Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited October 31, 2016
    Misfit79 wrote: »
    I agree with the suggestions that uncool posted above.

The movement in the home page slideshow particularly bothers me. It pulls my eyes to the motion, not to your photos.

You are using a very tiny font for some of the entries in your menu. I find it difficult to read. For the most part, I don't believe the tiny font entries need to be in the menu. I also believe all entries in a menu should be active - the top level entry with coming soon sub-entries should be removed.

I'm always baffled when a site darkens (or places a mask) over a photo when I hover over it. That does not induce me to click for a larger view; instead it usually causes me to close the site. (I know, that's a bit extreme - but that behavior on a web page just doesn't work for me.).

--- Denise
  • Options
    Misfit79Misfit79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    uncool wrote: »
    Appreciate the background on the site and its purpose. On to an opinion from a random dude on the Internet. With that in mind, simple navigation is essential, no matter what the site's purpose.

1. Home page image flipper - made me dizzy, I could not concentrate on the images. Make the images near full screen slowly change from one to another.
    2a. Too many menu choices. If you get a large number of people visiting on a regular basis, the "Newest Images" button can stay. Otherwise, delete it.
    2b. Recent updates - same as above. If you have something to say on a regular basis, start a blog.
    2c. Browse - delete it. You have eight other menu items (including the available prints).
    2d. - Available prints - delete it. Unless people are chomping at the bit to buy your stuff, letting people know that there is nothing in the gallery is not going to be useful.
    If you are selling your stuff, why not put a price tag on all your items?
    3. Watermarks - There is endless debate over watermarks - I am not a fan. You are. Some of your images have two watermarks - that's a bit extreme.
    4. Shot selection - I noticed in a frog gallery and an airplane gallery, you have photos that are either the same or very, very similar - limit what you show.
    5. Contact page - The Contact form has a broken image
    6. URL - the sites URL is spelled out under the logo. I'm on the site, this part should be deleted
    7. Subhead - The sites subhead is "Exploring Alberta, Canada" yet there are sections about other areas of the continent.
    8. Social media buttons - currently not working. Remove them until you have some place to send people.

Well that's all for now. And remember, these observations are coming a random dude on the Internet, not someone specifically in your target audience.

Thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    IlyaVishnyakovIlyaVishnyakov Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2016
    Misfit79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been plugging away at updating my site and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

First off for perspective, this site is primarily for me to take pics of all of the animals and birds in alberta, Canada, as such the website is more of a repository design.

Things that are still a work in progress
    1. better breakdown of menus
    2. labels of animals/birds (id is tedious)
    3. Figure out how to add some transparency to the submenus (if anyone can help with this it would be appreciated)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as to the design aspects.

Thanks!
    Rory
    http://www.rjsalpinephotography.ca/

Only one suggestion: increase font size in the following sections: "Recent Updates" and "Exploring Alberta, Canada". It looks tiny on 23" 1080p screen. Also a simple 2d white logo would look better against the dark background (and more modern, if you like). Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2016
    So I did a major design overhaul recently, with the following goals in mind:

1. make the website more functional
    2. make it load as fast as possible
    3. make it look like a 2017 website

Lots of custom CSS and whatnot, and while I like the look of it, any feedback would be appreciated.

Now I'm one of the few (the only?) smugmug users from Russia so the website is entirely in Russian, so have fun figuring out what does it all mean. The sections on the navbar are: Portfolio, Prices, Contact, Blog, Customer reviews, Partners, Gift certificate.

Btw, if anyone loves before and after shots as much as I do, have fun on the following page: http://www.ilyavishnyakov.com/Portfolio/Before-and-after-page-1
  • Options
    uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2016
    Okay, let's check off your list:
    1. Website looks good on a large desktop browser and small iPhone
    2. Site did load quickly
    3. Design looks clean and current

Observation time:
    Very nice photography. Excellent control of light and post-processing.

Right now, there are two, stacked logos displaying on every page - not sure if you are currently working on the site or not. If not, only display one logo. And I would like to see the logo moved to the left so the nav bar could be raised up. This would allow more photo to show when the site loads.

Gift Certificate page - adding a PayPal (or similar) link will make it easier and quicker for people to give you money.

Many of the photos have Buy buttons - are you actively trying to sell customer's photos to anyone? Do you have permission from the subjects to sell those photos to everyone? If not, remove the Buy button.

For your Contact photo, the lighting is good however I would like to see more of your right arm. The sleeve and shirt blend together making it look like the arm is missing. Now if it is missing, than it's fine as is but that was my first reaction when I saw the photo.

Overall you achieved your goals for the site. The content is well thought out, the Blog and Partners sections are nice additions, and again, the photography is very well done.

So I did a major design overhaul recently, with the following goals in mind:

1. make the website more functional
    2. make it load as fast as possible
    3. make it look like a 2017 website

Lots of custom CSS and whatnot, and while I like the look of it, any feedback would be appreciated.

Now I'm one of the few (the only?) smugmug users from Russia so the website is entirely in Russian, so have fun figuring out what does it all mean. The sections on the navbar are: Portfolio, Prices, Contact, Blog, Customer reviews, Partners, Gift certificate.

Btw, if anyone loves before and after shots as much as I do, have fun on the following page: http://www.ilyavishnyakov.com/Portfolio/Before-and-after-page-1
    Well every person you can know,
    And every place that you can go,
    And any thing that you can show,
    You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2016
    uncool wrote: »
    Okay, let's check off your list:
    1. Website looks good on a large desktop browser and small iPhone
    2. Site did load quickly
    3. Design looks clean and current

Observation time:
    Very nice photography. Excellent control of light and post-processing.

Right now, there are two, stacked logos displaying on every page - not sure if you are currently working on the site or not. If not, only display one logo. And I would like to see the logo moved to the left so the nav bar could be raised up. This would allow more photo to show when the site loads.

Gift Certificate page - adding a PayPal (or similar) link will make it easier and quicker for people to give you money.

Many of the photos have Buy buttons - are you actively trying to sell customer's photos to anyone? Do you have permission from the subjects to sell those photos to everyone? If not, remove the Buy button.

For your Contact photo, the lighting is good however I would like to see more of your right arm. The sleeve and shirt blend together making it look like the arm is missing. Now if it is missing, than it's fine as is but that was my first reaction when I saw the photo.

Overall you achieved your goals for the site. The content is well thought out, the Blog and Partners sections are nice additions, and again, the photography is very well done.

Thank you so much. Yes I was trying some things out which is why two logos were displayed at the same time. I removed the 2nd one.

No I don't sell any of the images through the website, I didn't know I could remove the "buy" button rolleyes1.gif I see it now, I will remove the button from all of the galleries.
  • Options
    Misfit79Misfit79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2016
    Only one suggestion: increase font size in the following sections: "Recent Updates" and "Exploring Alberta, Canada". It looks tiny on 23" 1080p screen. Also a simple 2d white logo would look better against the dark background (and more modern, if you like). Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I have modified the fonts throughout the nav bar for easier visability.
  • Options
    Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2016
    Finally, a site refresh!
    After a couple (or few) years with no updates, I did a slight revision to my site.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this - impressions, good, bad, advice, things to improve, etc! From the front page, galleries, other pages ... or, critique on my photos if you want! Most of you have experience doing your own or, helping others do the same, so I look forward to your thoughts!

My goal was a site that looked professional, impactful, clean/simple and gave users a great first impression as they arrive via a Google image search, social media, etc. I'm not a pro at customization, so hopefully I got what I wanted...

Take a look: My Refreshed SmugMug Site!

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2016
    Jay_Z wrote: »
    I'd appreciate any feedback on this - impressions, good, bad, advice, things to improve, etc!
    My goal was a site that looked professional, impactful, clean/simple and gave users a great first impression ...

http://www.jeffzenner.com
    I would recommend looking at your site on different devices. Even on a large screen I think your header is too tall - and on a small device or phone it takes up half of the vertical space. Do you want your visitors to focus on your header or on your photos? You can use this tool to see your site on different sized devices - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/.

I was surprised to see that the largest size photo you have enabled for viewing is a medium. That's a fine size for a phone, but on a large monitor that's pretty small.

It looks like you are allowing keywords to be created based on your file names. Take a look at http://www.jeffzenner.com/keyword. You might want to remove the numeric keywords. Consider turning the automatic generation of these keywords off. You can find the setting in Account Settings... Discovery... Search... Filename keywording.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2016
    I would recommend looking at your site on different devices. Even on a large screen I think your header is too tall - and on a small device or phone it takes up half of the vertical space. Do you want your visitors to focus on your header or on your photos? You can use this tool to see your site on different sized devices - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/.

I was surprised to see that the largest size photo you have enabled for viewing is a medium. That's a fine size for a phone, but on a large monitor that's pretty small.

It looks like you are allowing keywords to be created based on your file names. Take a look at http://www.jeffzenner.com/keyword. You might want to remove the numeric keywords. Consider turning the automatic generation of these keywords off. You can find the setting in Account Settings... Discovery... Search... Filename keywording.

--- Denise

Awesome, thanks for the feedback on this. I used this tool - yes, I see what you mean with this!

On the header, I guess for me the best way to make this smaller is to reduce the size of the logo/image? I have the size on auto - otherwise, I also reduced the menu text to L and the social icons to S which should further reduce this.

Not sure why I selected Medium size photos some time ago ... thanks for noticing that, I'll adjust that!

Thanks for the info on the Filename keyboarding, never really looked at this option before. I will turn this off until one of these days when I get the Title, Captions and Filenames all properly completed - which should help with SEO too. I'd like them more search engine friendly since the agriculture section is more of a stock image gallery (hence the number of images).

Again, thank you so much. I know you've seen a lot ... a lot of pages, so I appreciate your perspective on this!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2016
    Thanks for the info on the Filename keyboarding, never really looked at this option before. I will turn this off until one of these days when I get the Title, Captions and Filenames all properly completed - which should help with SEO too.
    Unless you start renaming your image filenames before you upload them to smug you should leave the filename keywording off - otherwise you will again end up with numeric keywords that mean nothing.

There is a remove numeric keywords option on the keyword screen in the organizer. If you go gallery-by-gallery, select all of the photos, and remove numeric keyword I would think the removal could be done relatively quickly.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2016
    After a couple (or few) years with no updates, I did a slight revision to my site.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this - impressions, good, bad, advice, things to improve, etc! From the front page, galleries, other pages ... or, critique on my photos if you want! Most of you have experience doing your own or, helping others do the same, so I look forward to your thoughts!

My goal was a site that looked professional, impactful, clean/simple and gave users a great first impression as they arrive via a Google image search, social media, etc. I'm not a pro at customization, so hopefully I got what I wanted...

Take a look: My Refreshed SmugMug Site!

Thank you!

Not sure if you changed the header size but it looks okay to me now. The majority of users have 1080p screens and it looks okay on a 1080p screen. Screen resolution is likely to increase over the text few years (already there are plenty of cheap 1440p screens), and the header gets smaller on higher resolution screens.

There is one suggestion tho, on Services page at the buttom it says "Call today to discuss your next project!", but there is no actual phone number. I suggest you change that to "Call +1 Bla Bla Bla today ...".

And you can safely increase photo size to at least Large or XLarge. The images will be too small to be usable unless bought but they will also look nice on 1080p screens and above.
  • Options
    picomomentspicomoments Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2016
    I love the look of your site but might I suggest that you don't start your homepage slide show with a food photo. Maybe a landscape or portrait might be better.

Thank you, appreciate the feedback ;-) I've tweaked it further. The slideshow randomises the photos.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2016
    I like the nice clean look of your site, well done.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise
  • Options
    Johnny DakarJohnny Dakar Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2016
    Here's my site...Critique, please.
    Be brutal if necessary.

https://johnwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,453 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2016
    Are you using your site to get more business via the search engines? If so, you really need to read my 'SEO for the Photographer' in my signature below.

First place I go when I go to a new site is read their 'About Me' page. You don't have one.

I don't like default 'Browse', at least on the navigation bar. I prefer seeing a drop-down.

I would suggest buying your own domain. Seeing a 'my-name.smugmug' doesn't say "Professional" to me.
  • Options

@Johnny Dakar said:
    Here's my site...Critique, please.
    Be brutal if necessary.

Like Hikin' Mike stated - you need to spell out what the purpose of your site is -
    Are you are selling prints?
    Are you trying to get gigs?
    Are you just wanting to show off your skills?
    The main reason for your site will dictate what you should do next.

At the very least, name your site/company/service - "Photo" is pretty generic. "John Wiliams" will be tough to get separation from the other JW's out there. "Johnny Dakar" is a possibility especially if have any times to the Rally.

Check out some CSS to raise the placement of the photos on your pages. I'm a fan of the left nav area but your site has too much white space on top. And once again, I agree with H Mike - you need a true menu bar to help guide people.

Remove the search button as well. I searched for portraits and landscape and received zero results even though you have content in both of those categories. Only keep the search if you are selling prints and then make sure your photos are well tagged.

Good photography by the way.

You know they're nouns.
  • Options

Hi all,

I've spent a couple of days playing around with my site and finally reworked my site, www.picomoments.com

Please have a look and provide some feedback. All comments welcome ;-)

• Options

Hey @picomoments - very nice site and photography. The site organization covers the major points a working photog's site should:
    Impactful home page
    Pricing
    About
    Contact

Well done.

Becuase the site is so well done - I'm going to be really picky - feel free to ignore:
    The font choice and color on the About page - difficult for me to read
    You state "Drop me a line or a comment" but you don't have an active link - add a link, make it easy to contact you
    Same goes for the Pricing page - make the email address live and make the Contact link go to the Contact page

Again, well done.

@picomoments said:
    Hi all,

I've spent a couple of days playing around with my site and finally reworked my site, www.picomoments.com

Please have a look and provide some feedback. All comments welcome ;-)

You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2016

@picomoments I love the design and your photos are great.

A couple of things to note:

1. There is some ambiguity to what "My Days" in the navigation bar means. When I hover, it shows, among other things, "Cars" and "Motorcycles". Basically with UX design in mind you want the navigation on your website to be self-explanatory. Maybe create a "browse" or "categories" page with different folders, such as "places", "2016", "2015" and such?
    2. Text on about page is not very readable. I'm using a 23" 1080p display with 110% scaling so I suspect without scaling it'd be very hard to read. I suggest you increase font size or change the font of texts. Mind that on higher resolution displays (1440p and above) the font looks even smaller.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2016

@Johnny Dakar I suggest you add an "About" page and replace "PHOTO BY..." with an actual logo. Right now it looks kinda "default" to me, like a placeholder for an actual logo.

I also love your style. It's wildly different from what I do and like (I would probably photoshop the hell out of some images), but the emotion is there, and the "raw" look of some images does make them stand out.

• Options
    ADWheelerADWheeler Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
  • Options
    Johnny DakarJohnny Dakar Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    > @IlyaVishnyakov said:
    > @Johnny Dakar I suggest you add an "About" page and replace "PHOTO BY..." with an actual logo. Right now it looks kinda "default" to me, like a placeholder for an actual logo.
    >
    > I also love your style. It's wildly different from what I do and like (I would probably photoshop the hell out of some images), but the emotion is there, and the "raw" look of some images does make them stand out.

Thanks, Ilya. The idea was to keep it simple. I do need an "about," thanks to you can Mike for that. I would LOVE to get the textures you get on your portraits with Photoshop...I simply Lightroom the hell out of everything. Just now learning Frequency Separation.

More than anything, I need to take more pictures.
  • Options
    nickjamisonnickjamison Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins

BEAUTIFUL SITE! Bravo man! One question...howd you get your logo and menu at the top to "pin" to the top of the browser??

nickjamison.com

• Options
    DudamelDudamel Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2016

Want to show you guys my personal website.

http://www.dudamel.com.ar

Feel free to criticize.

Luis Dudamel.
    My site. | My Instagram.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@Dudamel said:

Feel free to criticize.

You certainly have some beautiful images, but looking through the various pages it is difficult to determine what type of photography you do. On your bio page, it states that "Specialized in portrait and conceptual photography" but there are a ton of images that do not fall into those categories.

The site is clean and easy to navigate which is really nice.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2016

@Cygnus Studios said:

@Dudamel said:

Feel free to criticize.

You certainly have some beautiful images, but looking through the various pages it is difficult to determine what type of photography you do. On your bio page, it states that "Specialized in portrait and conceptual photography" but there are a ton of images that do not fall into those categories.

The site is clean and easy to navigate which is really nice.

Thanks for taking the time.

Yeah, my main issue right now is trying that my images define me as a photographer.
    I have to work on it.
    I thought the "portfolio" showed this "portrait and conceptual" claim i did.

Glad the website layout, colors, etc feels "clean and easy", that's what im working in the meantime.

Luis Dudamel.
    My site. | My Instagram.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@Dudamel said:

Yeah, my main issue right now is trying that my images define me as a photographer.
    I have to work on it.

Glad the website layout, colors, etc feels "clean and easy", that's what im working in the meantime.

You've changed the portfolio section, that makes a huge a difference and is more in line with your bio. Showcasing what defines you is difficult for all photographers. No one photographs just one thing. However, your website is your portfolio and that should reflect what you do. For all the other images, social media and forums are a nice way to show off the pretty stuff.

If you're not using the website for "business", you could create a separate page for the pretty images that fall outside of main stuff.

Steve

Website
  • Options

@Cygnus Studios said:

@Dudamel said:

I have to work on it.

You've changed the portfolio section, that makes a huge a difference and is more in line with your bio. Showcasing what defines you is difficult for all photographers. No one photographs just one thing. However, your website is your portfolio and that should reflect what you do. For all the other images, social media and forums are a nice way to show off the pretty stuff.

If you're not using the website for "business", you could create a separate page for the pretty images that fall outside of main stuff.

Really appreciate your insight.
    Yes, is hard to stick to one theme when you're taking pictures of everything.
    Thanks so much again.

Luis Dudamel.
    My site. | My Instagram.

• Options
    nickjamisonnickjamison Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins

After weeks of slaving over this thing I have finally finished my complete overhaul of my site. PLEASE critique this thing into the ground fellow smugmuggers! Give me your worst!

http://www.nickjamison.com

nickjamison.com