it simple.

I understand all your comments and certainly appreciate them and those of WWW... but what does "infra dig" mean?

WWW was commenting on an image background on the homepage that I have since removed.

I was looking at that font size today too... Way big!

Gradient page? I assume you're referring to homepage? Yes that was the old background. I put it back in place after reading WWW's comments... As for the inner pages background, I have been trying to come up w/ a color and texture. I have changed it several time today,,, just changed it to a more dark/brown color scheme... If you have time take a look. Thanks.

Oh, I have asked before for comments but always seemed to get bumped before receiving any.
  • Options
    Infra dig.

"Pricing and Sevices"?

"Views' Choice"?
  • Options
    Infra dig.

"Pricing and Sevices"?

Thanks... that's another reason to have folks look...

Thoughts of newest color scheme on inner pages?
  • Options
    eternalhopeeternalhope Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    AmyBooo wrote: »
    Here's my new site. Thanks SmugMug, I'm thrilled!!

www.amygalbraith.com

Hi Amy! Your site is lovely! Warm, clean and artistic. Your photography is beautifully executed- natural and emotive :D I love that style!

I've only just revamped my Smuggy site too, and I'm still tweaking as I get feedback. Would you mind sharing a couple of things from your own site?
    - what settings you used to make your slideshow into the stretchy, landscape format? How does this cope with your portrait style images? Or do you stick to just landscape images for the slideshow?

- which font did you choose to use for the main caption text? I've been scrolling through the available fonts and I seem have missed that one! I like that it's clean, light, modern, and doesn't distract from the images.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the amazing work!
    Jane

eternalhopecreations.com
  • Options
    You have an 'about us' (plural) link but the 'note from the photographer' refers to the 'I' and the 'me'.

You could try narrowing the text box as well - It's too wide to read on a large monitor. Have a look at mine which is much narrower http://www.macromeister.co.uk/Admin/About

detailed camera gear list is infra dig.

I don't mean to be too critical - .

Thanks for being the grammar police... fixed that all I think.
    Also narrowed text boxes to 960px and lower font size to 16px from 20px.
    Dropped the gear page also...

I asked for folks to be critical... I need to hear it. The site started as an enthusiast site and the business has grown from it... I need to update and up grade to look so I need the suggestions...
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2013
    Your site looks considerably better nowclap.gif . The general background colour is much more subtle. The fonts are better to view. And the whole site looks more approachable. It took me a long time to get my site as simple as it is. I had to keep slapping myself on the wrist when I wanted to add some essential feature etc. I've had people email me recently saying how they like the simplicity and style of it, so I assume I'm on the right track.rolleyes1.gif
    but what does "infra dig" mean?
    Latin. Basically - beneath dignity. Or 'not worthy of me'. Camera lists never promote a favourable impression with anyone apart from the cameras geeks. People should be interested in your images, not your hardware.
    Gradient page? I assume you're referring to homepage? Yes that was the old background. I put it back in place after reading WWW's comments... As for the inner pages background, I have been trying to come up w/ a color and texture. I have changed it several time today,,, just changed it to a more dark/brown color scheme... If you have time take a look. Thanks.

I meant the background gradient that is shown when you view an image in full-screen mode by clicking on it. See below. I just thought it had too much 'heaviosity' to use a Woody Allen phrase from the movie Manhattan!:D And BTW - if you want to get rid of those gradient transition lines you get on a gradient you can use gaussian blur in Photoshop once you have created the gradient.

i-9Sj2rCs-L.jpg
  • Options
    Your site looks considerably better nowclap.gif . The general background colour is much more subtle. The fonts are better to view. And the whole site looks more approachable. It took me a long time to get my site as simple as it is. I had to keep slapping myself on the wrist when I wanted to add some essential feature etc. I've had people email me recently saying how they like the simplicity and style of it, so I assume I'm on the right track.rolleyes1.gif

Latin. Basically - beneath dignity. Or 'not worthy of me'. Camera lists never promote a favourable impression with anyone apart from the cameras geeks. People should be interested in your images, not your hardware.

I meant the background gradient that is shown when you view an image in full-screen mode by clicking on it. See below. I just thought it had too much 'heaviosity' to use a Woody Allen phrase from the movie Manhattan!:D And BTW - if you want to get rid of those gradient transition lines you get on a gradient you can use gaussian blur in Photoshop once you have created the gradient.

i-9Sj2rCs-L.jpg

Thanks... I forgot I had the background set on the lightbox... it's now switched to the general site background.... changed homepage too...
    Is the new color combination OK? I'm got very good at picking colors and color combinations...
    I liked the old scheme and would have like to use that color, but it was a bit too bright.
  • Options
    Thanks... I forgot I had the background set on the lightbox... it's now switched to the general site background.... changed homepage too...
    Is the new color combination OK? I'm got very good at picking colors and color combinations...
    I liked the old scheme and would have like to use that color, but it was a bit too bright.

Yes, that looks much better. If you want help in future with colour combinations try the colour scheme designer tool. I have found it very useful in the past. http://colorschemedesigner.com/
  • Options
    flyinghawkflyinghawk Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    any critiques and tips!
    Here is my website. I'm still trying to figure out how to customize the New Smugmug. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated!

http://jcubed.smugmug.com/

clap.gif
  • Options
    Yes, that looks much better. If you want help in future with colour combinations try the colour scheme designer tool. I have found it very useful in the past. http://colorschemedesigner.com/

One more question, if you don't mind...
    I do not want to use the left sidebar on the gallery pages as it makes the thumbs to small (they're too small already) but I was wondering about putting the homepage navigation on the left instead of on top. I would leave it on top as is on all the inner pages.
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2013
    flyinghawk wrote: »
    Here is my website. I'm still trying to figure out how to customize the New Smugmug. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated!

http://jcubed.smugmug.com/

clap.gif

I've seen sites that belong to camera clubs where quite a few different members share the site, each with their own folder of images. It seems to work quite well - and how else could you do it? I'm not quite so sure about two photographers sharing a site - it's a bit either/or split down the middle.

There seems to be problems with the link http://www.jcubedphotography.com/ChrisW/ChrisW-Friends I'm getting a greyed-out folder, and no images but galleries under the folder. That doesn't happen with the Chris side of things.

I'm on a large monitor, and the background images runs out at the bottom. You might want to try a taller image, or repeat it?

Some detail about the two photographers would be good.
  • Options
    JohnwdJohnwd Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    thamk you

Sorry for the delay in responding been a busy time away from my photography

"BIO goes to the contact link instead of a bio page"

Darn, some how I have screwed the Bio page up, ok will sort that right way

"dont like the font choice, looks a little old and isnt easy to read, would love to see something cleaner"

I have been trying to find fonts that give the site a different look for others sites, appears I have but not got that right :(

"whats new" page seems cluttered with different fonts and design choices, would like to see everything match. Also some bad typing/grammar on this page. Proper punctuation, etc, would make a better impression"

I have to agree with you on going back to the new page its did look a mush up, going to create link in the news page to any competitions as to make it much cleaner and leave the typing to my wife.

-Galleries dont draw me in to your photos, I feel larger thumbnails (and I dont understand the rounded corners) may help

This is the reason for putting my site up for critic as i know its missing something but not sure what that gives it the reason to explore/pull viewers in :(

The round corners are again just something I am trying to make them different from most others

Overall, I like your work, and your site is a great first draft, with some revisions you will be looking good.

Many thanks for your input, John
  • Options
    JohnwdJohnwd Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    Hi Dee,

Please forgive me its www.jdphoto.biz

Regards John
  • Options
    Johnwd wrote: »
    Hi Dee,

Please forgive me its www.jdphoto.biz

Regards John

Well, congrats on the cutest dog possible... http://www.jdphoto.biz/Clients/Ann-Cassidy2/Ann-Cassidy/i-ZfBmvMB/A

Your pages are too wide. I don't have zoom set but your pages are spilling over to the right on my large monitor. Did you intend that?

Your bio page is good. Sounds very relaxed and informal, which I guess is important with the work you do.

I want the dog.
  • Options
    AjdrakieAjdrakie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Constructive Criticism on My New SmugMug site, please.
    http://photos.terrasseaudrey.com/

I'm gathering my courage and asking for constructive feedback on my site so I can make it better. :hide

I've figured out most of the customizing, but there are still things that confuse me, and it is sometimes a trial and error process trying to get the look I'd like. So along with your suggestions, perhaps you may have to guide me through the action you advise.

Yes, Rob Ashcroft, you may throw the rotten eggs. As I told you, I know how to duck if I need to.

Thank you, folks. I appreciate your help.

aj